Is there a persian themed human nation in T9A?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    • Is there a persian themed human nation in T9A?

      Hey people! As someone with numerous historical interests, one of these are the Persian empires of Antiquity and especially both the Parthian and Sassanian Empires. I was wondering if there was a state or region that was a "Persia analogue". As far as I know, Avras is similar to the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantium); Sagarikadesha is inspired from India; and apparently there are Arab analogues.

      For a long time, I didn't found Sassanid miniatures that really caught my attention. The Gripping Beast ones were rather nice, but they felt a little too cartoonish and old school to my liking. But recently I stumbled on Aventine Miniatures Sassanids and was really impressed. So, I'm trying to find a way to use them as I currently know no one who plays historical miniatures games.

      If no persian state actually exists currently in T9A fluff, it should be adressed somehow. The Parthians and later the Sassanians were the great rivals of Rome, not only holding their ground successfully, but also defeating Rome many times. In their last war against Rome, they almost conquered Constantinople until Heraclius led a coup and turned the tide. Even after the Arab conquest of Persia, not only some great Persian state emerged there, but persian culture, administrative practices and language had a deep influence on both Arab and Turkic conquerors. Unfortunately, the extremely destructive Mongol Invasion reduced Persia to a regional power for a long time. Since our setting is quite inspired from history, I think there is a room for Persia.

      I'm not at a point where I'm ready to make anything homebrew whether it's an entire new codex or a Equitarian sub army. I just want to see if there is something for me in the background side of thing. Oh and I'm not interested into the Chaos Dwarves. I know they have Immortals, but it's not what I seek. I want heavily armored and colorful cataphracts crushing wavering infantry lines, not Babylonian Dwarves infantrymen running along centaurs. :P





      Armies:


      • Orcs & Goblins
      • Kingdom of Breton.. ah! I mean Equitaine! ;)

      The post was edited 3 times, last by Kovlovsky: Added 3 pictures. ().

    • ID cover the Assyrian - classical Persian area and (to some degree) imagery. More importantly, they physically inhabit that area of the world. (You can't have human historical analogs everywhere and stick in fantasy races. You might not like where ID have taken the themes (classical Persian rather than Sassanid), but that's what T9A has.

      (When I say classical Persian, I mean the Achaemenids, ie, Darius et al.)

      (Edit: By all means, make a sassanid-themed KoE or Empire army, I think that would be awesome, but it's probably not going to become 'official'.)
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Squirrelloid ().

    • JimMorr wrote:

      Yeah... Pershia is luckier than Turks anyway... I really hoped for VS to become more Ottoman than Roman...
      At one point I argued for DE to be based on Ottoman Empire and associated tribute states (with the Corsairs being based in Morocco and Tunisia analogs), and was told the project was committed to DE being new world. :shrug:
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

      Legal

      Playtester

      Chariot Command HQ

    • If there is none at all, then the background team, as a tip, might want to consider smuggling in a minor smattering of Persianate human kinglets and city states down southeast in Infernal Dwarf lands, most of which could be tributary vassals to one Infernal Dwarf faction or another (with only a minor part to play in the bigger picture of things, and outnumbered by their stunty conquerors), and many of which would harbour a glowing desire to break free.

      Think auxilliary contingents of Persian-style humans showing up in some Infernal Dwarf battlelines (cannon fodder, fickle flank guards, supplement to Taur'ruk heavy centaury). Think endless intrigues and backstabbery, both within such usually subdued statelets and against their Infernal Dwarf overlords (everybody knows that Dwarves are superior, but Manlings are slow on the uptake). Think human leaders acting independently with raids and minor campaigns against non-Infernal Dwarf neighbours. Think ambitious princes and hopes flying high in daredevil rebellions. Think all hope and life crushed in an orgy of vengeance killings, city razings and landscape burning to satiate both Assyrians and Mongols (ID and their Hobgoblins should have a streak of cruelty, after all!) whenever upstart human lordlings imagine they can challenge the might of the tall hats, and get away with it in skirmishes and minor battles for a while. Think desperate walled cities pleading for mercy in the face of overwhelming Infernal Dwarf might out for their blood.

      Think endless streams of slaves and materials trickling to Infernal Dwarf holdings from their terrified human underlings. Think remnants of ruined realms, clinging to existence tooth and nail, bowing the neck when necessary yet all too often willing to test fate. Think curse-laden, burnt-out ruins of once great cities where large human populations once lived, now home to but ghosts and foolhardy goatherders. Think resettled ruins, where the living city covers only a small portion of the once greater settlement, with city walls cutting across the streets and bazaars of the ruinscape. Think a cycle of dread and danger, yet also unyielding fires of hope and martial pride burning in the chests of these marginalized remnants of once-great human peoples. Think fall of cities so baleful as to make a heart of stone bleed, as the full, enslaved Daemonic horror and madness at the disposal of power-crazed Infernal Dwarves gets unleashed in all its bloodthirsty devastation.

      Think shards of a broken mirror, under the grinding heels of Infernal Dwarf overlords. Under the yoke. Recovering, flagging hope, resurgent rebellions, horrendous suppression to put the fear of Zalaman Tekash and all her dreaded holdings back into the hearts of the scattered and small remnants of Man.

      Think surviving embers still glowing vibrantly amid the ashes from a fire that has been all but quenched in a harsh and ruthless world, swept away by the flow of history in all its myriad forms of horror.

      The post was edited 8 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • Thanks for the answers guys!

      Squirrelloid wrote:

      ID cover the Assyrian - classical Persian area and (to some degree) imagery. More importantly, they physically inhabit that area of the world. (You can't have human historical analogs everywhere and stick in fantasy races. You might not like where ID have taken the themes (classical Persian rather than Sassanid), but that's what T9A has.

      (When I say classical Persian, I mean the Achaemenids, ie, Darius et al.)

      (Edit: By all means, make a sassanid-themed KoE or Empire army, I think that would be awesome, but it's probably not going to become 'official'.)
      Yes, I understood that you were talking about the Achaemenid Empire. I have nothing against Chaos Dwarves. Some miniatures companies make really nice miniatures for them, it's just not really the army I want to play. BTW, they always felt to me more Mesopotamian (Assyrians, Babylonians, etc.) than Persians, especially since they practice mass slavery which was rather marginal in Ancient Persia. But, Sassanid ID would have been a bit strange since Dwarven heavy cavalry would be a bit awkward. I guess they could have cataphract centaurs though which might actually look great. :P

      I thought about using the KoE rules. They would fit rather well. It's just that already have an almost complete KoE army right now. I might go for Empire since I have always loved that army. I will think about it.

      Squirrelloid wrote:

      JimMorr wrote:

      Yeah... Pershia is luckier than Turks anyway... I really hoped for VS to become more Ottoman than Roman...
      At one point I argued for DE to be based on Ottoman Empire and associated tribute states (with the Corsairs being based in Morocco and Tunisia analogs), and was told the project was committed to DE being new world. :shrug:
      Yes, Turks are often entirely ignored in Fantasy settings unfortunately. It's a sadly unused potential. I've always loved Ottoman Sipahis, both the heavy and medium variants. I've always loved their equipment and their fighting style as an hybrid between heavy cavalry and cavalry archers. It's the same steppe nomads heritage that characterised the Parthians, Sassanians and others.

      Making DE ottoman inspired would have made them more novel than just carrying over GW fluff on them. It's a big missed opportunity here. Finding miniatures might have been tough without convertion though.






      Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      If there is none at all, then the background team, as a tip, might want to consider smuggling in a minor smattering of Persianate human kinglets and city states down southeast in Infernal Dwarf lands, most of which could be tributary vassals to one Infernal Dwarf faction or another (with only a minor part to play in the bigger picture of things, and outnumbered by their stunty conquerors), and many of which would harbour a glowing desire to break free.

      Think auxilliary contingents of Persian-style humans showing up in some Infernal Dwarf battlelines (cannon fodder, fickle flank guards, supplement to Taur'ruk heavy centaury). Think endless intrigues and backstabbery, both within such usually subdued statelets and against their Infernal Dwarf overlords (everybody knows that Dwarves are superior, but Manlings are slow on the uptake). Think human leaders acting independently with raids and minor campaigns against non-Infernal Dwarf neighbours. Think ambitious princes and hopes flying high in daredevil rebellions. Think all hope and life crushed in an orgy of vengeance killings, city razings and landscape burning to satiate both Assyrians and Mongols (ID and their Hobgoblins should have a streak of cruelty, after all!) whenever upstart human lordlings imagine they can challenge the might of the tall hats, and get away with it in skirmishes and minor battles for a while. Think desperate walled cities pleading for mercy in the face of overwhelming Infernal Dwarf might out for their blood.

      Think endless streams of slaves and materials trickling to Infernal Dwarf holdings from their terrified human underlings. Think remnants of ruined realms, clinging to existence tooth and nail, bowing the neck when necessary yet all too often willing to test fate. Think curse-laden, burnt-out ruins of once great cities where large human populations once lived, now home to but ghosts and foolhardy goatherders. Think resettled ruins, where the living city covers only a small portion of the once greater settlement, with city walls cutting across the streets and bazaars of the ruinscape. Think a cycle of dread and danger, yet also unyielding fires of hope and martial pride burning in the chests of these marginalized remnants of once-great human peoples. Think fall of cities so baleful as to make a heart of stone bleed, as the full, enslaved Daemonic horror and madness at the disposal of power-crazed Infernal Dwarves gets unleashed in all its bloodthirsty devastation.

      Think shards of a broken mirror, under the grinding heels of Infernal Dwarf overlords. Under the yoke. Recovering, flagging hope, resurgent rebellions, horrendous suppression to put the fear of Zalaman Tekash and all her dreaded holdings back into the hearts of the scattered and small remnants of Man.

      Think surviving embers still glowing vibrantly amid the ashes from a fire that has been all but quenched in a harsh and ruthless world, swept away by the flow of history in all its myriad forms of horror.


      I like that synopsis a lot! It's an interesting starting point. As someone who likes epic rebellions and stories of vassalised states carefully preparing a revanchist war against their master, moving slowly and gathering allies, (like ancient Armenia trying to break from Parthian and then the Sassanid yoke) I will certainly inspire myself from that. Thanks a lot!


      Jackginger wrote:

      go for Empire. Elephant steam Tank.
      That's an intriguing idea! I would never have thought about it myself. Wasn't it the late Timurid dynasty who used small cannons mounted on elephants in their conquest of India? It would be pretty amazing!
      Armies:


      • Orcs & Goblins
      • Kingdom of Breton.. ah! I mean Equitaine! ;)
    • mmmm..... Sagarika has 100 kingdoms, maybe one can be developed as persian style stuffes.. Still i'm not a big fan of this idea. Too many human armies and only few of theese are differents.
      THE PULP AGE, ARCALEA!
      THE PULP AGE. Chapter 1: Arcalea.
      COMPLETE MERCENARY BOOK
      the-ninth-age.com/index.php?th…an-mercenaries-army-list/
      FICTION
      THE ASSASSINATION OF LADY FONTAINE
      the-ninth-age.com/index.php?th…ampari-and-his-intern-th/

      JOIN THE PULP AGE!
    • Mercenary Armies wrote:

      mmmm..... Sagarika has 100 kingdoms, maybe one can be developed as persian style stuffes.. Still i'm not a big fan of this idea. Too many human armies and only few of theese are differents.
      Don't worry too much, I don't have the time needed to write a good army book or even a Equitarian or Empire sub army. This would be mostly a fluff project and I would probably end up playing them as straight KoE or EoS units without modifications. People have different interests in fantasy. Some are more attracted to fantasy races and others prefer humans with added fantasy elements.

      As for me, my first army being OnG, I now want to explore something closer to my historical interests. I didn't really take into account what people did or did not in their homebrew books aside that there was nothing persian, but a lot of slavic themed stuff and a very developed african themed corpus of writings.

      A western Sagarika state could be a nice idea for settings. The Sassanians occupied modern day Afghanistan at some point and traded with nearby India. Both areas heavily influenced themselves mutually. I think a connection could be drawn there.
      Armies:


      • Orcs & Goblins
      • Kingdom of Breton.. ah! I mean Equitaine! ;)
    • Kovlovsky wrote:

      Mercenary Armies wrote:

      mmmm..... Sagarika has 100 kingdoms, maybe one can be developed as persian style stuffes.. Still i'm not a big fan of this idea. Too many human armies and only few of theese are differents.
      Don't worry too much, I don't have the time needed to write a good army book or even a Equitarian or Empire sub army. This would be mostly a fluff project and I would probably end up playing them as straight KoE or EoS units without modifications. People have different interests in fantasy. Some are more attracted to fantasy races and others prefer humans with added fantasy elements.
      As for me, my first army being OnG, I now want to explore something closer to my historical interests. I didn't really take into account what people did or did not in their homebrew books aside that there was nothing persian, but a lot of slavic themed stuff and a very developed african themed corpus of writings.

      A western Sagarika state could be a nice idea for settings. The Sassanians occupied modern day Afghanistan at some point and traded with nearby India. Both areas heavily influenced themselves mutually. I think a connection could be drawn there.
      ah ah ah, no worries...my mind always try to make some rules with any ideas on this site. :) I like the human fantasy side as well. but all teh persian fluff in some way is taken by the chaos dwarves...ehm...infernal dwarfs, for Ghiznuk sake!
      still I tried to imagine a human reign of persian fluff... I can see it, It expands from the south coast of the Thirsty Sea to the Southern Ocean. the population lives under the shadow of a single dark god..which one? i don't know yet. but think about it, who needs elephants when you can have a Wastland Beemoth?!?!? muahahah
      THE PULP AGE, ARCALEA!
      THE PULP AGE. Chapter 1: Arcalea.
      COMPLETE MERCENARY BOOK
      the-ninth-age.com/index.php?th…an-mercenaries-army-list/
      FICTION
      THE ASSASSINATION OF LADY FONTAINE
      the-ninth-age.com/index.php?th…ampari-and-his-intern-th/

      JOIN THE PULP AGE!
    • Sassanids are my all time favorites. Mad respect for bringing them specifically forward.

      However, with 9th not doing 1:1 cultural crossovers, our best bet is to identify armies with Persian tactics or themes, or to strike out and create another hybrid 9th culture.

      The best thing 9th can do for the opulent and cultured Sassanids is by combining them into an Indian/Iranian fantasy army. Which is SORELY needed.
    • Krokz wrote:

      We have Makhar which are more of Eurasia steppe people, but we also implemented elements of Parthia (and Scythia) in them. Book should come as soon as BGT adds background excerpts into the book.
      This is what has been preventing me from sleeping for the last 2-3 weeks
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa