Factors that influence the future of the 9th Age

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• @Wolflord Patrick DONT PANIC, GOLD EDITION LANDS BEFORE CHRISTMAS THEN THE VOLUNTEERS CAN WORK ON ALL THE FLUFFY FLUFF......in their own time......for no money.

Mate I’m not trying to troll you, I’m just fed up with these “NINTH AGE IS DOOOOOOOMED I TELL THEE” threads. Have a bit of patience, we need a solid game first, all the art can come after. Or you could write your own fluff. I have.
  • The background team (including moi) do a little bit more every day. Creative work is a slow process, but it's getting there.

If I needed to sell the basic concept... it would be as a medium-hard fantasy world. Over a dozen sentient species, each with their own culture, biology, history - all developed, all consistent, all interlocking. We have at least one published fantasy author working on the background team (he's awesome), a professional linguist and iirc multiple historians and anthropologists.

The classic fantasy races you'd expect from LoTR, D&D or the like, but envisioned in such a way to explain how they work. Not a world where everyone fights everyone all the time, but a world with interlocking economies and conflicts over resources, ideology and xenophibia that flare up and are resolved one way or another.

A world where there are factions that are not good people - but they do what they do for logical reasons with historical parallels. You do not need supernatural corruption to be the Roman or British Empires, and few "pure evil" fantasy factions manage to match the atrocities committed in the name of Empire over the centuries.

That is the background that is coming.

All shown through the lens of people who live in the world, rather than an omniscient perspective - because we want to immerse you in the world, see it through the eyes of the people who live there.

Background Team

• @WhammeWhamme I just hope there has been some movement on the "must be told by a human narrator all the time, without exception" movement that BGT had previously.

It makes the non human factions fall rather flat. SE full book was definately a victim of this, just felt really flat and lifeless with not something tangible to base your world on, just an unreliable captured human who speaks with his inherent bias positively dripping through the prose.

Had quite a few (read many) arguements about this with the BGT team but there didn't seem to be a lot of movement on it. Wotdg book is a little troubling as well as it seems to have fallen a bit flat. Whether that is a pricing and balance issue or a fluff issue I'm not sure, but reading through it didn't exactly inspire wonder and anticipation for a full rework of HBE
  • Masamune88 wrote:

@WhammeWhamme I just hope there has been some movement on the "must be told by a human narrator all the time, without exception" movement that BGT had previously.

It makes the non human factions fall rather flat. SE full book was definately a victim of this, just felt really flat and lifeless with not something tangible to base your world on, just an unreliable captured human who speaks with his inherent bias positively dripping through the prose.

Had quite a few (read many) arguements about this with the BGT team but there didn't seem to be a lot of movement on it. Wotdg book is a little troubling as well as it seems to have fallen a bit flat. Whether that is a pricing and balance issue or a fluff issue I'm not sure, but reading through it didn't exactly inspire wonder and anticipation for a full rework of HBE

Well, the Daemon book isn't going to be written from a Daemon POV and I wouldn't argue against that. They're the least relatable faction. And WDG was before my time on the team.

We'll see when it gets to a non-Daemon book. I'll point to the (not canon!) pieces I wrote to introduce the 2.0 updates just before joining the BGT (all from the IC perspective of an Infernal Dwarf Prophet) as what I feel there is a place for. I personally feel that Aasimov's "The Gods Themselves" shows that you can write from the perspective of a crazily alien being and convey effectively what's going on and how bizarrely alien they are.

Also, from what I've seen of DL (and we get rules snippets on the BGT because we have to name it) it seems like it's gone hard in the other direction - I kinda feel "maybe we should make this simpler and blander because dear lord this looks crazy".

Background Team

• Going strong for 4 years ... check
    New and exciting third party model support ... check
    Thousands of passionate and engaged players worldwide... check
    Vibrant tournament scene ... check
    Decent online community ... check
    Stable and balanced rule set to drop in months ... check
    Unique artwork and fluff by a team of talented artists... check
    Dedicated team of developers with long term vision for the system ... check

Some knob’s 500-word say so...

we doomed boys.
    8=D
    @Dan 's Roomate
    Epic Poster
    8,000th and 9,000th forum member
  • Omarcomin wrote:

Going strong for 4 years ... check
    Including multiple start companies and A+ quality of models ... double check

Including new players starting every day and being able to afford armies thanks to third party companies ... double check

Including enthusiastic local players and one day tournaments ... double check

Including vibrant characters such as Omarcomin and Grouchy Badger ... sexy double bubble check

Including the past versions which have been championed as solid rule sets with access to the beta ... double check

we doomed boys.
    Game dead on arrival, double spooky skeleton check. Doot dooty doot.
    I am going to offend you. You are not going to like it. You will survive.

Chaotic Neutral
    youtube.com/channel/UCJ9e5C1f26iuvhOA33rsFJQ

Model Reviews with Twice the Brain Injuries!
  • WhammeWhamme wrote:

[...] Not a world where everyone fights everyone all the time, but a world with interlocking economies and conflicts over resources, ideology and xenophibia that flare up and are resolved one way or another.

A world where there are factions that are not good people - but they do what they do for logical reasons with historical parallels. You do not need supernatural corruption to be the Roman or British Empires, and few "pure evil" fantasy factions manage to match the atrocities committed in the name of Empire over the centuries.

That are truely awesome news - at least to me.
    And I would not have expected to find such a gem in this typoe of thread.

Everybody against everybody is a bit like fantasy literature from the 70s like Elric, Conan or Kull. I realy appreciate that step into a more modern fantasy world.
    If you do not like 9th Age - fine, it is your right to do so. But do not spoil our fun - go and find your game, be it AoS, 5th Edition, Magic or Dublo
  • Omarcomin wrote:

Going strong for 4 years ... check
    Unique artwork and fluff by a team of talented artists... check
    Dedicated team of developers with long term vision for the system ... check

we doomed boys.
    (up to date) Rule books in several languages in addition to english... check.
  • Uthegen wrote:

WhammeWhamme wrote:

[...] Not a world where everyone fights everyone all the time, but a world with interlocking economies and conflicts over resources, ideology and xenophibia that flare up and are resolved one way or another.

That are truely awesome news - at least to me.And I would not have expected to find such a gem in this typoe of thread.

Everybody against everybody is a bit like fantasy literature from the 70s like Elric, Conan or Kull. I realy appreciate that step into a more modern fantasy world.
    I welcome this as well, that's really great news. If there was one thing about GW and The Old World that always bugged me was that they overdid the whole Chaos thing and that every battle sets mankind back 200 years because a city gets vaporized from the map. Just too much over the top "everything is about to collapse with Chaos lurking just underneath." One irritating aspect in an otherwise excellent, gritty, grounded and fleshed-out world.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • @Wolflord Patrick

I think some of your points are answered by other points you make.

You say that Warhammer was never balanced. True. Does that mean T9A shouldn't try to be better in that regard? Warhammer was based on a premise of balanced play, which is why the army points system existed. In practice it wasn't that balanced, part since it's hard to get balance right when you only get to update an army through the release of an army book once every few years and can't iteratively adjust points costs, and part because of the commercial temptation to make new releases OP to boost sales. But the unbalance was always a sore point among large swathes of the player base.

As far as comes to fluff, there is a bare bones of fluff. The 1.3 rulebook contains a paragraph per faction. The categories of "core" and "special" tell which troops are the most numerous ones and which the less numerous, more specialized or simply more elite ones. Those categories answer your question: A dwarf warrior is the bog-standard warrior, the other two the elites. King's Guard, well, the name together with the "Bodyguard" rule kind of says it all. Deep Watch is less intuitive for sure, but it's not hard to imagine them being made for holding the line in chokepoints in tunnels etc.

As for why not just spam the best units, well, that's what that game balance is for. Thanks to meticulous balancing, pretty much everything is worth taking and using, and core units not just a constraining quota that needs to be filled. I regularly make army lists that have more than the required minimum quota of core, I find it worthwhile. You seem to regard anything else than the best (presumably, most points-efficient) units as something that one would only take because of fluff purposes. It does not have to be that way, and it is not that way in T9A, thanks to the meticulous balancing work.

A hardcore fluff bunny might play whatever he feels is fluffy regardless of how much it gimps him on the gaming table. Others, though, me included, and who I suspect are far more numerous, are those who would want to play fluffy armies, but would also want them to work on the battlefield and not be at a disadvantage. That's not a case of wanting two different, let alone contradictory, things. That's wanting the game rules to reflect the fluff, it provides the *why* of armies in the T9A world being the way they are. You speak about aesthetics. Well, aesthetics isn't just visual appearance, it's also things like whether what happens on the gaming table feels right.

To give an example that someone else (don't remember who) made once: An army like the Vermin Swarm. It's described in the fluff as a swarm that overwhelms enemies through sheer numbers and ruthless use of cannon fodder. For the rules to reflect that fluff, they should reward bringing a mountain of models to the table. If the rules instead were such that the optimal way to play VS would be something like elite MSU, and consequently such armies would become the norm, that'd be a major aesthetic violation.

I want my picturesque formations of Empire infantry in battlelines of alternating parent and support units that act in a mutually supportive, coordinated way to actually win battles doing what they're supposed to do according to the fluff. Thanks to the way T9A has developed, they are now more capable of doing that than they have been in any earlier version of either T9A or Warhammer.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Soul_MHS2 wrote:

If people are playing Saga, Hail Ceasar!, Dragon Rampant, Hordes, Bushido, Pike & Shotte, Gangs of Rome etc. I don't see why it's such a stretch to see people playing T9A into the far future....
    Indeed. And I'll note that there are more people talking about and playing 9th Age than there are people playing games like Runewars. That was a game hyped and marketed by a major gaming company and it flopped and fizzled out. Didn't capture anyone's imagination, well at least not many. I'd even wager there are as many 9th Age enthusiasts (combining both actual miniature tabletop battles and simulated battles online) as there are for games like The Hobbit Strategy Battle game, etc.
    There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!
  • I get more 9th games than I ever did WHFB... the project has issues, sure. And I've been vocal on those.

...but I'm still getting a lot of games (again since the last release) and that doesn't seem to be slowing down.

Call me selfish, but I'm cool with it.
    Goblin, Daemon Legions and Empire of Sonnstahl Player and 9th Age Staffer
    Follow my journey through the world of 9th Age HERE