It's time for Arctica !

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

    Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

    And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

    • Theokrit wrote:

      cool. May i then propose an event?

      I propose that:
      A daemon of envy heard of the sword that symbolizes the alliance between Ukray and the ice elves. As is in his nature, he tried to steal the sword, maybe succeded, maybe even killed the one that held it last and retreatet to a cave near a frozen lake on askland territory.

      So maybe it would be a diplomatic problem to send armies to get it back. Maybe its more a job for a selected few heroes, but that raises the possibility that someone dies on the job.

      How did you get it back? did some tragic hero die on this day? What implications did this event have on your alliance? did it get weakened or even stronger? Did you anger the asklanders? Did someone else use this moment of weakness? How dis you call this lake after the event?


      I hope im allowed to propose this. If not, just ignore it.
      Have you thought about a name for a pleasure daemon? If so, can you give it to me for fluffing?
      I gave you below the story that inspired me.
      Everyone can help me create this story.
      What do you think about your idea?
      Does placing this surviving demon of the 8th age in the volcano suit you?

      "And : @Theokrit idea of inventing a story that would involve a lord of the dark god or a demon and our different people.

      His story turn around the alliance of Ukray and ice elves. Here is what I imagined. This is a first idea and I would love to have yours.

      A Åsklander lord in the service of a demon wants to destroy the Tava Valassë to allow black magic to cover the world and gain power. He is allied with a lord draed elves who wants to appropriate the possession of the tree and have immense powers.

      They imagine a plan to break the alliance between Ukray and ice elves and create wars. The symbol of the alliance pact between the two nations are two swords. To break this pact, one of the two sides must attack and steal the sword or return it to the other.
      A dread elf, disguised as an ice elf, travels to the Ukrainian capital to kill the king of the day and steal his sword. He hides the sword in a hiding place that an Åsklander disguised as a ukrainian will take later.
      The dread elf is let kill and accuses ice elves.

      Ukray declares war to ice elves, joined by the dwarves. The Boreans elves attack Ukray.
      The ice elves, thanks to their prescient mage, know the truth but do not stop calming their ancient allies.

      Meanwhile, an army of Åsklanders, Giants of the mountains, and dread elves gathered for the war.

      When countries in wars realize it is too late, asklanders and elf dreads attack the land of ice elves and Ukray.

      The ice elves, Boreans elves, Ukray and the dwarves will fight together and fight the enemies.
      The sword will be found on the Åsklanders leader and delivered to Ukray.

      This event is called the Great Arctic War or Great North War"
    • Sorry that i am not that active, to much work to do right now. I will try to answer a little bit.

      HKYUGOK wrote:

      Have you thought about a name for a pleasure daemon? If so, can you give it to me for fluffing?
      Now i am confused ^^ In my original proposition i wrote about a daemon of envy. But i envisioned a daemon of sloth behind it all. Kinda like a mastermind, but his plan takes ages because he doesnt like to be rushed.
      To Names of Daemons: I dont think a Daemon would give his true name because there is power in this (see Full army book page 73)
      Instead i would name them by the deeds they did and the names the other nations gave them.
      For this Daemon of Envy i was inspired by page 43 of the FAB --> The 'doppelgänger' or vardoger in Askland
      The Daemon of Sloth could maybe be called 'The waiting one' because the elves know of him, but cant decern his plans because they are too slowly unfolding. Or something like that.

      HKYUGOK wrote:

      Does placing this surviving demon of the 8th age in the volcano suit you?
      Volcano is a little too on the nose evil for my tastes (see Sauron from lord of the rings). I originally envisioned a frozen lake (but then that is Morgoth from the Silmarillion...)... but maybe i just want that, because it fits my own Daemon-Army :D
      So sure. He is waiting somewhere, watching his plans slowly unfold. Pulling a string or two once a decade.
    • Theokrit wrote:

      Sorry that i am not that active, to much work to do right now. I will try to answer a little bit.

      HKYUGOK wrote:

      Have you thought about a name for a pleasure daemon? If so, can you give it to me for fluffing?
      Now i am confused ^^ In my original proposition i wrote about a daemon of envy. But i envisioned a daemon of sloth behind it all. Kinda like a mastermind, but his plan takes ages because he doesnt like to be rushed.To Names of Daemons: I dont think a Daemon would give his true name because there is power in this (see Full army book page 73)
      Instead i would name them by the deeds they did and the names the other nations gave them.
      For this Daemon of Envy i was inspired by page 43 of the FAB --> The 'doppelgänger' or vardoger in Askland
      The Daemon of Sloth could maybe be called 'The waiting one' because the elves know of him, but cant decern his plans because they are too slowly unfolding. Or something like that.

      HKYUGOK wrote:

      Does placing this surviving demon of the 8th age in the volcano suit you?
      Volcano is a little too on the nose evil for my tastes (see Sauron from lord of the rings). I originally envisioned a frozen lake (but then that is Morgoth from the Silmarillion...)... but maybe i just want that, because it fits my own Daemon-Army :DSo sure. He is waiting somewhere, watching his plans slowly unfold. Pulling a string or two once a decade.
      I understand do not apologize. Thank you for answering me.
      Your ideas are very good.
      A demon of laziness, I like it better! This corresponds very well to the icy environment of the north. But suddenly if we exclude the volcano, where to place your lake? I see several places. To know that the Åsklanders must be able to go there but also to make alliance with dread elves.
      I see the little island under the volcano island, Askland or one of its islands, the North East in troll territory, or in the jotun mountains.

      We can call it "Den som venter" in norvégien (The waiting one).

      "because the elves know of him, but cant decern his plans because they are too slowly unfolding." excellent !

      The post was edited 2 times, last by HKYUGOK ().

    • Theokrit wrote:

      Den som venter is an excellent name.


      But suddenly if we exclude the volcano, where to place your lake?
      Why not both?de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mýrdalsjökull

      en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldera
      Yes! Now that everything is frozen in the north, it's a great idea!
      Sold!
      A frozen lake in the crater of the volcano for demon of laziness. He's name is "Den Som Venter" in Åsklander langage (norvégien). I like it !

      What do you think everyone?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by HKYUGOK ().

    • Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      Very evocative background story! Epic and magical, with some tones borrowed from the Silmarillion. Count me as a fan. I'll think it over some days and maybe then come with proposals, if any, for minor tweaks.

      The first thing that stood out to me: I think the northern Humans could be given a mention of seeking safety not only in the mountains with the Dwarves, but also on their own at eg. islands located outside what is today Åskland's coast, and in hill forts.

      Imagine a warlike Human presence being constant even amid all these ravages of Orcs & Goblins, Beast Herds and Vermin Swarms. With Human raiders prowling the shores, striking inland and from to time risking it by establishing new colonies in a very dangerous milieu.

      Central Asia, Scandinavia and Arabia (with their different harsh lands and climates) were for long ages the wombs of nations in Eurasia, with a long stream of martial tribes emerging from these regions and spilling out into other lands.

      As such I think some active and aggressive tribal Human assertiveness is an ingredient needed in the north, even during the most perilous of Ages. Seeking refuge, certainly: But also roaming about, attacking, defending, migrating, settling and being wiped out locally in a maelstrom of tribal violence where Humans participated all the time, even when at their most marginalized.

      So a hint of this in the over-arcing history, with some northern Humans explictly seeking shelter on their own (while others found it with the Dwarves in the mountains), would do well.

      We could also have a few waves of both northern Orcs & Goblins and Humans emerging on the unsuspecting southern lands from across the sea.

      Some initial input. At any rate, great work! :)
      It is very reminiscent of the trees of Valinor and even the Noldor elve's crossing over the ice shelf to reach middle earth. I love it for this reason.
    • Genlemen, time for art pool inventory in the frozen north, as we stand at the moment. Might be useful for a more polished presentation later on.

      First, primary art pool:





      And then secondary art pool, meaning artworks kindly donated by various artists under non-profit terms (can only be used for Homebrew):










      I've been given permisson by the kind master Holtzman to pick personal artworks of his for non-profit T9A duty, so this may grow in due time. He has a fantastic gallery and style.










      The post was edited 4 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      Genlemen, time for art pool inventory in the frozen north, as we stand at the moment. Might be useful for a more polished presentation later on.

      First, primary art pool:












      And then secondary art pool, meaning artworks kindly donated by various artists under non-profit terms (can only be used for Homebrew):






      Edit




      I've been given permisson by the kind master Holtzman to pick personal artworks of his for non-profit T9A duty, so this may grow in due time. He has a fantastic gallery and style.
















      Edit





      Yes you're right, thanks for the drawings.
      Actually later it will be useful to present our work.

      I invite you all to publish a summary of your fluff and your list of figures in your army book or project (characters, basic troops, special, rare, war beast ...). If you break an image that fits your army you can put it as well if you know how to draw.
      We will discuss all of this together. And once all harvested we can make a pdf summarizing the north.
      It's going to take a long time.

      In this pdf there will be :
      - the story of the North and Tava Valassë I published a few days ago. Do not forget to submit the history of your army to integrate it in this story.
      - the summary of the fluff of all the armies presented in the North Pole.
      - one or more images for each of his armies.

      Does this suit everyone?
    • Good drive, @HKYUGOK!

      I'd like to add that the Karuit Polar Dwarves remain an open question. Check this out. ;)

      Display Spoiler
      Here we have a possible sidetrack of development for our Polar Dwarves: They remain an open question.

      When I first shared this Arctic Dwarven Holds concept on Chaos Dwarfs Online, Uther the unhinged was fired up with visions of Infernal Dwarves in the cold north:

      Uther the unhinged wrote:

      "Ooooh can we have polar bears with tusks, pleeeeese!

      .........and ice golems......giant scary walrus ice golems........ and penguins (I know they are southern hemisphere, but I like them), giant penguins er just because. Tiny hairy snotling slaves riding giant artic foxes as scouts, messengers, cleaners, cooks and food if it gets too cold. Sleds pulled by white wolves (with bony spikes all over it). More penguins. I think I should go to work before I get too excited."

      Now there seem to be a slight chance that Uther's unhinged vision may come to life! See the comment of @saint_barbara beneath DracarysDrekkar7's Inuit Dwarf concept art (my emboldening):

      saint_barbara wrote:

      If we use it for the ID, I'll try to remember to thank all the "external contributors". If not - remind me :P

      Which encouraged this two-part evocative brainstorming on Uther's part. We hadn't yet named the Polar Dwarves Karuits when I shared the concept on CDO, so he made up his own name (and a good one I'd like to add) which I'd very much like to share for T9A considerations. We could talk about the DH Polar Dwarf concept as Karuit, and the likewise ID concept as Khinqwit. Well worth the read, regardless of whether you subscribe to the idea or not:

      Uther the unhinged wrote:

      I’d only just finished this fluff for the polar ones.

      The Khinqwit dwarves of the far north claim to be the oldest of the free races. They are certainly one of the hardest. They call themselves ‘the people’ and regard all others as enemies and slave races. Their myths go back to a time long before the sky hammer, hen their saurian slavemasters first took them to the mountains of the north to toil for the metals and gems they coveted. Stories tell of repeated slave breaks. How bands of desperate dwarves would force or tunnel their way to freedom. How the saurians would hunt them down, drag them back and butcher them in front of their comrades.

      The myths also speak of Hakhawazharr of the Hard Path. Their first leader and founder of their race. They tell of his great escape with a large part of his people. They tell of how he planned it for mid winter when the saurians would be at their most sluggish. Hakhawazharr led his people north hoping to escape the pursuit. He chose the highest passes, the coldest tracks, the hardest paths.

      The saurians disabled by the cold sent their hunters, trusted slaves trained in the recapture and execution of escapees. Bartered by the weather, harried by the hunters Hakhawazharr led his people ever northward, seeking for the Shackleless Land. The Shackeless Land where they would be free. The Shackleless Land where their enemies would not, could not follow. The Shackleless Land where only the hardiest, only the hardest could survive.

      Hakhawazharr was never to see his promised land. He died saving his people and avenging his wife, squeezing the life from the last of the hunting packs that had followed them. In his passing he urged them ever northwards and taught them the mantra of trust:


      Trust not the Lizard, he will enslave you.
      Trust not the Elf, he will ensnare you.
      Trust not the Green of Skin he will savage you.
      Trust not the Manning, he will betray you.
      Trust not your weakling brethren, they will seek to profit from you.
      Trust only in the people, they will save you.


      The people of Hakhawazharr took his words as stone and turned their faces from the sun. Northwards they went till they reached the Shackleless Land of ice and snow where no Lizard could and no Hunter would follow them. Into the white desert they went trusting to the words of Hakhawazharr. Builders that they were they cut blocks from the ice and snow and huddled inside whilst hunters searched for sustenance in that white desert. Yet even with the meagre food they would have perished were it not for the first Shaman, Azthrogeh. It was he who went into the blizzard that night. He went to sacrifice himself. He went so there would be more food for the others. He went to find peace. He found fire! None know the truth of it. Or none will tell, for it is one of the great mysteries of ‘the people’. Yet it is said that Azthrogeh found the ‘Eternal Flame’, and that this entity that the people revere as a god taught Azthrogeh the secrets of sorcery so he might bring warmth to ‘the people’s side they might live.

      Little is known of the religion of the Khinqwit, for it is taboo to write the truths down and punishable by death to reveal them to others. That they worship fire in some form is known. Yet unlike other races they do not use it in warfare. Fire is regarded as a sacred thing and to knowingly extinguish a flame is a great sin. That they have magics to create and maintain fire is also known but they would never ‘bless’ an enemy by bestowing this gift upon them. That their god requires blood is also known only too well by those unfortunates who have the misfortune to fall into their grasp, The north is a hard place and it breeds a hard people. Weakness is death, pity is weakness, only the strong survive up there.


      ____________________________________


      By reason of their geographical position and self imposed isolation the Khinqwit dwarves of the North developed separately from others of their kin. This and the sheer lack of mineral resources mean their technological level is far behind most races. This has led many to foolishly and indeed fatally underestimate them. Their animal skin clothes serve not only to keep them warm but provide remarkable protection. This is thought to come from the many small symbol carved ivory and bone charms stitched carefully into them. These are thought to provide both increased warmth but also magical protection. Similarly the long ivory knives and short bone spears should by all rights shatter against the armour of more modern cultures. Yet just as water can be hard as iron when frozen so these symbol carved weapons have a strength and sharpness well beyond that which they should. Woe betide the foe who comes across one of their leaders with bartered or stolen metal weapons! These are bedecked with charms and symbols rendering them truly terrifying in combat. Many Khinqwit carry short bows of surprising power. These symbol carved bone and sinew creations fire barbed shafts of bone with deadly accuracy over short distances. Worse still the tips are coated with some unknown poison which chills the blood of the victim. This will often kill smaller victims with just a scratch and several hits will slow even the great giant walruses that frequent the icy shores.

      These ‘backward’ dwarves have been forced to find other ways than technology to survive and as such are possibly the most accomplished of all their kin in the mtstic arts. Each group of warriors or hunters will contain a shamatheh, a lesser shaman. These shamatheh draw on the combined power of the charms in the group to weave a storm of ice and snow round them to hide them from missiles and chill their enemies. With enough warriors gathered together the shamatheh can direct blasts of icy shards at their enemies. The full shamen, the shamanatheh can whip up blinding snows or devastating ice storms, where lumps of ice as big as a helmet can crash to the ground pulverise their enemies.

      However the greatest weapon of the Khinqwit is their ferocity. Warriors have been known to fight on with horrific wounds driven by a frenzy of hate.


      Most contact with the Khinqwit is by the few hardy traders that travel to the edge of the Shackleless land. There they will barter metal goods for the ivory and skins the Khinqwit hunters bring. Few ever see the scattered settlements of the Khinqwit that dot the ice. Yet stories abound of great settlements far to the north of great ice carved walls and terrible rituals. Few scholars credit these wild tales. How could that desolate waste support a large population? They are only a few scattered tribes, they say. But spend time in the north among the people’s who live close to the ice and you will hear tales. Tales of the darkest winters, when the wind blows from the north and the trees burst with cold. Tales of Khinqwit marching in dreadful silence. Led by Shamanatheh atop huge tusked white bears. Tales of hunting packs of great white wolves. Tales of Khwinqqigo. Terrifying creatures of snow ice and hate. Khwinqwigo, said to be the daemonic souls of Khinqwit driven to cannibalism in life called back to serve the shamanatheh. You will hear the names of settlements that were thriving before the winter snows cut them off and were found in Spring shattered empty shells, lifeless and silent. It is a tribute demanded by their god the eternal flame some say. There is nothing to be done. It is just the way of things. Anyway it is only in the coldest of winters......


      It seems there are mysteries up there in the cold, dark north... :D


      While trading with outsiders for ivory and other wares of the frigid north is a given, it's up for grabs whether they will be uncorrupted Dwarven Holds people as originally envisioned, or Infernal Dwarves on ice. If in doubt, we could keep the Polar Dwarves mysterious to the outside world and mainly touch on their trade relations and conflicts in a not too detailed manner.

      I'll have to dive into sculpting a lot in the coming weeks and months. Might be more out of the loop, though I hope to join brainstorming again in due time, however briefly. :)

      Best of luck, and let the ideas and cooperative homebrew developments flow!
    • New

      I'm just passing along feedback and ideas up and down, left and right, wherever it's of interest and relevant. If it's on the forum or gallery, it's in the open and thus fair game, not confidential stuff. :D

      Trying to harvest as many concept ideas from as many persons as possible, whether or not they're into T9A or not. The beauty of having a historically based fantasy setting is that you only need to say e.g. "How about an Inuit Dwarf?" and an artist or background brainstormer who knows little of the setting but has learning and creativity loaded will come up with something which easily can work for such a generically founded setting. Then it will be up for T9A developers or homebrewers to fit amassed ideas in a polished and setting-consistent manner for the end product. Uther on CDO, for example, is into AoS together with his kids, but he has kept up with my updates of new culture concepts for T9A, and has some wacky, neat ideas to share (he and I share the taste for this blank slate opportunity for worldbuilding that has arisen with the end of WHFB; check out his epic AoS creation myth for his Dawi Zharr as an example).

      I'm trawling widely for creativity.

      Cheers!

      The post was edited 5 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

    • New

      Karak Norn Clansman wrote:

      Good drive, @HKYUGOK!

      I'd like to add that the Karuit Polar Dwarves remain an open question. Check this out. ;)

      Display Spoiler
      Here we have a possible sidetrack of development for our Polar Dwarves: They remain an open question.

      When I first shared this Arctic Dwarven Holds concept on Chaos Dwarfs Online, Uther the unhinged was fired up with visions of Infernal Dwarves in the cold north:

      Uther the unhinged wrote:

      "Ooooh can we have polar bears with tusks, pleeeeese!

      .........and ice golems......giant scary walrus ice golems........ and penguins (I know they are southern hemisphere, but I like them), giant penguins er just because. Tiny hairy snotling slaves riding giant artic foxes as scouts, messengers, cleaners, cooks and food if it gets too cold. Sleds pulled by white wolves (with bony spikes all over it). More penguins. I think I should go to work before I get too excited."
      Now there seem to be a slight chance that Uther's unhinged vision may come to life! See the comment of @saint_barbara beneath DracarysDrekkar7's Inuit Dwarf concept art (my emboldening):

      saint_barbara wrote:

      If we use it for the ID, I'll try to remember to thank all the "external contributors". If not - remind me :P
      Which encouraged this two-part evocative brainstorming on Uther's part. We hadn't yet named the Polar Dwarves Karuits when I shared the concept on CDO, so he made up his own name (and a good one I'd like to add) which I'd very much like to share for T9A considerations. We could talk about the DH Polar Dwarf concept as Karuit, and the likewise ID concept as Khinqwit. Well worth the read, regardless of whether you subscribe to the idea or not:

      Uther the unhinged wrote:

      I’d only just finished this fluff for the polar ones.

      The Khinqwit dwarves of the far north claim to be the oldest of the free races. They are certainly one of the hardest. They call themselves ‘the people’ and regard all others as enemies and slave races. Their myths go back to a time long before the sky hammer, hen their saurian slavemasters first took them to the mountains of the north to toil for the metals and gems they coveted. Stories tell of repeated slave breaks. How bands of desperate dwarves would force or tunnel their way to freedom. How the saurians would hunt them down, drag them back and butcher them in front of their comrades.

      The myths also speak of Hakhawazharr of the Hard Path. Their first leader and founder of their race. They tell of his great escape with a large part of his people. They tell of how he planned it for mid winter when the saurians would be at their most sluggish. Hakhawazharr led his people north hoping to escape the pursuit. He chose the highest passes, the coldest tracks, the hardest paths.

      The saurians disabled by the cold sent their hunters, trusted slaves trained in the recapture and execution of escapees. Bartered by the weather, harried by the hunters Hakhawazharr led his people ever northward, seeking for the Shackleless Land. The Shackeless Land where they would be free. The Shackleless Land where their enemies would not, could not follow. The Shackleless Land where only the hardiest, only the hardest could survive.

      Hakhawazharr was never to see his promised land. He died saving his people and avenging his wife, squeezing the life from the last of the hunting packs that had followed them. In his passing he urged them ever northwards and taught them the mantra of trust:


      Trust not the Lizard, he will enslave you.
      Trust not the Elf, he will ensnare you.
      Trust not the Green of Skin he will savage you.
      Trust not the Manning, he will betray you.
      Trust not your weakling brethren, they will seek to profit from you.
      Trust only in the people, they will save you.


      The people of Hakhawazharr took his words as stone and turned their faces from the sun. Northwards they went till they reached the Shackleless Land of ice and snow where no Lizard could and no Hunter would follow them. Into the white desert they went trusting to the words of Hakhawazharr. Builders that they were they cut blocks from the ice and snow and huddled inside whilst hunters searched for sustenance in that white desert. Yet even with the meagre food they would have perished were it not for the first Shaman, Azthrogeh. It was he who went into the blizzard that night. He went to sacrifice himself. He went so there would be more food for the others. He went to find peace. He found fire! None know the truth of it. Or none will tell, for it is one of the great mysteries of ‘the people’. Yet it is said that Azthrogeh found the ‘Eternal Flame’, and that this entity that the people revere as a god taught Azthrogeh the secrets of sorcery so he might bring warmth to ‘the people’s side they might live.

      Little is known of the religion of the Khinqwit, for it is taboo to write the truths down and punishable by death to reveal them to others. That they worship fire in some form is known. Yet unlike other races they do not use it in warfare. Fire is regarded as a sacred thing and to knowingly extinguish a flame is a great sin. That they have magics to create and maintain fire is also known but they would never ‘bless’ an enemy by bestowing this gift upon them. That their god requires blood is also known only too well by those unfortunates who have the misfortune to fall into their grasp, The north is a hard place and it breeds a hard people. Weakness is death, pity is weakness, only the strong survive up there.


      ____________________________________


      By reason of their geographical position and self imposed isolation the Khinqwit dwarves of the North developed separately from others of their kin. This and the sheer lack of mineral resources mean their technological level is far behind most races. This has led many to foolishly and indeed fatally underestimate them. Their animal skin clothes serve not only to keep them warm but provide remarkable protection. This is thought to come from the many small symbol carved ivory and bone charms stitched carefully into them. These are thought to provide both increased warmth but also magical protection. Similarly the long ivory knives and short bone spears should by all rights shatter against the armour of more modern cultures. Yet just as water can be hard as iron when frozen so these symbol carved weapons have a strength and sharpness well beyond that which they should. Woe betide the foe who comes across one of their leaders with bartered or stolen metal weapons! These are bedecked with charms and symbols rendering them truly terrifying in combat. Many Khinqwit carry short bows of surprising power. These symbol carved bone and sinew creations fire barbed shafts of bone with deadly accuracy over short distances. Worse still the tips are coated with some unknown poison which chills the blood of the victim. This will often kill smaller victims with just a scratch and several hits will slow even the great giant walruses that frequent the icy shores.

      These ‘backward’ dwarves have been forced to find other ways than technology to survive and as such are possibly the most accomplished of all their kin in the mtstic arts. Each group of warriors or hunters will contain a shamatheh, a lesser shaman. These shamatheh draw on the combined power of the charms in the group to weave a storm of ice and snow round them to hide them from missiles and chill their enemies. With enough warriors gathered together the shamatheh can direct blasts of icy shards at their enemies. The full shamen, the shamanatheh can whip up blinding snows or devastating ice storms, where lumps of ice as big as a helmet can crash to the ground pulverise their enemies.

      However the greatest weapon of the Khinqwit is their ferocity. Warriors have been known to fight on with horrific wounds driven by a frenzy of hate.


      Most contact with the Khinqwit is by the few hardy traders that travel to the edge of the Shackleless land. There they will barter metal goods for the ivory and skins the Khinqwit hunters bring. Few ever see the scattered settlements of the Khinqwit that dot the ice. Yet stories abound of great settlements far to the north of great ice carved walls and terrible rituals. Few scholars credit these wild tales. How could that desolate waste support a large population? They are only a few scattered tribes, they say. But spend time in the north among the people’s who live close to the ice and you will hear tales. Tales of the darkest winters, when the wind blows from the north and the trees burst with cold. Tales of Khinqwit marching in dreadful silence. Led by Shamanatheh atop huge tusked white bears. Tales of hunting packs of great white wolves. Tales of Khwinqqigo. Terrifying creatures of snow ice and hate. Khwinqwigo, said to be the daemonic souls of Khinqwit driven to cannibalism in life called back to serve the shamanatheh. You will hear the names of settlements that were thriving before the winter snows cut them off and were found in Spring shattered empty shells, lifeless and silent. It is a tribute demanded by their god the eternal flame some say. There is nothing to be done. It is just the way of things. Anyway it is only in the coldest of winters......
      It seems there are mysteries up there in the cold, dark north... :D


      While trading with outsiders for ivory and other wares of the frigid north is a given, it's up for grabs whether they will be uncorrupted Dwarven Holds people as originally envisioned, or Infernal Dwarves on ice. If in doubt, we could keep the Polar Dwarves mysterious to the outside world and mainly touch on their trade relations and conflicts in a not too detailed manner.

      I'll have to dive into sculpting a lot in the coming weeks and months. Might be more out of the loop, though I hope to join brainstorming again in due time, however briefly. :)

      Best of luck, and let the ideas and cooperative homebrew developments flow!
      Khinqwit or Karuits ?
      The ideas are very good!
      This mysterious side is a good idea. The question of whether he is good or bad, I do not know what to answer. We can also have both.
      The troops are interesting, Golem and the mounted bear is class!
      In any case the story pleases me and we can integrate it into the description of this army.
      The only question that comes to me is about the climate.
      In the history that I published to you, in the early ages, I speak of a temperate or almost temperate climate in the north. Then the gods made the area very cold, Arctica, to protect Tava Valassë.
      In the story you just published, the dwarves flee the saurians and head north, which is described as already arctic. Can not we imagine that they first fled north of Silexia and that they also found themselves at the 7th age in the cold and the ice?

      About the Golem, I have one among the Ice Elves, but of a different nature.
      While the one described in the story of the Karuits is made of snow, ice and hate, that of the Ices Elves is made of magic ice and animated by the spirit of a dead elf.

      With @Ghiznuk, we have not yet released the Ice Elf Troops.
      I will describe an overview.
      My elves created the helcairina, a magic ice. It's hard like steel besides being magical. It is used to build weapons and armor. The sword offered to Ukray to seal the alliance is a sword of Helcairina. @Villon
      This magic ice allows magic attack and multiple injury 1d3. In armor this gives protection against magic in addition to the classic armor bonus.
      This magic ice is also used to create magic mounts and golems. They obviously have multiple injuries and magic defense. This magic ice is formidable.
      The ice guards are elves with heavy weapons in helcairina and armor in helcairina. In addition to the lightning rules they are terrible enemies. At the same time the ice elves protect the Tava Valassë, their mission is sacred.

      Cheers

      The post was edited 1 time, last by HKYUGOK ().

    • New

      @Karak Norn Clansman

      Here's an excerpt from my Ice Elves's fluff about Karuits.

      "The northern borders of the Kingdom possess indigenous populations of
      Karuits attached to the bright gods. The guardian statues discourage
      them from entering the land of the elves, however in case of invasion by
      these coasts, these dwarves serve as a shield, and sometimes even
      arrive alone, by their bravery, to repel the invaders. Actually taking
      the Karuits for incapable savages is a serious mistake. It is said that
      some rise of bears, while they also possess ice golems animated by
      anger. As long as they do not seek to cross the borders, the Ice Elves
      leave them alone, and they even sometimes help them against their dark
      cousins so that only those praying for light remain master of the Arctic
      ice. For even if they do not belong to the Elven kingdom, the Karuits
      greatly help by their mere presence to protect the Tava Valasë and
      Minhelci, the ice city, from the invasion by the ice floes."
    • New

      @HKYUGOK: Nice! As to arctic for their ancestors, we'll simply have to assume they migrated with the north pole to stay in the cold.

      Two new artworks of interest here, which we may use (also added to the art pool above):






      And of course these beauties by one of our own: