Multiplayer Rules - How do you do it?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Multiplayer Rules - How do you do it?

New

Greetings fellow 9th-agers!

Currently a small team including myself is brainstorming about Official Multiplayer Rules for both X v X (2v2, 3v3, 4v4, bigger?) and free-4-all battles.
    Before we try to invent a wheel that someone else has invented, we would like to ask your feedback.
    If you have played multiplayer battles than please tell us, how do you do it?

Let us know and spread the joy of multiplayer battles! :D
    :UD: :WDG: :DE:
  • New

In the upcoming flux card supplement, there is a set which is primarily designed for free-for-all games.

The triumph and treachery expansion for WFB is a great source of ideas for multiplayer games.
    Taking an extended break; message or tag someone else if it's urgent :)

My ID blog
    Dan ventures into the lands of smoke and fire

Basic tactics for beginners
    No 'tactics for beginners' thread?
  • New

I've been to 2 different events that were both 2v2 multiplayer games, and my local group plays a lot of 2v2 games for fun. They were all 2250-2500 per player, so I don't have experience with games bigger then that. The rules I've found work best are the following:

1 army wide grand general (both armies can use the leadership)
    0-1 army wide bsb (both armies can use the "rally around the flag")
    Shared common magic items list, so no duplicating items between players.
    Both team members must be a different faction.
    1 shared magic phase per team. 1 flux card is drawn as normal, and each army contributes to channel in the shared phase.
    Augment spells can not be used on allied units, and any effects referring to "friendly units" can only be applied to "friendly units in your own army"
    Allied units count as friendly units for purposes of movement, charging, fleeing and causing panic.
    With each list being below 3000pts we also used warband restrictions, though this wouldn't be necessary with larger allied teams.
  • New

When playing with friends we pretty much just do 2250 per player (so 4500 per team), everyone builds their own army (so everyone has a general and can have a bsb). Magicphase is shared and augments can be cast on allied troops.

It's not perfect (suddenly you have 2 high dicipline bubbles) but every other alternative we found was equally lacking to simulate a 1vs1 perfectly.

For example:

Willzilla wrote:

1 army wide grand general (both armies can use the leadership)
    Is a huge benefit for some armies. Suddenly VS/Goblins always have Disciple 10.

Willzilla wrote:

Augment spells can not be used on allied units, and any effects referring to "friendly units" can only be applied to "friendly units in your own army"
    Did try that, we didn't like it that much either as it forces ALL player to overload on magic.
    If you're playing A+B vs C+D and B's unit is in combat..but he only has 1 augment..guess what's gonna get dispelled? With that rule pretty much everbody wants some augments for themselves making magic more necessary.
    Same reason some of us didn't like the treachery part in 8th edtion of warhammer (not triumph and treachery, that was great for free for all!) but the part where Skaven/Dark Elves randomly betrayed their allies (even worse if those 2 were combined) and then couldn't cast augments on each other or even dispel for each other.

So yeah, that stuff didn't work out for us and we're sticking with the "lesser" (for us) evil of nearly every unit having the benefit from general and bsb. Also unfortunately it goes heavy into the points (400 for bsb's instead of just 200 at a total of 4500 per team). Also the armies won't mix that well on the battlefield and feel/look more like 2 seperate armies (to stay in the bubble), which is neither a plus nor a minus.
  • New

One of the idea's we had for leadership is to have No BSB's but the allied General spreads a BSB effect to allied troops.
    This means a O&G/DH team can't have ld 10 on goblins, but will benefit from a bsb when they play close together and actually mix their battleline. This also means that leadership independent armies can still do what they do while leadership dependent armies have to stay close to their general/allied general.

I am also waiting for the new "small game flux cards" to maybe be able to balance the magic phase.
  • New

We sometimes play free-for-all with 3 players:

Deployment:
    One player has an entire short table edge, the other two have the opposing corners. The players in the corners are 24" apart, and their deployment zone goes up to 18" close to the player that has the short table edge.

Victory points: "Prey and Hunter" - system
    After deployment, a dice roll decides the direction of the "Prey": Either clock-wise or counter-clock-wise. Each player has a "Prey"-Player - he only gets victory points for destroying units of this player. Destroying units of the other player does not give anything.

Example to illustrate: Players A, B, C
    A only gets victory points from B, B only gets victory points from C and C only gets victory points from A. This means that each player must defend on one side and score points on the other.

Magic:
    After drawing a flux card, choose one opponent. You can only cast spells against this opponent this turn, i.e. it is a normal 1v1 magic phase. You are not allowed to buff units that are not of concern for this player, i.e. on the other side of the table (except for Aura spells, if there are more units affected that concern the dispelling player). This works somewhat well, but their have been some concerns regarding healing, especially the "free" raising from UD, gates of the netherworld or the druididm attribute.
  • New

umbranar wrote:

One of the idea's we had for leadership is to have No BSB's but the allied General spreads a BSB effect to allied troops.
    This means a O&G/DH team can't have ld 10 on goblins, but will benefit from a bsb when they play close together and actually mix their battleline. This also means that leadership independent armies can still do what they do while leadership dependent armies have to stay close to their general/allied general.

I am also waiting for the new "small game flux cards" to maybe be able to balance the magic phase.
    Yeah, yeah. Working on it. Might be up next week. There are also Flux Cards for Free-for-All games included by the way. ;)

Thanks so much @umbranar for your initiative to start this thread and all the guys and girls sharing their experience with us. You help us out a lot with the upcoming Multiplayer Supplement. :)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

• New

Oh, one more note on magic (though that discussion only came up back in 8th edition of warhammer, not for T9A yet):
    We've discussed splitting up magic dice and in case of a channel back then, only the armie actually channeling the dice could use it.

The general splitting up was very well received by some players, who weren't really influenced by it, but sucks heavily for a magic dependent army as VC or UD. They'll have no chance anymore to get a heal through if it matters.

umbranar wrote:

On the first thought I do like this. Makes the armies slightly bigger and is an ever so slightly buff for the armies who are buying a BSB to 100%, but that's hardly quantifiable.
    On the other hand the placement of the general matters even more and it does scale with bigger battles (assuming more players).
  • New

As of now we have came up with 2 different rulesets and distinguishing small and regular/larger battles.
    We are very much in the brainstorm phase still but same suggestions were:

Regular ruleset - "Friendy unit(s)/Model(s)" means your own army only. Obviously for augments and other abilities.
    Complete Mayhem Ruleset - "Friendly unit(s)/Model(s)" means every unit/model in your team. Obviously thinks go bonkers with augments targeting units that normally have no access to them and abilities (Undying will on skaven slaves for example) that cross army all the sudden.

Right now we are also thinking about split magic phases vs combined, only wizard adepts if 2 or more teammembers have wizards for small games, shared enchantment limits (no duplicates) etc.

still in a brainstorm, nothing set in stone yet.
  • New

When we play multiplayer battles we just take 1 fluxcard and apply it to every player in the team. Magic from this player can be dispelled with the set of dispell dices aligned to the flux card. So balance of magic is equal to the normal game. If one player doesn´t bring a mage, there are no dispell dices that can be used against the magic of the other players.

So in a 2 vs 2 battle there will be a flux card for each player, each will channel his own veil tokens, and there are a set of dispell dices for each oponent, that can be only used against the magic from one of the players.

Each has his own general and BSB only for his own troops, but friendly in magic means all friendly units of the combined army.
  • New

Pellegrim wrote:

awesome idea Umbranar!

If I may make a suggestion, once you have good basic mechanics, I'd consider adding a quirky, fun layer, with unexpexted / special effects between factions / units types. To add some color to the product.
    Alliances were suggested, maybe after the base rules are there. Might become an optional rule or a way to balance certain combinations.
  • New

Pellegrim wrote:

sure - but try and keep it in the same document. 9th Age can desperately use some color in it's publications. Its all a bit dry if you know what I mean. Well, it was just a suggestion anyway.
    For cross faction synergies we need to ask the BGT for help too.

But the fun experience will be something of very high priority for me.

Anyway maybe Blonde Beer, as our Supplement father, will come up with some nice idea too. T&T was one of my favourite WHFB expansions. Hopefully we'll have something similar in the near future for our beloved T9A system. ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support