Did people throw away their armies when WHFB ended?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Did people throw away their armies when WHFB ended?

Not sure exactly where to put this, but I figured T9A would be as good a place to ask as any other. Please move if in the wrong forum. The below describes the demise of a Warhammer hobby group in south California when Age of Sigmar was released. My emboldening.

Fuggit Khan wrote:

I'm not trying to derail this thread into a Warhammer/AoS comparison, but let's face it...the death of Warhammer Fantasy at the hands of GW didn't exactly help. Yes, some people moved on to 9th Age, KoW, etc...but I believe that the majority of players just quit altogether.
      That's what happened to my old gaming store group, more than 40 people said *@#! it and left. The trash bin at the game tables, normally full of beer bottles, was full of tossed out armies. ...
      Display Spoiler

Colour me surprised and full of disbelief at coming across this part. That lots of people put their Warhammer armies on ice or even sold them, is well known and familiar, but throwing their collections away? The quite widespread and persistent rage and hate toward the replacement of WHFB with AoS is to be expected given flawed human nature, but I confess to not consider said nature (not even in these times of products being made to be broken, and mindset of just toss it out where once an effort at repair may have been attempted) to be so utterly flawed so as to see multiple people throw away what is in effect the focus of one's own hobby attentions for years on end; a considerable purchase in terms of money; and the fruit of one's pouring oneself into a project complete with personalized colour schemes and the odd conversions.

Seriously, I didn't think any hobbyists were that tied up and dependent upon the mother company, and especially not that ready to bin a collection without even waiting it out to see what the future holds in store. One would expect a healthy dose of egocentrism to figure into anyone's hobby, not such slavish dependence on anyone company no matter how market dominant.

So the above describes the situation at one gaming store group. Was this an extreme and isolated exception, or was this scene of thrown away armies more widespread across the community when the demise of Warhammer Fantasy Battle shattered it? Have you seen it happen yourself or perhaps even binned something yourself?

I'm genuinely curious, and not out for a round of AoS-bashing since it's just a wargame among many others, though don't be shy of describing communal reactions at the time when Age of Sigmar was first revealed since it's part of the story.

Be well
    • I would reckon that's quite an isolated case of people binning armies. It's not a cheap hobby so binning them makes zero sense when you've pumped hundreds of euro (or whatever currency) into buying the army and then all the hours of gluing and painting. I would guess a lot of them were sold, rebased or are just tucked away in boxes in people's basements.
      :O&G: :BH: :ID: :HE:
    • Id go as far as to say this never happened. Only attention seekers on youtube like death holy death burning his army on that clown tremendous's channel will have done anything similar. I would posit that noone just threw an army away with doing it fot effect or attention! (You could just put it on ebay if you didnt want it, not many people just burn their money, right?)
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army
    • WastelandWarrior wrote:

Id go as far as to say this never happened. Only attention seekers on youtube like death holy death burning his army on that clown tremendous's channel will have done anything similar. I would posit that noone just threw an army away with doing it fot effect or attention! (You could just put it on ebay if you didnt want it, not many people just burn their money, right?)
      Too far. I do trust Fuggit's word and know him to some extent, even cooperate in business. He is not know for dishonesty. Thing is, there are often a lot of sensible reasons why something idiotic can't possibly have occurred, but the evidence is still that something idiotic did occur... (Repeating pattern in historical studies.)

Fingers crossed for an isolated incident. And yes, attention-seeking must have played a part, and obviously one hobbyist throwing away his army may have inspired someone else to do something rash to be regretted. Obviously all 40 who quit didn't throw away their armies, the number of persons involved in that binning must have been low.
    • I don't know what most people did, but I'm a stubborn git and I sticked to WHFB 8th edition myself. Now, I'm intrigued by T9A and will try it soon. Personally, I just have too much attachment to my armies to the point that even if I stopped playing altogether, I would keep them even just out of sheer sentimental and display value. My hatred of AoS is however eternal and total. I tried to watch a single batred, but I couldn't finish it. I hate that game and what it represents with passion.
      Armies:

• Orcs & Goblins
      • Kingdom of Breton.. ah! I mean Equitaine! ;)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Kovlovsky ().

Id go as far as to say this never happened. Only attention seekers on youtube like death holy death burning his army on that clown tremendous's channel will have done anything similar. I would posit that noone just threw an army away with doing it fot effect or attention! (You could just put it on ebay if you didnt want it, not many people just burn their money, right?)
      I know a guy who did throw an entire army away when he decided he didnt like it (Tomb Kings in 8th Ed). So its not inconceivable... But I would certainly never do it
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • youngseward wrote:

WastelandWarrior wrote:

I know a guy who did throw an entire army away when he decided he didnt like it (Tomb Kings in 8th Ed). So its not inconceivable... But I would certainly never do it
      As a man with limited expendable income and an excessive respect for nice models I find this kind of thing madness!! (could you not have convinced him to give you the army?!)
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

youngseward wrote:

WastelandWarrior wrote:

As a man with limited expendable income and an excessive respect for nice models I find this kind of thing madness!! (could you not have convinced him to give you the army?!)
      One of the guys in the group took it from the bin and now has a UD army ;)
      Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
    • I know some people sold their armies extremely cheaply. I also know some people who treat their armies atrociously. And people who just buy hundreds of boxes and never play them. But I've never heard of anyone just throwing them away.
      Aspera tum positis mitescent saecula bellis;
      cana Fides, et Vesta, Remo cum fratre Quirinus,
      iura dabunt; dirae ferro et compagibus artis
      claudentur Belli portae; Furor impius intus,
      295saeva sedens super arma, et centum vinctus aenis
      post tergum nodis, fremet horridus ore cruento.”