Path ahead

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Hi,
    Gold edition is coming which will be a milestone in project development. From this point development will focus on armies. The Game will become a stable product with updates affecting mostly one army at a time. I wonder how should project develop from this point.

My dream is that T9A will become an open community hosting multiple games based on the same Background - Fantasy Battles, Skirmish Campaigns, RPG, maybe HC-style game. For me it would be best if T9A could attract fantasy fans and everyone could find something for himself here. Lets call it Background oriented development of Project.

But it is not the only path possible. Project has been focused so far on rules. It is quite possible to continue in that direction. Promoting Fantasy Battles rules as the main value can remain Projects policy. Development of other games would be supported only if based on the rules (e.g. Historical Battles) or serving the rules without being inner competition (Quickstarter). Project seems to be heading in that direction now (with QS self restricting the game not to compete with main rules). Or at least it is how I do understand this.

And what is your impression? Shifting project focus to creating open community around background would help, or quite opposite - it would put game at danger? And why?
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
    _____________Report your battle results using mobile app: T9A Magic Flux!
  • I think you can create a multi-dimensional dice of characteristics how to cluster games and then assign possible games to fill most of that dice.

1. formation/deployment
    a) Skirmish
    b) Rank&File (model bases)
    c) Rank&File (unit bases)

2. scale
    a) single model
    b) few models
    c) small/medium scale
    d) high scale

3. simplicity/complexity
    a) very simple
    b) rather simple
    c) rather complex
    d) very complex

4. micromanagement/options
    a) low
    b) moderate
    c) high

1234comparable to (examples)
    T9A Fantasy BattlesbdccWHFB
    T9A Quick Starterbcba/b(KoW?)
    T9A Warbandsbb/cc/db/c
    T9A Roleplay Gameaa/bdcD&D, Das Schwarze Auge
    T9A Skirmish Battlesab/cc/dcAoS
    T9A Epic Battlescda/bawarmaster, KoW, Hail Cesar

The only thing: QS is missing a fluffy name. :D

Quick Starter Team

Playtester

The post was edited 1 time, last by DJWoodelf ().

• I would rather split rank and file into ranked single models and subunits(sections, bases). And then QS becomes unique.

However even this cube does not solve all possibilities. What I have in mind when talking about Background base is e.g. a political card game (Shadows of Avras). A board game 'Pearl throne succession' or 'There can be only one - fight for ascension' . I am missing a game like Mordheim / Killteam with heavy background and maybe factions not exactly responding to armies - e.g. whole faction based on Gray Watchers and their agents using gryphounds...

Of course it is not Projects role to deliver all those products, just to allow companies and homebrew deliver them...
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
  • Most of OP suggestions rely on the development of the background. Especially for RPG type.

Following gold priorities should be
    Background
    FAB
    QS (looking forward to this one but still not quite sure about its mission statement_ I assume its about warband games and not necessarily to teach a watered down version of T9A FB but to introduce the world of T9A and common background for warband gaming)

Once those done then the RPG elements can come. OTOH nothing stopping people from developing these independently at the end of the day everyone is a volunteer.

For inspiration look what @SirMC2015 have written
  • JimMorr wrote:

I would rather split rank and file into ranked single models and subunits(sections, bases). And then QS becomes unique.

good idea.
    I considered that fixed unit bases as part of micromanagement, but your way makes it more obvious.

it's just that QS is still different from KoW, warmaster and Hail Cesar.
    QS still is Rank and File...it's just less micromanagement, because the starting formation is fix, but still you remove casualties.
    the other mentioned games have unit bases which you completely remove.

Quick Starter Team

Playtester

• I think part of the limits will be community support.

An RPG, great! who is going to do it?
    A cards game? not what I like but excellent! again...who will do it?

Right now T9A have a lot of potential but depends on a community, that even if consistent is still a limited resource, just like a normal company have limited resources, just we will not lack much money (probably) but time.

But again, some efforts don't have to be made from zero and be completely new. A system-less RPG is possible or using a generic ruleset like Savage World, GURPS, FATE, etc.

So, I agree with @matrim that one of the priorities to expand the lines (or making official campaigns or products) should be Background. With that, anything else coming will be tied to T9A and not be another generic historical fantasy.
  • JimMorr wrote:

My dream is that T9A will become an open community hosting multiple games based on the same Background - Fantasy Battles, Skirmish Campaigns, RPG, maybe HC-style game.
    That is precisely the long term goal. :)
    What you have seen is only what has been delivered, not what is intended.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • One of the problems I see regarding Background is community contribution. The chronicles of Lord Breslin were amazing and there will be work at that level, which purely because it has not been done by the Background Team will not be cannon.

I would love if that problems was fixed and in this case, people can propose community background to become cannon. So BT would read the piece and if they agree is up to the level and doent conflict other material it becomes cannon.

Same goes for art, pictures, battles reports.

• And for example the 9th scroll could be the way that background is made cannon.
  • deadbuc wrote:

And for example the 9th scroll could be the way that background is made cannon.
    I agree.

Let people write non-canon stuff as we flush out the world more.
    Then, use the scroll to take the homebrew (fluff and rules!) to make things 'official'

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• deadbuc wrote:

One of the problems I see regarding Background is community contribution. The chronicles of Lord Breslin were amazing and there will be work at that level, which purely because it has not been done by the Background Team will not be cannon.

I would love if that problems was fixed and in this case, people can propose community background to become cannon. So BT would read the piece and if they agree is up to the level and doent conflict other material it becomes cannon.

• And for example the 9th scroll could be the way that background is made cannon.

This is already done. BGT reads all the stories made by Non-staff, evaluates them and either incorporates them as a whole or takes elements from them that fit the setting that is being built. It is a difficult process because a lot of people have concepts and ideas from other settings they are familiar with and would like to see in T9A and it might no be possible to have that in the official background. :)

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • For me community background are not only new grand designs and ideas but also new forms of background delivery and all those small details that won't fit into army books. Good narrative, interesting characters, examples of local conflicts, places descriptions... All those things that could get approved seal but their subject or quality will not make them part of official materials.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
  • Giladis wrote:

deadbuc wrote:

One of the problems I see regarding Background is community contribution. The chronicles of Lord Breslin were amazing and there will be work at that level, which purely because it has not been done by the Background Team will not be cannon.

This is already done. BGT reads all the stories made by Non-staff, evaluates them and either incorporates them as a whole or takes elements from them that fit the setting that is being built. It is a difficult process because a lot of people have concepts and ideas from other settings they are familiar with and would like to see in T9A and it might no be possible to have that in the official background. :)
    Thanks for letting us know.

I have a suggestion. I play a videogame in which user created content can make it into the game as actual content and the creator gets rewarded.

In this case there is no reward but there could be posts on the blog were the full piece that has become cannon is shown so we are aware that the piece is now cannon and we can read/see/enjoy it in one go rather than going to the forum
  • Giladis wrote:

Will pitch it at the next BGT meeting.
    The reward could be a name drop in the source texts

"Letter from Strabo to Giladis, Elven Ambassador"

or something similar :)

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Haha, you should ask @Giladis about being name dropped in army books...
    Ask not what the project can do for you, but what you can do for the project :)

Don't forget that however convinced you are of your opinion on something in the project, or something it should/shouldn't do, there is someone out there holding on to the opposite belief just as strongly :D

Or, as Wasteland Warrior says, "Can't please any of the people any of the time!"
  • Glonojad wrote:

Except that Fireforge doesn't want to wait for a stable T9A ruleset and produces their own, which is a major failure of T9A in my opinion.

jirga wrote:

No it isn't.

9th age isn't everyone's cup of tea. Providing rules for their miniatures and creating their own world shows they have creative ambitions which aren't fulfilled by producing miniatures solely for someone elses IP.

New rules offer opportunity for people to play fantasy wargames who doesn't like the mechanics we use, or who are looking for some change.

Time of one company dominating what rules and models people are allowed to use are gone.

Glonojad wrote:

This IS a lost opportunity the way I see it. Back in 2016 there was no talk about FF setting up their own game, they wanted to support this project. Have a look at the first post...
    Let's move it here not to spoil Fireforge topic? Two years ago companies were cancelling their systems and settings to support T9A (Avatars of War). Now companies that started by making sets for T9A promote their systems and setting using T9A as distribution channel. I am not sure though if it is a failure or deliberate Project policy. To remain independent.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook
  • I don't see anything wrong with what Fireforge is doing.

Mierce has been a huge supporter of T9A and they have long had their own game and IP.
    Shieldwolf is doing great things to support T9A - and they have their own fluff.
    AoW was going to go its own route, but took a stand that the time, effort, and money to pursue its own game and IP was not worthwhile given T9A exisitng.
    Fireforge mulled it over and has decided to take a chance for their own ruleset, IP, and range.

There is NOTHING wrong with that in my opinion - its a risk they want to take which they think will net them decent returns on their line and products. I sincerely hope that happens.

Does that mean they won't support T9A? I doubt it, we've proven to be a huge help to them, and they have been a great partner to us. If their game succeeds - we succeed in having more models to pick from. If the game flounders but the range succeeds then we still get more models to pick from.

Regardless I hope this works well for Fireforge. Successful supporting companies (and their own games) is good for us as well.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

- Grouchy Badger