Question about Kingdom of Equitaine army list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Hello,
    You stated that More of a statement of facts than a question. And you are correct. Here are the questions.
    Looking at the army list which is medieval. Seeing that we have gone through a medieval period as a race I am wondering the following. Why is the army list not base on a country of the medieval period? Should not a medieval period be class oriented above all else? Did you know that serf were not allowed to carry certain types of weapons? (Many weapons were restricted to the noble faction). Why so many factions of Knights? Did you know that yeoman is an English term for land owner? Something that serfs were not. I would like to see some Yeoman infantry that was there primary task in the beginning. Is that possible in the future? I would also enjoy seeing the crusading peasant be made men at arms? The crusading infantry should be made as skirmishers (or crusade formation). They should be allowed in a close formation. They would go to a skirmish formation to leave knights charge through them. When the knights returned the infantry would close formation. Have you ever thought of going to mix formations? Spearmen in the front ranks bowmen in the rear? I would like to know how to get on the army list committee for the knigdom.

Best regards,

Jean
  • jean1951 wrote:

Hello,
    You stated that More of a statement of facts than a question. And you are correct. Here are the questions.
    Looking at the army list which is medieval. Seeing that we have gone through a medieval period as a race I am wondering the following. Why is the army list not base on a country of the medieval period? Should not a medieval period be class oriented above all else? Did you know that serf were not allowed to carry certain types of weapons? (Many weapons were restricted to the noble faction). Why so many factions of Knights? Did you know that yeoman is an English term for land owner? Something that serfs were not. I would like to see some Yeoman infantry that was there primary task in the beginning. Is that possible in the future? I would also enjoy seeing the crusading peasant be made men at arms? The crusading infantry should be made as skirmishers (or crusade formation). They should be allowed in a close formation. They would go to a skirmish formation to leave knights charge through them. When the knights returned the infantry would close formation. Have you ever thought of going to mix formations? Spearmen in the front ranks bowmen in the rear? I would like to know how to get on the army list committee for the knigdom.

Best regards,

Jean
    Jean, at this time, the book is not being redesigned. The project has allowed updateds of a limited scope but such large changes as you are suggesting is not something that can be achieved until the Full Army Book redesign. There is currently no avenue to make the sensible changes that you are looking for. I know for a fact that you are not the only person who wants to see Villeins, Yeomen, Men-at-Arms and Serfs all differentiated more by the historically class structure that existed in Medieval Europe. For instance, @Giladis I understand is an archaeoligist and has taken a great deal of interest in the background for the KoE army. I would consider him a steward of history and is a member of the Back ground team in addition to the Rules Team. You may be interested in addressing him with your historical concerns.

In the rules, Units cannot charge through each other, so there is little means to give Peasant Crusaders a loose formation simulating a historical function allowing mounted knights to charge past them in their own loose formations. Perhaps a Banner Enchantment could be made to allow friendly units to move through the a unit as if the unit with the Banner was open terrain. Sort of the opposite of the Banner of the Green Knight.

To apply for ADT (we aren't working on anything at the moment though) click on your profile image and choose User Groups from the drop down. Within find PRO-ADT.

More about your ideas. Please write some of your units out as ideas. You can copy and paste the format of one of the Homebrews in my signature to make the process easier.

Army Design Team

:KoE: :O&G: :SA:
  • Hello,

Understand that I do not wish to be rude. In the 90 I committed myself to purchasing a Medieval Army to play with a certain set of rules. They had an army book and promised an update. The updated army list that was promised never came. The list that is presented on the 9th Age site follows the path of that old list. Nothing original or ground breaking Names change but it is still the same.
    I know we are playing a fantasy game. But I bring my fantasy armies into our world. Examples of this would Orcs & Goblins, Beast Herd can easily be Gauls Germans Early Saxon etc. Saurians equal to Aztec, Maya etc. The root of the army stem from our past be they real or imagined.
    I would enjoy chatting or exchanging with M. Giladis. Certainly I would like to present ideas.
    I shall also apply for ADT.

Best regards,

Jean
  • jean1951 wrote:

Hello,

Understand that I do not wish to be rude. In the 90 I committed myself to purchasing a Medieval Army to play with a certain set of rules. They had an army book and promised an update. The updated army list that was promised never came. The list that is presented on the 9th Age site follows the path of that old list. Nothing original or ground breaking Names change but it is still the same.
    I know we are playing a fantasy game. But I bring my fantasy armies into our world. Examples of this would Orcs & Goblins, Beast Herd can easily be Gauls Germans Early Saxon etc. Saurians equal to Aztec, Maya etc. The root of the army stem from our past be they real or imagined.
    I would enjoy chatting or exchanging with M. Giladis. Certainly I would like to present ideas.
    I shall also apply for ADT.

Best regards,

Jean
    Nothing rude about it. I understand. It is the same set up for the past two decades. I am looking forward to our chance to do a FAB write up on it.

Army Design Team

• Maybe you could make a list of historical unit ideas to be drawn from.

For instance the new peasant levy, could be armed with nothing by default and have the option of being armed with Light Armor, a Shield and/or a Spear.

Then we can add a Man-at-Arms unit that has +1 Discipline, +1 Off, +1 Def
    They would start with Light Armour and have access to: Crossbows, Halberds, Shields, Spears, Great Weapons

Keep Mounted Units.

Make Brigands into a unit of land owners like the Yeoman but Archers (Even Land owners were required to train in Archery I think) We can call them Villeins or Yeomen Archers or something.

Army Design Team