Is T9A slowly dying..................NOOOOT!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Aegon wrote:

@elendor_f:

The problem is that these additions will take a long time as they won't be on the schedule until all army books received their full redesign.

So we are talking about 5 years or something on that scale, at least as far as I know.

If there are any contrary informations, I would be glad to hear them :) .
    There are multiple mini-projects aimed at more narrative and cinematic play. These are done alongside the core product and by a different team though final supervision is still in the hands of the RT and BGT :)

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • @Giladis:

Here are some ideas:

- Epic Magic

- Siege Battles

- Skirmish (like Lord of the Rings)

- Legendary Lords

- 4 player battles (everyone starts on each corner and want to reach the center of the table, with buffs for someone who is being attacked by more than one player)

- conqueror mode (a yearly season based global campaign with the worldmap seperated into different parts. like the game risk for example and with the whole community paricipating via battle reports)

To summarize it: Stuff that creates fun outside of balance focused tournaments ;) .
    Furion about our SeaGuard (V.0.202.0): "I don't expect much of them, and indeed not much have they delivered"
  • When a side game is missing:

- step 1: Homebrew it.
    It will give to players something to play with, rather than lamenting that something is missing.

- step 2: (much) later, the official team will decide to do it as a new mini-side-project.
    At this time, they will look at Homebrews and (beeing as lazy as anyone) will steal as much as they can from the existing Homebrew. For the better, if the Homebrew happens to be popular, and already tried.

Much better than the alternative, which is:
    - step 1: do nothing, keep your hands in pocket, just whine.
    - step 2: (much) later, the official team will decide to do it as a new mini-side-project.
    At this time, they will start from scrap and have no input from the community whatsoever, which makes it hit or miss.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Aegon wrote:

- conqueror mode (a yearly season based global campaign with the worldmap seperated into different parts. like the game risk for example and with the whole community paricipating via battle reports)
    Considering we are building a setting with history and not a setting for a story such global events that can change the course of future should not be expected. Learning from GW's experience such events lead to either of two things. Disappointment from the rules perspective because the rules cannot follow the changes in the background or disappointment from the background perspective because the events are played down so they do not upend the existing rule.

Each player is here to make their own story and progress their own private background. The official background is the canvas that allows the individual to paint their adventure.

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • elendor_f wrote:

Adicto wrote:

Boarskullhamma wrote:

Havent been on this in months so I decided to check back on it. Surprisingly there hasnt been a lot of Batreps e.g. from oncebitten360 or any army book updates. I play BH and the last time they updated was still 2017? Does anyone know what happened with T9A?
    T9A isn't dying, it just has completed its transition into ruleset tailor-made for competitive play, and you know competitive guys can get very possessive about their builds and tactics... Honestly, there really isn't much T9A stuff ro discuss unless you're an ETC die-hard or singles junkie, as the cliched and purposely generic bits of fluff released so far only last for a few hours of yawns and facepalms with your friends.
    Forgive my optimism but I think NOW is when many things open up, because when you have a stable rulebook is when you can start building upon it extensions like campaigns. There are already several rules for this purpose in the forum, and also a collection of scenarios.Being a nay-sayer sure looks cool, but I think there are many positive things that can (hopefully will) come in the future for non-competitive fantasy wargaming.
    (I would very much like to believe that you're right, but...)

The counterpoint is obvious: you don't need perfected rules to put out some text explaining what a Dancer of Yema, Rhamphodon or Gnasher is, allowing for new people to get into this without having to backtrach through "what was this named in warhammer, and what models did gee-dubs provide for it?".

The evil part of me wants to say "but the fluff doesn't matter for balance, so of course they don't give two coppers for it..." I kind of know that it's not true (since we do have three FABs, with more supposedly on the way, and keep hearing about this nice beautiful background there supposedly is), but the feeling is there...

We don't need campaigns right now, we first need a basic understanding of what our units and factions are.
    Don't hoard the fluff. The fluff wants to be free!

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here
  • Aegon wrote:

@Giladis:

Here are some ideas:

- Epic Magic

- Siege Battles

- Skirmish (like Lord of the Rings)

- Legendary Lords

- 4 player battles (everyone starts on each corner and want to reach the center of the table, with buffs for someone who is being attacked by more than one player)

To summarize it: Stuff that creates fun outside of balance focused tournaments ;) .
    These are in the works. I’m waiting for Gold so that I don’t have to change a bunch of rules for campaigns or to drop it now, only to have a different rules set drop shortly after.

Multi player
    Campaigns
    siege
    Naval Battles
    Axes and Allies....

First campaign from my team should be ready to drop first half of 2019. Five game linear campaign with a taste of naval and siege. So there is fluff coming. There are several great Homebrew items as well in that section.
    B. "Skunk Butt" Jones - Member of the CGL :oldmen:
    • Owner of BH, DL, DE, DH, EoS, HBE, ID, KoE, O&G, OK, SA, SE, VS, UD, VC, & WotDG. YES! My conquest is complete! I now have every Army and my bias will be for each FAB to be great! Yes, it is a sickness. :thumbsup:

Conceptual Design

Playtester-Mid Atlantic USA

CGL 2018 Worst Player Winner

• FlyingScanian wrote:

elendor_f wrote:

Adicto wrote:

Boarskullhamma wrote:

Havent been on this in months so I decided to check back on it. Surprisingly there hasnt been a lot of Batreps e.g. from oncebitten360 or any army book updates. I play BH and the last time they updated was still 2017? Does anyone know what happened with T9A?
    T9A isn't dying, it just has completed its transition into ruleset tailor-made for competitive play, and you know competitive guys can get very possessive about their builds and tactics... Honestly, there really isn't much T9A stuff ro discuss unless you're an ETC die-hard or singles junkie, as the cliched and purposely generic bits of fluff released so far only last for a few hours of yawns and facepalms with your friends.
    Forgive my optimism but I think NOW is when many things open up, because when you have a stable rulebook is when you can start building upon it extensions like campaigns. There are already several rules for this purpose in the forum, and also a collection of scenarios.Being a nay-sayer sure looks cool, but I think there are many positive things that can (hopefully will) come in the future for non-competitive fantasy wargaming.
    (I would very much like to believe that you're right, but...)
    The counterpoint is obvious: you don't need perfected rules to put out some text explaining what a Dancer of Yema, Rhamphodon or Gnasher is, allowing for new people to get into this without having to backtrach through "what was this named in warhammer, and what models did gee-dubs provide for it?".

The evil part of me wants to say "but the fluff doesn't matter for balance, so of course they don't give two coppers for it..." I kind of know that it's not true (since we do have three FABs, with more supposedly on the way, and keep hearing about this nice beautiful background there supposedly is), but the feeling is there...

We don't need campaigns right now, we first need a basic understanding of what our units and factions are.
    To be honest, I see T9A as a blank page that you can fill on your own. Personally, I just use Warhammer Fantasy fluff. That way I can keep it alive. Still, if the background team end up releasing some good OnG or Equitarian fluff, I will probably read it. But I just have a too big emotional attachment to the fluff of my favorite green skinned british hooligans to let it go. :P
    Armies:

• Orcs & Goblins
    • Kingdom of Breton.. ah! I mean Equitaine! ;)
  • @Calisson:

What gives you the impression that I:

Calisson wrote:

do nothing, keep your hands in pocket, just whine.
    This time I won't take the bait and just leave it as is.

One little example though: I played my Archmage on an Ancient Dragon without approval from the politburo ;) .

@skipschnit:

Good to hear that; looking forward to these addons.

Thanks for the insight.

I'am especially interested how these naval battles will turn out :) .

Giladis wrote:

Considering we are building a setting with history and not a setting for a story such global events that can change the course of future should not be expected. Learning from GW's experience such events lead to either of two things. Disappointment from the rules perspective because the rules cannot follow the changes in the background or disappointment from the background perspective because the events are played down so they do not upend the existing rule.

Each player is here to make their own story and progress their own private background. The official background is the canvas that allows the individual to paint their adventure.
    I wasn't talking about changes to the background.

That is the reason I mentioned season based campaigns.

After a season the setting would turn to the default state and there would be certain "safe"-areas (like a region with a capital city).

Anyway, it was just an idea how to make battle reports more exciting and to connect the whole community in one ongoing campaign, without direct impact to the background.
    Furion about our SeaGuard (V.0.202.0): "I don't expect much of them, and indeed not much have they delivered"
  • Kovlovsky wrote:

if the background team end up releasing some good OnG or Equitarian fluff
    From what I've seen in the BG threads - Its really cool.

I'm a big OnG fan from back since 5th, and bringing my 6th edition era army up to speed is my next goal after rats are 'done' at 4500 points.

KoE? It was my first army with knights in shining armour also back in 5th - I haven't really delved into that because I haven't had to yet - but its a simpler thing to figure out then the non-human peoples.

I think EVERYONE on the team is looking forward to moving the project along in a post-gold world.

I'm really excited to see what we do - there's a lot of cool modules that won't detract from FAB (different teams) but they will add a lot of character to the games.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• As much as I like this game, I fear it's not going to have much of a future if it doesn't find some kind of business model. Perhaps an actual professional writer who could work on the fluff full time should be hired. Perhaps donations should be give more visibility, using a progress bar as a goal setting. I am sure you can donate for the project, but where? I can't even tell, it hasn't caught my eye.

If you don't know what you are donating for, and how much has been donated by others, it feels pointless to donate and nobody will do it.
  • flammy` wrote:

As much as I like this game, I fear it's not going to have much of a future if it doesn't find some kind of business model. Perhaps an actual professional writer who could work on the fluff full time should be hired. Perhaps donations should be give more visibility, using a progress bar as a goal setting. I am sure you can donate for the project, but where? I can't even tell, it hasn't caught my eye.

If you don't know what you are donating for, and how much has been donated by others, it feels pointless to donate and nobody will do it.
    Yes lets make the entirely volunteer project thats non-profit follow a business model. What could possibly go wrong.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • It's just that in my experience you can only gobso far with free stuff. There is a point where you need people to work full time to improve a product. You also need money for marketing if you want to have any hopes of making your product known.

As I said an alternative would be to try to give more incentive to donate like wikipedia does sometimes.
  • flammy` wrote:

It's just that in my experience you can only gobso far with free stuff. There is a point where you need people to work full time to improve a product. You also need money for marketing if you want to have any hopes of making your product known.

As I said an alternative would be to try to give more incentive to donate like wikipedia does sometimes.
    The only way people will donate is when the core book is done done done and they dont have to worry about those rules changing for a couple of years. Until that time, a profit alternative is essentially non-viable.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • profit is never gonna happen.

Hiring staff - highly unlikely.

Once you open that up, everyone can begin demanding money for their time.

It undermines the whole point of the project.

Head of Lectors

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Plus, way to open up more entitlement from a fringe of the forum users when inevitably a decision goes against their personal preference/request. "I gave you my money and we get this hot garbage? I demand this be fixed." You know, like most video game discussion boards (especially if there are DLC or subscription).
    I'd rather have the slower but steady situation we have now.