Why are there no Vermin followers of the Dark Gods?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Why are there no Vermin followers of the Dark Gods?

Editor's notes: This story, and some following ones which may be published later, were sent to the Eichtal historical society in a series of letters, which were signed by Andreas Sunnapher Ratzinger, (Hon. Prof. Hist., Lic. div., MgD, ordo gryphem), a scholar of Avrasian history from the village of Pyrmont. The first letter is said to be from the personal annals of one "Miles", who, despite his Avrasian name, seems to be a vermin general of some kind, though some of the sentences seem written in an entirely different hand than the main text.

Superbia

The campaign against Salaman Takash went astonishingly well indeed. Though we have not succeeded at our primary objectives of permanently destroying that abominable piece of stolen Avrasian engineering called the Steel Road, burning the entire city to the ground and salting the earth for a thousand years to come, we have displayed magnificient strategic adaptability and instead lured the infernal defenders out of their city and then led them to overstretch their supply lines in an ingenious series of rearguard holding actions and tactical retreats. Furthermore, by the tactically wise deployment of disposable troops, we have been able to form an adequate and highly detailed picture of the infernal war machine and their destructive capabilities, which will be invaluable in any future action against the now severely depleted defenders.
      Of course, in order to bring testament of this unique strategic opening back to the Senate at the greatest possible speed and enable to them to capitalize on it, I have been forced to travel light and do away with a lot of unnecessary ballast that would have slowed us down, such as our siege engines, supply train and junior officer corps. I also write this in my own hand, as my lictors and I decided that instead of carrying heavy food supplies we would simply consume our slaves, including my scribe. For maximum efficiency, my lictors then volunteered to lay down their own life as we crossed the Barren Mountains, further sustaining me and enabling me to march without rest for...

"You are of course aware that that gut wound your body guard gave you will fester and kill you before you make it within a hundred miles of Avras?"

There has been only one inconvenience in my journey. It seems that one of the Manes has attached itself to me. It shows itself as an Avrasian of magnificient size, its fur white as the snow, with the bloody skin of a lion draped across its shoulders. I remember well when it first appeared to me, bearing a flaming crown of gold on its head. "Fool!", said I, "You would tempt one such as I with a crown? I am a pious citizen of the Republic and we have neither kings nor crowns!" It then changed its adornment, the crown changing into a golden wreath of laurel.

"Even if you return as you are, they will cut off your tail, parade you naked, confiscate your estates. You have embarassed the senate, Dictator."

It makes hollow comments, trying to threaten or frighten me, but I know my duty to the senate and of course would never...

"You can stop trying now. You will not put false words in my mouth, I do not allow it. You will write down exactly what I said."

I could smell the sarcasm in its tone, the false sense of superiority. It would never understand how a true and worthy citizen of the republic...

"Of course, you could still return triumphant. Embrace the Morningstar and regain your pride. You have potential, little ratling, and we would give you an army that would make the world tremble, if you prove yourself worthy. They would all lie at your feet, the infernals and the senate both."

It would never understand that as a real citizen of Avras, I would not take pride in personal accomplishments, only in a duty to the state well fulfilled. The triumph may be given in the name of a general, but it is the triumph of the state and the victory celebrated is the victory of a state and army functioning as a well-oiled machine, not an individual general.

"Imagine it. Yourself, armored in a thousand golden scales, invulnerable and glorious as you bestride the streets of Salaman Takash, bring low their palaces with a gesture of your hand. Honour upon honour, they would offer you. They would name you Maximus, and Augustus. The would give you the Grass Crown."

Whatever power it could offer, it would of course pale compared to the power of a free and united society working together, hand in hand, for the glorious republican future.

"And what else do you have to look forward to, Dictator? Smell deeply. There is no one. You are alone. They are all dead. You are the last one. You killed them, because you wanted to survive. The Morningstar respects preserverance. Why not finish that path? You could be eternal and radiant, your name echoing through the ages, M. Gloriosus. Just put away that inane scribbling you are doing and take my hand."

It makes more of its offers. Of course, it is one of the blind and worthless spirits dedicated to the bloody gods of the countryside pagans. It knows nothing of the true glory that awaits the honoured dead who died in pursuit of their duties. I die honourably having done my duty and write this account for the senate, certain that when I stand before the Lares, I can claim with conviction that no Avrasi of noble blood has ever dishonoured his name by giving in to the temptations of the Manes. I speak the truth, for my heart is free of sin or false pride.

"Good. Now speak these words..."

“The touch of a sword handle is the deadliest poison known to man. It settles in, deeper than the bone, instantaneously. It is a deep curse that can never be lifted and will last you the rest of your days.”
      – Ryo-ten-Ryam
    • I suppose so! It is one of the dangers that when the skilled are too modest, their true worth may be overlooked by their superiors for a while.

I wonder what sin I should write about next. I mean, explain why we don't suffer of it.
      “The touch of a sword handle is the deadliest poison known to man. It settles in, deeper than the bone, instantaneously. It is a deep curse that can never be lifted and will last you the rest of your days.”
      – Ryo-ten-Ryam
    • Good point, I'll try.

Editor's note: The scholar Andreas Sunnapher Ratzinger, (Hon. Prof. Hist., Lic. div., MgD, ordo gryphem) has sent us a second missive soon after our publication of the first, which also included an apology that he could not, as we had inquired, join us in Eichtal for a symposium, as he was busy visiting his uncle in Zmayevatz. This one is based on a history tablet that Professor Ratzinger has unearthed personally in the third layer of Avras and has transcribed from us from the Avrasian shorthand it was written in.

Gula
      And on this day, Lucius Aelius Aurelius, Censor and Patrician, personally battled the great daemon Faucius Profundus, defeating him in philosophical debate. Thus were their arguments:

Aelius spoke: "Abomination! Face me! Though you have devoured one score and twenty of my slave soldiers, you have only shown your moral weakness!"
      Faucius spoke: "GRAAAARGH"
      Aelius spoke: "You may be chewing on three of my body slaves, but they will all gladly give their lives for the Republic! See how none of them flees to the door and instead they face you, ears and tails pridefully errect!"
      Faucius spoke: "RAAAAAWR!"
      Aelius: "You are a servant of gluttony, but in Avras, we each only take according to our needs! See this scribe who is being trampled under your feet. He is slender, but well-muscled as he has never eaten excessively in his life."
      Faucius spoke: "Ngh ngh ngh mmmslrp!"
      Aelius spoke: "And those, my bodyguards? They would be crushed again between your bulk and that wall a thousand times, knowing they die for a country where all are needs are met as long as we all know the virtues of frugality and temperance. Yes, I dare say, you will corrupt no proud citizens of Avras here today, daemon."

At that point, Faucius conceded the debate and his great form burst open and distributed itself over three city blocks, as he was unable to face the shame of defeat. And Aelius spoke his last words: "Thank the divine that that's over. You there, carry me to the Triclinium, I am feeling peckish. Roast that scribe's leg with some fish sauce. He was really quite exquisitely slender and well-muscled."
      – Ryo-ten-Ryam
    • Note from the Editor: Sadly, Ratzinger's third letter came to us mostly charred and burned He also apologizes for not being able to visit in person, stating that his expertise is urgently required at a site in Myra. From the remains we can guess the title:

Luxuria
      [Expurgated by Order of the Inquisition]
      – Ryo-ten-Ryam
    • Eldan wrote:

I have no intention to write about rat sex.
      There could be Daemons of Lust trying to seduce a mighty general of the Golden City. But all his passion and commitment serves the continuance of the Republic only. The only Lust he can feel is dedicated to his great Avrasian Ratwomen who supplies her nation with his scions. :D

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Or maybe something like:

'No ecstasy the demon tries to elicit from him is similar to the voluptuousness he feels at the thought of the big baths of the city. The most seductive women of all continents in an ornate decorated bathhouse and every single one is always ready to read his every wish from his lips'

:D

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages