Angelic Legions Brainstorm thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Angelic Legions Brainstorm thread

After reading the Demonic Legions book. who is thinking of Angelic Legions?
      We got the 7 sins, how about the 7 virtues?

The book can just be an Auxillary book that uses all the units and just redoes the Characters and virtue specific manifestations. Which can end up modifying the various unit entries through their upgrades.
      And of course name changes for the various units.

So what do you guys all say? are you up for brainstorming some Angelic Legions? I don't have to be leader on this but I figured I'd start the ball rolling.
      Half the work is just coming up with fluff and names since most of the unit rules will be done with the finalization of DL book. Bulk of the work is just in the characters.

There are many virtues to chose from. Here is a link to Wikipedia.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue

Here are some Antonyms of the 7 sins:

Envy - Pity
      Gluttony - Temperance, Abstinence
      Greed - Generosity, Altrusim
      Lust - Apathy, Abstinence, Chastity
      Pride - Humility, Humble
      Sloth - Vigor, Ambition
      Wrath - Serenity, Patience

Not that they have to be Antonyms. The 7 sins could very well manifest themselves in a virtue-ful way instead of a sinful way.
      For this we just look up various synonms that sound good. Like Passion, Desire, Envy(is already one), Patience, Dignity
      Some of these can just be used to describe various manifestations too

Envy - ...envy is already the good word.
      Gluttony - Desire
      Greed - Eager
      Lust - Passion
      Pride - Dignity
      Sloth - Patience
      Wrath - Vengence/Justice

Of course we can just copy the 7 Christian virtues that I copy paste from wikipedia:
      • chastity
      • temperance
      • charity
      • diligence
      • patience
      • kindness
      • humility.[11]
      Can always swap a few of these with Synonyms to make them sound cooler.

The angles from Diablo 3:
      • Auriel, Archangel of Hope.
      • Imperius, Archangel of Valor.
      • Itherael, Archangel of Fate.
      • Malthael, Archangel of Wisdom (became the Angel of Death, killed in the Pandemonium Fortress)
      • Tyrael, Archangel of Justice (now the mortal Aspect of Wisdom, stripped of archangel status by the Council)

Tons of info on the how the various religions view all this stuff too that I'm not going to copy paste here.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Peacemaker ().

• personally I am not a fan of the mirrored forces of good-evil - in my opinion, "anti-paladins" dont make any sense, because being a paladin is inherently tied to being a good-willed character. It's the good guys ace in the hole; the forces of evil might seemingly be limitless, but the forces of good have individuals with strength and conviction that cant be matched. So in my mind, an Angelic army is going to be hyper elite, not just a reskin of some horde style book. Maybe something more analogous to OK, than DL as a basis in thought?
    • Pigtails wrote:

personally I am not a fan of the mirrored forces of good-evil - in my opinion, "anti-paladins" dont make any sense, because being a paladin is inherently tied to being a good-willed character. It's the good guys ace in the hole; the forces of evil might seemingly be limitless, but the forces of good have individuals with strength and conviction that cant be matched. So in my mind, an Angelic army is going to be hyper elite, not just a reskin of some horde style book. Maybe something more analogous to OK, than DL as a basis in thought?
      I am on board with this idea as well. Instead of Angelic Legion we have the Angelic Cohort! (Cohort is a smaller force than Legion). ...or Angelic Host.
      Smaller, more elite. Doesn't need a plethora of legacy units that swell up a book.

This kinda requires a whole book on it's own though rather than just an Auxillary book. Which means alot more work that most people won't bother looking at.

Marcos24 wrote:

Yeah, I’m hoping the virtues become the new KoE ones, rather than for some new angelic based supernal army
      Why can't we have both?
      WoDG are the sinful humans, while the demons are the manifestations of the sins.
      KoE are the virtuous humans, while the angels are the manifestations of the virtues.
    • We already have a force of apparently daemon-like manifestations who fight for virtues and the common good.

I am of course talking about the noble Vermin Daemon.
      Sie beobachtet
      Ewig kennen ihre schwarzen Augen die Ewigkeit
      Uralt, zeitlos, belauert Nukuja die Äonen, Zeuge des ersten Erwachens und des letzten Verhängnisses
      Ihr Wissen schlummert wie ein endloser Ozean
      Unsere Göttin, allumfassend, von der Heuschrecke bis zur Eule
      Ihr mächtiger Schlaf erschüttert das Erdgestein, Ihre Wacht entfacht die Sterne
      Sie regt die Gläubigen an zu warten, die wahre Lauterkeit der Geduld, und Ihr beizuwohnen während…
      Sie beobachtet
    • Eldan wrote:

We already have a force of apparently daemon-like manifestations who fight for virtues and the common good.

I am of course talking about the noble Vermin Daemon.
      Yes, I noticed the fluff has shown that we get a smattering of good/neutral/evil daemons in other books.
      The beings from the veil take on various forms and are not just single minded evil monsters like in the old lore.

I like this aspect of the new fluff. It kinda ties the whole world together.
      I think it's pretty cool the Kingdom Of Equitaine gets an Angelic Spirit Knight that shows up smashes face.

And the Wood Elves are friends with the neutral aligned Sylvan Spirits who are bound to trees. - could really expand on that fluff.
    • Mercenary Armies wrote:

why not an angelic force in golden heavy armour? They could come with lightning and storms. Is going to be very beautiful if they are going to be immortal..maybe if they die they could be reforged in some way
      This isn't the Unification Wars of Holey Terra from the 40k/30k Universe....
    • Jokes aside... some of the Stormcast models wouldnt' be the worst choice for an angelic-aligned Warriors of the Light Gods.
      Sie beobachtet
      Uralt, zeitlos, belauert Nukuja die Äonen, Zeuge des ersten Erwachens und des letzten Verhängnisses
      Sie regt die Gläubigen an zu warten, die wahre Lauterkeit der Geduld, und Ihr beizuwohnen während…
      Sie beobachtet
    • I don't really get the point of making it an auxillary book for demons instead of an army book of its own, in my mind the units I imagine in an angelic force aren't similar enough to the demons in the army book to match up. I do however like the idea of an angelic homebrew.

I like the idea of the virtues being antonyms of the sin, here is the list I would prefer at the moment.
      Envy - Compassion
      Gluttony - Temperance
      Greed - Generosity
      Lust - Chastity
      Pride - Humility
      Sloth - Ambition
      Wrath - Serenity

Different virtues could be represented by different angels, and there are a decent number in real mythology that could be used directly or as inspiration. I'm thinking the equivalent of the greater demons could be called something like "Avatar of Michael", a way for the Angels which represent the different virtues to take physical form.

In quotes I'm putting a short description of what the angel is described as representing, mainly taken from wikipedia.
      Some possible named angels that could be used:

Michael/Mikail "guardian, kindness"
      Gabriel/Jibrail "revealer, messenger, justice, power"
      Uriel "angel with flaming sword, patron of poetry, confirmation"
      Raphael "healing angel" (could represent compassion)
      Metatron "celestial scribe"
      Samael "angel of death"
      Azrael/Izrail "angel of death"
      Sandalphon "bringing together"
      Israfil
      Darda'il "the angels who travel in the earth searching out assemblies where people remember God's nam"

Name ideas for units:
      Ophanim/Ofanim/Galgalim "fiery wheels" "many eyed ones"
      Erelim "brave ones"
      Hashmallim "glowing ones, amber ones"
      Seraph/Seraphim "burning ones"
      Malakim "messengers/angels"
      Elohim "godly beings"
      Cherub/Cherubim
      Ishim/Eshim "manlike being" "composed of fire and snow"
      Mu'aqqibat "a class of guardian angels who keep people from death until their decreed time"
      Fravashi "personal guardian angel in zoroastrianism"
    • Aeon wrote:

The only thing that interest me is the reasons used by this army to slaughter other races in the battlefield...
      There is room for many kinds of explanations.

If these being are seen as the opposite of the demons, as physical manifestations of virtues. Then all other beings will be tainted, tainted by sins and tainted by the demonic arch enemies of the angels. And tainted things must be purged, purified, liberated from the demonic. And in a grim fantasy world the solution is clearly total war.

Another angle is to see single creatures as very extreme towards a certain virtue towards a point where they more represent something that would be evil to a human because there is no limit and no balance what so ever in their character. Perhaps all angels of chasitity seeks to punish any form of sexuality what so ever. Angels of serenity calmly execute anyone who shows a hint of anger or stirred feelings. Angels of compassion kill anyone who suffers as an act of their endless sense of compassion and willingless to end the suffering.

They can also be so alien in their nature that their goals and ambitions aren't understood by the mortal races, perhaps an eternal struggle against demons in which the other races of the world are just obstacles or bugs in the way that accidently get squished.
    • I definitely like this thread! Very interesting. :)

Aeon wrote:

The only thing that interest me is the reasons used by this army to slaughter other races in the battlefield...
      Even otherworldly and/or righteous beings can be wrong.
      And armies that we think of being totally 'good' like DH and EoS can drawn into darkness. Sometimes even without knowing it.

'Sinfull living' is something that a lot of creatures do. Especially in the eyes of the fanatics and lawful beings.
      An overambitous dwarfen lord could be considered sinfull because he is greedy and doesn't even share with his own kin in another hold.

Or an overly ambitious Cuatl lord that would do anything/too much to reach his saurian goals.

When the Grey Knights for 40K came out back then, GW made a big list of possible ways to duell the Knights with other armies.

Big question is obviously:
      Are the Angelics directly and pure enemies to the Demonic Legions?
      If if yes, why is it like that?
      Is there a power that created them and stand directly opposed to the Veil?
      If the Demons are pure manifestations of the Veil, are the Angelics pure manifestations of something else or with a special power empowered mortal beings?
    • I mean it is all about PR. We do not need angelic legion, they already here. Dark Gods can work in a subtle ways and pretend to be angelic force. Or be viewed as angelic force by their followers. Much the way Tyrranid Cult views Tyrranid Invasions as Descent of Gods. Or they actually might be the angelic force as the Great Conflict is not Good vs Evil but Order vs Chaos. There is no reason why daemons couldn't be actually the good guys...
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook

_____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
    • Its funny.

In a german fantasy RPG there are a numerous gods or at least godlike entities.
      Some of those were even demons before or considered to be bad.
      Nevertheless at some time an emperor of a human decided to declare 12 gods as 'the core gods' or 'full gods'. Everything else was considered to be a less powerful god, a demon or just some kind of unpowerful nonsense.

Funny thing is that players can find out that some of the demons or nonsense gods were considered as full grown gods hundreds of years before. And were also worshipped by normal humans.

Meaning that, again, the 'winner defines history'. Nothing that is 'common knowledge' has to be the truth.

I would find find it hilarious if, like you suggest, the DL are actually the good guys. Or at least not the bad guys.

Maybe the "Armies of Faith" could be an army of worshippers of the 'non dark' gods including otherworldly entities, 'stormcast warriors', fanatics and priests.
      But without saying that they are the good guys. Just not the 'demonic guys'. :D ;)
    • JimMorr wrote:

Or they actually might be the angelic force as the Great Conflict is not Good vs Evil but Order vs Chaos. There is no reason why daemons couldn't be actually the good guys...
      Well, if we conceptualize Angels then as a force of Order, then in a way, indeed Chaos is a force of "good." In the sense that it tempers and keeps overwhelming order (i.e. stasis, tyranny, authoritarianism) in check. Their methodology on the other hand though? Well, that could be a different story. But what is the other choice, perhaps.

In a way though, the fascist authoritarian and the decadent are just two different faces of the same coin really.
    • One "Army of the Good Faiths" doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Why would there be a combined army of Sonnstahlers, Equitainians, Dwarves and Elves? They don't have that much in common, except maybe a common enemy in chaos. That would just bring us back to the bad old days of Storm of Chaos and similar campaigns where everyone had to be crowbared into one of two sides, destroying all the nice potential politics we built up.
      Sie beobachtet
      Sie beobachtet