Idea for the Backstory

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Idea for the Backstory

I havn't read any of the other ideas, but here's my shot at it. I think the 9th Age's story should be a play on the fact that it is an indirect spinoff of the Old World which cannot be used.

My idea is a story about a powerful mage who discovers that his/her world is not what they think, but rather the aftermath of a great battle among ancient heroes and vile demons. The story could revolve around the mage's search to discover what happened, in a hope to stop the increasingly powerful presence of the monsters that are plaguing their world.

As the Mage discovers more about what happened, he/she learns that the world is much older than thought; they are...wait for it...in the ninth age.

From there you can build the stories of war into it, warlords seeking ancient, unknown powers and so forth.
      Dawmons My Record

Dwarves vs. Vermin Swarm • 2 wins - 3 losses
      KoE vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 1 losses
      Highborn Elves vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 1 losses
      EoS vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 2 losses
      SA vs. Orcs & Goblins • 1 win - 0 losses
      Highborn Elves vs. Warriors of the Dark Gods • 1 win - 0 losses
      Dwarves vs. Warriors of the Dark Gods • 1 win - 0 losses
      Daemons vs. EoS • 1 win - 0 losses
    • Actually that's not too different from what some others have suggested. :)

The thing is that the IP team says that this type of veiled take off of the GW setting can't be done.

Right now a lot of us are in a kind of holding pattern until the background team releases their setting information. Good news is that the first bits should be here before Christmas.

:charge2:
      Some say our identity was stolen in the cataclysm. I say we now can find one not given to us by some ancient dwarf, haughty elf, or warlord feigning godhood. Our future is our own. Take it!
      -Populia "heretic" of Gothima
    • Would a setting count as derivative work if it was to bridge the gap between the T9A world and a background which some might claim is similar to a background found in the GW universe but does not feature the names and possibly other details of the GW universe. And in which names and so on not present in the GW universe can be found. Point being that the GW background is not identical to this other background, though in some ways similar. Is it a question of how similar? If so, where to draw the line?
    • Yes, well, that sounds perfectly reasonable. It would be interesting to know more about what counts as related though. Given the scope of the GW universe, with elves, dwarves and what not, it would obviously be a challenge to write traditional fantasy of any kind without it being relatable in some way to what GW has also written about.

I believe some would find it advantageous if the T9A setting could be perceived as being connected to the GW universe. This would only require that there is nothing in the T9A setting which explicitly contradicts such a notion.

Like, could Star Trek be part of the Star Wars continuum? One would sincerely hope not, but could this possibility be disproven?

At any rate it seems that a lack of details which explicitly contradicts the possibility of the T9A setting being part of the GW universe would not be enough to make the T9A setting derivative. Questions seems rather to be how far you could extend the tendrils of any T9A background, in a way which would not be explicitly incompatible with the GW universe but still not derivative.

There also need to be nothing sinister about knowing exactly what makes something count as derivative. Even if your life had been spent as a hermit in the woods writing, the story could still be branded derivative should your luck run out.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ulodwor ().

• Put it this way, if I was to make a movie and set it in the Star Wars galaxy 10,000 years after the Darth Vader era and did not reference any of the characters in that era, would Disney hit me with a copyright infringement suit? Uh, yeah. Why? Because I'm writing a story in their universe. It's a new story with new characters, but, I conveniently located it in their universe. that is called a derivative work.

As far as the concept on elves and dwarves, did GW come up with those? No. They can't claim copyright to the concepts, but can to their creative expression. So, we can write about fantasy, but we can't rip off their universe. Anything that bridges the gap between our world and the GW world creates a connection and falls into derivative work status. We can't do that. Our world is ours. Not a remake of others. This is a new product, so why would we want to try to tie it to someone else's IP? That's just asking for trouble.
    • The deciding factor would then seem to be if and how anyone could tell the movie was set in the Star Wars galaxy, right?

Could you begin your movie with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."? It seems questionable. And why opt for such a significant stylistic "tell" with no benefit in terms of content? Could your movie have stars, space ships and planets? As long as the space ship is not an Imperial Star Destroyer, no problem. Could it have a desert planet, a city planet, a lava planet? Sure, that would work. Could the characters talk about Darth Vader? I would not recommend that. At least not if "Darth Vader" is not something different, like a puppy, in your movie. But could they talk about "Black Helmet", a great villain of the past? I sure would think so.

Could there be references in your movie to a few of the concepts that also happen to exist in the Star Wars galaxy? Especially if you don't refer to these concepts using the names found in the Star Wars galaxy? I believe it could. Vague references being better than specific. "Alien" is vague, "alien lizard" more specific, "Trandoshan" very specific. Talk about "Star Knights", yeah, why not? Dudes in white plastic armor? Sure. A single replicated Stormtrooper might well be much more problematic than a number of possibly but not necessarily related similar concepts.

A few similarities which could be interpreted as compatible with a case of derivative work does not imply there must be derivative work. Though I guess there should be a point where a few odd similarities becomes systematic similarities and derivative work. Could the T9A setting refer to a few concepts similar to concepts present in the GW universe without it being a case for derivative work? That would seem reasonable to presume.

That said, I certainly agree that any legal connection to someone else's IP should be avoided. If there is room for the players to themselves, should they so desire, make conceptual connections of that nature it should be enough. I presume there might be an interest in making such connections since the common denominator for most Warhammer players should be that they actually like the Warhammer setting.

However for the 9th Age team to play it safe and avoid anything which could even come close to derivative work would absolutely seem a valid choice.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ulodwor ().

• I look forward to finding out more about these story lines.

The above discussion pertains to "official" 9th Age fluff. Have you considered differently official levels of fluff?

If a fan was to write a story where Star Trek was part of Star Wars, that would obviously not suddenly make Star Trek derivative work and provide reason for a law suit.

One could imagine that there somewhere on the internet was a site with various items of 9th Age fan fiction divided into different sections. One of these sections might unofficially be known on the 9th Age site as something like the "section of unofficially sanctioned fluff". Essentially that would be fluff which would go through the same procedures and controls as the rest of the fluff, the difference being that it would have to be "rejected" because of the perceived IP-risks and sent on its merry way to the "unofficially official 9th Age fan fiction section" somewhere else on the world wide web.
    • Ulodwor wrote:

If a fan was to write a story where Star Trek was part of Star Wars, that would obviously not suddenly make Star Trek derivative work and provide reason for a law suit.

No, but his work would be a derivative work of both ST and SW and either or both can claim copyright over the material. That is the risk of all fan fiction. Countless people have been writing stories about their WHF characters through the years being little aware that what they are creating as "their own" actually wasn't.

I sure know I wouldn't have written as much had I know that, prior to joining this project, I would have explored building my own setting for the armies I own.

Background Team

Rules Team

Conceptual Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :BH: :DL: :DE: :DH: :EoS: :HE: :ID: :KoE: :OK: :O&G: :SA: :SE_bw: :VS: :UD_bw: :VC: :WDG: