Thoughts on hatred combined with battle focus

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Shane wrote:

Marcos24 wrote:

So imperial guard has basically a 2 attack profile with that combo now? :)
    Even better.

Cam wrote:

Marcos24 wrote:

So imperial guard has basically a 2 attack profile with that combo now? :)
    Plus all the other buffs they have 9590305 attacks per model.
    Ha!
    Me - “what do they have now?”

Opponent - “let me just check my synergies...”
    Master Of Fun Overpowered Synergies.....or MOFOS for us unwashed masses. :whistling:
  • Sir_Sully wrote:

MatRat wrote:

My intention was to show the distribution of results for something other than 1 attack, since all the arguments in this thread seem to be so focused on the possibilities associated with one attack.
    That's because it's the easiest way to compare things - use the easiest numbers to work out probability and expected values. If you use 5 attacks to work out the Expected value, you'd end up calculating more probabilities (of 0 hits, 1 hit, 2 hits, ... , 10 hits) and end up with a much more complicated calculation.
    Expected value scales multiplicatively, so if you know the expected value of 1 attack, you can easily work out the expectation for 5, 10, 20, etc. Using 5 attacks just makes the maths more difficult.

Marcos24 wrote:

What makes me more afraid of IG than your spearmen is the Bodyguard rule. I wouldn’t touch the IG from any angle unless I had at least three decent sized cavalry units do it at the exact same time. Otherwise, I play runaway the entire game and hope to kill enough of other stuff for a tie or minor victory. And that’s pretty freakin lame
    Spot on. It boils down to the fact that if I flank your Spearmen, I flatten them in 1 round. If I flank IG, they laugh it off.
    Frankly, no unit should be able to laugh off any flank or rear charge and the mechanics that let units do that (stubborn, Bodyguard, Unbreakable) need to be re-thought. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have these rules in the game, only that there should be some sort of penalty so they can't just reform to face and kick the stuffing out of whatever they're facing. Units that are designed to work like this are just badly designed - it's just as bad as the old cavalry hammer of 6th ed.

But anyway - that's all a bit off topic.

I dunno about that... you know what is a mechanic that allows units to defeat units that flank charge them? Hatred+Battle Focus on a big Minotaur brick.

Seriously. Put an arbitrarily deep brick of sword-and-board humans into the flank of Great Weapon Minotaurs (3 deep). Minos do about 8-9 wounds (inc. champ). Humans do 1-2 wounds. Humans are up by a rank, a (big) flank and a charge (+4), but down by 6 wounds (-6) (losing worse is plausible) and lose combat by (at least) 2. Minos reform for free, turn them into paste the following round.

:)

Background Team

• WhammeWhamme wrote:

Sir_Sully wrote:

MatRat wrote:

My intention was to show the distribution of results for something other than 1 attack, since all the arguments in this thread seem to be so focused on the possibilities associated with one attack.
    That's because it's the easiest way to compare things - use the easiest numbers to work out probability and expected values. If you use 5 attacks to work out the Expected value, you'd end up calculating more probabilities (of 0 hits, 1 hit, 2 hits, ... , 10 hits) and end up with a much more complicated calculation.Expected value scales multiplicatively, so if you know the expected value of 1 attack, you can easily work out the expectation for 5, 10, 20, etc. Using 5 attacks just makes the maths more difficult.

Marcos24 wrote:

What makes me more afraid of IG than your spearmen is the Bodyguard rule. I wouldn’t touch the IG from any angle unless I had at least three decent sized cavalry units do it at the exact same time. Otherwise, I play runaway the entire game and hope to kill enough of other stuff for a tie or minor victory. And that’s pretty freakin lame
    Spot on. It boils down to the fact that if I flank your Spearmen, I flatten them in 1 round. If I flank IG, they laugh it off.Frankly, no unit should be able to laugh off any flank or rear charge and the mechanics that let units do that (stubborn, Bodyguard, Unbreakable) need to be re-thought. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have these rules in the game, only that there should be some sort of penalty so they can't just reform to face and kick the stuffing out of whatever they're facing. Units that are designed to work like this are just badly designed - it's just as bad as the old cavalry hammer of 6th ed.

But anyway - that's all a bit off topic.
    I dunno about that... you know what is a mechanic that allows units to defeat units that flank charge them? Hatred+Battle Focus on a big Minotaur brick.

Seriously. Put an arbitrarily deep brick of sword-and-board humans into the flank of Great Weapon Minotaurs (3 deep). Minos do about 8-9 wounds (inc. champ). Humans do 1-2 wounds. Humans are up by a rank, a (big) flank and a charge (+4), but down by 6 wounds (-6) (losing worse is plausible) and lose combat by (at least) 2. Minos reform for free, turn them into paste the following round.

:)
    another totally pointless example that displays nothing useful whatsoever. Lets just swap the minos for mecverts, tower guard, swordsmasters etc etc etc and the results are pretty much the same. Its got very little to do with hatred plus BF and everything to do with the fact that the empire dudes are cheap and rubbish at fighting and the minos are expensive and super killy.
    Courageously crusading in the name of irreverence and flippancy since 1987.