Playtest 3000 points Greenskins vs Reptiles... Fight!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Playtest 3000 points Greenskins vs Reptiles... Fight!

So we did a big game 3000 pts vs 3000 pts, testing average builds and a few novelties of 9th age. This is a follow up of my flaming of the savage orc + trolls and war machines build that i posted this week, i stand by every i said. Price / performance wise this new build should have a boost:

Greenskins: 2X 25 orcs + bow + shield, 1X25 veteran 2 weapons, mark of da boss, razor banner -- just cause my army was painted that way.
      2 giants + araknarok with shaman on it (big mistake) + pumps wagons
      3 heroes feral orc on chariot (cause it doesn't say feral can't) with spear, all sort of heavy armour, shield and 4+ or 5+ ward save
      Ard orc Warlord on wyvern with mithril armour and ward 4+.
      cavalry: 15 spiders with BSB arcane barner and 10 feral orc board boyz naked with spear and shield.

vs

Reptiles
      Less precises, but 2 big units of saurus, one shrine guard.
      Lots of skinks with poison everywhere
      2 spikes lizard
      hero on raptor maxed out, slann
      2 triceratop and i don't know the the name of the thing that gives poison on 6''

First of all i found out the hard way that the shaman on the spider doesn't have all spells anymore, he chooses. And since i'm used keeping him lv 3, only got 3 spells all game. Lv 4 upgrade for 50pts seems a tad expensive. I might be tempted by the LV3 orc + lv3 gobbo route...

Common orc did their job: survive one or two round for the chariot / monsters to arrive. Good thing bows are free cause they did SQUAT! :) Still a good idea, orc may be used to be solid flank protector, shooting out shaft and being able to take a charge and even punish all those quick war machines killers. 50 Vets+spear in horde and a good banner may be fun to watch also. Good bunker for 2-3 caracters, but with chariot now it hard to put heroes back in units. Still i prefer night goblins or feral orcs.

PARRY SAVES: A lot of times in the game i went to roll a parry save after a failled armour save only to realise that... its gone. I think we don't really like that -1 to hit that shield do. For WS2-3 troops anyway who gives a damn. When rolling for a parry save, you feel like you are doing something to save your guy! -1 to hit, you just forget. Yet for heroes or lord with big armour and ward save, that extra -1 to hit means a LOT! I like to play Black orc warlord for that WS7 -1 to hit and all that magic armour + ward save stuff. That's an extra 16.6% less hits on top of everything on the long road to deal a wound.....

I miss Gorbad. For friendly games no reason not to take the version in the book, but yes Gorbad with his option of upgrading all to veterans is a must have.

Heroes on chariot are solid!!! I did this with gobbo hero on giant squig, now your hero upgrade +2 wounds and you got a full chariot (bunch of S5 attacks on charge) with a ward save! These babies never died the whole game except when broken in combat. Armour of protection, talisman for the 4+ ward and the new one for 4+ regen can make this 3 chariot at 4+ ward possible. Add-in 2 heroes on swuig with 5+ ward

Does the natural armour of warboar stack with chariot armour save now? you talked of barding for other mounts.

There was way too much poison on the table for my giants and arkanarok to do anything. Giants got in combat one turn, rolled a pick up and.... and do noting. Sauruse warrios with S4-Ws3/4 makes the save. There's a loss of possibilities for the giant there, i opened up my book and say that once he picked up, you rolled another D6 and he could do all sort of good stuff, like throwing it back, eating it... That's gone now.

Arkanarok blew up at a 5-diced magic missile that went WAAAYYY bad. I 5-diced cause i didn't care, didn't have any other useful spells to cast, was expecting at worst a small blast.... Don't do that! Keep your arkanarok as a solo monster and throw it in combat vs low strenght. That's it. Oh yeah, the magic missile killed the skinks at least ;)

King fat ass on his wyvern cleared half the table starting from the left wing going back to center. There was no warmachines, but he is OK. Feel he can match up with the bests of them. Was equiped defensively 2+4+.

Spiders riders with arcane banner: useless waste of a BSB! (ain't gonna put a forest gobbo general either!). The arcane banner should at least work on spiders (that the whole point of the goblin poison strategy). But I even think the arcane banner should have the BOUND SPELL: POISON. Work on any unit, stacks with the spell, but not always on like the V.8 version that was too strong. Lots of armies have bound spells items, orcs have none. But when you think of it: shamans... totems.... they should have bound spells. Buffs and defensive.

Savage orc boar boyz: failled charge, a few got killed in the fences they were jumping over, got run over. Badly played, wasnt's optimised cause i wanted to test too much stuff. I belive in it with a good offensive caracter and a shaman. 4+ armour ward 5+ save a couple of wounds. Put only 5 naked with spears for relatively cheap 10 attack S6 otherwise.

Spike lizard: Good thing my friend had it, it decapitated a whole unit of orcs and then some. For 55 points each it kicked my butt worse than a hellblaster, and even in close it wasn't until my wyvern came over that i got over it... with 4 orcs left. And then some talk to me that doom divers are way to powerful and should cost 110pts... :P

Saurus and shrine guard got over common orcs and giants thrown at them, the vets got killed cause of a few spells that helped the lizards.

BORN PREDATOR: One word: WTF? Reroll ''1'' to hit like an elf, even elves don't do that. No, go back the ''6'' gives an extra attack. Way more cool, way more predator. It's a good thiing to get rid of the forced to pursue / overrun like a frenzy, this is not frenzy.

Triceratops did the job! It took every i had to kill one. The other violated my unit. Seems fair for 190pts. I'm sad i couldn't throw my araknarok at him to test it out.

Yeah ok i lost. Didn't have my ass kicked as much as with my savage + troll build though.
      Next try night goblins and black orc, i doN,t know with monsters or war machines yet.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Da W ().

• Good report, love it! Great feedback. Just a comment though

Da W wrote:

BORN PREDATOR: One word: WTF? Reroll ''1'' to hit like an elf, even elves don't do that. No, go back the ''6'' gives an extra attack. Way more cool, way more predator. It's a good thiing to get rid of the forced to pursue / overrun like a frenzy, this is not frenzy.
      In 8th, this used to be "if you roll a '6', you got a new attack', i.e. 1/6 chance of getting a new attack
      In 9th, we changed to: "if you roll a '1', you reroll the attack', i.e. 1/6 chance of getting a new attack (I say "new" attack, because rerolling a miss (1 to hit is always a miss) is virtually the same as getting a new attack.

There are some minor differences, such as that you do no longer have to distinguish between normal attacks and supporting attacks (supporting attacks used to not be able t benefit from this rule, now they do), or how this interacts will other abilities to reroll to hit. But on the whole, very similar rules-wise.
      - Head of Rules Team -
      - Assistant Head of Rules Clarity Team-
    • fjugin wrote:

Good report, love it! Great feedback. Just a comment though

Da W wrote:

In 8th, this used to be "if you roll a '6', you got a new attack', i.e. 1/6 chance of getting a new attackIn 9th, we changed to: "if you roll a '1', you reroll the attack', i.e. 1/6 chance of getting a new attack (I say "new" attack, because rerolling a miss (1 to hit is always a miss) is virtually the same as getting a new attack.

There are some minor differences, such as that you do no longer have to distinguish between normal attacks and supporting attacks (supporting attacks used to not be able t benefit from this rule, now they do), or how this interacts will other abilities to reroll to hit. But on the whole, very similar rules-wise.
      No major trouble would come with deleting this rule, though. Adjust point cost according (if needed) and or WS/A values (again, if needed)

Its similar to the deletion of ASF reroll.

BTW Killer habits could go the same route (again, adjust point, WS, S, A values, if needed)

;)