Gaming etiquette

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Gaming etiquette

I need some opinions gentlemen how you see this situation.

I played somebody in a test match today and after 1.5 turns my vanguarding unit won a fight at the flank and then he said that could give up since he can't win anymore.

Winning that combat was essential and I killed 700 points and was in his flank. But there were still ways to prevent a total disaster.

Nevertheless I think it's not sportsmanlike to give up after 1.5 turns when the points difference is only 700 points.

Am I wrong here?

Would appreciate some thoughts
    Gotta kill those elves
  • Not something id do, or condone, but if your opponent was salty enough to ragequit at that point he probably saved you 4.5 turns of listening to endless complaining.
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
  • What do you mean by "test match"? Was there less of an expectation to complete the game? Did the "test" have a conclusion?

If it was simply just "a match", then this is rather unacceptable without your consent. If you are going to ask someone to commit their time to a 6 round match with you, then you should be prepared to commit the same for them. I think resignation is OK, but if you want to resign, it is up to your opponent to accept that resignation. Simply stating "i'm done" is a pretty salty thing to do.

Was there time / the offer for a rematch?
  • While I do generally agree that it was way too soon for your opponent to give up, there is one extra thing to consider that has not quite been mentioned yet.

This is a 2-player game, and if one player is not enjoying the game then they have every right to stop. There is nowhere that says your opponent is forced to sit down and finish, even if they are hating it.
  • I´v played maybe 1000 tabletop-games (not 9th age). When I get hurt real bad the first rounds, yeah..first tought is "f this", I´m going home, ragepaint a new army and sell the old one for 1£.
    The thing is...you wont improve as a player if you just quit. Thats why I stay and give the other guy a realy hard time (saving Point and similar).
    But the "etiquette" then… You play on and keep that smile all through the game (and hoping he will do a fatal mistake to turn the game)
  • Barax wrote:

I´v played maybe 1000 tabletop-games (not 9th age). When I get hurt real bad the first rounds, yeah..first tought is "f this", I´m going home, ragepaint a new army and sell the old one for 1£.
    The thing is...you wont improve as a player if you just quit. Thats why I stay and give the other guy a realy hard time (saving Point and similar).
    But the "etiquette" then… You play on and keep that smile all through the game (and hoping he will do a fatal mistake to turn the game)
    very true. Though on the rare occasion that lesson gets taught on turn 2 ;).

Actually happened today to a fairly new player. He set up his lanes poorly....had his charging shabti wiped/crumbled by my doomlord/forsworn combo... they charged a badly positioned sphinx who took some damage, crumbled.... and saw the doomlord and posse overrun into the flank of the elite skellies (tomb guard?).

That was a brutal lesson in positionong.

In that instance... a reset is fine
    Goblin, Daemon Legions and Warriors of the Dark Gods Player and 9th Age Staffer
    Follow my journey through the world of 9th Age HERE
  • i dunno - if you play anything like me, you'd still manage to loose 20-0

Its a jerk thing to do - but i think you saved more headache than it was worth.

I dont get the attitude myself.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• He has full right to resign. Just shake his hand, rerack and teach him another lesson. If there is not much time left to play another game, I would rather finish the game. I'm not the type of player to resign. If I make a mistake, I prefer to make my opponent work hard for the victory and try to get a a few points to not get 20'd.
  • I think it very much comes down to the attitude one takes when resigning. In magic, for instance, I have far more respect for an opponent who says they can't win in a polite and calm manner, and then picks up his cards and offers a handshake, than one who angrily scoops up their cards, mutters something about skilless decks and storms off.
    "Treat them with honour, my Brothers. Not because they will bring us victory this day, but because their fate will one day be ours."
    -Astorath the Grim
  • He clearly got a bad match up (and position) and got rolled through. It's not hard for that to absolutely cascade into losing another thing piece by piece, especially as you categorized the win as 'essential'. Rather than drag out what was sounding likely to be a loss, he conceded a few turns of messy combat and dragging on to maybe offer something a bit more enjoyable for both parties.

Very rare is it you get a Game 2.

He did nothing wrong.
  • The nature of the situation changes it for me. If finishing the game is legitimately a formality in terms of result because of positioning I don’t really have an issue with the resigning.

I had a game against change demons at a tournament that there was, from the outset, nothing I could do to stop. I had no way to pin down his ranged damage dealers, and has basically no saves against it (BH and no armour around to speak of). We played three turns, he had taken off 1000 points of minotaurs, my wizard and my minotaur warlord and I just said “look we can see this game is just gonna be you sweeping over and taking my models off, but I managed to get units in the centre for the objective for two turns and you cant get there til next turn so I contest the objective. You cool with just taking the 17-3 and grabbing some beers?”. It was already a very friendly game so there was no issue.

But in a game where theres a chance to do something, even if not to win but to think “Ill get 20-ed, but Im gonna get those bloody chosen that blew through my lines before I go down”, I wouldn’t try to stop.

I do have the occasional game where something gamebreaking happens T1/2 (last night I terrored off my opponents general on T2) that basically ruins the game, in which case if its not a tournament (or even if it is and I like the bloke) I generally essentially say “na that didnt happen lets keep going”. Because I dont want the game to be unfun for my opponent due to some early bad luck.
    Probably the Least Useless Player in the World - International Herminard Poll 2018
  • I also had that kind of matches. There is absolute no reason to be "upset" about him giving up IF the situation is really that dire. I had a situation, where a 12" to roll charge into the flank of a sphinx, wich was killed followed by a 11" overrun into my hierophant carrier with NO counters near in his second turn. I had no counters ready for that kind of situation, and the hiero was my only caster. I still tried to "safe" it in the magic phase, but after failing to roll 6+ with 2 dices (including reroll with UD artifact) and 8+ with 3 dices, i gave up. We had a nice nerd-talk afterwards about what ifs and chitchat. But - in all earnest - we both saw ABSOLUT no meaning in playing this until the end. And - if the situation is visiable shitty beyond belief, there is also no merrit for you as an opponent.

If its not a tournament game, where every point counts, i don't see any point in playing a game wich will end in 99,99% of all cases in a 0:20 regardless whats going to happen.

ps: In our local gaming group, we mostly ignore game-ending "accidents" in round 1/2 because of bad luck. (like failed panic checks with ld10-reroll carriers) or a exploding/dying wizard-master general with 4 dices. We play for fun and if some really bad luck would throw the game off right from the start, we change it as we see fit. (Like changing 3 wounds to 2 wounds or exploding to spell failed and is forgotten)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zwei ().

• it depends on many factor. Some people don't like play a game that they can not win, other like to play till the end. In a friendly match I see no problem in doing it, if it happen earlyer just pack up and restart. You are here to try things, playing a already win match is not helpfull sometimes.

Playtester

DL-Comunity Support

Master of the Coins

• I'm not the type to quit, I'll recklessly kill anything I can when I'm clearly behind in the match. I've lost already so speeding up the massacre seems legit, and hey sometimes you luck out on the dice and slaughter something important.

I have nothing against others quitting, though. A win is a win, and if someone can't see the fun in the murderous glee of a cornered beast with nothing to lose, that's their loss :evil: better luck next game, champ, let's go get pints.
    "You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -Death
    Phae's Pointy-Ear Blog: Elves in a Corner
  • In the end its all about the attitude. If the guy was nice and polite about folding then fine i guess. If he was aggro and salty then not cool.

I have a tradition over the last year or two, of randomly drawing the same player for the first round of one tournement i attend. he is a much better player than me and there is realistically no chance of me winning. I try and score one more point every time we play. They have been some of the most enjoyable games ive ever played. 4 points really feels like a win when the chances are slim!
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019