FlyingScanian paints... whatever's gotten his fancy this time (Currently: Landsknecht and dwarves)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• My Imperial Guard are steadfastly marching along (mostly just need to base them now).

I just need to figure out what flag they should have... and since I'm pants at decision-making (especially small, almost inconsequential decisions) I need your help.

It will be some version of a Hapsburg imperial eagle, but which one?

Anyone have any suggestions at all? Especially if I should go for first one (a bit special, but also firmly anchored in history), third one (with a splash of colour, although my IG will all be firmly black and yellow) or one of the other two... and then whether two (just a tad more plain and simple) or four (slightly more elaborate) looks nicer... And I should perhaps save one of them for the SB...
      Don't hoard the fluff. The fluff wants to be free!

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here
    • Decided to go with #3 on these fellows. If I ever make a second Standard for Imperial Guard (so that I can field two units of them... I will certainly have enough models for it, these are gorgeous), I will use #4.

WastelandWarrior wrote:

(I was lazy and didn't put a picture on my banner and feel bad about it now!!)
      No need to sweat it, I'm gleefully cheating and using paper banners that require very little actual work... (seriously, just cut out the flag, dip in water/PVA mix, wrap around pole, give it some flow, let dry)

And here's the finished fellows.

Very fun to paint, I might just decide to field an entire army of these fellows, if it weren't for the fact that you don't get enough armoured bodies on each sprue...

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here
    • Klexe wrote:

How do you make paper banners work?

Which material? How to glue them?

never used something like that
      I will try to rememer doing a tutorial next time I do a banner, but the simple version is as follows:

Step 0: print out flag design, ordinary printer paper is excellent for this. You might also get flags in any historical kits you buy (so far, I've gotten some from Perry Miniatures and from Warlord Games). These are usually printed on "good enough" paper (a bit too thick and shiny for my preferences, but it certainly works, as seen above). Also, paint the standard bearer before glueing. Any final protective varnishing can be applied before or after flag.

Step 1: Cut out the flag, exactly. It's better to err on the side of a small sliver of flag missing, than visile lines on the edges

Step 2: Prepare a mix of PVA glue and water, going for roughly 50:50 mix, erring on the side of more water (I usually eyeball this, so it's probably closer to 33:67 glue:water)

Step 3: Fold the flag along the seam. It's easier to make it fit if it's been prefolded, and make sure it's not too large (I've had one flag be too tall to fit between the top of the banner pole and the hand of the miniature holding it). Trim down to fit.

Step 4: Dip entire flag in the glue-water mix, making sure that there's glue on all of it (but don't let it soak too long, be reasonably fast)

Step 5: Fit flag around flag pole, match up the two sides so that you get a minimum of white showing (white or mostly white flags are obviously easier for this).

Step 5.5: Shape the flag to make it flowing in the wind (as compared to paper straight) with your fingers. Easier if you imagine there's a reasonable wind blowing, so that the flag is not hanging down (practice makes perfect, I've yet to manage to make a hanging and not flowing flag). Also keep in mind that the flag needs to fit in with the miniatures around it.

Step 6: Let dry (I generally leave it for a day), best if he's standing free from anything that might get glued onto the flag, since it's sticky for a fair bit. Keep an eye on it, it's generally possible to repose the flag for about an hour if it tries to do something naughty, after that it's too set. If it sut droops a bit, that's generally fine, though.

• Little Joe wrote:

How do you keep the banner from sticking to your fingers?
      Never had the least bit of trouble with it, actually. Possibly because when I'm fiddling with it, my fingers are at least somewhat wet from the water-glue mix (which, when wet, acts more like lubricant on skin), and haven't had any truly failed flags where I've had to fiddle overly much while drying. Possible solution to that, is to wet fingers slightly when fiddling...