The Ninth Age Simple Rulebook

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• New

idk, it's still like 60 pages long. Surely we can write a quick description of the rules that's more like 10-12 pages, with references to the main rulebook text for more detail.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• New

Squirrelloid wrote:

idk, it's still like 60 pages long. Surely we can write a quick description of the rules that's more like 10-12 pages, with references to the main rulebook text for more detail.
      That's really interesting, do you have something in mind?

If you can give me more details maybe I can write a draft in Latex, it really depends on how time consuming it is; 10-12 pages seems like a sweet spot.
    • New

Squirrelloid wrote:

The full rulebook is 339,150 signs
      The Quickstarter is 73,600 signs
      My version is 120,000 signs

It is hard to reduce the rules further while keeping all important parts and language consistent with the Rulebook.
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook

_____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
    • New

Auto2 wrote:

The danger of a 60 page rulebook is that it will be too long for casuals and newbies, but hardcore players will just read the full version since it's definitive.
      It will be around 32 page rulebook when in final layout. When compared to 180-200 pages of main rulebook it will look thin ;)
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook

• New

Grahf wrote:

Squirrelloid wrote:

That's really interesting, do you have something in mind?
      If you can give me more details maybe I can write a draft in Latex, it really depends on how time consuming it is; 10-12 pages seems like a sweet spot.

JimMorr wrote:

Squirrelloid wrote:

The full rulebook is 339,150 signsThe Quickstarter is 73,600 signs
      My version is 120,000 signs

It is hard to reduce the rules further while keeping all important parts and language consistent with the Rulebook.
      I'm not sure I'd worry about perfect consistency with the rulebook. I'd think you'd want to quickly sketch what's going on, and give section reference numbers so people can look up the precise wording.

So for example, the charge section might include passages like:

Display Spoiler

-Each unit may choose to declare a charge. If it does so, it may not move in the Movement Phase.

-Charges are declared one at a time: choose a unit of yours that is charging and an enemy unit it is charging at. You can only declare a charge that can actually be made (see x.x.x in main rules).

-When a charge is declared, the opposing player may make a charge reaction with their unit receiving the charge. It may:
      1. Hold (it stays where it is)
      2. Flee (if runs 2d6" directly away from the charging unit. See x.x.x in the main rules)
      3. Stand and Shoot (it makes a shooting attack against the charging unit. See x.x.x in the main rules. Each unit may only Stand and Shoot once per Game Turn, and only against charges into their forward facing).

-The facing of an enemy unit that your unit will charge depends on which facing it's in. See x.x.x in the main rules for determining facing.

-After all charges are declared, you may attempt to resolve charges in any order.

--To check to see if a charge succeeds, measure the distance between the two units. Then roll 2d6 and add your Advance statistic. If your result is greater than or equal to the number of inches between the two units, the charge is successful.

--If the charge was successful, then move the charging unit.

---It may only move directly forward, including only a single Wheel at any time during the move, until it touches the enemy unit in the correct facing.

---You may ignore the unit spacing rule during a successful charge move, but may not move through units.

---Once it touches the enemy unit, your unit "closes the door" (if possible) by wheeling around the point of contact until it's forward facing is aligned with the enemy facing it was charging. See x.x.x for when a unit cannot close the door.

---You must move your charging unit to get as many models into the combat as possible. (see x.x.x for priorities in completing a charge).

---If you face an unusual situation where it isn't clear how to move the charging unit, see rules sections x.x.1 (order of priorities for charging units), x.x.2 (can't close the door), x.x.3 (blocked path)...

--If multiple units charge the same target, roll for all charges before moving any units, and move as many successful chargers in as possible. (See x.x.x for multiple charges for more detail on resolving them)

--If the charge fails, or the charge is no longer possible, you make a failed charge move of up to x" by wheeling towards the target of the charge and then directly forward the remaining distance, or until stopped by another unit (and obeying the unit spacing rule). (x = the value of the highest die on the charge roll).

Basically, treat it as a quick description that acts as a pointer to the relevant rules. That's probably the most complicated section in the game right there, and that's less than a page of text. (It might need slightly more detail, but not much, and it's probably 3 pages with sufficient figures).

Don't include special rules (those can easily be referenced to the main rules). Don't include complicated scenarios (point them at the main rules for help resolving issues). Basically, we have a reference manual, make use of it.

Sections that aren't immediately involved in playing the game I'd be even more brusque. Like:

Building an Army: 'both players build an army of the same number of points using an army book. See x.x.x in the main rules.'

Setting up the table: 'Arrange some terrain, either using the rules in x.x.x, using a pre-set map from the T9A Map Pack, or just putting terrain down in any way agreeable to both players.'

And so on. Those are parts of the rules that are relatively easy to learn, and, if an experienced player is present, easy for them to help the new players with.
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• New

All pre game stuff can be done in 2 pages when you leave no choice.

Rules in a slimmed down version should be slimmed down. Cover 80%, leave complicated and long winded to the rulebook.

Will check out your link later on, in any case: thanks for the effort.
    • New

JimMorr wrote:

Auto2 wrote:

The danger of a 60 page rulebook is that it will be too long for casuals and newbies, but hardcore players will just read the full version since it's definitive.
      It will be around 32 page rulebook when in final layout. When compared to 180-200 pages of main rulebook it will look thin ;)
      It'll be interesting to see that, how are you intending to knock 30 pages off the current total?
    • New

theunwantedbeing wrote:

It'll be interesting to see that, how are you intending to knock 30 pages off the current total?
      With Layout. Word processor page is 1800 - 1900 signs. Slim rulebook page is 2600 signs on average. And I would say its layout is quite lavish. Without going extreme I am pretty sure it can become 3000 - 3500 signs on average. Maybe it won't be 32 pages but 36. 40 if I add a few graphics.
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook

• New

Yeah rules reference could not be bad.

Now layout is pretty important.

Will you work in indesign for the layout ?
      Dont have time to do all layout, but if you do the main preparation; i could do a final review and suggest some improve.

A good layout could help a lot to read and understand easily.

Each page should be take separatly from the other to see wich specificty has to be take in consideration.

In your exemple; the main informaiton of the page, is the 4 type of move, so the layout of this specific page should play with it. and give an egal importance to each move into the space repartition.
      cas-p.net / graphic & web designer.
      SE - VS - O&G - EoS / 9th age player.