9th Age as A Wandering Path - Where are we now, and where are we going?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• 9th Age as A Wandering Path - Where are we now, and where are we going?

You know, nothing makes me ponder more than being misquoted. I don't know how or why it happens, but I've been misquoted in everything from Academic essays to Gaming articles to blog posts. Speaking of Blog posts, though, I'm sure most people recall a blog post that was hotly debated here, that refered to 9th Age as a "slowly sinking ship." Now the author of this post chose to quote me in there, and hey, guess what! Misquote! Or should I say, cherry picked quoting that made me seem like a hardcore, no-fun rules lawyer who ruined the fun of a guy just trying to play Age of Sigmar. (If you're curious, you can read my actual reply here, without the gratitious cherry-picking.

But it did make me stop and think, and ultimately I want to get more people's thoughts on this. Where is 9th age at at this point in time, and where do we want to go? Those aren't easy questions to just contemplate as a whole, so let me break them down a bit.

1) Where is 9th Age now?

By this, I'm looking at where 9th age stands in the world of wargames now. I've just moved to Japan, where this game is practically non-existant (at least until I get my hands on some more players). I think it's safe to say we're not a household name in wargaming yet. But are we spread across geographical lines? If so, why? Also, where are we with the game itself? It's probably easily said that most of us are old hands at warhammer, and as such, this game has used that as a base. But where are we now? Are we still in the throes of shaking of the remnants of 8th Edition? Have we evolved past that into our own entity, but stay linked by concepts and ideas?

2) Where is 9th Age going?

This is the more interesting question of the two, and I think with the release of 2.0 and new army books, it's a good time to think about our goals for the future in concrete terms. What does everyone want 9th Age to be - to you, what does "success" look like in 9th Age? Will we have succeeded if we become the go-to fantasy wargame? Or perhaps if 9th age is a viable option for those who tire of Age of Sigmar and other mainstream titles? This links back to where we are now, as well - do you feel that the direction the game is taking now is conducive to your idea of success?

I'd love to hear as many thoughts as I can from various people on this! This project has meant a fair bit to me, and I haven't wanted to give it up even after moving across the world, but I'd love to have a vision as well as a game to share, so I'm hoping for some thoughts and ideas to pass on to the people I have interested in this game!

Thanks Everyone!
    "Treat them with honour, my Brothers. Not because they will bring us victory this day, but because their fate will one day be ours."
    -Astorath the Grim
  • 1) Where is 9th Age now?
    Geographically, T9A is a thing for someone in more than half of the countries in the world.
    see map in The third year of T9A in review.
    Sure, it is concentrated in western Europe, the USA and Australia, but certainly not limited to there.

About being a game for WH veterans, it is not exclusive. 10% of those who replied to the Warmachine Base poll discovered the Hobby after the End Times was released.

Plenty of ideas and new developments.
    Main stream is to complete the missing Full AB, of course.
    Besides, there will be more and more various games, the link with T9A being the background.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
  • New

1) Where is 9th Age now?

I can happily say that T9A is one of the big players in my community in the Canadian prairies. AoS (particularly Shadespire) and 40K (possibly including Kill Team) seem to round out our Big Three, though I wouldn't know which is the biggest. Bolt Action does have a presence in at least one of the FLGS that I frequent. LOTR has a tiny but energetic group and I follow mostly silent local Frostgrave, Flames of War, and Mantic groups on facebook. I always expect to see more Warmachine, Infinity, Malifaux, and X-Wing than I do, but I have no interest so it may just be willful ignorance on my part.

To be honest, I don't know. I can say lots of things about the what -- what it is, what it has achieved, what it has left to achieve in order to complete the 2.0 roll out -- but not nearly so much about the where. My perspective is far too limited to see the Big Picture. Is it about number of players? Presence in stores? Size of tournaments? Model support from vendors? It's hard for me to even imagine what a Big Picture for a project like this one might look like.

The most exciting upcoming things for me are, in rough order:

1) The Quickstarter Release, and accompanying model support from companies like TMS
    2) T9A: Skirmish Campaigns (I'm a big fan of the design for things like Frostgrave, Rangers of Shadow Deep, and Kill Team)
    3) The Background Compendium
    4) Thinking ahead to version 3.0
  • New

I'm not much into the game or the popularity of it, but rather into the creative project (no behind-the-scenes knowledge to speak of). And I'd say we're on a sound course in that regard: T9A is a torch carrier for historically based classic fantasy, the successor of Warhammer Fantasy and Tolkien that is growing up to fill big boots left behind, and more importantly flesh out brave new frontiers.

Quality content will by and of itself attract people. We all started out playing T9A (or other wargames) with Warhammer Fantasy firmly in our heads, but T9A is more and more finding its own voice and gaining the power to draw people in by captivating them with background and images. This is a crucial part of the puzzle, the soul of any fantasy wargame.

Cheers

The post was edited 1 time, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

• New

I believe the 'lack' of popularity is due to no marketing. No ones fault.

T9A is more popular than lots of games you have to pay for already, but I think it could be huge if we could somehow let everyone know that is isn't just '8th Edition Fantasy' but is an actual playtested, rock solid set of rules.

Most people have never played a wargame with almost balanced rules. I never had until I played T9A. They really don't understand what they are missing.
  • New

draeth187 wrote:

I believe the 'lack' of popularity is due to no marketing. No ones fault.

T9A is more popular than lots of games you have to pay for already, but I think it could be huge if we could somehow let everyone know that is isn't just '8th Edition Fantasy' but is an actual playtested, rock solid set of rules.

Most people have never played a wargame with almost balanced rules. I never had until I played T9A. They really don't understand what they are missing.
    You have to keep in mind that "8th edition but better rules" would never set the world on fire. Like it or not GW kiled WHFB because of sales. And while better rules would improve sales, that was not the core problem.

T9A will always be a niche game, which is fine. We should play it, enjoy it, introduce other people to it, and keep it alive. But we shouldn't fool ourselves that some marketing would turn it into one of the top games on the market.
  • New

I mean, there's still a lot to do in catching up with where WHFB was. We currently have two army books, where Warhammer had 18 main ones, plus Supplements and White Dwarf.
    Sie beobachtet
    Ewig kennen ihre schwarzen Augen die Ewigkeit
    Uralt, zeitlos, belauert Nukuja die Äonen, Zeuge des ersten Erwachens und des letzten Verhängnisses
    Ihr Wissen schlummert wie ein endloser Ozean
    Unsere Göttin, allumfassend, von der Heuschrecke bis zur Eule
    Ihr mächtiger Schlaf erschüttert das Erdgestein, Ihre Wacht entfacht die Sterne
    Sie regt die Gläubigen an zu warten, die wahre Lauterkeit der Geduld, und Ihr beizuwohnen während…
    Sie beobachtet
  • New

glocks4interns wrote:

T9A will always be a niche game, which is fine. We should play it, enjoy it, introduce other people to it, and keep it alive. But we shouldn't fool ourselves that some marketing would turn it into one of the top games on the market.

i disagree with that.
    according to my plans, T9A is going to two places:
    into local stores, and on computer screens.
    i guess we'll all have to revise our statements, when that happens.
  • New

piteglio wrote:

glocks4interns wrote:

i disagree with that.
    according to my plans, T9A is going to two places:
    into local stores, and on computer screens.
    i guess we'll all have to revise our statements, when that happens.
    It being in stores and on the PC will not remove the niche status, which is fine. The war game market is very crowded, the PC game market doubly so. But good luck with both of these!
  • New

As a translator, I've always been confused by how GW always decided to NOT translate the name of the WH units into Japanese, by just transcribing the English names into Katakana.

So « Empire Spearmen », instead of finding some normal Japanese translation for the two words « Empire » and « Spearmen », were sold as « empaia supiimen ».
    I mean, that was before the big shift towards no translation of unit names whatsoever that we got towards the end of 8th Ed and then with AoS.

Apart from that, T9A is the first wargame to make it into West Africa, hugely thanks to my « cardboard and plastic card » version :)
    GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
    First T9A player in West Africa
  • New

Ghiznuk wrote:

decided to NOT translate the name of the WH units into Japanese, by just transcribing the English names into Katakana.

So « Empire Spearmen », instead of finding some normal Japanese translation for the two words « Empire » and « Spearmen », were sold as « empaia supiimen ».
    I mean, that was before the big shift towards no translation of unit names whatsoever that we got towards the end of 8th Ed and then with AoS.
    Really? They always did that? It was a huge outcry in the German-speaking community when they stopped translating trademarked stuff into German.

"Die Wood Elves sind Elfen, die im Wald leben..." indeed. (Or translated, "The Wood Elves are Elves that live in the Wood". Everything was written that way. Even the fluff. )
    Sie beobachtet
    Ewig kennen ihre schwarzen Augen die Ewigkeit
    Uralt, zeitlos, belauert Nukuja die Äonen, Zeuge des ersten Erwachens und des letzten Verhängnisses
    Ihr Wissen schlummert wie ein endloser Ozean
    Unsere Göttin, allumfassend, von der Heuschrecke bis zur Eule
    Ihr mächtiger Schlaf erschüttert das Erdgestein, Ihre Wacht entfacht die Sterne
    Sie regt die Gläubigen an zu warten, die wahre Lauterkeit der Geduld, und Ihr beizuwohnen während…
    Sie beobachtet