Velucian Republic (The Legions of 9th Age)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Velucian Republic (The Legions of 9th Age)

-----
      The caesar entered through the battered down gates of the castle. Smoke billowing from the gate house, his entourage made up of burly men clad in segmented plate and helmets with plums of dyed horse hair.

The city was conquered, same as many others in the Legions wake. The Fourth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Legions were lined up awaiting their Caesar in ernest of the combat. Slaves ran amongst the wreckage, pulling dead bodies off the streets and putting out fires.

"Fine day to be defeating the Empire. I dare say, whom owned this castle? And where is he now?"

A bloodied Senior Centurion stepped forward a beat and spoke with a commanding voice.
      "His name is Claus von Stella. He is held up in his keep. My men will have the front doors open for you when you arrive up the steps my Caesar!"

With a wide grin the Caesar motioned for his Praetorian guard forward. Towards the keep they went.
      -----

So I've been working on a Roman Legions style army for 9th age.

I proudly announce the; Velucian Republic!:

dropbox.com/s/7ekmnlla7gqhvux/Velucian%20Republic.docx?dl=0

Please give me as much feedback as possible. I really would appreciate it! As much as I attempted to balance it myself, please let me know of stuff that I might need to change.

The post was edited 4 times, last by BrykJagz ().

• Looks very much like what I was looking for to push the VS more into the Roman direction.

And since I've got a huge starterbox of Roman infantry, this is very interesting for me too!

Do you have some designers notes? Would be nice to know what aims you wanted to reach and why you decided to write a whole book instead of a supplement for the EoS for example. What army strenghts and army weaknisses did you implement and how? Why did you leave out the whole mythological section, just like hydras, manticors, giants, cyclops, pegasi, and so on? I know, most of it is part of greek mythology, but since the Romans adapted most of it...well... ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• New

Lich King wrote:

Looks very much like what I was looking for to push the VS more into the Roman direction.

And since I've got a huge starterbox of Roman infantry, this is very interesting for me too!

Do you have some designers notes? Would be nice to know what aims you wanted to reach and why you decided to write a whole book instead of a supplement for the EoS for example. What army strenghts and army weaknisses did you implement and how? Why did you leave out the whole mythological section, just like hydras, manticors, giants, cyclops, pegasi, and so on? I know, most of it is part of greek mythology, but since the Romans adapted most of it...well... ;)
      My take on it was that I wanted the army to feel less magical than most in the current 9th age world. They're like the ancient civilization that didn't implore an extensive amount of magic. They ran with highly professional and trained armies that knew how to fight without heavy use of monsters and such. Obviously in the 9th age world there is magic, and they're not strangers to it. Thats why the choices for Divination (basic school of magic imho for humans), Druidism (How Ancient pre-christian rome was pagan with druidic style principles), and Cosmology (Heavy use of the stars in most ancient roman scriptures and such).

As far as Designer notes. I see this army as being line infantry based, with short range shooting support. I'd love to see 2 units of Velites being taken and thrown in front of the Front Centuries, run up, shoot, and than shoot again and flee when the enemy charges. Run through their own to the rear and then rally to move to the flanks for some more harass. The front centuries as designed to look like the Hastati with shield, and then Principes with gladius and old style rounded scutum. All base units come with short spear (Hasta) thats used as a Hand Weapon with the simple FIER bonus. So it doesnt get the full effects of +1 AP and +2 AP when charged of the spear, sicne its much thinner and shorter, but still able to be well utilized by the trained romans. And the Rear Century is the trained Legionnaires of the force, they have the option to buy a smaller version of the scorpion.

The Strengths and Weaknesses of the army;
      Strong steadfast/stubborn infantry line.
      Global (yet dependant on the general) Discipline bubble.
      Literally all units in the army have short ranged shooting, along with most of them being able to shoot the enemy they charge.
      Most units are not vision blocked by friendly units during the shooting phase.
      Decent 1Ap or 2AP shooting.

Nothing with super high strength.
      Hardly any melee AP.
      Very pivotal General, keeping him alive is KEY.
      No high resistance units.
      Not a wide range of monsters.
      Most non-century units have little to no armor at all.

After reading all the rules, let me know what you think of all that!

Calisson wrote:

Why is the Consul among special troops, and not characters?
      Especially if the intent is for him to join troops.

He's not necessarily a character because he's not really in the army in roman lines. He's usually the Tribunal leader with more of a political view. The only time he would be in the army would be on Special occasions or during very important fights. He's got his guard and stand behind so that he's not in too much danger. He's got rules to ensure his unit doesnt get wrecked because if the Consul were in the army, the men would do EVERYTHING in their power to keep him alive. (I was toying with the idea of sacrificing models in the unit to instead not take HP off the consul. But I thought making the unit a bit more resilient would make more sense.)
    • New

So, after I read through your AB a few times, here is my feedback:

First of all the book as a whole feels quite balanced, maybe a bit underpowered but playtesting should show in the end. Additionaly it feels very good, the single parts fit to each other very well, it seems to represent a very low fantasy army which is quite scarce in the T9A universe till now.

Some points that could be discussed tough:

• Forward Orders units block Line of Sight for Sorcerors. Don't know if this was intended. Could be some kind of a drawback when using Velites as your Sorcerors might want to make use of magic missiles too. ;)
      • Sagitarii Levy seem to be underpowered/overcosted. Compare them to Peasent Bowman of KoE for example. They come with Weapon Aim 4+ on a Longbow and have the Flaming Attacks upgrade included with the choice to not make use of it. Could also be fixed by buffing the Composite Bows. My guess was to give them Str 4 AP 1 at Short Range.
      • Rear Century can become very expensive. Gladius, Praetor Pride and Plate Armour makes them cost 26 points/model without any Legion upgrade. Compare them to EoS Imperial Guard that comes with Str 4 and Plate Armour for 19 points only. I mean I would like to go for a unit of 30 Praetorians just for the look, but not for about 1000 points. :/
      • Whole army seems to shout: 'build a deathstar'! ;) Don't know if this was intended. Either go for more differenatiation between the several units (like not buy gladius, Praetor Pride, Plate Armour and Pilum on one unit at the same time) or more cross unit synergy instead of buying all those upgrades for one unit only (especially regarding the Legion upgrades)
      • How about the Rear Century becomes Bodyguard (General, Consul)? So you would be able to loose the Autoriative rule for the Consul. I'm not sure how you want this to be handled in game? With an additional Front Facing in the units rear it would mean you don't loose ranks, benefit from Parry and so on, but do you want to provide Line of Sight measured from your flank too? That's how it sounds to me and it could lead to many problems when you want to charge units, that are placed in your flank, but you can only do a single pivot of up to 90 degrees. An other point is that how I read it, you could also charge your flank into your opponents units what sounds crazy.
      • What is this Honour Guard? Holy Hell! 4 Strenght 5 Attacks per model? I want to field them as a unit and give a sh*t about the Consul! ;) :D
      • I would change the Ordered Charge rule of the Equites into something more usefull. I mean you have tons of anvils but nearly no hammer at all in your army composition. And Fear is too easy to counter nowadays. So many units or even whole armies are fearless...maybe Ordered Charge could be changed into something like 'The unit counts in their ranks twice when charging into the flank or the rear as long as it at least 5 models wide". With a maximum of 15 Equites with very low Armour it should force the opponent to shoot them to 4 models down before they charge. Otherwise they will make your opponents loose its ranks and so steadfast.
      • War Elefants fit on 50x50 bases easily. I would redesign them as being Monstrous Cavalry reducing their Attack value to 3 per model and stomp as well as impact hits to 2 per model. Devastating charge (Terror) might be a good addition too. The Four Legged rule makes them stomp chariots and so on too, don't know if this was intended. Otherwise you could change the rule text to 'gain Stomp (2)'.
      Just my two cents! ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• New

Well, the Avrasian Republic is a thing of the past.
      However, Monopatea resisted the VS invasion.

Owing to its impregnable fortress built on a rock in the sea along the coast just south of the capital,it is believed to be the only province of the ancient empire to have survived, at least in part, destruction
      at the hands of the Swarm. While it now relies on horsemen from the hills and other levies for its
      military security, there remains a small and secretive – but deadly – cadre of professional city guardians
      trained in the ancient ways. These traditions have been passed unbroken to new generations for
      thousands of years.
      — Entry for The Empire of Monopatea in The Chronology of Foreign Nations by Hudhaifa Uddin
      You could rename the faction "The Preserved Avrasian Empire of Monopatea" or something in that spirit.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • New

I'm sorry but really nobody even knows where Monopatea is. This is like the entry I hate the most in the whole army book. Because it sounds like something African but then turns out to be, who knows, some island ? Somewhere ? Where ? It's not on any map and no other background piece mentions it ever, only that little snippet, seemingly lost at the end of the BRB. It even looks like something copy-pasted by mistake from another universe ! Only « the Swarm » makes some sort of « proof » that it's part of the 9th Age, even though, frankly, it could be taken from StarCraft as well, since there's no other indication whatsoever.

What I'd rather like to see is the Avrasian Republic as part of a wider 4th Age project.
      We already thought about it with @Karak Norn Clansman when we discussed adapting the old Albion Army for making a kind of Celtic nation that would occupy Equitaine at the time before Equitaine. They could fight together against Avrasi, Orcs, Beast Herds, gunpowderless dwarves and so on.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • New

Well, you're right if you restrict your knowledge to the publicly released background.

In the internal, non-disclosed background, Monopatea is shown on some maps near the "Broken Isles" archipelago, south of Avras. Also, there is an internal wiki about it, confirming its location south of Avras. Not very accurate, admittedly.

The RL equivalent would be Crete, which was conquered by the Ottomans only in 1645, two centuries after the fall of Constantinople (1453).

In any case, the choice is up to @BrykJagz to adapt his AB
      - to the 4th Age, some ~2000 years ago, when many of the current factions did not exist as currently (or at all),
      - or to Monopatea, which is said officially to have kept its traditions across millenia, during the 9th Age when any faction can be played with consistence,
      - or not at all.

If there is a need to resort more to the hidden fluff, let me know.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• New

Thank you all for the criticism and the ideas.
      I'm not really planning to change it over to 4th age. Although if the opportunity sticks and I feel like it down the road I might toss it in that direction.

Lich King wrote:

First of all the book as a whole feels quite balanced, maybe a bit underpowered but playtesting should show in the end. Additionaly it feels very good, the single parts fit to each other very well, it seems to represent a very low fantasy army which is quite scarce in the T9A universe till now.

• Forward Orders units block Line of Sight for Sorcerors. Don't know if this was intended. Could be some kind of a drawback when using Velites as your Sorcerors might want to make use of magic missiles too. ;)
      • so forward orders is basically supposed to be used only to prevent the front Century from blocking the rear Century from shooting. The premise being that you'd run your units straight up to the face of the enemy allowing both front and rear to unleash their pila. Velites have skirmisher so they wouldn't block Los for wizards anyways.
      • Sagitarii Levy seem to be underpowered/overcosted. Compare them to Peasent Bowman of KoE for example. They come with Weapon Aim 4+ on a Longbow and have the Flaming Attacks upgrade included with the choice to not make use of it. Could also be fixed by buffing the Composite Bows. My guess was to give them Str 4 AP 1 at Short Range.
      • 24" range, with a +1 aim at 18" with accurate seems pretty decent. The Roman's didnt really rely on many bows. Their primary shooting was fast flanking auxiliary velites and their own scorpions. (You can get 6 scores into one game)
      • Rear Century can become very expensive. Gladius, Praetor Pride and Plate Armour makes them cost 26 points/model without any Legion upgrade. Compare them to EoS Imperial Guard that comes with Str 4 and Plate Armour for 19 points only. I mean I would like to go for a unit of 30 Praetorians just for the look, but not for about 1000 points. :/
      • you have to account for all the other bonuses they're getting in their own special rules though. They come with Hasta, 1fier. They have legionnaire, another fier on first turn, they have a Hard Target (2) ability, along with a 6++ save. They also have the option to literally shoot into an enemy they are charging before charging in. As well as doing a stand and shoot when getting charged. Adding all the other bonuses they have, I'd say it should be fair to assume they'd be a bit more expensive then the EoS bois.
      • Whole army seems to shout: 'build a deathstar'! ;) Don't know if this was intended. Either go for more differenatiation between the several units (like not buy gladius, Praetor Pride, Plate Armour and Pilum on one unit at the same time) or more cross unit synergy instead of buying all those upgrades for one unit only (especially regarding the Legion upgrades)
      • As much as you might want to think that, I believe theres always those who see all armies as either MSU or MMU potential. I actually would like to think itd be easier to organize and run this army as MSU with properly placed centurion upgrades on units and deployment placement. Global 9 discipline with a global inspiring bubble. Along with the fact that it wouldn't take an excessive amount of upgrades to characters to cause most units in the army to have Stubborn based on the Hold Front rule. Using mass charges with Pila Drill at -1 to hit to soften up the enemy and break them with low str but high number of attacks combat there after.
      • How about the Rear Century becomes Bodyguard (General, Consul)? So you would be able to loose the Autoriative rule for the Consul. I'm not sure how you want this to be handled in game? With an additional Front Facing in the units rear it would mean you don't loose ranks, benefit from Parry and so on, but do you want to provide Line of Sight measured from your flank too? That's how it sounds to me and it could lead to many problems when you want to charge units, that are placed in your flank, but you can only do a single pivot of up to 90 degrees. An other point is that how I read it, you could also charge your flank into your opponents units what sounds crazy.
      • I have toyed with that idea. The only problem with it is the Hold Front rule would become less useful for certain situations. It also causes the idea of Deathstar to really predominate in the list making because then you'd build an praetorian group with a Legate fully upgraded. But with the way it is now it'd be easier to build 4 legionnaire units or 3 and 1 praetorian and then stack Hold front for most or all to gain stubborn.
      • What is this Honour Guard? Holy Hell! 4 Strenght 5 Attacks per model? I want to field them as a unit and give a sh*t about the Consul! ;) :D
      • The consul is a very important unit. I feel like it's currently undercosted. And doesnt have many weaknesses. The flanks disappear only when being charged. Aka, it still counts as having a front flank and rear. But when charged in the flank it counts the enemy as if it was in the front. So Parry works and enemy doesnt have bonus for charging a flank. And your men can make supporting attacks like normal to the side.
      • I would change the Ordered Charge rule of the Equites into something more usefull. I mean you have tons of anvils but nearly no hammer at all in your army composition. And Fear is too easy to counter nowadays. So many units or even whole armies are fearless...maybe Ordered Charge could be changed into something like 'The unit counts in their ranks twice when charging into the flank or the rear as long as it at least 5 models wide". With a maximum of 15 Equites with very low Armour it should force the opponent to shoot them to 4 models down before they charge. Otherwise they will make your opponents loose its ranks and so steadfast.
      • I feel this very much. I didnt really put a lot of thought into it. Was just thinking itd be nice to have -1 discipline lol. But yeah I'll definitely look for a better solution to this. Instead of fear I might make it a basic - 1 discipline or something.
      • The front and rear centuries are the main anvils of the army. They also have good sustained damage dealing and staying power. They whittle the enemy down evenly and then come in the Elephants, Equites, and especially Gladiators. If the enemy doesnt kill the glads with shooting before they enter combat, they didnt check the stats on them pre-battle lol. They're expensive and easy to kill, but they HIT like a freight train.
      • War Elefants fit on 50x50 bases easily. I would redesign them as being Monstrous Cavalry reducing their Attack value to 3 per model and stomp as well as impact hits to 2 per model. Devastating charge (Terror) might be a good addition too. The Four Legged rule makes them stomp chariots and so on too, don't know if this was intended. Otherwise you could change the rule text to 'gain Stomp (2)'.
      • The war elephant I have the model for doesnt fit on a 50x50. It barely fits on a 50x100. It's mostly supposed to act like a beast/monstrous chariot. Smack into the side for breaking. Or the front of a non-fearless unit to cause them to flee.
      Just my two cents! ;)
      Thank you so much for this post! So helpful!
    • New

BrykJagz wrote:

Thank you all for the criticism and the ideas.
      I'm not really planning to change it over to 4th age. Although if the opportunity sticks and I feel like it down the road I might toss it in that direction.

Lich King wrote:

• so forward orders is basically supposed to be used only to prevent the front Century from blocking the rear Century from shooting. The premise being that you'd run your units straight up to the face of the enemy allowing both front and rear to unleash their pila. Velites have skirmisher so they wouldn't block Los for wizards anyways.

Fine for me. Just wanted to clarify what the intention was here.

• 24" range, with a +1 aim at 18" with accurate seems pretty decent. The Roman's didnt really rely on many bows. Their primary shooting was fast flanking auxiliary velites and their own scorpions. (You can get 6 scores into one game)

While you might be right in historical terms, for me there is no point to include them into a list. They don't profit in the same why by the Forward Orders rules because they have Volley Fire and their damage output is even less compared to the Velites. Additionally the need to stand in the second line, so the advantage in range is not that huge. I hope you know what I want to say. :)

• you have to account for all the other bonuses they're getting in their own special rules though. They come with Hasta, 1fier. They have legionnaire, another fier on first turn, they have a Hard Target (2) ability, along with a 6++ save. They also have the option to literally shoot into an enemy they are charging before charging in. As well as doing a stand and shoot when getting charged. Adding all the other bonuses they have, I'd say it should be fair to assume they'd be a bit more expensive then the EoS bois.

Hard Target is not that important for units that come with a 3+ Armour Save. No one will shoot at them. Mostly your opponent will concentrate his fire on your hard hitters since they are not that good protected at all. Furthermore EoS has much more cross unit synergy with the parent & support unit system + all those Aura buffs like Hatred, Lightning Reflexes and Distracting. But it's kind of comparing apples to pears. Only tests will show!

• As much as you might want to think that, I believe theres always those who see all armies as either MSU or MMU potential. I actually would like to think itd be easier to organize and run this army as MSU with properly placed centurion upgrades on units and deployment placement. Global 9 discipline with a global inspiring bubble. Along with the fact that it wouldn't take an excessive amount of upgrades to characters to cause most units in the army to have Stubborn based on the Hold Front rule. Using mass charges with Pila Drill at -1 to hit to soften up the enemy and break them with low str but high number of attacks combat there after.

Same here: Only tests will show!

• I have toyed with that idea. The only problem with it is the Hold Front rule would become less useful for certain situations. It also causes the idea of Deathstar to really predominate in the list making because then you'd build an praetorian group with a Legate fully upgraded. But with the way it is now it'd be easier to build 4 legionnaire units or 3 and 1 praetorian and then stack Hold front for most or all to gain stubborn. steadfast, that can be countered by flank charges, but I get what you mean!

• The consul is a very important unit. I feel like it's currently undercosted. And doesnt have many weaknesses. The flanks disappear only when being charged. Aka, it still counts as having a front flank and rear. But when charged in the flank it counts the enemy as if it was in the front. So Parry works and enemy doesnt have bonus for charging a flank. And your men can make supporting attacks like normal to the side.

I don't think the Consul is not worth taking him, but my question was directed to the Honour Guard. How did you come up with those profile values? I mean every single Honour Guard is performing better than your Character choices in terms of fighting capability. Ah, I see. You changed their Attack value from 4 per model to 2 per model now. Didn't you? ;) So their fine now!

• I feel this very much. I didnt really put a lot of thought into it. Was just thinking itd be nice to have -1 discipline lol. But yeah I'll definitely look for a better solution to this. Instead of fear I might make it a basic - 1 discipline or something.

-1 Discipline might be too good tough. I would stick with the idea to provided Disrupted Ranks to your opponent fast than other units typically do. Just like I said, make them duplicate their Ranks in the Charge.

• The front and rear centuries are the main anvils of the army. They also have good sustained damage dealing and staying power. They whittle the enemy down evenly and then come in the Elephants, Equites, and especially Gladiators. If the enemy doesnt kill the glads with shooting before they enter combat, they didnt check the stats on them pre-battle lol. They're expensive and easy to kill, but they HIT like a freight train.
      • The war elephant I have the model for doesnt fit on a 50x50. It barely fits on a 50x100. It's mostly supposed to act like a beast/monstrous chariot. Smack into the side for breaking. Or the front of a non-fearless unit to cause them to flee.
      Don't know what models you're using for the elephants, but I'm currently thinking about buying those. I'm quite sure they'll fit on 50x50 bases. And since Large Cavalry uses 50x75 bases, I'm even more confident they'll fit.

Just my two cents! ;)
      Thank you so much for this post! So helpful!
      I'm quite hyped by your AB, so it's just fair to give you the feedback, you need and deserve, so my Imperial Roman Starter Army becomes usefull to me. :D

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• New

@Lich King

So the units can actually gain Stubborn if they are under enough Hold Front instances, in which case they disregard being disrupted.

Yeah those guys were a typo. I had it that the model read as Honor Guards (2) With 4 attacks. But it was supposed to be 2 attacks for 2 guys. The STR 5 just stands to show that the consul is guarded by the strongest bear-like men that the republic could recruit.

I will test out killing power vs the disrupting power of the equites. It'll take some time but I feel like either or would work.

Thos elephants are on 50mm round bases. I can see them fitting on 50x75mm but I want to keep them on 50x100 for that chariot equality. As I want them to be more like chariots rather than monstrous cavalry since they don't run around in units.

I hope in the future I'll get one myself. Right now I'm using substitute models from Fire Forged! From my KoE army
    • New

Ghiznuk wrote:

4th Age, 2000 years ago ?

So you are confirming that the 9th Age is about 1000 years old, and that Ages 5, 6, 7 and 8 lasted together only 1000 years, that is, as much as the sole 9th Age ?
      I cannot remember where I took these notes from, but it looked indeed like:
      - the 4th Age alone,
      - the 5-6-7-8th Ages together,
      - and the 9th Age alone
      lasted each a bit less than a millenium.
      However I cannot confirm that, only give a strong educated feeling. ;)

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG