ID 2.05 changes thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• ID 2.05 changes thread

What time is it? Wait...I should be doing what? I'm having a battle! Leave me alone...

*Some hours later*

Sorry about that, I had a whole weekend of war-games and didn't have time to call in a replacement or get this done. But you will be happy to hear I was using Infernal Dwarves all weekend, ACS' gotta represent!

Now as to the "what is going on here?", let me enlighten you all.
      For 2.05 there will be point adjustments for all armies, and I have been handed down the task of delivering up to three of them to you all as a preview!

Thankfully there are a lot of changes for us, so I will most certainly be revealing the maximum amount. In fact the updates specifically will be my three favourite ones...

Let's start off with the one I am looking forward to the most; the Lamassu has dropped to 300 points.
      This is a 20 point reduction (to save any of you looking it up to see what it is right now...as I am sure most do not remember what it currently resides at). This serves double duty in reducing the impact of the mount on both the characters and infamously clogged Bound & Binders section.
      The Lamassu has been a favoured mount of mine for a while, so I am happy to see that a cut price for it might see love for the mount spread. So I hope to see more of the mage-mount soon!

Now you may ask, is this enough to help the man-faced bull out? Perhaps...perhaps not...
      But a reduction of the Heat Haze from 50 points to 40 is another great push in the right direction. And in general is another boon to our mounts all around; hopefully opening some more creative equipment options up in the future.

Or as I saw it...my favourite mage build became more price-efficient. Up to you

And as for the last update, the Bull of Shamut mount for the Prophet has dropped from 230 points to 200 points. An odd option for the Prophet, but now a more viable one.
      This also pairs well with the Heat Haze change, dropping the intended combination in one fell swoop.

Also it's kinda funny that all of the Prophet's mount options became cheaper in one update xD

Please feel free to discuss these changes; what they open up, new combos, or even if they didn't go far enough.
      And of course do keep in mind that these are only 3 of many price changes, so more to come if a unit you expected to drop was not mentioned here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tyranno ().

• Pretty niche stuff here. Either this is some sleight of hand to take the attention away from the most needed stuff, or hopefully they are left last for the biggest reveal...

That said, I've had the longest urge to take the Lammasu for a spin but haven't got the balls to do so yet. Maybe this will take me over the edge and actually start giving me some experience how to best use the weird flying ball of hodgepodge abilities.

The bull reduction is just logical for non-fighty characters. I think I'll never use it, but its there now, I guess.
    • strauss wrote:

Feanor83 wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

And of course do keep in mind that these are only 3 of many price changes, so more to come if a unit you expected to drop was not mentioned here.

I predict a reduction from 10 to 8 pts for BB. Still not very usable, but that's a begining right ?
      Let's wait a couple of days for confirmation :)

Since you ask, and since I was approved to post this in the first wave (but Tyranno forgot I existed so used all our allotted spoiler reveals by himself... >.> ), and, most importantly, since Wednesday is wave two spoiler day and it's already Wednesday down under...

So, proving that people do pay some attention to evidence and/or ACS reports, Blunderbusses have dropped in price.
      Still 8ppm, but there's also 1ppm off the cost of additional Infernal Warriors, so that's 75 points off the cost of a max-sized unit... which makes it plausible to squeeze two of them under the Hail of the Gods cap.

Not enough to squeeze Great Weapons for said units in under the cap, but baby steps.

Is it everything we could have hoped for? No.
      Is 2.5 points per model a big cut? Absolutely.

Blunderbusses! They got cut enough to be worth taking a second look at! Yay!

Background Team

• WhammeWhamme wrote:

strauss wrote:

Feanor83 wrote:

Tyranno wrote:

I predict a reduction from 10 to 8 pts for BB. Still not very usable, but that's a begining right ?Let's wait a couple of days for confirmation :)
      Since you ask, and since I was approved to post this in the first wave (but Tyranno forgot I existed so used all our allotted spoiler reveals by himself... >.> ), and, most importantly, since Wednesday is wave two spoiler day and it's already Wednesday down under...

So, proving that people do pay some attention to evidence and/or ACS reports, Blunderbusses have dropped in price.
      Still 8ppm, but there's also 1ppm off the cost of additional Infernal Warriors, so that's 75 points off the cost of a max-sized unit... which makes it plausible to squeeze two of them under the Hail of the Gods cap.

Not enough to squeeze Great Weapons for said units in under the cap, but baby steps.

Is it everything we could have hoped for? No.
      Is 2.5 points per model a big cut? Absolutely.

Blunderbusses! They got cut enough to be worth taking a second look at! Yay!
      Hopefully thats not the best reveal otherwise whats happened?

75 points off a unit noone took?

The points drop mean IW are viable without blunders even more now.

Cool.
    • JordanBladen wrote:

Hopefully thats not the best reveal otherwise whats happened?
      75 points off a unit noone took?

The points drop mean IW are viable without blunders even more now.

Cool.
      That is mostly going to be the running theme of almost all of the armies points drops tbh. We were asked what was not used; not what is used but we want to see lowered.

But we might have one more thing to reveal.
    • Gomio wrote:

Indeed, we also think that Blunderbuss decrease is not as big as it should, but this time may be worth a try.

We have to look at the great scheme of changes, which are going to be rather small and safe before getting locked into gold.
      I doubt that there are many units that got an overall 75 points reduction in any of the 16 armies.
      The 75 point drop is outstanding no denying that :)

But its a 75 point drop on a unit noone took - not due to points but their impact in game.
    • JordanBladen wrote:

But its a 75 point drop on a unit noone took - not due to points but their impact in game.
      Really? I have seen a few people trying them out (despite the disgusting price) and they reported back that it works and is impactful, but it is just so expensive that you need to invest a lot into protecting it.

I also ran a poll asking people for their favourite designs in the current book (disregarding points as best as possible), Blunderbusses came 4th. People do like them and are having fun with them, and I am sure they will appreciate this change. Hell, we have people in this very thread asking about them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tyranno ().

• JordanBladen wrote:

Gomio wrote:

Indeed, we also think that Blunderbuss decrease is not as big as it should, but this time may be worth a try.

We have to look at the great scheme of changes, which are going to be rather small and safe before getting locked into gold.
      I doubt that there are many units that got an overall 75 points reduction in any of the 16 armies.

Blunderbusses were wrecked on price.

One early playtest had them at 5ppm and people were taking them and going "this is awesome".

One member of the BLT promptly wanted to price-hike them to 15ppm. It's been a long hard fight to get their cost down to something reasonable. 8ppm is still kinda high, but we'll see.

A good note someone has pointed out to me recently is that the main problem with BB's is that Infernal Warriors have a fairly trash melee profile; Blunderbusses would probably be worth 10ppm on Citadel Guard, it's the fact that Infernal Warriors have -1 S, -1 AP and -1 Armour that means Blunderbuss units don't do that well. Which is probably why Infernal Warriors got a discount here.

And as Gomio says - the changes overall are pretty small. My list for a bottom tier army (i.e. a book that got tonnes of cuts) dropped by 180 points over the entire army thanks to getting 10+ different small cuts.

Given that that's about as big a cut as can be expected, 75 off a unit is big.

And BB's are something people care about, so...

Background Team

• WhammeWhamme wrote:

JordanBladen wrote:

Gomio wrote:

The 75 point drop is outstanding no denying that :) But its a 75 point drop on a unit noone took - not due to points but their impact in game.
      Blunderbusses were wrecked on price.

One early playtest had them at 5ppm and people were taking them and going "this is awesome".

One member of the BLT promptly wanted to price-hike them to 15ppm. It's been a long hard fight to get their cost down to something reasonable. 8ppm is still kinda high, but we'll see.

A good note someone has pointed out to me recently is that the main problem with BB's is that Infernal Warriors have a fairly trash melee profile; Blunderbusses would probably be worth 10ppm on Citadel Guard, it's the fact that Infernal Warriors have -1 S, -1 AP and -1 Armour that means Blunderbuss units don't do that well. Which is probably why Infernal Warriors got a discount here.

And as Gomio says - the changes overall are pretty small. My list for a bottom tier army (i.e. a book that got tonnes of cuts) dropped by 180 points over the entire army thanks to getting 10+ different small cuts.

Given that that's about as big a cut as can be expected, 75 off a unit is big.

And BB's are something people care about, so...
      BB's are a hangover from WFB simple as.

I wish people would cut the cord on them and just see them disapear.

*shrug emoji*