New Blood

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

And on December 24th, Father Chaos brought us... A brand new army book for Daemon Legions!

• Several things we are doin' right know as a club...more things that we are planning right now...

1. Organizing an Open Tabletop Meeting Point once a week. We have many AoS players visiting us, because the near stores are too small for more than one gaming board. We'll expand in the near future to the school I'm currently working for to gain more room. As soon as we've finished, we'll print some flyers and place them in universitys, schools and local “dealers“ :D Additionally making advertising in several FB groups and at other social media channels.

2. We're translating the QS rules to make it even easier to give T9A a try, when coming from other “starter“-tabletops. We're goin' to add some small club armies, which can be used by our guests to try the QS rules.

3. We're collecting all the equipment needed to start a Youtube Channel. We're goin' to deliver German tabletop content, mostly T9A related stuff, but also AoS. We're NOT goin' to be just the next standard battle report channel with pictures and explanations...instead we want to show the community, how much fun we have with our fantastic hobby. Some smaller painting guides (We're just at the same level as you all are, we're not a group of pro painters! :D ), some walk throughs for fluff related stuff, army books, and so on. And just as I said before: lots of fun. Expect mind-blowing Memes, 2k20 effects, the most humoristic guy in the whole world (this is obviously me :D ), and his best buddys. ;)

That's it! Show 'em why you have fun AF in your hobby time. It's likely they'll give it a try and follow you. ;)

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

• Pellegrim wrote:

Trying to convince the Exec Board to shift prioritisation towards a welcoming pieces of fluff that take new gamers by the hand into the world of 9th Age. Thats the very basic thing that should been done first.
    What a helpful passive-aggressive answer, as usual :)
    Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans
    ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
  • Lagerlof wrote:

Pellegrim wrote:

Trying to convince the Exec Board to shift prioritisation towards a welcoming pieces of fluff that take new gamers by the hand into the world of 9th Age. Thats the very basic thing that should been done first.
    What a helpful passive-aggressive answer, as usual :)
    hahaha, no, it just hard for you to read. This is actually what is needed to get new players in. Not oldhammerers. New players. So it's by far the most effective thing to do atm.
    Booooooaaaaaarsssss .... Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge !!!
  • Pellegrim wrote:

hahaha, no, it just hard for you to read. This is actually what is needed to get new players in. Not oldhammerers. New players. So it's by far the most effective thing to do atm.
    Why would it be hard for me to read? It's not my area of responsibility.

What's the point of your post then? How does it help in the discussion about how to get new players?

Do you want all of us to start spamming Exec board with the same message?

You're life goal seem to be to troll and write posts which are nothing but hidden flame posts spreading negativity. Your post here has 0 actual impact on this thread, all you do is derail it. No one cares that you are spamming exec board.

Try to be more constructive about how to actually get new players into the hobby.

I won't answer any more of your posts, don't feed the trolls they say :)

--------------------------

To prove my point I'll contribute to the actual thread as well instead of just derailing it.

We have started hosting small 3000 points one-day tournaments in our city. We have some new players, about 4-5. Which means we have more than doubled the amount of active players in this area :P

Other than that it's quite hard to find new players, hosting games at local stores could maybe be a good idea. But finding people who play similar games is probably easier.
    Rules Questions?

ETC 2016 - Referee
    ETC 2017 Warm-up Herford - Head Judge
    ETC 2017 Salamanca - Head Judge
    ETC 2018 - Team Sweden - Ogre Khans
    ETC 2019 - Team Sweden
  • @Lagerlof Besides the fact that you cant seem to let out personal attacks - which I dont really care about, you continue to miss the point. How to actually get new players in to the hobby is by creating a complete product, which is very doable with a small shift of priorities. Should be further investigated, but it's a viable option. So that will be the biggest win for the hobby. So sure player initiatves are great, and improtant, but are far more likely to draw in "old" players.

As this topic is "new blood", we can cancel out oldhammer players.

How can we get "the product of 9th Age" in stores, on other media and make it welcoming for brand new players?
  • Lich King wrote:

3. We're collecting all the equipment needed to start a Youtube Channel. We're goin' to deliver German tabletop content, mostly T9A related stuff, but also AoS. We're NOT goin' to be just the next standard battle report channel with pictures and explanations...instead we want to show the community, how much fun we have with our fantastic hobby. Some smaller painting guides (We're just at the same level as you all are, we're not a group of pro painters! ), some walk throughs for fluff related stuff, army books, and so on. And just as I said before: lots of fun. Expect mind-blowing Memes, 2k20 effects, the most humoristic guy in the whole world (this is obviously me ), and his best buddys.
    Best get started on learning to speak German. This sounds like it's gonna be a quality channel!!
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
  • None of the players I've got into the system is an Oldhammerer. Most of them haven't even played a tabletop game before. Yeah, it's been hard work for me. Work that could have been much easier for me, if I had the QS rules before. :D But so far I raised a group of roughly a dozen players, half of them playing regularly.

AoS is a big “source“ too. At the moment I'm working on a table with all AoS models and what they can be used for in the QS rules. Then all they need is 32mm skirmisher unit bases and a W20 to represent the units HP pool.

More background would be great too. Pelle is right, I guess. But as long as there is nothing to share, we have to work out other ways. ;)

WastelandWarrior wrote:

Lich King wrote:

3. We're collecting all the equipment needed to start a Youtube Channel. We're goin' to deliver German tabletop content, mostly T9A related stuff, but also AoS. We're NOT goin' to be just the next standard battle report channel with pictures and explanations...instead we want to show the community, how much fun we have with our fantastic hobby. Some smaller painting guides (We're just at the same level as you all are, we're not a group of pro painters! ), some walk throughs for fluff related stuff, army books, and so on. And just as I said before: lots of fun. Expect mind-blowing Memes, 2k20 effects, the most humoristic guy in the whole world (this is obviously me ), and his best buddys.
    Best get started on learning to speak German. This sounds like it's gonna be a quality channel!!
    Well, we gonna implement this crazy google translator tool to show english subtitles. But it is not the best tool for translating German into English. But it is the only one for us right now. :D

Layout Team

Translation Team DE

VC Community Support

Supporter of Veil of the Ages

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lich King ().

• The new website has top priority and should help! Fluff and pictures to get in. It should be a good tool as the first thing you give to look at for a new player.

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Hi Eru,

A new website sounds really good, and if it contains the much needed welcoming background for the world and factions, taking player by the hand that would def. help. Has the website been prioritized lately, as we just heard it was just sitting there for months.

Eru wrote:

The new website has top priority and should help!

Casp wrote:

English content is now finish since 2-3 month almost.
    A website is a great start, and depending on what it features can really fill in the blanks that the 9th world currently is for outsiders. We'll see I guess. Next step should be a background compendium ala the Trudvang Chronicals, though it doesn't have to be a complete as that one. Is that something that is achievable in any way?
  • Lich King wrote:

None of the players I've got into the system is an Oldhammerer. Most of them haven't even played a tabletop game before
    Wow, big respect.

Lich King wrote:

Yeah, it's been hard work for me
    I can see that. So you are part of a good running wargaming club I assume? How large is it? How many of those clubs out there are there? And how do you guys get a place to play in?
  • Well, to be honest, I've been quite inactive with that for the past 8 months. Got my first child, further studies for a (hopefully) better job, continuing with my house and yard. Time's running out when you grow up, who knew?

But, so far I'm doing: Arranging introduction days, keeping oldhammer players up to date of what's happening, participating in local game and cultural even days.

For the Intro day I've talked with the local players and arranged for a few armies to lend out to new players. This should, in theory, make it a whole lot easier for new blood to enter the scene. Atleast to try the game out.

Since we no longer have a miniature hobby store in the city (closest one is about 1.5 hour drive away), I'm planning on making a document with instructions/tips on getting a starter army for each of the current 9th age armies. It will include our tested and most used webstores, stores in the most frequent visitation/tourist cities (in Finland), starter armies and recommended first buys to start with. I might expand it at some point. IMO, this should make it easier for new players to get a hang of how to start with the game (and parents on where to get the necessary equipment).

The city and university every now and then arrange for some cultural and/or game event days. Whenever possible, I attend these with our own cubicle and show the miniatures, most of the times also possible to test it out.

Of course, doesn't help that our city is the hubspot for Finlands Warmachine/Hordes scene >.>
    Not to mention Guild Ball....
  • I am working on getting a friend to try QS in UB with me, right now we are past the convincing to look at more complicated rules than mobile games. A simple no brainer seems to be very popular by demand, but that is not the offer. The offer is creative freedom and something really free where skill will matter.

So not players, just one for now ... :saint:
  • @Pellegrim It's been a priority for a long time to my knowledge, it's just that the last touches take forever, because volunteer project with a lot of people involved (my best guess as I've only followed translation from a certain distance). But we'll get to it, I'm certain everyone involved understand the impact of a nice website!

Maybe @Casp will have fresher news, if he hasn't lost hope already :D

Slim Layout Coordinator

Translation Coordinator

Translation-Team FR

I ♥ LaTeX

Local Moderator (French)

LaTeX... You fear to go into those complex interactions between packages. The dwarves coded too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of TeX-dum... shadow and flame.
  • Eru wrote:

@Pellegrim It's been a priority for a long time to my knowledge, it's just that the last touches take forever, because volunteer project with a lot of people involved (my best guess as I've only followed translation from a certain distance). But we'll get to it, I'm certain everyone involved understand the impact of a nice website!

Maybe @Casp will have fresher news, if he hasn't lost hope already :D
    I see, so it's not a matter of will but rather of capacity. Godspeed people! Onwards.
  • JimMorr wrote:

Grouchy Badger wrote:

What are you doing to draw in new players?
    My son (12) is going to get Ogres as his annual reward for school achievements. I am wicked.
    If he reaches the highest grades does he get UD instead?! ;)
    Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019