Infernal Dwarf fluff-writing competition

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Infernal Dwarf fluff-writing competition

Ok so this is a little unusual (apart from me posting in the unholy hours...nothing unusual there). But to add some flavor to our army-books, small 1-3 sentence blurbs are going to be added to each unit entry (not sure about mounts; but if, by the end of this post, anyone is curious I can ask).

Now, why am I saying competition? Because we are allowing the playerbase to come up with sentences to be added!

They do have to comply with what the background team have been aiming for though, so if yours is wildly off what they have in their notes, then it might be looked over. But to help with that, here is some links to released fluff:

ID Preview - Part 3

ID Preview - Part 4

Further work can be found dotted in the other previews, and in older entries in the 9th age scrolls.

But otherwise, go nuts! Pick a few units you have a good idea for and let's see what you've got :). And if you are feeling stuck/want to see some examples, just say and I will help out.
    • I'll get started, and add things later.

Core:

Infernal Warriors:
      These warriors are conscripted from the ranks of infernal dwarf commoners. They march into battle wielding general issue weapons, dreaming of advancement.

Citadel Guard:
      These elite warriors are promoted from the corp of Infernal Warriors. They have advanced training and some of the best weapons and armor the Citadel can provide.

Hobgoblins:
      Working class allies of the Infernal Dwarves. Their numbers are invaluable to Infernal Dwarf combat efforts.

Slave Orcs:
      Subjugated war bands are used for hard labor on Infernal Dwarf lands. When it comes time to fight, their dwarven owners are pleased to see that their combat instincts haven't been dulled by menial labor.

Special:

Immortals:
      Elite bodyguards of the Infernal Dwarf ruling class. When one dies, another takes its place in a seemingly endless wall of steel.

Taurukh:
      Dwarf and bull fused together through arcane rituals. These hybrids are used as the citadels police forces.

Taurukh Annointed:
      Enhanced and enlarged taurukh used as heavy shock troops.

Hobgoblin wolf riders:
      Hobgoblin regulars used as scouts.
    • Going to keep an eye on this. Pre-emptive thanks for anyone who contributes, and regular thanks to Tyranno and lawgnome. :)

Also. (these are not more official than anyone else's suggestions, just what I would *like* to be true ;) )

Disciples of Lugar: The battle-lawyers of the Cult of Lugar have all signed a very favourable contract with a Kadim; the Kadim gets to see the world, the Disciple can unleash it's fiery fury at a moment's notice.

Chosen of Lugar: Even mystery cults of trickster gods need leadership. Ascending to the leadership of a cult cell is simple, yet difficult: the aspiring Chosen of Lugar must convince everyone else in the cult that they've been in charge all along.

Background Team

• Hobgoblins:
      A malicious and cunning ally of convenience to the Infernal Dwarves, whose numbers swell the ranks on the march to war. The tribes are allowed to live on the blasted plains in relative safety as an advance warning of attackers from the wasteland in the north.

Hobgoblin Wolfriders:
      It is often jested that it's unclear which is the most wiley, the wolf or it's rider. These scouts patrol the Great Steel Road and their employer's investments.
    • Rocket Battery: it obscures the sky with half a dozen of harmless rockets, which explode mid air and create a diamond with encrusted gold confetty rain over the enemy

(Of course this first one is a joke)

Bound Demon: a demon tricked and enslaved to posses an artillery weapon. His rage makes him either terrible enemy and impredictable ally.

Infernal Engine: fuelled by enemy corpses and alive slaves, it moves towards the enemy like the unstopable metal behemoth it is. Behaind him, it leaves a railway of corpses.

Titan Mortar: it shoots a screaming bomb which devastates the enemy files and creates an earthquake under them.

Gunnery Team: artillery weapon which exchanges firepower for movility so they can allways target the most vulnerable target.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Manxol ().

• Infernal Engine: Have you ever hurt yourself with a tool and came to the conclusion that this is a serious weapon? The Infernal Engine is only one child born of this realization in the arsenal of the Infernal Dwarfes.

Weapon Teams: As much as Infernal Dwarf like to shoot things in a multitude of ways, they also hate to be too far away from where the action is.

Titan Mortar: Bigger is not always better, not always...
      Titan Mortar: Ashnapur the famous masterengineer always told his apprentices: "Small things amuse small minds."

Rocket Launcher: The first tests with rocketdriven artillery were not very promising. But Ashnapur was sure: Either adding more shots or a daemon would solve the problem eventually.
    • Prophet: rulers of thethe infernal dwarves, they use their magic to devastate the enemie. Unlike other wizards, they are as hard to kill as the mightiest warriors.

Overlord: no one can discuss an overlord on the battlefield, where his presence fans the flame of hatred towards his enemies

Vizir: lowly rulers, allways ploting to usurpate the status of an overlord.

Slave Orcs: a breed of orc withhout the will to live but with the instinct to fight, used as meat shield in battle.

Hobgoblins: unreliable troops, barely more considered than slaves, hobgoblins only qualities are their numbers and cruelty.

Infernal Warriors: the lower class of the infernal dwarves, they march to battle with mass produced armours and weapons.

Citadel Guard: protected with the superior infernal armour, citadel guard decimates their enemis with their close combat weapons or the infamous flintlock axe.
    • Hobgoblin Chieftain: infernal dwarves give some reponsavilities to some hobgoblins. This way the rest of their race plot to kill ananthed replace the privileged among them instead of ploting to be really free.

(I have two diferent concepts for the bulls: or he is sumoned or he is a wild animal. I will wrige both concepts)

Bull of Shamut (sumoned): after sacrificing thousands of slaves, Shamut will grant their champions with a fire bull, cappable of turnig to cenders their enemies with his sole n presence.

Great Bull of Shamut (summoned): when the fire bull god Shamut expects a great rival, he will grant his champion with a bull born from the magma itself.

Bull of Shamut (animal): born from the magma of a volcano, Bull of Shamut grants either status and a weapon to burn the enemies of infernal dwarves enemies.

Great Bullof Shamut (animal): after being feed with hundreds of slaves, wich show the status of his owner, the oldest bulls allow overlords toride them to battle, where their fire melts even marble.

Lammasu: it is unclear if the phrophet rides him or he uses the phrophet. But, veilded by shadows, both of them enjoy trickering with their enemies hopes.

Flamethrower: the only thing infernal dwarves love more than fire is to set their enemies on fire.
    • Hobgoblin Chieftains are the favoured pets of there Infernal Masters but well fighters none the less. To rise to that station it is not uncommon that those chieftains are as cruel as there masters and they are constantly walking on a thin line between rivals envying there position and loosing the favor of there masters, which is the by far greater danger. So a hobgoblin chieftain will work very hard to stay in his masters favour even dying for them because this death is by far less painfull. However a rather short life in "glory" is the danger of slaves rising as high in the society of infernal dwarves when not a chosen of ashuruk.

Giants: It is hard to enslave someone being eight times or higher than you are and a big ally was considered to be useful. So the infernal dwarves befriended some tribes of giants by giving them amour and live food in form of slaves. In return the slaves were a useful tool to control the minor slaves and preventing them from rioting. Also they seemed under pressure much more reliable than hobgoblins and also quite gifted to make those cowardice lickspittls more motivated when a giant with a whip is behind there back. In fact the giants seemed to enjoy there work so much that the prophets of the infernal dwarves decided that Ashuruk himself seemed to smile upon them when seeing them whipping the scum. So they were considered as equals.
      Please complain a little more that your army and only your army is to weak. Its not your play for sure ;)

The Bad Beards (ID)
      Das Tribe (OnGs)
      Zee Brood (SA)
    • Manxol wrote:

Prophet: rulers of thethe infernal dwarves, they use their magic to devastate the enemie. Unlike other wizards, they are as hard to kill as the mightiest warriors.

Overlord: no one can discuss an overlord on the battlefield, where his presence fans the flame of hatred towards his enemies

Vizir: lowly rulers, allways ploting to usurpate the status of an overlord.

Slave Orcs: a breed of orc withhout the will to live but with the instinct to fight, used as meat shield in battle.

Hobgoblins: unreliable troops, barely more considered than slaves, hobgoblins only qualities are their numbers and cruelty.

Infernal Warriors: the lower class of the infernal dwarves, they march to battle with mass produced armours and weapons.

Citadel Guard: protected with the superior infernal armour, citadel guard decimates their enemis with their close combat weapons or the infamous flintlock axe.
      I would like to see Prophets and Overlords as equals but constant rivals. Prophets being over Overlords is to much warhammer fluff.

Slave Orcs: Enslaved orcs after catching them.
      Hoblins: Considered to be above the other slaves because almost equal in cruelty as infernal dwarves and in there favour because they are lickspittls. They are deceptive fellows, a hobgoblin may laugh in your face at one moment and stab your back when your not looking so beware of them. Hobgoblins are stronger than normal goblins almost like men but not that disciplined. On the battlefield they are unreliable and easy to be scared away when not in presence of there master. They also have been known to be motivated by a chieftain ruling with a hard hand or by a giant with a whip nearby.
      Please complain a little more that your army and only your army is to weak. Its not your play for sure ;)

The Bad Beards (ID)
      Das Tribe (OnGs)
      Zee Brood (SA)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traumdieb ().

• In T9A universe, society knows that gods exist, don't just believe in gods. Gods are a fact, they exist, and you have real proof of it.

If in our world religion had the ruling word lots of times, and God is a matter of believe in real world, not a fact like in T9A setting, imagine the power that prophets, who directly speak to gods, have.

Also, by the name of rules and equipment, I think ID are very religious. The most power I think overlords would have is being puppets of prophets and public ruler face, but ID aren't stupid, can't think of a charachter of the overlord status being fooled this way.

Prophet voice has to be highest than overlord voice, imho
    • Manxol wrote:

In T9A universe, society knows that gods exist, don't just believe in gods. Gods are a fact, they exist, and you have real proof of it.

If in our world religion had the ruling word lots of times, and God is a matter of believe in real world, not a fact like in T9A setting, imagine the power that prophets, who directly speak to gods, have.

Also, by the name of rules and equipment, I think ID are very religious. The most power I think overlords would have is being puppets of prophets and public ruler face, but ID aren't stupid, can't think of a charachter of the overlord status being fooled this way.

Prophet voice has to be highest than overlord voice, imho

Ah, but remember - it's not that God exists, but that Gods exist.

The difference is quite significant, as it means one has a choice of patron.

It also means they're not big-Omni-Gods; they're Potent, and Scient, but there are limits on both. (They're generally Benevolent to their chosen peoples as well, but that one is even less Omni than the other two).

And, well, magic requires training, even Thaumaturgy (the direct channeling of divine power) which ID don't even practice routinely anyway.

So there's reasons why ID Prophets wouldn't *have* to rule all (but if you *like* the idea of a theocracy go ahead and say it does work - I'm just saying write what you want. :) )

Background Team

• I see your point, @WhammeWhamme but I don't support it.

Not an expert, obviously, but I think than even in politeist society from the ancient times (greeks, egiptians...) the religious caste was allways near the power influence.

Also, I think than the name choice matters here; it isn't seer, oracle, wizard, witch... it is phrophet, and that means than the gods speak throught them. In an enviroment when society trully knows than gods exist.

It doesn't matter how omni they are. A god who can make a volcano eruption from nowere has a hige amount of power, in such aand fashion than people have to follow him. Yes, he didn't created the world, but from normal perspective his powers rivalize with the omni power.

If something it is clear on ID, as I see it, that it is a really a society with castes. One has to be avobe the others in this society. And either Prophets are avobe Overlords or Overlords are puppeted by Prophets. And I'm just more confortable with the first one.

Overlords being the Generals of the army branch, leathers on the battlefield and councellors for mundane things for the Prophets.

But as has been said, it is my vision. I share it, and if other people buy it, great.
    • Write what you want, either way.

I'm just pointing out (for you and anyone else) that there's multiple ways to skin things.

I actually see ID as being unusually secular for a world with active gods - they're modern thinkers and pragmatic to the core - but this isn't about me and my opinions, it's about getting what y'all think down on pixels. :)

Background Team