Feedback about 2.0 DL book

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Feedback about 2.0 DL book

Hey all, as the title says, this thread is to provide feedback about the newly released draft of the DL 2.0 book.
    "An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"

-Aragorn, son of Arathorn
  • The 2.0 DL PT book has been leaked for about an hour now.

I started a thread in the PRO. Contingencies are slow. Regardless it’s been out long enough that people have downloaded it, and scrubbing it from the private chat groups, and pages it’s been posted to will be excruciating.
    I type on mobile so my spelling mistakes can hide that English is my native tongue. :write: :HE: :KoE:

Evershade Gaming on YouTube
    youtube.com/channel/UCKjjkWnXanizMuTh5obkxpA

theforgottenturtle.com An Awesome Painting Blog
  • why do a complete army reboot from 2.0? These constant changes are going to kill the game for good in my community. Some of us just got back in, started building armies and spending $ on models. I'm sure after this our community which used to be over 20 in 8th dwindle to 6 and after this there might only be 1 person who even considers 9th age. We are tired of the changes and being told the game is stable when it obviously is not.
  • Rboaz wrote:

why do a complete army reboot from 2.0? These constant changes are going to kill the game for good in my community. Some of us just got back in, started building armies and spending $ on models. I'm sure after this our community which used to be over 20 in 8th dwindle to 6 and after this there might only be 1 person who even considers 9th age. We are tired of the changes and being told the game is stable when it obviously is not.
    The Full Daemon Legions book for the 9th Age has been in works for 20 months now with periods of pause and have been talked about multiple times. I am not sure how this is a surprise.

All Army Books are going to get a their releases with background and artwork but made compatible with the 9th Age setting. That has been announced all the way back in 2016 when the work on Warriors of the Dark Gods began, a book that is now it the final phase of external beta playtesting and will soon get a book which will remain unchanged rules wise for years. Cost of units will be evaluated and potentially adjusted in most likely annual pre-season updates.

The Daemon Legions are our second Full book of the next generation.

If you have particular questions I will try and answer them as best as I can.

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG:
  • well it's news to those of us jumping out and then back in with all the changes then back out of the game because we cant keep up. This is the only form of media other than a couple of you tube channels and they are not clear on what is going on. The game has changed entirely to much too quickly for anyone casual player to keep up. Heck it takes 20 months to buy and convert and paint up a great looking army and by the time it's done..... it's no longer viable. I pushed 1.0 in my community. It changed I pushed 2.0 and tried to get people excited and all the armies are changing. Our community which used to be 20 strong is down to like 2 people who give a crap and only kind of. And now we are told to wait yet again army books are changing, but we will decide on rules eventually. It's never going to be balanced, it's not meant to be, if we wanted that we would play chess. It's going to have bad matchups. Make a decision see it through in a timely manner and put out rules and live with them unless something breaks the game. The community will not and can not grow like this. It can keep a few hardcore players, but they are the only ones who will be playing a dead game. I want 9th age to succeed so I can play a game that isrelevant, but so far it has been a disappointment for me and a lot of others.
  • I have an idea. Hammer put 2.0 basic rules and set them in stone for a few years. Right now with the beta rules static shooting is bad and Cav is struggling with all the spears. iron that out a little bit and release those rules. Keep the generation of books you have now and only tweek what is broken. Once all the new Gen Books are out and balance each other. Release them all together with a HUGE announcement over all the possible media places you can when it will drop then drop it all at once. That way the game is still balanced within itself until all the books are done.
  • Rboaz wrote:

I have an idea. Hammer put 2.0 basic rules and set them in stone for a few years. Right now with the beta rules static shooting is bad and Cav is struggling with all the spears. iron that out a little bit and release those rules. Keep the generation of books you have now and only tweek what is broken. Once all the new Gen Books are out and balance each other. Release them all together with a HUGE announcement over all the possible media places you can when it will drop then drop it all at once. That way the game is still balanced within itself until all the books are done.
    Dude no...

That's a terrible idea. Continued releases gather interest in the game. 5 years of nothing would doom it.

P.s. I'm not sure they are ok with talking about the book guys. They obviously didn't want to release it here. Unless we get the ok, I don't think we should.
  • I applaud his actions. The secrecy surrounding this project lacks any merit. It is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
    "An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"

• what did you applause ? the release of an old alpha book, created i don't even know when with so many things already changed in it that you absolutely can't even use it ? well, in that case i'll create my own DL army book it will be as useful as this one ^^

there is reasons behind all this secret policies, they could spoil more things or change some things in their way of doing but all of them have good intention...

@Rboaz, the current "beta" book didn't change since months and will be the one used for all the upcoming years, for the DL book we know here for more than a year that it'll change, but only the rules / fluff part, you'll keep the same army with almost the same fonction and stats for each unit, you'll basically just change your lists... we will need to learn how to play the new units and how the changed rules impact our playstyle but it's the same thing for every game when a new version come out, and if players don't like change, well, yes chess is a better idea :)
  • IoRi78 wrote:

grungimusic wrote:

I applaud his actions. The secrecy surrounding this project lacks any merit. It is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
    where is the merit in spoil something that is not finished and subject to change?
    Where is the harm?

• grungimusic wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

grungimusic wrote:

I applaud his actions. The secrecy surrounding this project lacks any merit. It is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
    where is the merit in spoil something that is not finished and subject to change?
    Where is the harm?
    that people make wrong ideas, maybe buy models or sell on false/not finished ideas? than come here to complain that we have fooled them?

at this stage even Quick Starter information are wrong.

so tell me, where is the pro in all of it?

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins

• IoRi78 wrote:

grungimusic wrote:

IoRi78 wrote:

grungimusic wrote:

Where is the harm?
    that people make wrong ideas, maybe buy models or sell on false/not finished ideas? than come here to complain that we have fooled them?
    at this stage even Quick Starter information are wrong.

so tell me, where is the pro in all of it?
    If the caveat is clearly stated that its a wip, then they have no one to blame but themselves.

On a separate note, I find it ironic that would be listed as a concern, when serious consideration is given to changing war machine bases at the very last minute.

• Desmoze wrote:

what did you applause ? the release of an old alpha book, created i don't even know when with so many things already changed in it that you absolutely can't even use it ? well, in that case i'll create my own DL army book it will be as useful as this one ^^

there is reasons behind all this secret policies, they could spoil more things or change some things in their way of doing but all of them have good intention...

@Rboaz, the current "beta" book didn't change since months and will be the one used for all the upcoming years, for the DL book we know here for more than a year that it'll change, but only the rules / fluff part, you'll keep the same army with almost the same fonction and stats for each unit, you'll basically just change your lists... we will need to learn how to play the new units and how the changed rules impact our playstyle but it's the same thing for every game when a new version come out, and if players don't like change, well, yes chess is a better idea :)
    I maintain that the intention all along has been to "move as far away from legacy as possible" which is a quote I attribute to someone who has driven rules creation for several armies. Consistent with this philosophy, I think the FABs will include a number of radical changes made to units considered too "legacy". By keeping these changes secret, they can release them in relatively small doses on a staggered schedule, operating on the premise that we, the community, are the frog which will allow itself to be boiled so long as the temperature is increased very slowly.

If I am wrong, and this is paranoid nonsense, then I will happily offer a public apology (assuming I still have the ability to post on these forums at that time).

• grungimusic wrote:

I maintain that the intention all along has been to "move as far away from legacy as possible" which is a quote I attribute to someone who has driven rules creation for several armies. Consistent with this philosophy, I think the FABs will include a number of radical changes made to units considered too "legacy". By keeping these changes secret, they can release them in relatively small doses on a staggered schedule, operating on the premise that we, the community, are the frog which will allow itself to be boiled so long as the temperature is increased very slowly.
    If I am wrong, and this is paranoid nonsense, then I will happily offer a public apology (assuming I still have the ability to post on these forums at that time).
    I love the level of collusion and conspiracy implied by this post.
    I haven't been part of a secret society before, it is kinda exciting :D

I mean RT fight on meetings like cats and dogs over what the basic structure of updates should be (you know cos we are all humans with different opinions and different experiences), but apparently we have this grand plan to hoodwink the entire community. Awesome :) Maybe there is an inner-inner circle that I'm not part of? The plot thickens...

Right now, I personally have no idea how big the changes will be from most of the slim books to FABs. There seems to be a fair level of consensus that WotDG and DL will be at the top end in terms of the amount of changes but little beyond that. I don't have your crystal ball though. If you could drop me a PM with the future EoS FAB that would be great I would like to get a head start on reviewing it.

Given the last version of the DL book that RT reviewed (which is not the one that has been leaked, the leaked one is out of date), I am personally quite excited about many things in it :D
    Ask not what the project can do for you, but what you can do for the project :)

Don't forget that however convinced you are of your opinion on something in the project, or something it should/shouldn't do, there is someone out there holding on to the opposite belief just as strongly :D

Check out my new ID blog
    Dan ventures into the lands of smoke and fire

And some basic tactics for beginners (I should develop this properly at some point)
    No 'tactics for beginners' thread?