Dragons: Are they worth it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Dragons: Are they worth it?

New

So, I'm a fairly new player and have just ordered a dragon. I've been hoping to use it in the future since, well, I was expecting dragons to be powerful units. However, after looking at stats and talking to other players, I'm getting the feeling that dragons aren't so great.

I'd like to know what you all think about them. Although they have great attacks, as well as terror, only 4 armor and no special saves, and the fact that their stomp attacks won't affect larger units, makes me think they are very situational and may fall prey to many types of units, even ones that I would have thought they would be effective against (e.g. infantry units with poison attacks).

What are people's thoughts and uses for them?
  • New

They are not terror inspiring monsters that will make the enemy force want to say away but they are decent gaming pieces with certain advantages and disadvantages. Due to the nature of having high cost per wound suffered and not having protection that is spectacular they require a bit more careful usage to get their maximum. Usage of terrain is especially important against many armies in the opening stages of the game.

From personal experience I can say that Dragons with Wizards on top at the moment have a higher utility level than combat dragons to the greater versatility of usage.

Background Team

Conceptual Design

Rules Advisors

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • New

Giladis wrote:

They are not terror inspiring monsters that will make the enemy force want to say away but they are decent gaming pieces with certain advantages and disadvantages. Due to the nature of having high cost per wound suffered and not having protection that is spectacular they require a bit more careful usage to get their maximum. Usage of terrain is especially important against many armies in the opening stages of the game.

From personal experience I can say that Dragons with Wizards on top at the moment have a higher utility level than combat dragons to the greater versatility of usage.
    Thank you for the tips. I guess I'll just have to try them out a bit before making my final decision on them.

I just don't know see why they don't cost more but have 5 armor and maybe even an Aegis (6+)... it would make more sense for them if they are to be, well, powerful dragons.