Sportmanship and ETC

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Sportmanship and ETC

Sportsmanship should always be your top priority. Over airconditioning; over beers. Cause if people can't behave, there is no incentive to facilitate them is there. Besides that, un-sportmanship-like stains the whole tournamemt, like @Stygian stated. That is why our national GT's follow these rules:

Penalties
      We want Alliance Open to be a tournament all feel welcome to visit. As such, we encourage
      sportsmanship and will address bad behaviour adequately. If we have reason to penalise, we will use the system below. We hope never to have to use such penalties though!
      1. First Warning: player will lose 10 points from his final score
      2. Second Warning: player will be excluded from this and future Alliance Open tournaments. This seems rigorously, but we feel if you manage to pull two official warnings, Alliance Open is no tournament for you.
      Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
    • International Standards for Sportsmanship

Unfortunately, this topic arises out of certain events/players and their conduct that were reported at this year's ETC. I think that sportsmanship, and the way we conduct ourselves at the local (and especially) the international level not only reflects us as individuals, but our game and the wider community. It's a shame we need to talk about this but alas here we are.This would be a good place to start discussing international standards for basic sportsmanship and how WE (as the community, cough* not just higher ups) handle toxic players/actions both within our organizations and abroad.
    • @Pellegrim:

I don't think direct punishment is the way to go.

How about increasing the importance of sportsmanship by granting more points for good behaviour.

This will lead to the normal case of very high points for your average player and a passive penalty for toxic player.

The end result will be the same, but with a better, positive signal ;) .
      Furion about our SeaGuard (V.0.202.0): "I don't expect much of them, and indeed not much have they delivered"
    • I'm going to mention two things I've seen in tournaments I've participated in (obviously not in T9A, but another game, which had a very friendly atmoshere, even in the larger tournaments):

1) The Default Score for sportsmanship was 4, on a scale of 1-5 (I have no idea how this factored into things afterwards), if you wanted to give your opponent anything else, you hd to both tell the judges and motivate why.

2) There were generally 5 awards: 1, 2, 3 place, Best Painted (because we weren't the GW kids that gamed with unpainted minis :P ) and Best Sportsman. These were usually awarded in order of 1st place, Best Sportsman, 2nd, 3rd, best painted. (Well, we also had the wooden spoon for the one who came dead last...)

I don't know if we could have this because we were generally reasonable adults and had a good "natural" sportsmanship, or if this is what lead to this good sportsmanship and general well-being. I would suspect a bit of a, a bit of b. But point 1) sets the expectations: we expect everyone to be on a sportsmanshiplevel of 4. Point 2) further emphasized it, Sportsmanship is more important than placement (except possibly the gold), being a nice and friendly bloke gets you more than a diehard WAAC unless you manage to pull it of spectacularly. Certainly helped that some of the usual suspects for first were also nice blokes (perhaps not on the level of Best Sportsman, but nice enough that it would rarely if ever be a problem).
      Don't hoard the fluff. The fluff wants to be free!

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here
    • I dont get it. That literally says "ok you can be an Ahole but we'll give you less point. You actually enable unwanted behaviour. That will never have the desired effect.

Literally, if you can't play a game in a way that acceptable for your opponent, find another hobby. We are not asking for you to be nice or make jokes, we are asking that do have a minimum amount of game courtesy.

Take rugby as an example. Talk back to a ref and be gone. Keeps the game clean.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pellegrim ().

• I agree with the OP. That policy is near zero tolerance. Its designed to never be used more than once. You loose your cool once it taxes you heavily as a reminder. The next time is the last.

The last thing I want is personal conduct rules that can be gamed like our games rules. Not when dealing with gamers.
      AVOIDANCE FAILS 28% OF THE TIME FOLKS. -SE
      Undying Deathstar Construction Inc.
    • I hate to put my work hat on, but;

Banning is a pretty serious outcome; most of us have too much money, passion and time invested in this great game. Is there;

- a clear criteria for what behaviour will get you a warning and/or banned?
      - an opportunity to state your case prior to banning
      - an independent person making the decision?

No one wants court proceedings, but prior to a banning I think you should know what will get you banned (lets not assume everyone does), and a case to state your case to an open mind.

that last one is particularly important if the problem involves the TO. Also Im sure the TO doesnt want that responsibility.
    • Pellegrim wrote:

I dont get it. That literally says "ok you can be an Ahole but we'll give you less point. You actually enable unwanted behaviour. That will never have the desired effect.
      My point is, it seems to work for us (or it could be that when someone becomes too much of an a-hole, we ask him to eitehr man up, or go play warhammer... it does kind of have a bad reputation around here for being full of WAAC manchildren with unpainted armies).

Of course, if someone would ever become threatening to a ref, I don't doubt they'd be gone more or less immediately. For that tournament and all others arranged in part by that ref. But I've never seen it happen, or even boing something anyone would imagine happening...

I guess I've just seen an unusually nice crowd of tournament players...
      Don't hoard the fluff. The fluff wants to be free!

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here
    • i can see how often the issue comes down to one players word vs another players with most cases little evidence or witnesses. However, It also seems that often these issues tend strangely linger around certain players time and time again. in these cases i feel that at a point the circumstantial and hersay evidence outweighs the presumption of innocence and at that time it is incumbent on the TOs of particular tournaments to warn, punish, and then ban offenders. That or we start videotaping every game for post game review
    • Actually the 9th Age has a pretty good downloadable tournament guide that has some excellent rules concerning sportsmanship. We used it in the rulespack for our GT's. Stuff like "always let your opponent clearly see what your dicing result is" and "taking away the dice that failed".

And this Sportmanship and ETC
    • Pellegrim wrote:

Actually the 9th Age has a pretty good downloadable tournament guide that has some excellent rules concerning sportsmanship. We used it in the rulespack for our GT's. Stuff like "always let your opponent clearly see what your dicing result is" and "taking away the dice that failed".

And this Sportmanship and ETC
      Are you able to direct us to the guide? I would be very interested in reading.
    • It's called Tournament Pack v1.1 and you can find it here: the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

In my opinion you will need a more strict penalty system. In our GT's we use the "you can F-up once rule; if you manage too pull warning due to poor etiquette, you are not welcome anymore".
    • Frankly, the OP seems too lax for certain classes of offense. Deliberate cheating or being physically aggressive towards a judge should mandate immediate ejection from the tournament, and lifetime ban from future events. No warning. These things are simply beyond the pale.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ