.205 Warriors of the Dark Gods

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

  • Fleshbeast wrote:

    Still wouldn’t. Maybe if we drop it to 35/50? Even then it’d be a hard sell to me.
    Prefer smaller, but more realistic drop ;)
    You can always get another one later :P
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Armywide Signature Spells - Check! Maybe you could add something more? Success! We got Hereditary Spells!
  • Fleshbeast wrote:

    Still wouldn’t. Maybe if we drop it to 35/50? Even then it’d be a hard sell to me.
    I would seriously considering a lot of different veil walker builds on a master at 70 points, and given the price of analogous upgrades for other armies I think that is likely to be the "fair" price on a master.

    35 is okay on an adept too, especially alchemy adepts.
  • SkargitCrookfang wrote:

    Kind of a neat idea.

    Truthfully... i totally forgot he could even take a spear!

    As for the glad spirit... it's on my Sorc. right now... but... yeah, I could transfer it over to him. The Sorc has a 1+/5++ with the swap... the parry is nice over there but, yeah, it may be better for staying power on the Chief.

    Great call!
    Yeah I think this is the best "expensive" barbarian build I can come up with. You get parry, 1+ save on 4 HP which will be quite good against most unridden monsters, and against characters you have 4 attacks Str 6 AP 4 with hatred and battle focus at agi 7.
  • Two games today versus HBE and UD, both big losses (20-0 and probably 17-3)

    I'll put a more detailed analysis later, but some quick points:

    • UD are absolutely disgusting - they can beat 1500 points of my stuff with 500 of theirs. The item that makes every 2-dice spell rerollable is absolutely insane. Buffing whilst healing is gross. You can only beat UD with heavy list tailoring and knowing their list in advance. UD is Broken at the moment.
    • Barbarian core is less powerful than warrior core by a significant margin, in both battles I lost a key combat because barbarians suck, and this sealed the HBE game (the UD game was a forgone conclusion but I could have salvaged some dignity with warriors by taking out one unit)
    • Barbarians + ledger for veil tokens using dangerous terrain is a viable option, as long as you don't expect anything useful out of your barbs in combat.
    • Lust + warrior knights is overpriced because you basically get a whole chaff piece for the price of the lust upgrade. Chaffing your target and then charging it is better than fleeing from it and hoping to do something clever with the rally.
    • Lust + chosen knights is a viable option though envy or greed are probably better at that points level (i.e. a cheap upgrade).
    • fallen bunker + rangers boots is not competitive
    • Overall the EH is better than what you can get for the same points in a wizard master
    • Veil walker on master is significantly overpriced
    And finally:

    • The hellmaw with musicians is EXTREMELY strong and fun to play - I'm waiting to get my warriors back online so that I can play more with this combination.

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Auto2 ().

  • Auto2 wrote:


    • Lust + warrior knights is overpriced because you basically get a whole chaff piece for the price of the lust upgrade. Chaffing your target and then charging it is better than fleeing from it and hoping to do something clever with the rally.
    • Lust + chosen knights is a viable option though envy or greed are probably better at that points level (i.e. a cheap upgrade)

    This has literally been my issue with the lust mark all the time. It's just not an upgrade you want to put on an expensive combat unit. Thnx for playtesting it though
  • TheBloodyLance wrote:

    This has literally been my issue with the lust mark all the time. It's just not an upgrade you want to put on an expensive combat unit.
    Lust would be good on smaller units of warrior knights, but look at the price:

    5 warrior knights, great weapon: 250 points
    Favoured champion + lust : 100 points

    Is it worth 100 points on this unit to be able to flee? No. Take that 100 points and buy a unit of chaff so that you don't have to flee. Flayers are only 140, warhounds are 100.

    In addition, fleeing on Dis 8 is still somewhat dangerous. 10% of the time you fail the rally. Sometimes you'll roll like absolute @#£* for your flee roll and get caught. And if you do rally you might have fled too far (maybe you rolled boxcars on the flee and popped through terrain or another unit) and then you lost your unit for 2-3 turns and it is almost as bad as if you just died.

    If you have a chaff unit instead of the lust upgrade you're able to just push - opponent eats chaff and you either charge or get out of the way.

    I think Lust needs to go to 6 points/model. Then you pay 40+5×6 = 70. This at least gives you a discount compared to taking chaff

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Auto2 ().

  • @Auto2
    So do you use the portals to dance around the opponent? Putting them behind your units sort of sounds like avoidance. I could be wrong though.

    Also, Mark of Lust grants strider as well, which shouldn’t be overlooked on cavalry. Ignoring terrain is very strong.
    Moreover, I consider that the Seven Sins should be destroyed as an army background.
  • Mahlzeit wrote:

    So do you use the portals to dance around the opponent? Putting them behind your units sort of sounds like avoidance. I could be wrong though.
    Well your unit might end up running forward over a portal and wanting to go back into it the next turn.

    In my game vs HBE I gave my opponent the impression that my barbarians were going to enter a portal in the centre and teleport to a portal on his left flank, measuring carefully to the centre portal, making sure I was 8'' away etc. So he set up TWO units watching the portal (and facing towards his left table edge). And this was already a refused flank so the units were facing nothing on that side. Obviously it was pretty interesting to look at - I hear they have some good shows on chaos TV that you can watch on those portals.

    viewing_gallery.jpg

    And of course I just let them sit there watching it and pushed on his right flank. trollface.jpg

    Then later once he had turned them around and some other stuff had happened, I free reformed with my barbarians & went backwards into the portal and appeared behind them.

    Thanks to portal shenanigans I got my ranked up barbarians and barb chief into the flank of his flame wardens with no buffs and -1 Off/Def from rot within, but the barbs really let me down. They lost combat IN THE FLANK, fled from combat and were caught and destroyed.

    The post was edited 11 times, last by Auto2 ().

  • @Auto2 thanks for sharing. That was some proper trickster god stunts you pulled. :)
    All things wargaming. My super entertaining hobby blog where anything wargaming related can happen.

    "I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • Mahlzeit wrote:

    @Auto2 sounds like quite some fun, haha! And yeah, barbs are a bit sad indeed on the offensive...
    Nicely done though! You still lost the game?
    Yeah I think it was a 17-3 loss, I did fall victim to three things:

    1. Testing out experimental choices that are really quite bad. Master with veil walker and fallen bunker versus exalted herald, barbarians vs warriors, lust knights versus vanilla. Do not take a master with veil walker on a mobile platform, definitely take an exalted herald for a mobile caster. it's approximately 300 points better to take the EH.
    2. Some extremely bad luck at crucial moments. I was actually slightly unlucky in the barbs vs flame wardens combat. I rolled some absolute !"£$ in the magic phase - 4 dice needing a 7 and I rolled 1, 1, 1, 3. Then five dice needing 8 and I triple 6 miscast. 4 attempts at casting breath of corruption and multiple fails to cast on 3 or 4 dice. 5 ryma knights inflict 8 wounds on the charge against knights with a 1+ save, lust knights failed to rally needing 8 on minimized roll
    3. Not enough chaff in the list: specifically I think my list needed 2 units of dogs in order to support pushes as well as the 2 flayers
    Some positive takeaways:

    - flayers with skinning lash are pretty good now.
    - small units of fallen (5) are actually pretty good
    - hellmaw is good but you need to take 1 ominous gateway.
    - it's better to use chosen knights and chaff to push a position, and warrior knights mostly need to be mobile and threatening (looking for flanks, etc)
    - to push a position you need a sufficiently big hammer that you can break most things. 4-5 envy chosen knights, for example.

    The post was edited 4 times, last by Auto2 ().

  • Auto2 wrote:

    Mahlzeit wrote:

    @Auto2 sounds like quite some fun, haha! And yeah, barbs are a bit sad indeed on the offensive...
    Nicely done though! You still lost the game?
    Yeah I think it was a 17-3 loss, I did fall victim to three things:
    1. Testing out experimental choices that are really quite bad. Master with veil walker and fallen bunker versus exalted herald [...] Do not take a master with veil walker on a mobile platform, definitely take an exalted herald for a mobile caster. it's approximately 300 points better to take the EH.

    Sorry but i strongly disagree here.

    I've tested during 3 games the master Evocation and added for the last two games the Veil Walker.

    For 610 pts (Master, VW, scyted Skywheel, Destiny's Call) you got a mobile caster (18 fly), easy to hide (standard with tall => goes behind let's say Forsworn or Forsaken one), with 4 differents spells you can tune for the opponent army (double snipe, double support, or double support, snipe and Hellfire for example are my favorites choices).

    Evocation attribute combo's nicely with Veil Walker (pay 1 veil token for that extra 6' range and snipe at 30', get back the veil token with the attribute).

    All his damage spells can be used without a line of sight while Herald needs it (Grave calls or Marked for Doom) : you can play safer.

    On top of that, he got 4+/4++ with Hard Target and cost 240 pts less than the Herald.

    Sure, he does not go into close combat but this is not the role of a support caster imho.

    Put simply : Maybe the fallen bunker is not the way to go with a Master.
    Après, si vous êtes plus à l'aise avec les notions concrètes...
  • Tibo wrote:

    Auto2 wrote:

    Mahlzeit wrote:

    @Auto2 sounds like quite some fun, haha! And yeah, barbs are a bit sad indeed on the offensive...
    Nicely done though! You still lost the game?
    Yeah I think it was a 17-3 loss, I did fall victim to three things:
    1. Testing out experimental choices that are really quite bad. Master with veil walker and fallen bunker versus exalted herald [...] Do not take a master with veil walker on a mobile platform, definitely take an exalted herald for a mobile caster. it's approximately 300 points better to take the EH.

    Sorry but i strongly disagree here.
    I've tested during 3 games the master Evocation and added for the last two games the Veil Walker.

    For 610 pts (Master, VW, scyted Skywheel, Destiny's Call) you got a mobile caster (18 fly), easy to hide (standard with tall => goes behind let's say Forsworn or Forsaken one), with 4 differents spells you can tune for the opponent army (double snipe, double support, or double support, snipe and Hellfire for example are my favorites choices).

    Evocation attribute combo's nicely with Veil Walker (pay 1 veil token for that extra 6' range and snipe at 30', get back the veil token with the attribute).

    All his damage spells can be used without a line of sight while Herald needs it (Grave calls or Marked for Doom) : you can play safer.

    On top of that, he got 4+/4++ with Hard Target and cost 240 pts less than the Herald.

    Sure, he does not go into close combat but this is not the role of a support caster imho.

    Put simply : Maybe the fallen bunker is not the way to go with a Master.
    Grave calls and marked for doom dont need line of sight, they arent missiles
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

    Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

    WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

    WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
  • Tibo wrote:

    WastelandWarrior wrote:

    Grave calls and marked for doom dont need line of sight, they arent missiles
    Damn you are right ! they were missile in 0.205 and it is not the case anymore.
    Good point for Occult Sorcerer and Exalted Herald.

    Thank you for pointing that.
    Try some feldrak blockers for blasty herald against shooty armies. I love marching up behind the meatshield blasting the warmachines and missile troops off!
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

    Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

    WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

    WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019