Let's help Eldan !

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Let's help Eldan !

Hello companions,

So, our friend @Eldan is one of the most dedicated and active participants on this forum, he's teeming with great ideas of background and army design, he's a very productive translator as well, but he seems very lonely and bored.

So, here are a few tips that I'd like to give him and others so that this companion's talents could be better used for the Greater Good.

Background :
    True, most of the BG is hidden, but that doesn't mean you can't discuss ideas with other people on the team.
    I saw the little arguing between Scottish Knight and Eldan, and can't say that both sides were absolutely fair.
    Eldan was pointing out that the Vermin fluff is not sufficiently developed, Scottish says they did the same for every army.

However, it is true that even though almost every human faction has got named characters and an idea of how their society works, including Vanhu and Sagarika,

True, not every race has had the luck to get a dedicated fluff article in the Ninth Scroll. So, in a sense, Scottish Knight is right to state that a lot has already been done for the Vermin.
    But on the other hand, I totally agree with Eldan that that Ninth Scroll article was particularly disappointing and empty. Half of the text was just basically a discussion between humans of whether Vermin exist.
    As Eldan correcty says, we don't even have the slightest idea of what their language could sound like, so it's difficult for him to start creating his own homebrew, since he doesn't even know whether his character should be named « Gaius », « Skrittitch » or Leonidas.

When we even officially know, again, that Vanhu speak Shona or that Ogres have Tibetan names.
    We have never had any official fluff on Dwarven Holds, but we already know by looking at the map that their cities have Semitic names.

Indeed, just one named character would be enough to infer how all the other homebrew characters should be named.

At this time, we know basically nothing, despite the fact that so much has been written on that faction already !

I know that when asked nicely, the BG team is ready to deliver some of the hidden information.

For example, I have asked clarifications on the Alihat religion, and obtained it.

We have asked the name of the Koghi empire ruler, and obtained it.

I'm sure someone could give Eldan a hand here.

Please ^^

––––––––––––

On the issue of translating fluff :

For the French language, when I arrived, only the Magic Book fluff had been translated by Golemcide, who has disappeared since then.
    There was already a good team for the army books, so I just joined for the fluff.
    I translated the whole fluff of the BRB, supported by the rest of the team for correction/review, then all the fluff of the ten issues of the Ninth Scroll, and now have started work on the WotDG full book.
    Other team members and non-team members (such as Dreadaxe and his tremendous work on the Åskland book) have taken up work as well (Murakami on the Sylvan elves book).

Now the question is – what to do with all that fluff ?
    Well, the full BRB and the full Magic Books have been lain out by Rantan and Eru.
    Unfortunately, those are v1.3 stuff……
    So very few people have noticed that epic work, sadly.

But in the meanwhile, I have taken up, with the help of Fenrie, the job of reposting individual, randomly-selected bits of fluff every working day since May on the Facebook French and Belgian pages. So stuff is getting published about at the same rythm as it is getting translated.
    Players read it, like it, and re-share it on their various local clubs pages.
    Later, we will start working on a Wiki Fluff website in French.

All this to say, Eldan, that I'm sure that noone will mind you starting actively work on the translation of the fluff in German and re-posting it here and there as you go along, as has been suggested by Just_Flo.
    I'd like to encourage you doing precisely that.

Not all players will read it and appreciate it, but a lot will, and most importantly, people will know that there is a fluff, even if they don't have the time to read it all at once and every day.
    And that can be a sufficient hook to get more people interested in our game and our universe, and joining the board.

So please do it ;)

And forget about WAP :D

@Scottish Knight @Calisson @Just_Flo @Eldan @Klexe
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • You probably did, but then, we don't have any settlements on the map or named characters, so until the BG team tells us, we can't know.

Also, thanks. This is a nice thread.
  • Shouldn't vermin be as alien as nids in 40k? Being partly rats with rats senses they would speak in language using frequences higher than human hearing range. Emotions instead of facial expresions would be made by tail moves combined with smell... I hardly believe communication except very basic level would be possible without magic means.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook

_____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
  • I have no idea what Orcs are and I really hope they are mammals not some fungi-men. Reptiles are ancient civilzation who kept all apes (short cave-apes, knife-eared pretty apes, fast-breeding strong apes) as slaves for millenia and they have developed ways to communicate... Still telepathy would be preferred probably.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook

• Agree, vermin are a lot like humans, as far as I can tell. They even live under our cities, just like rats they coexist somehow. there must be a lot of cultural contamination in both ways too. Maybe some things humans have in their folk lore and traditions are actually "humanized" vermin traditions and legend.

Maybe the vermin are not evil at all, that is just the humans side of history and they were not too evil as slavers, just like ancient Romans used slaves but were a great civilized empire. Maybe a freed human (freed by a benevolent vermin senator) betrayed the vermin empire and revolted, and humans think of him as a great hero, for vermin the hero is a traitor and example of human traitorous nature.

I think humans and vermin are very much alike, on the other hand...the beasts herds and specially the saurian are a lot more alien.
  • Eldan wrote:

You probably did, but then, we don't have any settlements on the map or named characters, so until the BG team tells us, we can't know.
    They mostly leave in underground settlements. Maybe they appear on the reverse side of the map...

And don't waste your time naming them. They better answer to a flute...

Fluff is the last part of imagination in this brute force game ! Have fun translating, many people will have fun reading your work. Some of them may even become new partner players. Viel Spass. Lass mal von Dir hören.
    Today, my opponent failed... to cooperate with my well-thought battle plan. I lost.

:HE: :SE_bw: :KoE: :DH:
  • They are former humans iirc so they try to emulate human ways... Yet they are trapped in bodies with very different set of senses. Each generation would be more alien then previous one. Banishment from Avres would cut last bonds with humanity... Vermin of today could be very different to Vermin Empire of old. A new species.
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook

• Vermin are what VERMIN say they are. Thats part of my disconnect with what fluff I've read. Its all from the perspective of outsiders. IMO the world would be best if it was full of conflicting information which would make it like a very complex puzzle that never really fit together right. Timelines don't always match and accountings of this or that varied depending on which perspective you read.
    The short blurb on VS says they scurried away defeated by the might of sunna, or some such thing.. only thats really just what the under empire wanted humans to believe. Meanwhile they continue to mine the powerful green stones which power their next great uprising. Or something to that effect. Or in other words the best writers for VS are those players who have immersed themselves in VS. Not EoS players writing about witnessing VS.
    AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE
    Undying Deathstar Construction Inc.
  • Yes, but they may be superbly traditional to compensate for their alienation and malformed existence.

Also, I believe a less alien race is easier to identify with, so better for marketing purposes.

The saurian are Aztecan/Mayan like because the image of ancient mesoamerica is bloody (the rituals) and because GW already used it... the jungle suit a saurian race too. You can identify with them as they are not alien at all, they are just a somewhat stereotypical vision of ancient mesoamericans with sharp teeth, claw and scales.
  • Right now, I am setting up a structure for Background translation into german. When I finished that I will collect the scources and than I will happily welcome him into Translation DE. So if my working speed is as fast as I predict, he will recieve his welcome to the team message in around one hour.
    AvB Trainee contributing to:

TA / ACS / PT / Content

Translation / United Nation DE

Insight into TA. An app to report your games.
  • Stygian wrote:

Vermin are what VERMIN say they are. Thats part of my disconnect with what fluff I've read. Its all from the perspective of outsiders. IMO the world would be best if it was full of conflicting information which would make it like a very complex puzzle that never really fit together right. Timelines don't always match and accountings of this or that varied depending on which perspective you read.
    The short blurb on VS says they scurried away defeated by the might of sunna, or some such thing.. only thats really just what the under empire wanted humans to believe. Meanwhile they continue to mine the powerful green stones which power their next great uprising. Or something to that effect. Or in other words the best writers for VS are those players who have immersed themselves in VS. Not EoS players writing about witnessing VS.
    Yes again, what if vermin say the other (humans, elf, dwarfs, giants) were vermin once?
    From an evolutionary point of view rodents evolved first, then came primates.

It's a magical world and people may have not evolved but is just as valid as the humans point of view right now.
  • Stygian wrote:

Did I miss something? What does DE translation have to do with VS fluff?
    Did I miss something? What does DE translation have to do with VS fluff?
    DE as in German.
  • Rolando wrote:

Stygian wrote:

Vermin are what VERMIN say they are. Thats part of my disconnect with what fluff I've read. Its all from the perspective of outsiders. IMO the world would be best if it was full of conflicting information which would make it like a very complex puzzle that never really fit together right. Timelines don't always match and accountings of this or that varied depending on which perspective you read.
    Yes again, what if vermin say the other (humans, elf, dwarfs, giants) were vermin once?From an evolutionary point of view rodents evolved first, then came primates.

It's a magical world and people may have not evolved but is just as valid as the humans point of view right now.
    We have definitely elaborated similar theories for how the Mukumbusu Giant Apes see humans : hairless chaos mutants.
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa