Printed Rulebook 2.0 and Arcane Compendium now available at Amazon [updated]

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Printed Rulebook 2.0 and Arcane Compendium now available at Amazon [updated]

[Updated 06.01. to sum up all changes]

Hello everybody & a Happy New Year,

since Christmas I tried to make the 2.0 Rulebook available as printed document. Finally rulebook and Arcane Compendium are now available at Amazon for a decent price. Price is around 16€ for the Rulebook and 6€ for the Arcane Compendium, varying based on VAT. As some people asked me to put that in the general forum - so here we go. :D

(books on the photos are testprints, therefore the grey bar at the cover, the colour has been put a bit more to the light blue now)

The book is listed (nearly) in every country at Amazon, just put in the ID into the searchfield or use a link.
    Rulebook: ID 179218915X, Amazon.com, Amazon.es, Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, Amazon.jp etc... [Update: the Rulebook is currently not available through some technical issues with the PDF file created, might take one or two weeks to fix it :killed: ]
    Arcane Compendium: ID 1793115516, Amazon.com, Amazon.es, Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it

Some more pics about them.

The story behind: At the start I just wanted to have my personal version of the Gold Rulebook brinted and bound. Checking out the forums I could not find any option to simply order it. Long story short I realized that the print on demand from Amazon is much cheaper then doing it at the next copyshop here - and it would also allow others simply to click and order the rulebook at a decent price. As this idea formed around Christmas it became obvious that it would be also a great asset for promoting and growing the game.
    Having an easy and cheap way to replace all these loose paper collections would improve the outside appearance quite drastically.

Three things I would like to stress related to the topic of the Rulebook:
    1. Amazon's business practices are not free of doubt. Unfortunately it was the only way to make the printed rulebook available around the world combined with a good price.
    2. I have no intend to get into the way of any business doing a cool hard cover book - I just want to make the rulebook available at a decent price for a decent quality.
    3. There is also no intend to make money with the Rulebook from my side. If there will be any profit from the Rulebook it will be donated to the 9th Age
    For those who want a closer look at the print I have recorded a short flip through the Rulebook [with the initial white cover]: Youtube (~1 min).

Last but not least many thanks to @Eru for his support on putting the document to US Letter format; and to the Legal und Exec Team for their promt and kind help :thumbsup: .

From discussion I had the recent days it became obvious that there is a wish to have the Acrance Compendium available in this format too. I started to dig a bit into that topic and will make it available too. The price should be around 5€, and the work should be done next week. (As part of the discussion the idea came up to change the colour of the Rulebook cover to match the Acrance Compendium - but not yet decided)

Finally some wired things I learned the last two weeks:
    - by some strange reason the book is listed in Japan, but not in Amazon.nl ?(
    - based on German press law I am forced to provide one copy to the national library to have the book added to the cultural heritage ("kulturelles Erbe"). So T9A rules in English are now added to the cultural heritage of Rheinland-Pfalz :killed:

P.S: The next days I will clarify if there is a demand for Slim Armybooks too. They the last missing part of the rules currently unavailable. If yes I plan to start doing them next week...
    If you do not like 9th Age - fine, it is your right to do so. But do not spoil our fun - go and find your game, be it AoS, 5th Edition, Magic or Dublo

The post was edited 4 times, last by Uthegen ().

• Uthegen wrote:

Hello everybody & a Happy New Year,

since Christmas I tried to make the 2.0 Rulebook available as printed document. Finally the rulebook is now available at Amazon for a decent price. Price is around 16€, varying based on VAT. Some people asked me to put that in the general forum - so here we go. :D

the-ninth-age.com/index.php?at…bdb0214a4fee2120157d88a66the-ninth-age.com/index.php?at…bdb0214a4fee2120157d88a66
    (books on the photos are testprints, therefore the grey bar at the cover)

The book is listed (nearly) in every country at Amazon, just put in the ID into the searchfield: 179218915X, or use a link:
    Amazon.com, Amazon.es, Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, Amazon.jp etc...

At the start I just wanted to have my personal version of the Gold Rulebook brinted and bound. Checking out the forums I could not find any
    option to simply order it. Long story short I realized that the print on demand from Amazon is much cheaper then doing it at the next copyshop
    here - and it would also allow others simply to click and order the rulebook at a decent price. As this idea formed around Christmas it became obvious that it would be also a great asset for promoting and growing the game.
    Having an easy and cheap way to replace all these loose paper collections would improve the outside appearance quite drastically.

Three things I would like to stress related to that topic:
    1. Amazon's business practices are not free of doubt. Unfortunately it was the only way to make the printed rulebook available around the world combined with a good price.
    2. I have no intend to get into the way of any business doing a cool hard cover book - I just want to make the rulebook available at a decent price for a decent quality.
    3. There is also no intend to make money with the Rulebook from my side. If there will be any profit from the Rulebook it will be donated to the 9th Age
    For those who want a closer look at the print I have recorded a short flip through the book: Youtube (~1 min).

Last but not least many thanks to @Eru for his support on putting the document to US Letter format; and to the Legal und Exec Team for their promt and kind help :thumbsup: .

From discussion I had the recent days it became obvious that there is a wish to have the Acrance Compendium available in this format too. I started to dig a bit into that topic and will make it available too. The price should be around 5€, and the work should be done next week. (As part of the discussion the idea came up to change the colour of the Rulebook cover to match the Acrance Compendium - but not yet decided)

Finally some wired things I learned the last two weeks:
    - by some strange reason the book is listed in Japan, but not in Amazon.nl ?(
    - based on German press law I am forced to provide one copy to the national library to have the book added to the cultural heritage ("kulturelles Erbe"). So T9A rules in English are now added to the cultural heritage of Rheinland-Pfalz :killed:
    If I'm reading cultural heritage now, it makes me feel very well educated. 8-)

Rheinland-Pfalz ftw :thumbsup:
  • Just write a nice small article, include the links, and post them on your local wargaming / tabletop facebooks / forums. Should be doable for each country with this fanbase. Netherlands are covered. The message that these rules will remain stable really helped. I posted on Warhammer Nederland and Dutch Miniature Wargaming, and got quiet alot of likes (relatively for those pages, that is).
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • dan wrote:

The project can't advocate for or endorse any company's products.
    The only legal way I know:

1. Uthegen registers as Hobby Supplies Company
    2. Uthegen writes article for company newsletter in appropriate place
    3. Article is published as company newsletter
    StormRider Games
    StormRider Facebook

_____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
  • bk5b wrote:

Did anyone consider maybe adding "Shop" tab next to download or smth similar?

For example, no one, besides us lurkers on the forum, will find this or @Iluvatar great cards.
    Maybe the same goes for shops officially supporting 9th Age too. Anywhere I can suggest this besides this topic ?
    Personally I think it is an important part to have not only good rules and a great game, but also to do a good roll out of that. Which includes in some way an easy way to get started with 9th Age. This is my motivation behind that print.

With the quick starter we have one good first step for people starting with the hobby. Which addresses some types of interested people quite well - but fails for others. Some are happy to read the downloadable rule at the smart phone - others need a book at their desk.

To convince seasoned tabletop players you need easy to get and good quality stuff - like the magic cards. They are easy to get, but only after you have invested some time crawling through the forums. And you will need some more time to find out what their status in relation to the stability of the book is, e.g. how long will they (or the book) be unchanged.
    In addition to this we might have the luxury to have multiple offers for the Legendary Rulebook in some month. It would be a shame if these cool offers and the boost they do for the game (and all the investment behind) would not be visible and accessible.

Image by years end we will have (only) 3 or 4 options for printed rulebooks (e.g. slim&cheap, Legendary softcover, Legendary Hardcover, Legendary in Hardcover with Art and additional content). Now image a guy, interested in the game and wanting to get a rulebook. How does he get the information which choices he has ? Currently the way to go would be find the subforum Company Showcase and view all of them and then extract the information - or just moving on as he did not find the type of book he would like to have (but which would be there).

I doubt that "shop" would be the right term, more like "Supporting Gaming Material".
    Currently we have some 15 Company Supports and an endless list of miniature companies ... which is amazing, but not in any way easy to consume.

dan wrote:

The project can't advocate for or endorse any company's products.
    Are you sure that this a hard limitation and is that really good for growing the game - or might be a way to have good things for the gaming experience listed on a prominent place ? Be it a landing page, a tools page etc...

JimMorr wrote:

The only legal way I know:
    1. Uthegen registers as Hobby Supplies Company
    2. Uthegen writes article for company newsletter in appropriate place
    3. Article is published as company newsletter
    You might be correct - but most likely this will not happen. I am quite feed up with the barriers put up by Amazon, our press law and what ever concludes from that. What a bureaucracy for a community driven thing - just because it is not a download ?

[written too much :oops: ... do not get me wrong, I still think it is the right way to go :* ]
    If you do not like 9th Age - fine, it is your right to do so. But do not spoil our fun - go and find your game, be it AoS, 5th Edition, Magic or Dublo

The post was edited 3 times, last by Uthegen ().

• I will inquire if a sticky collection post with links to gametools lik armybuildprogramms, magic cards, rulebook printings is possible. But the answer will take some time.
    AvB member contributing mostly to:

TA / ACS / PT / Content

Translation / United Nation DE

The Fluxxcard App Blog: Inside TA. Please poke me if I did not answer your need in a week.
  • About the policy:
    @Arturius and me are in charge with linking T9A with supporting companies.
    In particular, we offer them writing rights in the Company Showcase forum, conveniently on top of the forums, and news on demand.
    Note that the current policy is that no team member could start his own company. Reason is to avoid conflict of interest, and even rumours of conflict of interest.

Those companies which do not explicitely support us, and any forum member, team or non-team, have all writing access to the Marketplace forum.
    This is a service we offer to everyone, including companies which are no matter their comercial status are normal members.

-=-=-
    What to do with the current offer?
    - of course, we welcome any service provided to the whole community, so thank you a lot @Uthegen
    - sadly, community members who don't know that this offer exists will not find easily this thread, which is not stickied and is in a "General" forum.
    - IMHO, it would be better to find this thread stickied, in the Marketplace.
    - This could be done by asking a Mod to please move this thread there and stick it.

-=-=-
    What would be the real adding value action to undertake?
    1. To patiently collect all similar offers, such as cards made by @Iluvatar or Print on demand made once by @Pellegrim.
    2. To create a thread with hyperlinks in the first post, named "Print on demand".
    3. To stick that thread on top of the Marketplace forum (any Mod can do that, just ask "Please stick" and provide a minimal argument such as it was explicitely desired by several members).
    4. As it would be a general service and no longer an individual offer, a link to that thread could be considered from the rules "download" pages. Again, it may be asked from an Admin, along with argumentation.

At the moment, what is lacking to start that is a thread with a list of printing offers.
    The team T9A has not done it. The community regrets it, as posts above testify.
    In a true T9A, "if-you-cannot-find-what-you-wish-do-it-yourself" spirit, I would love to see a community member undertake the tasks mentioned in the lines 1., 2. and 3. above. :)

-=-=-
    tl;dr
    When you find something not done properly, two solutions:
    - ask/complain/cry/beg...
    - do it yourself and ask help only for what you can't do.
    Second solution is often quicker and safer. ;)

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • Question:

In Denmark there's alot of interest in the book and we're looking at a bundle order. BUT the high shipping expenses within the country makes it almost cheaper if everyone orders seperately, which isnt cheap either...
    So i thought i would try and asks some of the Danish stores if they would care to order and then we could order through them.. But is that possible/'legal', if they at the same time were to make a profit from selling the book?
  • TobiasP wrote:

Question:

In Denmark there's alot of interest in the book and we're looking at a bundle order. BUT the high shipping expenses within the country makes it almost cheaper if everyone orders seperately, which isnt cheap either...
    So i thought i would try and asks some of the Danish stores if they would care to order and then we could order through them.. But is that possible/'legal', if they at the same time were to make a profit from selling the book?
    Which Amazon did you pick?

15 books to sweden was about 15 GPB in shipping. Unless I failed something it looked quite cheap :D
    Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans (ETC HYPE - CLICK ME!)