On the issue of leaking, I think there are different minds sets here. The problem that I see is that many are so focused on what they individually want, they are heedless (or simply don't care) how their actions may impact others.
As an example, we have the DL army book that is being redone. I don't have to explain why to @grungimusic as he is very well aware of the issues and these have been discussed at length. But the concept of making our book the same as GW's deamons book was not an option. But lets get to the specifics.
RT review comes back that it pushes the guidelines to far. OK, *crumple* start again. There are many reasons and none of which in my book relate to the community not liking the direction. If the community does not like the direction, secrecy will not help that. That's a much bigger and more fundamental issue.Well, you know I'm not a big secrecy guy. But I can understand and respect the reasoning as to why others do want it. My individual opinion on this subject is in the minority. So I respect the decisions of the project even though I'm on the ExB and my not agree with a particular course of action. But this project is not just about ME and what I WANT. It's about a large group of people that have decided to work together and to compromise to reach a goal that works for those giving their time, efforts and energy. I have always liked @Nicreap and he has been a friend of mine for a while now. Seriously, he and I have gotten along pretty well and we share a lot of common viewpoints. But leaking is not one of them.DL TT and all the staff contributing to the DL army book, who have been working on this book for the last year and a half? How does taking their work without their consent and posting it in an unfinished form all over the Internet not rise to the level of "insulting"? It's not his to release.or that we need this kind of secrecy in the first place. All I see here is calm and genuine curiosity.
Now, your answer might go to the "there is no harm so there is no foul" argument. But that glosses over the primary issue, namely that this is group project and there is a decision made by a majority. I respect that decision even if I prefer that it was different. If we don't have a functional project with decisions being made and respected as a project, then we don't have a project anymore.
You know I appreciate all the work you have done on the project in the past and all the time intensive work you currently do building the US tournament scene. Your work is IMO just as important as any work on staff. But I can't agree with you here on this issue.
Some good points and well stated points as always; let me see if I have this distilled correctly:
1. Leaks are disruptive to the creative process
2.We might not agree with the secrecy of the project, but we should respect the majority who do
3. Leaks are disrespectful to the creators of leaked material
4. If staff does not follow an orderly process, our own "rule of law", then the project breaks down.
1. It's the Internet, you can filter who you want and respond to what you want. Pm's are not even roughly analogous to an actual person sitting over your shoulder, making annoying suggestions.
2. I strongly disagree that the secrecy policy is the will of the majority of our community. The majority of the ExB and founders perhaps, but their will does not reflect ours. They sit from on high and dictate these policies to the rest of us. You're right, it isn't about what I want, it's about what WE want.
3. This would only be true if the policy of secrecy were a mandate by the creators themselves, and not dictated to them by the ExB. Let me ask you this: If a creator of the DL book WANTS to release material early or otherwise discuss it with the public, but the ExB prohibits them from doing so, is that not also disrespectful to the creators?
4. A fair point. But let me reiterate here that neither Nic nor I have an malice towards the project or its creators. This is an outstanding game and I would not see it harmed. That's why I am here typing and not doing something else.
"An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you *stand, Men of the West!*"
-Aragorn, son of Arathorn
-Aragorn, son of Arathorn