Tabletop gaming is bigger than ever before!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Blonde Beer wrote:

Who says I dont already have several acounts? :muaha:

(well reality does... would be nice to be able to do t9a full time and get payed..)
    If I was a super-rich gentlemen able to dedicate myself to creative pursuits, I might actually choose to do T9A full-time.
    Sunna is not with the big battalions, but with the ones whose parts move with the best coordination.
  • Konrad von Richtmark wrote:

Blonde Beer wrote:

Who says I dont already have several acounts? :muaha:

(well reality does... would be nice to be able to do t9a full time and get payed..)
    If I was a super-rich gentlemen able to dedicate myself to creative pursuits, I might actually choose to do T9A full-time.

well, i heard there's at least someone who's thinking about doing something in this vein.
    sure, if you're not super rich, some help from the community will be needed to keep the bills paid.
    we only have to find a right way for everybody to contribute a bit ; )
  • Pellegrim wrote:

You get (tons of) new people on 9th Age tournaments? How? We only have oldhammerers, with 1 or 2 exceptions. I never heard 9th Age bringing tons of new players. So please explain how!
    I've got a gaming group of 5 oldhammerers, plus one who joined in right at the end of 8th edition. We've gotten 4 more people involved since the start of T9A, and other people who we could probably get in on it if we recruited harder. I think a couple things have been key for us:

- While we're a "friendly" group that has never been involved in the tournament scene, we've always had a group culture of pulling out every dirty trick in the book to beat each other. For us, no legal move is bad sportsmanship. That means that T9A's focus on balance is an important part of the fun for us, because it means our games can actually be competitive and interesting.

- We really started to see new people get involved when we made a point of inviting friends and being ready to teach the game. The last time a bunch of us got together for a weekend (we still call them Warhammer Weekends), we made armies for our two complete noobs, and had a couple experienced players on each side coach them through the decisions they were making, suggesting moves and telling them what would be likely to happen. They had a great time.

- Having food and beer on hand helps, too, so that people who are on the fence can come hang out and watch.

One of these friends has gotten far more involved than anyone else, and I'm not sure he would have if the Magic system hadn't been reworked. His first couple of games were with the old system, and the way that the whole game could hinge on a wildly variable set of rolls was really disappointing to him. If we had still been playing a game in which you could nuke someone with a Purple Sun or Dreaded 13th, I don't think he would have kept playing.

EDIT: this is in Western Massachusetts, USA, for reference.
  • piteglio wrote:

well, i heard there's at least someone who's thinking about doing something in this vein.
    sure, if you're not super rich, some help from the community will be needed to keep the bills paid.
    I am pretty sure quite a few people registered as 'Miniature Companies' do exactly this... They would never start business if it was no love for hobby :)
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook

_____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
  • JimMorr wrote:

I am pretty sure quite a few people registered as 'Miniature Companies' do exactly this... They would never start business if it was no love for hobby
    Aha!

You've accidentally spilled the beans and revealed yourself as a billionaire recluse who uses his Hobby Supplies Company as a shell company to money-launder vast sums of cash through the seedy underground world of plastic miniature models.

"Leave the gun, take the Carnosaur…"
    T9A Style.
    <3 Stepping down to focus on the latest addition to the family! Three kids means we now form a complete rank! <3
  • Lawot wrote:

Pellegrim wrote:

You get (tons of) new people on 9th Age tournaments? How? We only have oldhammerers, with 1 or 2 exceptions. I never heard 9th Age bringing tons of new players. So please explain how!
    I've got a gaming group of 5 oldhammerers, plus one who joined in right at the end of 8th edition. We've gotten 4 more people involved since the start of T9A, and other people who we could probably get in on it if we recruited harder. I think a couple things have been key for us:
    - While we're a "friendly" group that has never been involved in the tournament scene, we've always had a group culture of pulling out every dirty trick in the book to beat each other. For us, no legal move is bad sportsmanship. That means that T9A's focus on balance is an important part of the fun for us, because it means our games can actually be competitive and interesting.

- We really started to see new people get involved when we made a point of inviting friends and being ready to teach the game. The last time a bunch of us got together for a weekend (we still call them Warhammer Weekends), we made armies for our two complete noobs, and had a couple experienced players on each side coach them through the decisions they were making, suggesting moves and telling them what would be likely to happen. They had a great time.

- Having food and beer on hand helps, too, so that people who are on the fence can come hang out and watch.

One of these friends has gotten far more involved than anyone else, and I'm not sure he would have if the Magic system hadn't been reworked. His first couple of games were with the old system, and the way that the whole game could hinge on a wildly variable set of rolls was really disappointing to him. If we had still been playing a game in which you could nuke someone with a Purple Sun or Dreaded 13th, I don't think he would have kept playing.

EDIT: this is in Western Massachusetts, USA, for reference.
    Good to hear. We are also slowly pulling Oldhammerers. Thanks to GW there is a big supply of those! I think on our whole national player base there are only one or two actual new players.

Assuming we will all play till our "end time" 9th Age will at least last 30 - 45 years!
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • I would say in each country things are diferent (and even in diferent regions).

The price of a scape night in Spain isn't near that 150£, more close to 40-50€, but miniature prices are the same than other countries (our minium wage is less than 900€ btw).

So what I see is that wargammers play more t9A than before, but there aren't more wargamers than before. They are proper whfb, wh40k, x-wing players, but no new blood
  • There Is No Spoon wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

Last I checked, taste was somewhat relative...but whatever.
    hahah - buy a coffee in Chengdu, tea in Rotterdam, or bread in Nara... :P
    and feast your eyes on this Italian culinary masterpiece, available exclusively to New Zealanders:

True epicureans eat it on toast, of course.
    Man you are lucky that today i have eaten this piece of art https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n2l7eqh07tqofy/VID_20181018_193042.mp4?dl=0
    Because watching your post i was looking to some serious heresy, and i burn heresy usually :P
  • There Is No Spoon wrote:

JimMorr wrote:

I am pretty sure quite a few people registered as 'Miniature Companies' do exactly this... They would never start business if it was no love for hobby
    Aha!
    You've accidentally spilled the beans and revealed yourself as a billionaire recluse who uses his Hobby Supplies Company as a shell company to money-launder vast sums of cash through the seedy underground world of plastic miniature models.

"Leave the gun, take the Carnosaur…"
    T9A Style.
    Stay right where you are, buddeh
  • JimMorr wrote:

Frumious wrote:

Of the 34 people we had playing.. .I believe 8 had never played a tourney before, and at least 5 had never played previous significant amount of games of WHFB (if any)
    So 'so many new players to the hobby' you mean really 'so many new players to tournament scene'. The reason might be 9th Age is mainly played at tournaments...
    That's not something you can really infer from my post.. The new players I have recruited are still playing in the store and adding their friends. My friends group in the bay area just started a gaming league. So yes I can anecdotally report I am seeing new people to the hobby in my area.
    Keeper of the Zoo
    Images of Ma Stuff
    My Warriors of Ind/Sagarikadesha Painting blog

In Northern CA? Give me a buzz or visit our FB Group: Norcal 9th Age
  • Just had a weekend hosting my gaming group at my house. Out of 8 players, 4 of them did not play tabletop wargames before T9A, and 3 of them are really new - just getting in their second and third games. It was a blast. In addition to having experienced players create lists and match new players to armies by personality, I think the other major takeaway from this weekend was the importance of small games.

All of us (not just the new people) played at 1600 points on 4'x4' tables. That was small enough that our starter lists could consist of a lot of Core (and therefore simple rules) with just a handful of fun things, and many lists had no magic. Between the short games and having three tables set up, we were able to fit in a lot of rounds. New people were able to take a basic list, try it once or twice, and then tweak it themselves. Having lots of rounds also meant that it was easy for people to come and go from the weekend, and still finish games. Plus, all the small games just felt like the stakes were low, so the experienced players had a lot of fun taking units and builds that they would never field in a more "serious" 4500pt game.

Just thought I'd share, hope it's helpful for someone else hosting a game night or weekend!
  • This past Saturday, at our local game store, we had 5 people stop and watch our games. We had our usual 2 tables going. Fully painted armies and we answered questions from each person.

They knew what Warhammer was, but never played because of the high cost to get started. We explained to them about the 9th Age website, how you could use any model line, and even talked painting techniques. Our local group has 8 solid players that show most weekends and travel within about 500 miles to a good GT.

We already have 2 players returning to gaming that quit after Warhammer died. They didn’t think 9th Age would last so they tried other games. Now years later they see us still playing and are getting back into and they are excited.
  • IoRi78 wrote:

There Is No Spoon wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

Last I checked, taste was somewhat relative...but whatever.
    hahah - buy a coffee in Chengdu, tea in Rotterdam, or bread in Nara... :P and feat your eyes on this Italian culinary masterpiece, available exclusively to New Zealanders:

True epicureans eat it on toast, of course.
    what is that a abomination!! My Italian blood boils with rage about that insult to pasta
    This will boil it even further. They then put it on toast. This is a picture of the Prime Minister advocating it. This is not a joke.

• I have to say, reading all of this is really inspiring. It's good to see that the game is growing and that "Oldhammer" players are coming out of the woodwork.

In my area (Orange County, Southern California) things have been rough. A few years ago we had a pretty strong community of 18-20 players, but over the last few years many of them have moved out of state. And it seemed that the people that moved were the main hobby drivers who attracted the most followers, so losing them was especially tough.

We're working on recovering the group but we haven't gained much ground. Age of Sigmar and Kings of War have pulled in most of the Oldhammers, who like playing under a company and are skeptical of T9A.

Our current local store isn't very welcoming to T9A either. They're only allowing tournaments on off weekends when there are no other events planned; priority is given to company-backed games and those events are filled into the calendar regardless of attendance. The plan is to migrate our group to a different store which will hopefully be more accommodating.

Like I said, it's cool seeing growth elsewhere. I just hope I can copy some of that success in my area! I'll keep watching this thread for inspiration.
    "The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars.”

Show off your Gaming Club!

Southern California 9th Age Facebook Page