WotDG Pride Army: The Lidless Watchers - Painting an army with washes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• WotDG Pride Army: The Lidless Watchers - Painting an army with washes

Hi everyone,

For the past few months I've been on and off painting my Warriors of the Dark Gods army. My technique is basically using washes to create all color with a couple of exceptions, such as metals and highlighting details here and there.

I decided to paint the warriors with a striking blue color scheme, as to represent what was then Change / Tzeentch, but nowadays is Savar. I had bought a starter set for AoS and painted it within a couple of months. Then I decided to dive in, but, although I had bought quite some minis, I felt that the fluff was most needed and stopped for a while, as it took quite some mental effort to paint something I wasn't sure if I would like.

Last summer, after our successful relaunch of the Torneo Guarjamer Piñera, some of the participants and myself decided to commit to a challenge of painting 4500 points of whatever army by next August. And here is where I am at the moment, after getting fully absorbed by it once again! The release of 2.0, Circling the Abyss and the new Daemon Legions book have greatly bolstered my interest in the Dark Gods and their mortal servants, and it has helped me keep interest in painting the miniatures.

Without further ado, I present to you what I have been painting these past months. I hope you enjoy!
      LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
      :mentalist: youtube.com/c/MiguelGarciaFernandez :mentalist:
    • Let's start with my first miniature for WotDG, this guy:

I used the mini as a test base for seeing how to do the armor and other parts. Unfortunately I decided to varnish it with spray varnish from GW (bad, bad, bad idea... I should know better, but I just wishfully forgot about how bad it would screw up a paintjob if it fogged, which it did).

The new version needs a picture, which I will take some other time.

Then I painted the warriors from the box:

The Lidless Eye is the iconic element for the whole army. Without knowing back then what would the symbology be regarding the Chaos/Dark Gods, I thought using something as simple to design as straightforward and ambivalent as this would make much sense.

The armor was painted using two coats of Guilliman Blue, with some small details such as scratches and what not. The capes were painted using Carroburg Crimson. In fact there is a detailed tutorial on my Youtube channel where I explain how to achieve the same results.

After painting the first unit I decided to paint a lord on foot, just to see how I would tackle characters in general. The miniature was quite fun to paint and it game me some more ideas on how to do certain things in the army:

And after him, I decided to do some cavalry:

These minis were quite more laborious, as they have a lot of extra details and things that need attention. But they are very cool too!

More pictures to follow soon!
      LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT YOUR MINIATURES EASY AND FAST WITH A NO-BRAINER TECHNIQUE:
    • After the debacle with the matt varnish killing my first miniature for the army, I just painted the rest of the box from the starter set and left it untouched until I had done the warriors and the chariot, which was the last to be painted:

One thing I had decided: I like doing the small marks on the armor to represent damage, and I would include this on all the miniatures to break the big flag surfaces.

Having done it all, and seeing that the bases would be grey ash from the Wasteland, where some dry grass and snow were present, I striped the evil wizard and started to paint it with a scheme more in line with what I had painted until then:

With the wizard finished, I had the whole box painted and it was time to start buying some more minis to continue the process of building an army worthy of The Fallen Star!

More pictures to follow!
    • It is something I heard being called "fogging", "frosting" and/or "clouding", which is muting the details of the mini and giving it a white-ish patina that kills all color. It is even worse sometimes, making small bubbles on the surface.

The thing is, there are some solutions out there, but I am not really sure of how good they are.

When I lived in the States I used Krylon Matt Varnish, and it was awesome. Never had a problem. Better yet: I would give a coat of Modge Podge shine and then the matt varnish to kill the shine, and it would make the paintjob quite sturdy.

Most people swear by doing varnishing on a dry and warm environment -not hot, as it would dry the varnish before it would hit the mini and make it look "rough". There is a lot of variables to take into account when using spray varnish, and if you get the brand that is right for you, you will swear by it, but otherwise it is a risky business sometimes.

Never, ever, ever use GW purity seal. I've made the same mistake before, and I swear I will never do it again.
    • Once I was done with the starter set for AoS, it was time to move on to more minis. I bought some more stuff both in a store as well as online - the latter mostly second hand abused minis, as I have a fetish with those and fixing them- and painted from those
      a new unit of warriors to have enough muscle behind:

This would also be my first monthly pledge to the challenge of our group. I had enough rank & file warriors, and I started to need some more muscle in other departments.
    • I love your stuff and your videos, it's great to see a whole army get done!

I've done some research before I bought my varnish spray. Everything you hear and read of GW Purity Seal seams to be true. In all likeliness it was a faulty/crappy product (like Imperial Primer... oh boy.) No surprise it was discontinued and the new varnish spray got a new name. I use that one (munitorium varnish) now and I'm completely happy with it (army painter seemed to matt for my taste). I've used it during summer (morning hours with high humidity) and cold winter from out of the window, held it under a lamp for a few seconds and put it inside to dry. Not a problem so far :)
      doing the Lorenzo Lupo Workout everyday till Iron Crowns AB is released
    • Hey,

Didn't know that you had a topic on this forum !

I would like to thank you for all the tutos and advices you give on you Youtube channel. Thanks to you I've improved my productivity and even quality of painting (60 wild orcs in 2 evening sessions - with good quality standards - and other stuffs).

you have incredible results and fun techniques ! thx a lot. This WDG army is just amazing btw !
    • Glad some people are finding the wash technique useful to get their piles of plastic and metal painted and table-ready! I am fully aware that highlights and shading are not easy for everyone, and that time for people who prefer playing rather than painting is better spent on the table with dice rather than the one with brushes!

Having said that, I hope there will be more and more painted armies, as it is a very welcome sight when you have opponents that have actually done such a great thing with their minis. Also, the best way to attract previous players and new ones is showcasing a hobby that is as spectacular as it is when the table and the minis look good. We need to get rid of that myth that the game is only for "pros" than only care about the mechanics and don't give a damn about the aesthetics.

Ok, next entry, getting closer to the actual date and situation of my painting log:

As I said before, I looked for cheap minis on eBay. I usually buy old, badly, OOP miniatures, as their prices are quite affordable and there is this strong component of restoration that I am deeply fond of. This is not for everyone, though, as some of you probably prefer having decent minis and worry only about painting, but I thoroughly enjoy it. Crazy Spaniards and all that, you know...

I also bought several things from MOM, which has superb miniatures for a wack price.

I spent a few days letting the eBay minis soak on brake fluid, cleaned them from the gunk that was the soddy paintjobs that they had, then built them and prepped them for paint.

You've seen some of the warriors in the previous post, but here are the tiny pictures I could salvage from my eBay buy history:

So upon building them, I had to decide what to do with those, but this was before the summer break, and during it I organised theTorneo Guarjamer Piñera, which I had stopped doing for several years due to living outside of Spain. The new edition was quite a success, and we will organize it this year and as many more as we can keep playing the game!

So, the cool thing after the tournament is that some of us decided to pledge to paint an army this year so next edition we could go to the even with the newly painted minis. This is why I am pushing more warriors now.

And now that we have some more background to the flog, new entry, this one with some Chosen Warriors made out of the old 5th edition Chaos Warriors + a 4th edition Sorcerer:

For those of you old/savvy enough of old WHFB miniatures, you will have noticed that these warriors stand proud and erect, compared to what the miniatures use to look:

It used to be the norm for minis to look like orcs, for some reason the heads would pop out from the chest instead of having a proper neck. Nothing some simple modelling and green putty wouldn't fix.

The Sorcerer is this fancy chap:

Unfortunately I went a little overboard with the varnish and got some ugly deposits here and there, but it will do!

More updates soon!
    • zqn365 wrote:

You use brake fluid to remove paint from plastics?

Ok@mi wrote:

Yes: affordable, reusable, easy to find, can leave the plastic in it for months without problems.
      Im using pine soap. Sink minis for few days and wash with old toothbrush. Gets the paint off and you can handle it in kitchen, non poisonous and smell is ok.
    • Beware, brake fluid is highly toxic, you shouldn't just throw it away.

That's why I usually use alcohol instead. Get the less diluted alcohol possible, warm it up a little bit (like 15 seconds in the microwave) and then throw the minis in. Not always as effective as brake fluid, but at least not that environmentally unhealthy

Now @Ok@mi you can keep with your stuff xD

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

Marathon Finisher :D

My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must
    • New

A small update today, almost there where I will show you what I am currently painting!

By then this is what the army was looking like:

And then came last month's pledged miniatures: more chosen with halberds (these ones without shields, although they do have those in the game). Among them there is the classic monopose 4th edition Chaos Warrior, very nice and easy to paint, made me fall in love with it and reminded me a lot of the Heroquest Chaos Warriors.

So that would make another 14 chosen for the force.

Deciding I could very well paint something else to add to the list in December's pledge, I added this beautiful guy from MOM miniatures:

It was then time to start my painting pledge for January, and I decided to go all out with some cavalry and heroes. Photos soon!