FlyingScanian plays the Quickstarter (warning: image heavy)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• FlyingScanian plays the Quickstarter (warning: image heavy)

Finally had my first game. In the flesh, on the tabletop, with a local friend (@Ogrob).

First up, my Sonnstahler Landsknecht vs his Åsklanders with a suspiciously "throne-y" style

The Åsklander warband

I heard some muttering about them remembering. Didn't hear what they were remembering, though...

The Sonnstahlers, with flags waving in the wind

(Most of) the battlefield:

The Åsklander deployment

Warriors on the left (from this perspective), Huskarls with Chieftain in the middle, Wargs on the left. Mage is hiding in the forest.

Sonnstahler deployment

Cavalry on the right, Heavy Infantry in the middle with the general, Light Infantry (and wizard) to the left

Åsklanders have first turn, and advance

They also get first blood, with some well-aimed magic

That's one less infantryman.

The Sonnstahler respond by running the wizard up and hiding behind the building (my magic doesn't need line of sight, yo :D )

All for a grand total effect of nope, though. Neither magic nor shooting does diddely.

The Åsklander answer that by charging the Wargs into the Heavy infantry... only to embarrasingly loose

Sure, they kill more, but Sonnstahlers have ranks.

The Wargs then promptly run away... a grand distance of 4"

Of course, the Sonnstahler follow-up is only 3" X(

The infantry then, with a shout of "For Sunna!" drive away the oversized wolves and charge the Huskarls

Shame the promissed cavalry support failed, but they still manage to tie the combat

Of course, they're then neatly squeezed from the front and the flank, and, well...

Evaporate (the last two, including the general, then promptly run away 11")

And then they get a charge into the cavalry as well

Words fail me

Cavalry is less than effective with no momentum

And then promptly run away, only barely being faster than the footsoldiers

Meanwhile, the light infantry have wheeled around the house, and are finally in a position to do something again (magic has done approximately nothing other than a wound on the Wargs)

Horses are caught, butchered and presumably grilled

While the Huskarls gets out their javelins, throwing axes and stones for that pesky mage

Mostly stones, as it appears (thank Sunna for cover)

(Not shown: the three that actually hit... and promptly skewered the mage)

Mage: gone. Cavalry: barbecue. Heavy Infantry: dead or running for the hills. Light infantry: has a face full of Warg

Balls...

Excepth that the wargs are killed for surprisingly light damage in return

End result is still Åsklander victory, and given more rounds, it would probably have ended in a massacre, even if the General and the last heavy infantry did rally on the last turn (would probably have been killed by the warriors).

The glorious dead (suspiciously many black-and-yellow bodies, not nearly enough peltclad ones)

Not bad (well, very bad, from a strategic perspective, I oviously have much to learn, ut that's beside the point), was fun, and we were done in about 1,5 hours. Quite good, even, since neither of us had played it before (Ogrob had some warhammer experience, I had none whatsoever but a head for wargaming rules)
      Don't hoard the fluff. The fluff wants to be free!

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here

The post was edited 1 time, last by FlyingScanian ().

• And since the first game was so fast, we had time for another. Since @Ogrob has a significant collection, he decided to change up armies to a more cavalry one (apparently the bad performance of mine didn't dishearten him).

My warband's still the same Sonnstahlers

And now, we have the Kingdom of Equitaine

(still with that suspiciously northern bent)

Deployment, on the same battlefield

Equitaine are now hiding the mage behind the forest (something about branches and horses)

Meanwhile, the Sonnstahlers have done a 180, with the light infantry on the right

(hopefully, they'll get to shoot some more this time)

Turn 1 and 2, everything pushes forward (Equitaine fail both their charges on Turn 2), nothing dies (not for lack of trying)

Turn 3, charge on the Heavy Infantry, who hold, and the Sonnstahl cavalry, who try to run away

Try being the imperative word... I'm not trying that again, that's for certain. (Yep, caught and butchered after a flee move of 3")

The heavy infantry is trounced and fall back, but rally again, while the light infantry pivots and takes aim

Shooting and magic is so-so, only a single Knight of the Realm dies before they once more charge the heavy infantry

... the knights then proceed to tie the combat. Of course, next turn, the infantry is soundly beaten into the mud

But not one, but two of the Grail Knights fall to a scorching salvo (the one time it deserved the term salvo, and not "light poke" or "fizzle")

The grails run away ("what's this, they fight back? the peasants back home never do that!"), but manage to rally before they run of for good

The light infantry try for a sneaky capture of the objective, but are too slow (and magic too ineffective and unreliable, a running theme), and get caught.

The end results

No picture of the glorious dead, but about half the horsies, and everyone of the yellow-and-blacks this time...

In total, we managed two games in 3 hours, and I wasn't even as knackered as expected afterwards. And even if I was defeated both times, it was fun

(Next time, I'll bring something tougher)

A local blog of sorts for what I'm modelling, converting and painting that's related to 9th age can be found here

The post was edited 1 time, last by FlyingScanian ().

• Great work!

Got any specific feedback about the QS book and how we've worded things? We want the book to be approachable - especially for people new to the hobby.

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• Not new to the hobby, as Scanian mentioned, but it's been a while since I played this style of the game. Main thing that stood out to me was that it was counter-intuitive to have the rules for resolving combat outcomes before the rules for doing damage.

Looking at the index, I think I get why it is the way it is, but it was strange to know how to score hits before knowing how to resolve them.

Overall though, I'm happy with the rules. Fairly straight-forward, quick to play. Armies seemed reasonably balanced.
    • Yeah, if you want input on how to make the rulebook aproachable (for new folks or not), I am the last one you should ask. I read rules for fun and relaxation, I generally get them in one or two read-throughs, and I considered the "full" FB T9A rulebook "light and interresting reading"... Give me 10 more games, and I will be quoting rules verbatim.

• Ogrob wrote:

Not new to the hobby, as Scanian mentioned, but it's been a while since I played this style of the game. Main thing that stood out to me was that it was counter-intuitive to have the rules for resolving combat outcomes before the rules for doing damage.

Looking at the index, I think I get why it is the way it is, but it was strange to know how to score hits before knowing how to resolve them.

Overall though, I'm happy with the rules. Fairly straight-forward, quick to play. Armies seemed reasonably balanced.
      by all means, have a read through. We need fresh eyes!

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• subscribed - hoping to see more and more of these!

agreed with Ogrob: it is annoying to read what happens when many soldiers die, if you haven't read how you kill them in the first place.
      i think the QS will have to keep the current order ("i get why it is the way it is"), but i have ideas for something that'll make the learning curve easier. more news on this topic in a month or two.

thanks for all the feedback - if you can take the time to fill this one-page questionnaire and help us balance the armies, we'd be most grateful.
      but i guess the main thing was the feeling, that "oh, this was nicer (and faster) than expected, i want (and can) play another one". topped with the realisation that in your previous collection you have all the models you need to even play with a different army. i don't know if i was hoping for anything different from this. thank you guys : )

click the logo and reach the KickStarter page!
    • Could be interesting to follow the new structure of the full BRB, that presents Attacks in the very first chapters of the book ?

Thanks for sharing pics !

Can't believe that this was only your first game haha but yeah, looking at what happened, it seems quite obvious ;)
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • I think the current structure is okay as it fits the order of action.
      While hitting is different in the different phases, wounding and armour saves are the same in every phase.
      Actually, in the end of the chapters there is a reference to the Attacks and Damage chapter, BUT indeed we could stress this better and explain shortly why there is one chapter (Attacks and Damage) which continues three other chapters (Magic, Shooting, Melee).

Quick Starter Team

Playtester

• I should post an army showcase soon. I've been building these for a couple of years for a number of different games. Acctually ended up with Åskländers just because they happen to be on 25mm bases. Thematically decent of course with the whole northern thing, and dire wolves.

We played another game yesterday, my Åsklanders against Scanian's Dwarves. I think he has photos and might post a report.
    • Ogrob wrote:

I should post an army showcase soon. I've been building these for a couple of years for a number of different games. Acctually ended up with Åskländers just because they happen to be on 25mm bases. Thematically decent of course with the whole northern thing, and dire wolves.

We played another game yesterday, my Åsklanders against Scanian's Dwarves. I think he has photos and might post a report.
      You absolutely should post a showcase, aye :)

Report's coming, as soon as I have the time.

• Found the time, so here's another report.

As @Ogrob said, we had another game, Åsklanders aganst Dwarven Holds

My dwarves (obviously not with the right equipment, but we can work with it, even if spears and spears are not quite the same)

@Ogrob used the same Åsklanders as seen in the first post.

The table (yay, new table... since we're at the local club this time)

Åsklander deployment, with a sneaky mage hiding behind the tower and general with the Åsklander warriors

Dwarven deployment, in a nice battleline with the general with the Clan Warriors

Åsklanders begin by moving up

The Wargs significantly faster on the flank...

I decide to try something silly and charge the Wargs when needing an 11 (it would have been awesome if it worked... but I rolled a 3)

The rest of the dwarves move up, in an attempt at supporting each other

And the Clan Marksmen manage to fell some Åsklanders. Joy, shooting that's working

Of course, because I did a silly (and stupid), they're then charged by the wargs

In hindsight, I should have kept them back a bit, and just advanced with the Clan Warriors to provide some protection.

Three crossbowdwarves are nommend, and not even a scratch on the Wargs, but at least the stout dwarves stay

I consider flankcharging the Wargs with the Greybeards, but I'm worried by a potential counter-flank-charge by the Huskarls. Instead, I just advance up and count on the marksmen to die like dwarves (slowly and leaving some deep cuts behind). The Clan warriors turn around and points towards the Asklanders

In hindsight, I should have flankcharged and tried to break the wargs. Had it succeeded, I could then have righted the Greybeards again.

Asklanders charge the clansmen (how hard can they be), while Huskarls and Greybeards start eyeing each other

Quick off the cuff maths: Huskarls have throwing weapons, they will hit the dwarves just as well at range as in melee, will not be hit back when "shooting", and will get more dice since all three ranks can throw 2 shots each, instead of only two ranks attacking with attack each... And they will still get to strike back before the dwarves if charged.

... so 5 Greybeards fall to throwing axes

(And more marksdwarves are nommed, still with no scratch on the wargs)

As for the Asklanders, the answer to the question of how hard clan warriors with great weapons can be, is apparently "very". 9 swinging clan warriors hit 8 times, and kill 7, with the Thane bagging one... and no casualties back either.

The Asklanders, and their general, is promptly run over by the dwarven trick of going for the kneecaps

(And another two marksdwarves die trying to give the wargs indigestion... still sticking to it, though)

Time to finish those Huskarls with a combined charge.

This time, dwarven legs prove insufficient, and the cowards get away

(Oh, and the marksdwarves are now out. Still no scratch on the wargs X( )

The huskarls rally and throw their axes, while the wargs tries on a chewier target, in the shape of greybeard backsides

Significantly chewier, and just as stubborn as the marksdwarves

My last turn, and it's finally time to end these dwarf-killing wargs in a true sandwich fashion (in part because they're within 6" of the center)

The wargs die, break and are promptly run down by the Greybeards (ha, who's got short legs now!!), who then continue on into the huskarls

Game ends, the clan warriors are the only unit within 6" of the center. Dwarves (and I) win!

Lessons to learn: Huskarls are evil and should be killed at first opportunity, and clan warriors give no fluffs (it helps that they managed to hit something like 23/27 attacks, mostly wounding on 2+).

I should probably try to get some more games in before making too rash a decision, but sanctified feces, I think I'm in love with dwarves... I just need to wait for Northstar to release their heavy dwarf infantry (and the BG team to tell us how to write stuff on our dwarves, the "official" way...)