Why Warriors of the Dark Gods don't pledge themselves directly to Chaos ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Scottish Knight wrote:

Essentially Father Chaos doesn't gather a faction to him at all. Interactions with mortals is done by servants of the Dark Gods. They entice mortals to swear the pact and pledge their souls. Those on the Path of the Exiled fight to avoid damnation by appealing to him directly, as their souls are already bound to the Dark Gods.

That said the examples we've set out are not intended to be exhaustive. They are the most common route, but the Warriors faction (and the world in general) can accommodate most unique scenarios.

Happy Aspid wrote:

How to formulate a question better?... hm... Basicaly this means that

Father Chaos don't give a damn about the entire organisation, leaving
      majority of activity for Dark Gods
      and their followers? And Fallen just plead to him because they know for
      sure that gods now ignore them and basically the only way for them to
      ascend is to impress Father Chaos enough for him to give them a fraction
      of his attention?

Shlagrabak wrote:

Or maybe, just like the head of a mafia group, he's removed from field
      work because he gets the benefits though his sons and daughters - the
      other dark gods
      - anyway. Once warriors fall off the path and lose their dark god
      mentor, their only option is to go "Don Chaos please, give me another
      chance, you'll see I'm worth your trust".

Then again maybe it's just that being twice removed from humanity (with in between the 7 dark gods who impersonate mortal aspects) simply makes he so foreign that any direct communication is simply not possible.

Calisson wrote:

Great explanation, @Shlagrabak
      Basically, the non-worshipping creatures may seek and find a Dark God
      without too much difficulty, but there is no way they could find
      Godfather Chaos' direct phone number, at least not before they are
      enlisted within the mob

Scottish Knight wrote:

I can see that there would be singular examples where it happened -
      unique stories of how it came to pass. The same way there could be
      someone who completely bypasses stages on the Paths of Ascension. They
      are the most common way of events happening (we need some structure to
      support the army book) but there will always be a chaotic aspect to the
      whole thing.

So like a peasant who wants to pledge himself to a King,
      99% of the time you are going to be turned away at the door, unless you
      have the favour of someone more important. But maybe 1 time something
      special will happen to draw his eye.

Happy Aspid wrote:

Another question. About sorcerers. Why they are not seeking ascension? What they are receiving for their service if such things as power, immortality, demonhood and other benefits are not enough for them? And what is their relations to Father Chaos? In the book it was mentioned that sorcerers are working directly for him.

Ghiznuk wrote:

All this about following a Dark God is even more crazy because in the end you turn into an Exalted Herald precisely in order to serve Father Chaos, not your Dark God anymore.
      This is written in Atharsaga part 2.
      I know what I'm talking about, I was translating it yesterday evening while watching TV with dear wife.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • And cultists. Where do they come from and what do they get out of it? They seem to put people on the path to becoming warriors, but why aren't they warriors themselves?
      Aspera tum positis mitescent saecula bellis;
      cana Fides, et Vesta, Remo cum fratre Quirinus,
      iura dabunt; dirae ferro et compagibus artis
      claudentur Belli portae; Furor impius intus,
      295saeva sedens super arma, et centum vinctus aenis
      post tergum nodis, fremet horridus ore cruento.”
    • In case of EH I think that they are already managed to prove themselves since the last trials are done not in the real world but behind the veil. Basically they have received the highest honor they could have asked for.
      But sorcerers are really a question for me since I have read fluff section of the book.
      DH - main
      WODG - secondary
      OK - passion project for the future
    • And it was said that even though unlikely, there may be a way to go directly for father chaos. Then what are your gifts?
      I would love to see the story of someone who went this path, skipping the ascencion. Like a forbiden rumor that some warriors have heard during their quest, that even the chosen lords fear to talk about as it might makes their god angry..
    • umbranar wrote:

Aren't the Barbarians the one who prove themselves first to become warriors and warriors on their turn try to prove themselves to become chosen?

Although according to the lore, they come from pretty much everywhere if even Saurians are accepted in the ranks.
      As far as I understand - you don't need to prove yourself to be accepted in Warriors, since all it takes is to sign up contract to sell your soul. As soon as you part with it willingly - Father Chaos loves you (may be his love looks strange and cruel).
      DH - main
      WODG - secondary
    • Happy Aspid wrote:

umbranar wrote:

Aren't the Barbarians the one who prove themselves first to become warriors and warriors on their turn try to prove themselves to become chosen?

Although according to the lore, they come from pretty much everywhere if even Saurians are accepted in the ranks.
      As far as I understand - you don't need to prove yourself to be accepted in Warriors, since all it takes is to sign up contract to sell your soul. As soon as you part with it willingly - Father Chaos loves you (may be his love looks strange and cruel).
      So your saying the Barbarians just tag along for the loot and the fun of it? (or being pressured into service I guess)
      :UD_bw: :WDG: :DE:
    • Since Father Chaos seems to be closely linked to beyond the veil stuff, for example with EH, I'm guessing his gifts would be also linked to the veil rather than accentuating human sins.

So perhaps sorcerers are the closest to what we can call Father Chaos' followers? From the army book they seem to have seen much more of the immortal realms/hell than the average ascending warrior, especially because they seem detached from human sins. So perhaps the gift of father chaos is an entrance to the other side of the veil
    • Aegitru wrote:

Since Father Chaos seems to be closely linked to beyond the veil stuff, for example with EH, I'm guessing his gifts would be also linked to the veil rather than accentuating human sins.

So perhaps sorcerers are the closest to what we can call Father Chaos' followers? From the army book they seem to have seen much more of the immortal realms/hell than the average ascending warrior, especially because they seem detached from human sins. So perhaps the gift of father chaos is an entrance to the other side of the veil
      The ability to go behind the veil was mentioned in the book. This is why I have this question - while sorcs are definitely not in the worst place (with all those skills and privileges), they are still just a mere mortals. This is why I have above mentioned question - why they not going even further? Why stop with some stuff, instead of having it ALL? Usually in majority of fantasy universes the wizards and other magicians are very power hungry, constantly seeking a ways to improve their personal power.
      DH - main
      WODG - secondary
    • Happy Aspid wrote:

Aegitru wrote:

Since Father Chaos seems to be closely linked to beyond the veil stuff, for example with EH, I'm guessing his gifts would be also linked to the veil rather than accentuating human sins.

The ability to go behind the veil was mentioned in the book. This is why I have this question - while sorcs are definitely not in the worst place (with all those skills and privileges), they are still just a mere mortals. This is why I have above mentioned question - why they not going even further? Why stop with some stuff, instead of having it ALL? Usually in majority of fantasy universes the wizards and other magicians are very power hungry, constantly seeking a ways to improve their personal power.
      Not sure they are not looking for more personal power but reading the book they sure try and sow chaos even among the warriors of the dark gods (the story about the chosen ignoring the orders and being pushed to just charge and kill).
      :UD_bw: :WDG: :DE:
    • Happy Aspid wrote:

In case of EH I think that they are already managed to prove themselves since the last trials are done not in the real world but behind the veil. Basically they have received the highest honor they could have asked for.
      But sorcerers are really a question for me since I have read fluff section of the book.
      I think you didn't get my issue. :)

What I don't understand is why there is no Exalted Herald of a Dark God.

There is no Exalted Herald of Envy or of Greed, etc.

The Warrior climbs the path by delving further and further into a particular sin – Envy, Greed, etc.
      So he is a Warrior of Envy then a Chosen of Envy then a Lord of Envy and then… a Exalted Herald of Chaos, plain and simple.
      (well, it can also be a Fallen gradually raising back to Exalted Herald, but that is not an issue)

So, why is that ??
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Only Father Chaos can make you ascend and he gives you your final test for ascension. Only Chaos Lord and Doom Lord can be given this test and if you make the test you become Exalted Herald, unbound from your Dark God. If you fail you become Forsaken One.

While Chaos Lord climbs the ladder being a mercenary to his Dark God and then his Dark God recommends him to Father Chaos, Doom Lord wants to impress Father Chaos himself.
      Army Design Team. :WDG: :EoS: :OK: :KoE: