Announcement SA: public playtesting feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• SA: public playtesting feedback

Hi guys :)

With the release of the beta we're ready to kick off some great playtesting. The purpose of this thread is to have a single thread for all Reptilian playtest feedback.
      Use this post to give back feedback of games, but do not post actual battle reports here. Don't argue, discuss or comment on other people's feeckback in this thread - do that in the Reptilian subforum.

I look forward to see your feedback, have fun :)

Here is what we are looking for with regards to feedback:

Size of GameLength of Game (time).
      Victory points and armyVictory points and army
      Player Experience LevelOpponent Experience Level
      # of Game With Current Draft# of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)
      Your most valuable unitOpponents most valuable unit
      Your least valuable unitOpponents least valuable unit

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

Self-Reported ExperienceDescription
      Casual<2 years Experience. Does not participate in tournaments.
      Intermediate2-5 years Experience. Sometimes participates in tournaments.
      Expert5+ years Experience. Familiar with ETC/Swedish comps. Regularly participates in tournaments.
      Tournament5+ years Experience. Places at local tournaments. Experience in ETC or Master's-level tournaments.

Please include a copy of both your and your opponent's list. We do not need every detail: units, their numbers, and any particularly new magic items or configurations you were testing will suffice.

LordsHeroesCoreSpecialRareLordsHeroesCoreSpecialRare
      Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1Choice 1
      Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2Choice 2
      Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3Choice 3
      Choice 4Choice 4Choice 4
      Choice 5Choice 5Choice 5

Please then include a short description of the game, the outcome, and what your and your opponent's thoughts were. If you feel anything needs tuning, please leave it here. Important: A single game does not determine an item's / unit's power level. Please test multiple times, in multiple configurations before suggesting feedback that xyz needs a redesign.
      [/quote]
      Length of Game 2.5 Hours (5 Turns)
      Player Experience Level: Expert
      Opponent Experience Level: Intermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft. 10
      # of Game with Current Draft. 7
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft No.
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft Playing. No
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Y
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Y

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare
      Anurid, Sig Spells, Telepathy
      L1 Ritual Priest, Tri, Engine, Scroll
      2 x 10 Hunters BP
      2 x 5 Raptor Riders, Std
      Spinosaur, Spit Poison

Pathmaster, Etherial and Book
      BSB, Elven Steed 1+
      30 Coast Guard Fc Heavy Armour, Gleaming Icon
      20 Sword Masters, Banner of the Path
      9 KotDR, Std, Banner of Dragons

L1 Ritual Priest, P’Don
      2 x 10 Hunters Javs
      2 x 3 P’Dactyls

Flameborn Mage, Young Dragon, Scroll
      5 Heavy Cav, Std
      2 x Sky Cutter (RBT Version)

Saurian Veteran ‘Cowboy’ GW 1+ Flameborn
      28 Braves, FC, 3 Crox
      Maceosaur

5 Light Cav, Std
      3 x Bolt Thrower (Single Shot)

10 Chamo’s

Minor Victory for Saurian Ancients.

Trying out the Telepathy discipline alongside an attempt the build something resembling my old skink cloud list/MSU Lizards. Ran three ‘cohorts’ Left, Right and Centre with the Anurid set back behind the centre cohort with a unit of Jav hunters for support. Each Cohort ran a magic beacon with the aim being for the Anurid to be able to influence the game and do what he’s best at LD and Spells without being in the firing line.

Highborn went for straight battle line with the intent of using their superior ranged shooting to eliminate/weaken the main threats before their combat units charged the remnants of the Saurian cohorts.

First 2 to 3 turns were cat and mouse with the Saurians taking most of the hits. Chamo’s were badly placed and got caught and killed by the light cav, 4 wounds off the Triceratops in one turn from the Highborn Bolt Throwers, the Ritual Priest Beacon and 1 unit of rippers killed and a unit of BP Hunters devastated by the flameborn mage on Dragon.

Game came back into balance in turn 3 when the veteran ‘cowboy’ who had swung over to the left to help out the cohort being torn apart by the Flameborn Mage and his Dragon managed to catch said dragon and kill it in 2 rounds of combat. He went on to eliminate a Bolt thrower before running off to hide behind a hill and preserve his points.

In turn 4 The Centre of the Elf Line and the Saurian central cohort clashed and saw the coastal guard devastated by a combined charge of Scrox and Maceosaur. The Triceratops failed his charge into the same combat but ended up handily placed in a flanking position if the KotDR had tried to pile into that combat on following turns. Skink hunters where used to block off Sword Masters and KotDR units ensuring that they where prevented from hitting the Saurian Central and Right hand cohorts cohesively.

The Pterodactyls on the right where caught and chased off by a Hawk chariot which then tried to charge the Aunrid in the Saurian backfield. He fled not wanting to risk impact hits from the charge killing enough of his accompanying skink hunters to force a break test.

The KotDR charged the blocking skinks in front of them hoping to break them and run them down and using the pursuit move to get out of the trap and reset to effectively counter the Saurian Centre. Unfortunately they killed all ten skinks and so there was no pursuit to be had only an over run which was likely to leave them flank or rear on to a Ancient Triceratops and Scrox Unit. They chose to reform to face and hoped to hold the charge on the Saurians next turn.

The Highborn Pathmaster also managed to finish off the Spineosaur whose LD bubble had been holding together the right flank and had managed to kill a bolt thrower. However casting the spell that killed it also caused a miscast which severely weakened the Sword Masters unit.

The KotDR where duly charged by the Tri, Scrox and Maceosaur in Saurian turn 5 and with their WS nerfed from the Anurids magic and the quantity of high strength stacks dished out by the Tri and Croxs they lost to many of their number and duly broke and were run down.

Saurian Ancients

Anurid worked well and his build and the 3 magic beacons I was using allowed him to affect the whole battlefield. I was particularly impressed with the Spinosaurus in this build and could see myself replacing the second Ritual Priest with a second Spinosaurus as it better serves this function. Its definitely the right call not to allow Telepathy and Etherial on the same Anurid as it would be such a sweet build but OP and ridiculously annoying to our opponents.

The ‘Cowboy’ performed as he always does and managed to catch the Flameborn Mage on Young Dragon which it killed in 2 rounds of combat. I’m glad that even with the points increases for equipment and Raptors these guys still fill a role in our lists and are being used.

I’m still missing not being able to take more than 4 skink hunter units. This list worked well as an MSU but it’s not as versatile as the old Skink Cloud build. The Scrox impressed me and I can see them becoming the mainstay of this build. In small builds I’m going to try single Scrox darts supporting the four hunters units to maintain that MSU maneuverability.

Highborn

This was my opponents first time using the Highborn although he is a very experienced Warhammer/9th Age player. His lack of knowledge of some units cost him during the game, such as letting the flameborn mage be caught by the Veteran cowboy because he underestimated its combat prowess. Overall the Elves played very well and had it not been for magic buffs swinging the Coast Guard and KotDR combats this could have gone either way.

Sword Masters were put into a building early game and stayed there for three turns. Great casting position for the Pathmaster but probably missed out on their combat support in the main battle line. As an opponent I was glad to see them go into the building as it made them much easier to ignore/manage. They were played with the Paths banner but I wonder whether they’d be better in open play with the Dragon banner and an Archmage who doesn’t need the casting support of the paths banner in the same way the pathmaster might.

Hawk Chariots where good and Bad. RBT fire took 1 wound off a unit of Pterodactyls in 3 rounds of shooting which seems like a light return. But the unit did manage to break those Pterodactyls in combat and threatened the Anurid late in the game. Overall they are better than they were in the TAC but I’m still to be convinced that they will be a mainstay of Highborn Army Lists. We will try them with the S5 shot next time to see how them play.

I wonder whether the pricing on the spearmen is slightly too high with their Heavy Armour Upgrade? With only 3 points difference to the much more versatile Costal Guard I’m not sure why you would take the basic spearmen with heavy armour in your list (and to take them without Heavy Armour on your T3 elves is inviting death). I saw and used them regularly in TAC lists but think we might see their use dwindle again all for the sake of 1 point per model.
    • I finally had my first match with the new books, I played Saurian Ancients vs Deamon Legion

Size of Game: 2500pLength of Game (time): 2 hours
      My Experience Level: IntermediateOpponent Experience Level: Expert
      My # of Game With Current Draft: 1Opponent # of Game with Current Draft: 2?
      No modifications.
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced': yesIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' : yes

My List Opponents List
      Saurian Ancient, Etheral Blade, Armour of Destiny, Shield, GeneralSkink Captain, Ancient Triceratops, Sharp Horns, Great Bow, Lance, BSB27Totem Warriors, T-Rex God, Spears, C, BMaceosaurus, Altar of the Snake God2 Spike Lizard, Peteranodon Hunter SpikesIncarnation of Death, ?, ?, ?Harbringer of Wrath, Warp Shield, Juggernaut, BSB20 Horrors of Change, Full Command, Flares of Change6 Doombringers, Full Command, Hellblades, Innate Defence 4+,Banner of Speed
      lvl 3 Skink High Priest, Ancient Triceratops, Engine, Tome of arcane lores , path of natureSkink Captain, Ancient Triceratops, Sharp Horns, Great Bow, Lance,25 Totem Warriors, Triceratops God, C, B, banner ofcourage2x10 Chameleons2 Spike Lizard, Peteranodon Hunter SpikesHarbringer of Change, Supreme Aspect, Trinket of the Dark Gods20 Horrors of Change, Full Command, Flares of Change5 Gargoyles, Mark of Wrath
      Harbringer of Change, Supreme Aspect, Mirror Mind5 Gargoyles, Mark of Wrath
      5 Hellhounds, Ambush

We played Classic Deployment, with some Hills and forests as terrain.
      The Deployment was really fast because my Opponent started and deployed all his units, Doombringer and Great Wrath deamon on his left Flank, Horrors in the middle, right flank was empty.
      I deployed the Totem Warriors in the middle, 1 Spike Lizards and 1 Chameleon unit right to the Warriors, Maceosaurus and Priest with engine behind the Warriors and the 2 Ancient Triceratops on the left side. The second chameleons were behind his horrors. My general joined the Warriors of the Triceratops God

1. Daemon Turn was really lucky, the doombringers charged my chameleons over a distance of 19". Nothing interesting happened in the magic and shooting phase, the doombringers killed the chameleons and overrun into the spike lizards.
      In my Turn I counter charged with my Triceratops Totem Warriors into the flank of the Doombringers. After some Magic the Warriors were boosted with stone skin and Healing waters. The spike lizards and chameleons killed some Horrors, but the Great Deamon was behind a hill so my great bows couldn't shoot him.

The next 2 Rounds the Totem Warriors fought against the Doombringers but both sides couldn't deal a lot of damage, while my General was bound in a challenge with his BSB. My second Warrior unit was busy killing gargoyles on their way to the Horrors and the spike Lizards and chameleons nearly destroyed the first horror unit with shooting. In Turn 3 my Triceratops BSB was killed by an Eternal Gateway with 10 Hits and Strength 10.

I finally won the game In my Turn 4. My 2. Triceratops charged the Incarnation of Death that was prepared for a charge in the rear of my Warriors. 6 impact hits and 4 failed armour and ward saves later the Incarnation was dead. In the same Combat phase my General was finally able to kill the Harbringer in the challenge. In the last turn we played I was able to destroy the last doombringers, while my Maceosaurus was killed by a second eternal gateway and my second Spike lizard unit was killed in close combat against the rest of the damaged horrors.

All in all I lost my bsb, maceosaurus, spike lizards, and nearly the complete unit warriors of the Triceratops god.

My conclusion from this first game: Ancient Triceratops with sharp horns are awsome, the maceosaurus and triceratops Engine are really good as support for the totem warriors, 3+ armour parry and 6+ ward save makes them really tough and poison gives them a good offensive boost. Path of nature is also good for lizards, but some close combat phases were a bit boring because the harbringer of change used mirror mind to cast stone skin on the doombingers so we had some phases were both sides had toughness 6 + armour and ward save. I misplaced the spike lizards and chameleons a bit but they worked well for the points they cost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raistlin ().

• Hi guys, thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated :D
      One thing though, please consider not making them too battle report-ish. The committee is mostly interested in what unit worked, what didn't and under what circumstances.

So for instance if you say "I was totally massacred" or "major victory to me" it's quote important that yiu detail why, especially if you mention your opinion on a unit. For instance "I had a major victory over my opponent and the Slann feel OP as hell!!" - in this case the Committee needs to know why that was. If your opponent lost his Lord lvl wizard in first turn the comment come off as hyperbolic, but if you state that discipline combination X, Y and Z along with magic item whatever made you unbeatable it's something entirely different.

It would also be perfect if you detail your final comments to cover all units used and not just the most notable. It's good to know if certain units die off quickly without getting any work done and if it's an actual trend or just random.

As always great feedback and I'll make sure to file it all to make the most out of your time :)
    • 2400Length of Game 3'5 Hours
      Player Experience Level: IntermediateOpponent Experience Level: Intermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft. 1# of Game with Current Draft. 2
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft No.If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft Playing. No
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) YIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Y

Skink High Priest, L4 (Life), Dispel
      Scroll
      Saurian Veteran, Tyrannosaurus, AoD, sheild, lance, bsb10 Hunters BP7 Kroxisaurus, hardened scales, Champion, MusicSpinosaur, Spit Poison, Wizard conclaveVampire Count, Skeletal Steed, Fly, Natural armour, blood drake, crimson rage, crystal ball, beast-bane halberd, dragoncale helm, dispel scroll45 zombies, stardartVarghulf, fly6 Vampire knights, FC, Plate armour and devastating charge, Castlehof Flag
      Saurian Ancient, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Flaming Aura, Lucky Shield, Flame lance, Staff of Mending10 Hunters Javs5 Chamaleons2x Spike Lizard, razord Sharp SpikesVampire Count, Skeletal Steed, Fly, Natural armour, blood drake, Avatar of death, strenght potion, sword of strife, hardened shield, dusk stone45 zombies, stardartVarghulf, fly
      27 Saurus Warriors, FC, Icon of Relentless comp30 skeletons, FC, shields, icon of prosaics days3 Great bats
      Snake Swarms, Scout

Despite I had 3 units with enormous combat potential, I found that the ones that had my oponent where a few superiors. I initially believed that a singular combat between my general and any of his vampires would finish in a loose.

I won the deployment side, so he started putting all his units in order to start the game (that's the only thing I don't like of 9th age. As it is now, who looses the side starts the game. Maybe changing it to deploy a max of three units at a time would make the deployment more interesting). I put my units adequatly in order to have favourable meetings. Chamos and swarms at 19 inches aprox to avoid turn 1 charge of vampire knights.

As you pinktaco have asked less battlereport and more unit-feeling, it's what i'll do:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
      -Personal thoughts:

Snake Swarms are a viable option versus skirmishers. A basic unit with scout at the same amount of points that a skink hunters one avoid me to redirect earlier in the game, and without being forced to sacriface chamos to do this task. I loose a skink hunter unit and I gain the survival of chamos. Furthermore, they can tarpit little but annoying units. Great option!

Spinosaurus: it killed with the spit poison a vampire lord charging since the unit of knights. I was absolute lucky, but I found it quite good. Wildform and amber spear were two aditional annoying spells to dispell, and the last one offers us an option to deal with things that we couldn't be able without it.

Croxisaurus: extremely potent unit. With the priest with life and spino with wildform, they can become very resiliant to death. They charged the knights unit (no vamps in it in that moment), and croxisaurus would have exploded them if they hadn't been behind a wall. Hitting on 5 and a very bad luck finished in the unit loosing the combat and beeing caughted. In a normal situation, these guys can obliterate anything.

Tyrannosaurus Rex: quite well protected, I initially thought the staff of mending was too cheap now that high magic atribute has changed. In the game, the opponent knew it was important to dispell it, because it gives you virtually 2 wounds instead of one. Fighting vs WS9 the dino behaves quite bad. It was charged by the 8A (S7 in one turn) vampire lord (repeat to hit and to wound), and made to the tyranosaurus 5 wounds. My dino had only one chance to kill the vamp, but as I've said, hitting on 5s is quite unreliable and it finished not doing any wound. He didn't flee but was killed in the consequent turn. Very hard monster, but vampire lords are a bit too much!

Tyrannosaurus: 2 extra wounds to saurus veteran, decent protection. Quite good vs infantry units, and much poorer than his big brother vs monsters or strong pjs.

High skink priest: great option. Finally we can choose between heavy and expensive or avarage and cheap magic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
      Oponents thoughts:

SA team have done good job with croxis and spino.

Vampires blender lords: still very good but he had to sacrifice the magic in his roster to be able to take them.

Varghulfs: good in all lists. Minimun 1 with fly in every list.

Big bats: supreme M10 redirectors of an army that can't presume of having much.

Ghouls: tried to use them as a redirector and failed. Need more playing to judge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
      Both thoughts:

Everything seemed playable and nothing broken.
      We enjoyed a lot!

PD: I believe that the duel we had between big tyrano and vampire lord must be one of the most powerful of the entire game. Any of both could have died easily so the luck was who decided.
    • 2500Length of Game 2.5 Hours
      Player Experience Level: IntermediateOpponent Experience Level: Intermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft. 1# of Game with Current Draft. 1
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft No.If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft Playing. No
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) YIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Mostly

Saurian Ancients vs High Elves

Skink High Priest, L4 (Light), Dispel
      Scroll, palanquin
      Saurian Veteran,Tyrannosaurus, AoD, shield, lance, bsb11 Hunters BP3 sky riders, pteradonsTriceratops, sharpened horns, giant bowLord on GriffonLevel 2 sorcerer of light on eagle, dispel scroll9 Heavy Cav2x 14 swordmastersFrost Phoenix
      Saurian Ancient,Tyrannosaurus Rex,Flaming Aura, Lucky Shield, lucky charm2x 10 Hunters Javs3 sky riders, pteradactyl, shieldsAncient Triceratops, Godly Engine

Level 2 sorcerer of light on eagle24 coast guard, spears, weapon master10 shadow warriors2x eagles
      27 Saurus Warriors, FC, Spawning of the Triceratops god, movement bannerMaceosaurus, solar engineBSB on horse, 1+ rerollable armorLion Chariot

Played today with roughly the lists above (though I am not sure if I got all of the highborn elf equipment. It's close, though).

We played a diagonal deployment, with the only major piece of terrain coming into play being a forest and a ruin in the middle of the map. I had originally intended to have the saurus act as the anvil. They would march up the middle, take charges, and allow for flank charges on the second turn. I had the first turn. Due to bad planning, marching up put me in a forest, which I realized was a horrible place to be belatedly. I wound up fleeing with a lot of my units, standing and shooting with a skink unit or two. Most of his stuff failed the charge, but his lord did get into a fight with mine.

So, as it turns out, T-Rex eats griffons. My Rex took 2 wounds, and dealt 10. Later, I charged his coast guard (failed terror test), and his swordmasters (failed terror test). I caught the swordmasters and killed them, then caught the next group of them. I stomped my way through EVERYTHING. Turns out that elves vs. dinosaurs turns out exactly like you would expect. I wound up destroying almost everything he had, and only lost 2 groups of skinks and a normal Triceratops.

So, what was learned?

Level 4 light beats 2 level 2s. Lizards still REALLY like light spells. Initiative 10 and WS 10 mixed with combo charges can take out quite a bit. I really like the skink high priest. It is nice to have an option for a level 4 that isn't the AHP.

Highborn Elves have no answer to an Ancient on a T-Rex. We did some tests with different units after the game, and the only way we could come up with for them to beat my T-Rex is for me to fail an initiate test against Purple Sun. Swordmasters did 3-4 wounds, then died. Lion Guard did 2-3 wounds, then died. Ancient dragon did 2-3 wounds, then (almost) died (and costs 200 points more). As it turns out, T6, 3+ AS, and -1 to hit is far more survivable than I had originally thought. Now, several units will start to beat it down eventually, but in the meantime, it will kill above and beyond its cost in value of elves. I think the T-Rex feels like it is in a good place, but I think the elves need some sort of answer to monsters. I think that elves can handle the Veteran rex, but they have trouble with the big one. Maybe if the Lion Guard had multiple wounds against monsters as well as against monstrous cav and monstrous beasts, they would have some sort of answer.

Terror is fantastic. I had 4 different units fail their terror test and get chomped down over the course of the game. I almost wonder if Martial Prowess shouldn't apply to panic tests as well as to fear tests.

The frost phoenix is still a great model. Any time it was in combat, it felt like I was swinging pillows at him.

The Triceratops Spawning for saurus is amazing. 3+ AS and parry makes for a great anvil. Totally worth the cost.

The list was really fun. My opponent was trying to build an all comers list, and while I think it has potential, I'm not sure it can take down high toughness targets. He has an answer to most threats, and with good positioning he should be able to handle most everything else. I don't think the elves need much work, but something to handle high toughness monsters
    • 2400Length of Game 3h (6 turns)
      Player Experience Level: ExpertOpponent Experience Level: Expert
      # of Game With Current Draft. 7# of Game with Current Draft. more or less 20
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) YIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Y

Anurid, General, Funnel, Protected
      soul
      L1 Ritual Priest, Scroll3 x 10 Hunters jav3x5 ChameleonsEngine of the godsDwark king,
      +1 to hit, d3 wound
      Great weapon, palanquin
      BSB of fire,
      shield
      15 warriors, Full command, Additional HW,
      Ambush
      24 Ironguards, full command, banner of speed2 Berzerker
      Saurian Ancient,
      Carno, Trice' lance, Flaming aura, lucky shield
      L1 Ritual Priest, Cube2 x 10 Braves +1 Crox,
      Poison, Additional HW
      5 P’Dactyls, shieldsRunic smith,
      Devouring, shield,
      3 bounds spells
      26 Greybeards, Full command, GW, scout28 Deathseekers,
      standard,
      vanguard
      Canon, fire
      Skink captain,
      BSB speed
      Staff of mending
      2 Swarms,
      Scout
      Steambomber
      Anvil of power

So a game versus a Dwarf player, friend of mine.
      We played diagonal deployment, breakthrough.

Using old ETC scoring: 150 victory point difference = 1 + of course the secondary objectif.

I (SA) won 19-1. But the game was balanced.

I rushed his ironguards T2 and killed the King in challenge (but lost 5 wounds on the carno). The rest of the game was redirection, sacrifice (skinks, Engine, ritual priest), But I finally managed to kill all the characters (with light magic to help) and the ironguards failed their last steadfast test turn 6 ;) Canon, Anvil and Bomber died against all my chameleons et pterodactyls. Plus Ptero with light help managed to kill the Greybeards.

SA:
      -Anurid is good, even if I still think that 50pts BSB is hard. Thats the reason why there is a skink BSB in my list. Funnel is a nice discipline, very interesting. Light magic feet very well with lizards :) Happy.
      -SA on T-rex is a real monster. 480pts for mine, so expansive, but strong. His damage potential is well balanced with is lack of defense, so ok. Combination with the 5++ of engine is good (but a real budget)
      -Ritual priests, ok ;) New cube is interesting.
      -Skink captain, still useless on foot, except for cheap bsb. Staff of Mending is good, but the white magic attribute sucks if impossible to keep an unused token (or stack, or both)...
      -Skink hunters, still good, but so expensive that now I don't pay the shield.
      -Skink brave with poison, additional hand weapon and krox, hum, I don't know. They didn't saw any combat.
      -Pterodactyls are more or less same as before, glass canon but strong against the right target. I love them even if they're hard to use.
      -Chameleons are still good.
      -Engine is very nice, except the Metalshifting configuration, too weak. Being force to take ancient for the Engine is a bit too much (80), maybe change the engine price to 30 should be better.

DH:
      -His king was very strong, but fairly price
      -Love the dwarf magic
      -Anvil is hard to kill, very hard. Maybe too cheap, I don't know. Very good unit
      -Berzerker are nice and cheap
      -Deathseekers are horrible, very strong unit, during the game I was forced to sacrifice the Engine, and even with WS10, 3+ AS and 6++, they killed it in two rounds
      -Having scout on Greybeards, ambush on warriors and vanguard on deathseekers is very very effective for dwarf players. Hard to play against.
      -Bomber is very strong. 2D6 S4 hits, every turn, for 100pts. for the same cost teradons do 3D3 S4 hits ONCE per game. Bomber is also T5, has a shooting weapon... it looks like it is too cheap.

Thanks for reading,

Hasael

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hasael ().

• 2400Player
      Length of Game 3h (6 turns)
      Experience Level: ExpertOpponent Experience Level: Expert
      # of Game With Current Draft. 2
      # of Game with Current Draft. more or less 5

SA vs DE

LordsHeroesCore
      RareLordsHeroesCoreSpecial
      Anurid (Light),
      General,
      Funnel,
      Dispell
      Captain,
      Triceratops,
      Ancient
      3x10 Braves,
      Musician, Standard,
      Jav & Shield
      Triceratops,
      Ancient,
      Sharp Horns
      High Priestess,
      Cult of Blood,
      Altar of Blood,
      Potion of Dragon Blood
      3x Killer,
      Nightshade venom
      3x5 Riders, shields
      3xReapers, Repeating Shot
      Captain,
      BSB,
      Flaming Aura,
      Triceratops,
      Ancient
      24 Braves,
      Full command,
      Jav & Shield
      Triceratops,
      Ancient,
      Engine,
      Sharp Horns
      Sorceress (Heavens),
      II level, Dagger

Sorceress (Heavens),
      II level, Dispell
      25/30 Warriors, Heavy Arm., Full Comm., Cleansing Fire
      25 Tower Guards, Full Comm., Speed
      Captain,
      War-Spear,
      Triceratops,
      Ancient,
      Sharp Horns
      4x10 Hunters,
      Blowpipes
      Master,
      BSB, Heavy Arm, Ring of Darkness

We played with the custom deployment and the Secure Target victory condictions.

For what it takes the battle: he took the first turn in spite I had +2 to start and he put 3 wounds on the only Triceratop he could see outside the Engine bubble with the only Reaper that could shot it... Not a very good start!
      Since I had a far stronger long range shooting phase and he had a unit that is almost immune to BS shooting he come straight at me with both his units using the light chavalry to redirect my possible charges. He managed to shot down 4 Triceratops (all except the less expensive hero) with shooting, a little luck in CC with the High Priestess and quite a bit of luck in magic phase (which costed him two misscasts and the unit of Warriors with two Sorceress lost because of a Panic test outside the General/BSB bubble done because of a misscast that also reduced the dimension of the unit below 25% of the initial value). I won the victory condition but I lost a Triceratop too much and thus we end with a draw.

We both felt that it was quite a drawish game from the start, since noboby of us had a real chance to push or force the issue to the other and, without uneven lucky breaks, the game ended as expected.

For what it takes the lists his list was surely better than mine in terms of optimizations.In particular from that game I changed the Path on the AHP to the Path of Heavens and I substituted the rare "simple" Triceratop with 4 Salamanders (reducing to 18 without champion the big unit of skinks).

I subsequently played also a game against SV. We completly missread the rules of the Stormvermins and we played them in "Mazinga Mode" (i.e. each one can shoot with a Warp Tech weapon every turn...). Since he played 8 of them the game result by itself is really pointless (I lost of some hundreds of points) but the significant part of the test was that I managed not to loose the AHP also with the smaller unit of Braves without running any serious risk (even if he was shooting far more than he should have).
      Length of Game 3.5 Hours
      Opponent Experience Level: Expert
      # of Game With Current Draft. 12
      # of Game with Current Draft. 5/6
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft Playing. No.
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) ?

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare
      L4 Archmage Nature, +1 Spell, Elven Steed, Gleaming Robe
      Captain on Griffon, 3+ 6++, 3++ v Magic, Tricksters
      2 x 5 Light Cav, Bows, Musician
      2 x Hawk Chariot, (Multishot)
      9 KotDR, FC, Banner = Sorcery

Saurian Veteran Tyranno 2+ 4++
      2 x 10 Hunters BP
      3 P’Dactyls
      Tri Ancient, Engine,

L2 Flameheart Mage on Fire Phoenix, Scroll
      2 x 5 Heavy Cav, Std
      Great Eagle

2 x 10 Hunters Javs
      Maceosaur
      Tri Ancient, Blowpipes,

Captain BSB, Elven Steed, Banner = Dragons Embrace
      9 Heavy Cav, Std & Mus

28 Braves, FC, 3 Crox
      3 x 5 Chamo’s

Major Victory for Highborn. 900 point swing in turn 6 when captain on griffon finally caught up with the Anurid that had been hiding in a castle formation all game and broke him and ran him down panicking the nearby Scrox unit. If the Anurid had held (re-rollable 6 on cold blooded) it probably would have been a draw.

Highborn playing flying circus, high movement list with almost no shooting, Saurians playing monster mash with Skink Support, Balanced Magic and Shooting.

Highborn

Magic heavy/Shooting light as always very dependent on PD generation which suffers a bit in 9th with the limited options for generation of extra PD. I was effectively running a L5 Nature and he worked well when he had dice to use. Nature is a strong lore for this style of build, very much in favor of it. Didn’t like the Archmage being stuck in the KotDR as it made me more cautious with them than I should have been and wasted that unit as a result. Will try the Archmage on a dragon in the reworked list to free both of them up to do their jobs.

I’ve played the Flameheart on Dragon before and am a fan so thought I’d try the Fire Pheonix. If anything its even more versatile especially when supported by the nature mage. Flaming wake was a great way of being more involved in the game as sometimes the mage on dragon feels a little one dimensional as your hesitant to put him into combat so he’s left solely as a wizard bunker/delivery system. The Phoenix opened up other options and coming with Flameborn also helps protect against a lot of the standard Magic Missiles you will face. Rebirth was a nice dynamic although we were questioning whether he shouldn’t give up some or all of his points if killed even if he then comes back to life. Rebirth shouldn’t be changed as it is exactly what a Pheonix is supposed to do but thinking about the VP situation for game balance is probably worth doing.

Captain on Griffon had a great threat radius and with the Griffon upgrade options was cost effective at what he was able to do. Spent most of his game hunting the Anurid, and the Tri ancient with Engine. Got both in the end with a little help from the BSB’s Heavy Cav unit.

Heavy Cav is working really well in both 5 and 10 man units. Cost effective for survivable T3 Elves with decent damage output on the charge. I’ve started taking 2 units of 5 with standards as standard in my lists due to their versatility and maneuverability. They are great for claiming objectives as well. Not been disappointed with them yet.

Light cav did what light cav do which was harass, re-direct and die. For 85 points a unit I can’t ask for any more.

Eagle's in special is a nice move and I think I’ll be looking for three in future lists. Best and most cost effective redirector available. Great for war machine duties.

Hawk Chariots have now been dropped from my lists. This is the 4th time I’ve used them and the 4th time I’ve wondered why I’ve bothered. Too expensive with the single shot bolt thrower as they are so fragile and short ranged they will just give up their points and a S5 single shot isn’t worth it. Their major problem is they bounce off of everything on the charge. What use is there for a light chariot/shooting platform that isn’t cost effective at shooting (Light cav give more wounds and better maneuverability) and that is completely combat ineffective. It’s a real shame as I own two of them and love the models. I used to use them in 8th regularly when they where S5 impact hits but they just don’t do what I want or need them to do at S4. This is where I’ll get points for the extra Eagles in future lists.

Didn’t play well with the KotDR but they kept their points even though they didn’t do much during the game. Can’t complain.

Saurian Ancients

My opponent will report back on the Saurian Ancients Side as he’s also a playtester but my thoughts are…

Master of winds is excellent and is exactly what we want in an Anurid. This discipline really can make him one of the best casters available but you really have to pay for it. Excellent.

My concern with the Anurid and Saurian Ancients in general is that I was under the impression that we wanted to move away from auto selecting the Anurid. The issue here is almost all of the army additional special rules (Disciplines and Spawning’s) centre around taking the Anurid. I would look at reducing the number of Disciplines available in total and limiting each Anurid to 2 and then in the space left from the 3 or 4 you get rid of, create some combat/generalship disciplines available to Ancients, Veteran’s and Skink Braves. Things like Vanguard Moves for D3 Units, Making Pterodons or Raptors available in Core (Limited to 1 unit), Rank and File units in the Army immune to Fear and Terror etc.

Big Dino’s played well but my opponent was a little conservative with them which let me hit them one at a time. In isolation they can be brought down but they are tough with a nature Anurid supporting them.

Discussed the Crox Hero with my opponent and neither of us could find a role for him in a Saurian Ancients list. I know he’s been nerfed by the RT but he’s currently a complete waste of space and I’ll be surprised to ever see him taken.

Maceosaurus is getting expensive again for what it does with the WS buff. Not sure why you’d take it without this though as the SA have loads of ways of getting poison if they need it. Don’t need another on a sub par combat monster for 120 points. In this game it got charged by a unit of 5 Heavy Cav in turn 2 and that combat lasted until the end of the game. 10 rounds of combat and it could take out 5 Heavy Cav (Although my opponent didn’t try using the crush attack).
    • Size of Game 2500Length of Game (time) 2-3 hours.
      Player Experience Level intermediateOpponent Experience Levelintermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft3
      # of Game with Current Draft1
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)No
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)No
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)Yes
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)Yes

AHP, +1 spell arcane item, alternate way of thinking, Funnel the Winds, Path of fire (main) + Pathh of NaturePriest with scroll3 x skirmishers with javelins24 shrine guards, triple M banner, weapons masterSpinosaurus with breat weaponlevel 4 wizard, path of darkness,BSB3 units of 10 archers with poison arrows10 wild riders10 waywatchers
      Tyrannosaurus, BSB, shield, armour of destiny30 saurus warriors, vanguad, +1M banner2 x 5 camo skinksTreeman Ancient wizard, +1S to dryads kindredChoice 220 dryads2 x 10 blade dancersEagle
      2 x 4 Pteradactyls
      3 Pteranodons

This was basically a test run for my friend who haven't played a lot since AoS. Neither of our lists were optimised.

I played the SA army and he the SE army. We ended the game at turn 4 when I had beat his wild riders, dryads, waywatchers and lord tree.

General idea of my list: Get up into the face of my opponent and smack him in the face. Use Pteranodons, skirmishers and camo skinks to take care of redirectors in combination with path of fire. Use path of nature to heal up the Tyrannosaurus/Spinosaurus and the occasional wound on.

Did it work? Not really, but mostly because I need to play this list more, especially pteradactyls. They're still very squishy at T3 with 4+ armour save. Should probably invest in shields. With lots of shooting it's easy to take care of my fliers and redirect my blocks so I have something to learn.

The Tyrannosaurus charged the ancient tree lord and one combat in first turn. We forgot the tree was stubborn, but my friend rolled 10 anyway on the break (BSB was far away). While I didn't fear this tree, I'm not sure what I should do with the Avatar of Nature. The S7 is rough.

The rare tree charged my spinosaurus, managed to do a wooping 1 wound, I did 1 wound in return with breath weapon and attack and so it was an tie. The following round I flopped my attacks and took 1 wound. Spinosaurus ran away and got overrun D:

Firefall from AHP did 4 wounds on Wild Riders. They charged my saurus warriors with S4 dryads. This was mosty to my luck because I had just previously killed off the tree by overrunning it. I think the idea of S5 hatred dryads at WS4/I5 is a very scary thought! Maybe a bit gimmicky, but nothing stop people from stacking the kindreds to have S6 in a core unit striking at initiative. TBH I have to say even S5 is a bit much. They normally cost the same as a saurus warrior, but have superior stats (WS4/I5) with a 5+ ward save that'll generally prove to be superior than 4+ armour save. The biggest "win" for saurus warriros is parry.

If you add +1S and parry it just becomes a slaughter.

Anyway Wild Riders did a number on the saurus warriors, but my guys prevailed and with steadfast I was able to hold out. The following turn my guards came to assistance and removed the left over wild riders winning the combat easily. Dryads got run over.

From here we had 1 insignificant player turn.

Unit Summary:
      • Path of fire is okay against MSU elves. There are plenty of S4 spells.
      • Funnel The Winds was okay, but I wasn't blown away. I channeled on 2+ and basically casted like I was a lvl 5, however it didn't stop me from having bad rolls with winds of magic. Because my opponent had 3 wizards he actually quite often channeled as well leaving me with just +1 To Cast and extra spells. I'll try it out some more though.
      • Tyrannosaurus was okay. The MW D3 is quite potent, but the model will still get crushed by lord characters.
      • Saurus Warriors didn't actually do much other than to hold out. Need to utilize my strategy better
      • Skinks did what they always do, same with camo skinks.
      • pteradactyls basically got shot to sh1t. They didn't do anything other than take out the eagle. A single unit of archers with poison will easily remove a single flier/turn. With 30" range and 3 archer units you can expect to get shot down quite quickly. Add the ranged attack from the tree and magic and they're removed even faster. It's okay though because my other units didn't take many hits.
      • Spinosaurus continue to be an interesting choice. I like the breat weapon and it's a capable albeit not great combat fighter.
      Overall a good game and I intend to try out my list some more and optimise it.
    • Saurians vs. Mono-Lust Daemons

Size of Game: 2400 pointsLength of Game (time): 3h
      Player Experience Level: Intermediate/expertOpponent Experience Level: Intermediate/expert
      approx #15 of Game With Current Draftapprox #15 of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): NIf opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): N
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced': YIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced': Y

AHP: all sigs, BSBSaurian cowboy3 x 10 skirmishers /w javelin+shield27 Shrine Guard, FGCGreater demon of lustHero BSB on foot of lust3 x ~15 lust daemons2 lust chariots
      L3 Skink: light2 x 24 skinks /w 3 Crox, FCGMaceosaurusHero in chariot of lust2 x 5 lust flyers
      Spike Lizard2 x 4 lust beasts
      2 x 5Chameleons

I did not design the list by the intent of facing daemons but on my way to my friend I realized how brutal the magic phase was going to be. I had 3 2d6 S4 magic missiles on 5+, also rolled on banishment and then had the normal fireball. We had diagonal deployment with the objectives as secondary. Got the first turn and rolled up rather big magic phase, erased one unit of the the beasts. On the next turns I played really bad, made quite a lot of mistakes in unit placement and got ran over by the daemons. Damn those lust daemons are fast. Also the +1 to wound and AP(2) is really deadly on the lust beasts. My poor cowboy got torn into pieces by them even before getting to strike, even with 1+/4++. The SCrox units were locked pretty much the whole game in combat but didn't really do much as I had quite a lot of trouble hitting my enemies even with the light buffs as it was pretty easy for my opponent to concentrate on dispelling the WS10 spell. Might not have been the most exiting of games but even still I felt that without my mistakes and just holding back casting those magic missiles I would have a great chance of erasing the daemons myself.

Saurians vs. Orcs & Goblins

Size of Game: 2400 pointsLength of Game (time): 3h
      Player Experience Level: Intermediate/expertOpponent Experience Level: Intermediate/expert
      approx #15 of Game With Current Draftapprox #15 of Game with Current Draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): NIf opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): N
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced': YIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced': Y

LordsHeroesCoreSpecialRareLordsHeroesCoreSpecialWarmachines
      AHP: nature, veteran of dark wars, BSBSaurian on tyrannosaur /w GW, 2+/4++4 x 10 skirmishers /w javelin+shield26 Shrine Guard, weapon mastersFGCOrc with stuffHero BSB on foot~30 orc brutes2 goblin chariots2 x goblin launchers
      Saurian on tyrannosaur /w lance, rerollable 1+2 x 20 skinks /w FCG2 x 3 PterodactylsL3 orc mage with wildernessL1 goblin mage, own lore2 x 20 goblins6 trolls2 x bolt throwers
      5 chameleonsL1 goblin mage, shadow1 troll
      Hero on chariot, rerollable 1+1 scrap wagon
      1 the big random movement squik or whatever it is called now

Well this was an interesting one. We rolled classical deployment with objectives. I deployed first favouring my left corner, he on my right. I went first advancing quite much and went straight to the objective with one unit of skinks, they weren't going to anything else anyway in this game after the way we had deployed. I got quite a lot of buffs all around so felt pretty safe with the first turn. He didn't really advance but got a quite lucky shot with one of his bolt throwers, hitting my other tyrannosaur on 6+, wounding 6+ (stoneskin) and rolling a 6 on number of wounds. I was pretty hindered after that and had to hide the guy for a bit so I could heal him first before revealing him again. The game went on me advancing cautiously and making sure I had my skinks where I wanted. He kept castling up and shooting away. I got my dwellers off twice in the game killing about 3/4 of each goblin unit and netting a L1 goblin mage in the process. He had all his mages in one of the goblin units at one point so I decided to concentrate on that instead of the brute orc unit. Came turn 4 I decided to make my push and revealed both my tyrannosaurus and pterodactyls, only to fail my magic phase when rolling triple 1's on my first spell (needing a 4+ on three dice). He ended up killing my non warded tyrannosaur. Didn't realize the goblin throwers also ignored armour saves, they are really strong like that and damn accurate aswell. It was a bit of a stalemate after that. I didn't want to commit into big combat in the middle and neither did he. We end up in a draw. Was really enjoyable game even though much didn't happen. But through the whole way neither of us felt that they were the underdog in any way - balanced!

One note though from both of the games. I'm really not sure how I feel about the heroes on chariots being able to join units. Don't really mind that as much but the issue for me is that you can you can end up moving double the movement with the chariots by joining units. (join the unit from the back or flank and "warp" on to the front rank as they don't march this way) My opponent didn't abuse this but feels really out of the place. Imagine 20" moving Lust chariots. I think the rule could be fixed by letting the chariots join the units but restricting their movement always to their movement value. Or the more drastic way to not allow them to join units.
    • Size of Game: 2.5kLength of Game: 3-4 hrs (played at a leisurely pace)
      Player Experience Level: ExpertOpponent Experience Level: Expert
      Game #1 with current draftGame #1 with current draft.
      No modificationsNo modifications
      Felt it was balancedFelt it was balanced

AHP
      Wilderness
      Veteran of the Dark Wars
      Master of the Winds
      Tome of Arcane Lore
      BSB
      Skink Ritual Priest
      Wilderness
      Dispel Scroll
      30 Saurian Warriors
      HW/shield
      Full Command
      Spawning of the Triceratops God
      29 Temple Guard
      Full Command
      Weapon Masters
      Banner of Cleansing Fire
      Chosen Lord
      Waste Steed
      1+ armour
      4+ regen
      2+ against flaming
      Beastbane Halberd
      Mark of Wrath
      Wildling Blood
      Chosen Champion
      Waste Steed
      1+ rerollable
      Charm of Cursed Iron
      BSB
      Mark of Wrath
      40 Barbarians
      Additional Hand Weapons
      Mark of Pestilence
      Full Command
      Filthy Banner
      12 (?) Wasteborn Knights
      Lances
      Mark of Wrath
      Banner of Wrath
      Warpscream Cannon
      Saurian Ancient
      Armour of Destiny
      Fleshrender
      Lucky Charm
      Skink Captain
      Triceratops War Spear
      Ancient Triceratops
      10 Skink Hunters
      Javelin + shield
      3 Skink Sky-Riders
      Shields
      Chaos Sorcerer Lord
      Waste Steed
      1+ armour
      Lore of Heavens
      Dispel Scroll
      Gem of Fortune
      Barbarian Jarl
      The Chosen Jarl
      Heir of the Sea
      2+ armour
      9 TrollsMutant Spawn (Lust)
      Skink Captain
      Tyrannosaurus Hunting Bow
      Hardened Shield
      Lance, Light Armour
      Alpha Pteranodon
      10 Skink Hunters
      Javelin + shield
      5 Warhounds
      Vanguard
      Mutant Spawn (Lust)
      10 Skink Hunters
      Javelin + shield
      5 Warhounds
      Vanguard
      5 Wasteborn Fallen
      Mark of Lust

Deployment: Classic
      Objective: Hold the Ground
      Result: Overwhelming victory to SA. Destroyed opponent's entire army apart from the Fallen; surrendered only "decimated" VPs for the TG and one unit of skink hunters that fled a charge and kept fleeing (with ritual priest inside).

Opponent came forwards very fast, looking to wipe my TG with his knights. Buffed TG held the charge, killed his characters, then broke the knights. The Barbarians repeatedly bounced off the Saurians (who couldn't pursue, but could keep charging them when they rallied), while the Triceratops charged & broke the trolls after the WDG general had died. Cannon was taken down to 1 wound by shooting early in the game and eventually died in combat with the triceratops.

Observations:
      Tyrannosaurus Hunting Bow + Alpha Pteranodon is vicious. Almost always hitting on 3s, can reach almost anywhere on the board, very difficult to catch. Did 2 wounds to the cannon turn 1 and picked off both Spawn; would have killed the cannon if opponent hadn't effectively sacrificed Spawn as distractions. For 131pts (+ 115 for his bodyguards) I can't see myself not taking this guy in most games.

The Slann was a real powerhouse. 5 Wilderness spells + VotDW meant that I had 3 killer buffs (Beast Within x2, Moraec's Fury), 1 good buff (Inner Rage) and 1 dangerous hex (Curse of the Wildwood), while Master of the Winds gave me the power dice to keep casting spells until my opponent's dice ran out. At range I was still projecting a lot of power with Swarm of Insects, Luminous Bolts and Redwood Shaft. 10/10 would use again.
    • Size of Game: 2.5k
      Length of Game: ~3 hrs
      Game #2 with current draft
      Game #1 with current draft
      No modifications
      No modifications
      Felt it was balanced
      Felt it was balanced

I used the same list as in the post above. My opponent used HE, with:

3 mages (Level 4 White, Level 2 Beasts, Level 2 Heavens). Dispel Scroll and Backlash Scroll, level 4 had the Gleaming Robes (Ethereal), one of the Level 2s had the Book of the Wizard Tower (used to dispel).

Prince on Eagle

BSB, Queen's Handmaiden, something that made me suffer -2 to casting attempts on the unit (can't find it now).

Big unit of Swordmasters with the Banner of Path.

4 small units of archers.

2 units of light cavalry.

4 bolt throwers (with multishots).

Deployment: Classic
      Objective: Hold the Ground

Result: Major victory to the HE. Not having experienced the new Swordmasters before I fed that unit my army piece by piece; some moderately bad casting/dispel rolls from me (nothing spectacularly bad) let him keep them buffed for a few critical turns and prevented me from doing the same. Terradons + Bow Captain were very effective at rounding up his bolt throwers.

Observations:
      Elves seem like a fairly hard counter to big blocks of Parrying infantry.
      His magic phase proved that the tooled-up Slann is not unstoppable.

Another good game - I hope we'll have a rematch soon and I'll (hopefully) know how to play better to handle elves in T9A.
    • Size of Game: 2.4k
      Length of Game: 3.5 hrs
      Game #2 with current draft
      Game #1 with current draft
      No modifications
      No modifications
      Felt it was balanced: N
      Felt it was balanced: N

Played the following
      AHP bsb, gen, telepathic control, master of the winds, extra spell 470 Heavens 1-5
      Skink priest scroll 95 Heavens 0
      Skink priest cube 110 Heavens 0
      Skink chief, pteradon, hunter bow, charmed shield, lance 129
      27 skinks, 3 krox, full command 300
      10 skinks muso 60
      3 x10 skink hunters 80
      3 x3 skink sky riders 100
      3 x9 chameleon skink 100
      2 x1 salamanders fire thrower 70(forgot to deploy them)
      Ancient triceratops engine of gods 255 2399

WoDG
      Daemonic Prince 545
      Mark (Change)Plate Armor Fly (8)lvl 4 (Change) Wastehardened Skin
      Gem of Dragonfire Lucky Shield Wand of Stability Soulfeeder
      Chosen Sorcerer 370
      Mark (Change) lvl 4 (Alchemy) Shield Mutant of Dark Gods
      Talisman of Supreme Shielding Dragonmantle Tome of Arcane Lore
      Chosen Champion 275
      Shield Warp Daemon Steed Barding BSB Mark (Change)
      Third Eye of Change Talisman of Greater Shielding Beast-Bane Halberd
      18 Wasteborn Warriors 333
      Mark (Change) Shields FCG Banner of Speed
      2x 7 Wasteborn Fallen Lust 105
      1 Wasteborn Chariot Barding 110
      2 x Mutant Spawn wrath 50
      4 Brutes Mark (Pestilence) 224
      3 Crushers Warpblessed Weapons225

Classic deployment
      No objectives

Result
      2272-370
      Massacre to the SA

Observations
      Skrox are close to where they were in ETC 2012 as the krox are hard to target not sure if they are too good though as most units should beat them out. Second sign seems a bit like Kairos. Flying bs5 bolt thrower that is also fast cav and can fight is silly good for 129. AT with engine was good but looks better on paper. Telepathic control is probably too strong as it is with the cloud. Slann could sit miles away and all bar one test was ld 9. Master of the winds is strong but expensive so is probably ok atm. Camo skinks are possibly a bit cheap.
      Files
      • 9th.png

(927.39 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • My side of the game @Ghrolfang describes above. (I played lizards)

Length of Game 2.5 Hours (5 Turns)
      Opponent Experience Level: Intermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft. 10
      # of Game with Current Draft. 7
      If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft Playing. No
      If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) Y

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare

Lords
      Heroes
      Core
      Special
      Rare
      L4 Archmage Nature, +1 Spell, Elven Steed, Gleaming Robe
      Captain on Griffon, 3+ 6++, 3++ v Magic, Tricksters
      2 x 5 Light Cav, Bows, Musician
      2 x Hawk Chariot, (Multishot)
      9 KotDR, FC, Banner = Sorcery

Saurian Veteran Tyranno 2+ 4++
      2 x 10 Hunters BP
      3 P’Dactyls
      Tri Ancient, Engine,

L2 Flameheart Mageon Fire Phoenix, Scroll
      2 x 5 Heavy Cav, Std
      Great Eagle

2 x 10 Hunters Javs
      Maceosaur
      Tri Ancient, Blowpipes,

Captain BSB, Elven Steed, Banner = Dragons Embrace
      9 Heavy Cav, Std & Mus

28 Braves, FC, 3 Crox
      3 x 5 Chamo’s

Saurian Ancients

Despite the fact that it's pretty costly, I still think that Master of the winds is a must take. Not only does it more or less guarantee an effective magic phase every turn but it also makes 7 dice more likely to be 4/3 rather than 6/1 giving your opp fewer dice to dispel with. Looking above, the majority seem to be taking it, which may indicate that it's too cheep/strong or other options for a big caster are too weak.

Maceosaurus lacks a bit of punch but I'm not sure if it's over pointed. I certainly never used the bound spell and it got bogged down in combat and did nothing.

Not really a thought from this match, but in general I feel that chameleons are pretty binary. The best way to play them is to shove them in front of the opponents artiller/ monsters and set up for first turn. If you get it you can usually remove said artillery, if you don't get the first turn they will all die, but it's still worth it for a ~150 points to often remove 150-200 points.
    • Size of Game: 2500 pointsLength of Game (time): 3h
      Player Experience Level: expertOpponent Experience Level: expert
      first game with currentfirst game with current
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced': Y*If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced': Y

Lizards:
      Anurid, Funnel, Alternate Way, Telapathic Control, Shadow Path, Life extra Spell, Charm of CI, Tome of Arcane Lore
      Saurian Vet, BSB, Tric Helm, Shield, LA
      Priest, lvl 1 Beast, Tric, Dispel Scroll
      Priest, lvl Heavens, Ancient Tric, Engine, Sharp Horns, Warpear

25 Warriors, Tric Spawning
      15 Braves
      10 hunters, 10 hunters, 10 hunters
      Maceosaurus, Engine
      20 Shrine guard
      1 Sally
      1 Sally

Dynasties:
      Hierarch, lvl 4 Sands, Talisman 4++, Dispel Scroll
      Acolyte, lvl 2 Light, Talisman 5++
      Harbinger, Armor of Eternities, shield, Gem of Dragonfire

5 Skel Cav
      5 Skel Cav
      35 Skeletons, bows
      30 Skeletons, bows
      23 Necro guard
      Sand Scorp
      3 Shabtis, Bows
      6 Shabtis, Bows
      Casket
      Soul Colossus
      War Colossus

This will be short with more info on notes than the battle.

Round 1, Casket killed priest on baby tric. Lizards moved up, shooting put a few wounds on lizard units and monsters. Skinks killed 2-3 of each cav unit.

Round 2, Casket killed macesaurus, locked down the other priest on Ancient Tric with Sands spell. Undead shot a few more lizard wounds off here and there. Sally 1 took out 3 cavalry and did another wound on shabtis, Sally 2 hid from casket and bow fire behind a building. Scorpion came up behind Ancient Tric. Shadow attribute moved Ancient Tric out of easy charge reach of the scorpion. Lizards moved up to charge distance with guard and were charged by 6 Shabti and the War Collosus, lost about 6-8 and held.

Round 3, Casket killed with exact wounds by lucky shots from skinks that ran right up into the enemy lines, sacrificing themselves to take out the casket. Guard charged Hiero generals unit but didn't do much, leaving a flank and reaer charge from 3 Shabti and the soul colossus. Necro guard charged Ancient Trip starting the grind that lasted the rest of the game. Sally 1 moved up, Sally 2 nuked about 10 bowmen.

Round 4, everything in combat but some skinks shooting at the bowmen and scorpion, little damage. Grinding continues everywhere, Sally 2 nukes 12 more bowmen. Shrine guard are wittled down to 10, Warriors lost the last of the unit to stomps and grinds. Vet holds alone against 2 shabtis, War Colossus forced out of combat, turns to menace the Anurids naked backside.

Round 5, more grinding, Ancient finishes necro unit with BSB, scorp charges him, Sally 1 charged to help failing guard unit, Sally 2 nukes all but 2-3 bowmen and acolyte. War colossus charges the back of the Anurid with only 3 shrine guard left, we call the game here. UD win by about 1800-1900.

Notes:
      - The UD Casket is ridiculous unless we can use Inspiring Presence. Monsters, Characters, Warmachines with LD of 6-8 are going to easily be killed by this thing with no real saves. Otherwise the UD units were pretty solid, their magic failed them pretty badly vs the Funnel of the Toad using the dispel bonus version. The #6 spell of sands works nicely bubbled.

-LOVE the sallies. Always did but now I can't imagine NOT taking at least 2. Ancient tric was able to do some damage but the warspear and sharp horns never came into play this game. Other tric and maceo both dead by my second round. . .

- Warriors with tric Spawning was cool but not that amazing against the shabtis but allowed them to hold long enough to bring them down to 2 models. The spawning did nothing useful vs the War Colossus.

- Saurus vet as BSB was fine, I've used the build a lot in previous editions as well, cheap and tough and does the job in the center of the line. built to last, not to kill monsters.

- Anurid magic, meh, still slightly too expensive for what he was actually able to do. The extra spells didn't really do a whole lot and were just not worth it. Having a ton of spells doesn't help when your still only going to be able to cast 2-3 per turn and 1-2 of them are probably going to be dispelled. I thought I might be able to use the Life attribute to heal of the trics but never got the spell off because of other more important buffs/debuffs that you pretty much have to use to make our units able to win combat against anything but core troops.

- Beacon/Telepathy was cool but didn't come into play all that much since I lost one of the priests first turn, Having the Ancient stubborn 9 re-rollable was great though for sure. Engine on the Ancient was pretty cool when i wanted to try and get off more than the average amount of spells for my main path, but having access to 4 paths it makes it a little meh. The d3 metalshifting hits is a little low to be useful, d3+1-2 or d6 would be better for what the upgrade costs. The ward aura is cool.

- Skinks do as they do, still great for the price. I could do almost the same stuff if I could only have 4 units of either braves/skirmish or 2 and 2 or 3 and 3.
    • Another game. This time vs @SmithF. 2400.

I had:

Big Slann
      Skink BSB on Steg

Skrox with 2 crox in it
      4*13 Javelineer Hunters

Big Krox with hardened scales.

1+1 Sally with Spout Flames
      2 Triceratops with Giant Blowpipes

Smithy had..oh.. I might get this wrong. MSU ^^

lvl2 matriarch general
      lvl 2 Black magic
      BSB

Big Forrest Guards
      2 small Grove Guards
      Medium ranked Dryads
      Small skirmishing Dryads

3*10 War Dancers
      2*5 Wild Hunters
      9 (?) Sentinels

8 (?)Waywatchers.

Treeman.

Diagonal deployment with ETC -15 map #1. Top Right bot left.

Game was close and solid. Lots of minor things that swung the battle. I was up big before t5 (mostly due to dice) - when a long charge from War Dancers finally connected on the Slann (he is never going to be an Anurid) - and a risky challenge between his BSB in deplepted forrest guards ended with him killing my Triceratops Skink BSB - concluding the game to a solid draw in Smiths favour with ~1500 points in casualties on either side. Mostly from close quarters.

(much apperchiate if you fill in on important details and summary of unit performance)

Unit performance:

Slann:
      I bought a big one. And he did not pay off. He might often do though. C

BSB on Steg:
      Did well. 18" bubble is nice. 3+ save is a little meh. Even with T6 and 5w. B

Hunters:
      Did as expected. C+

Skrox:
      Did as expected. C+

Krox:
      Did well. Blew through units with holy on them. B

Triceratops:
      Underperformed a little. But not much. Would probably not pay 10 pts for the blowpipes in current meta. D+

Sallies:
      One paniced and one roasted a huge amount of Forrest Guards. Have to give split verdict. D/A Overall B or B+ since they really need attention.

Cheers,

-H-
      Make T9A armies clash again! #BringBackBattlelines

Hermund Vigerust Endressòn Furu - Savage Sage of the Norse
      Faux-pro player and ETC vagabond.
      Enjoys the company of deluded nerds and women of unquestionably low morale.

For questions of tactics, The Savage Arts of Playtrolling
    • Another game with Saurians vs @MeuhMeuhs dwarfs:

I had

Slann with 5 spells of Shadow, red ring, "hot blood" powerdice gift.
      lvl 3 Shaman with Light and Scroll

BSB on Triceratops and holy icon, lance, lucky shield.

10+10 saurus with vanguard and muso
      15+16 Braves banner muso
      13+13 Hunters

8+9 Krox

1+1 Sally

You fill in what you had Meuh?

(Approx:

Smith
      DS
      Anvil

Big scouting Graybeards
      Small ambushing Graybeards

Big block of Seekers
      2 medium (8) skirmishing Seekers

1 Cannon
      1 Volley Gun
      1 Engineer
      1 Gyro
      2 Bombers
      2 Berzerkers)

Result was a 15-5 to Saurians. Mostly due to Graybeards and big Seekers + Daemon Seeker going down. He applied preassure on the Saurians and they were never in a position to threaten the backline of the Dwarfs.

Mvp:
      Skink Shaman, Krox and Sallies

Not really contributing:
      Saurus. Maybe. Idk. Helped break the Graybeards and 10 of them barely won a war of attrition vs 8 congaline Seekers. Getting speed on them improved them tons. I will test other setups with them. Still dont like the big block of them now that the classic cowboys are in such a helpless place. Pity really.

The BSB on Steg feels decent @249 pts. But he is more of a points conserver than a contributor. I feel better results would be had with points elsewhere. Esp since Life is not on the table with my current setup.

Else - on Meuhs list: I feel the Graybeards are strong - but not anywhere OP. The skirmishing gyros/bombers, seekers and 2 berzerkers give very nice boardcoverage (even if not tablecontrol). Id really not prefer to see Dwarfs nerfed much as it would affect their current (very cool) playstyle alot - and risk them returning to old habits :)

I`d say the game was closer than the ~850pts win end result.

Cheers,

-H-

• Game vs @Arjac Rockfist

I had:

Slann Death Scroll 3d6 winds
      Skink Shaman lvl 3 light +1 spell

Chief BSB T-rex bow on foot

Medium Triceratops Saurus Warriors
      2 units of Braves
      3 units of Hunters

Big Krox
      Big Shrine Guard

1+1 Sally.

He had:

Smith
      BSB

30+30 Graybeards
      30+30 Seekers

2 Anvils

2 Organ Guns
      2 Stonethrowers.

Game started with standoff before I got a good flank charge off with my Krox on his Generals Gray Beard unit - > leading to a big loss for the Dwarfs. I did not lose any points and scored approx 1800 vps?

Unit performance:

Slann - still not carrying in accordance to his cost. But solid.
      Skink Shaman - very cost effective. Prob MVP by a margin.
      Chief. Bow on foot needs bigger Hunters. And targets were not so ripe. Not his game. But affordable solution.

Saurus - Glorified nothing. Pity.
      Skinks of all sorts - did as expected. Cause headaches and a few wounds.

Big Krox - big chewers of the game. Involved in all points scored. Probably not achievable without the Skink Shaman giving lightbuffs though.
      Big Shrine Guards - Solid for brick play, and feel like a splid anchor. Cheaper than Krox for a second brick. Not quite my taste though.

Sallies - possibly also MVP. Grilled up the Graybeards very heavily when they had -1T on. I think the whole flamer artillery needs to be looked at - as the mobile flamers (Sallies/Soul Grinder/possibly others) rack up way to many hits - and the static ones are quite useless.

Feel free to add thoughts and views @Arjac Rockfist - or others :)

Cheers,

-H-