Glonojad's Bretonnians and Co.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• Turn Five

Vermin Swarm

DSC_0715.JPG

As the Equitaine troops failed to push the Clanrat block through, Spearrats charged into the flank of the unharmed Grail Knight unit. They couldn't hold against that many LS attacks and the battleline broke.

The result was something along the lines of 14-6.
      My PLOG - restarted on the Ninth Age! - updated:
      06th December: Grail Knight WIP
      28th November: two battle reports!
      11th November: WIP Harpies
      20th October: 10 more Spearelves
      17th September: Battle Report is complete finally
      Previous entries: 2018: Aug 01&10, Jun 18,Apr 03, Mar 09,2017: Dec 04, 26, 30; Nov: 04, 19.
    • So, that was the most interesting battle of that tournament.

I took part in another one last Saturday, and with a better result (I came out as 8th out of 15 players, which is the best I got in the last two years I think!). I also made photos of the battles, but, as usual, am not sure if I will be able to describe all of that.

Anyway, I'd like to post pictures of the second battle of this tourney, which ended in a very close tie (10:10 with just 2 "small" points of difference); text will come too I hope.

The battle was against the Warrors of the Dark Gods. The army led by Jaszczur from Poznań included:

Lord of Chaos (Lust) on a Deamonic Mount in a considerable block of Chaos Knights (8 with Full Command and a War Banner)
      L3 Sorcerer Lord (Heavens)
      BSB of true Chaos

25 Wariors (halber, SMC, True Chaos)
      2x5 Horsemen of lust

2 chariots of Lust

2 Fallen Beasts of Wrath

2 Hellscream Cannons

Turn 1

WDG
      B2-T1-A.JPG

In a bold move I failed to foresee, a Wasteland Chariot managed to charge the Pegasi which moved into a flanking position hidden from Wasteland cavalry. I decided to take the fight, confident in their T4 and ward save. Barbarian horsemen charged Yeomen, who withdrew.

Magic and Shooting saw just two Knights if the Realm slain in the BSB's unit.

In close combat, two pegasi fell while the remaining Champion failed to wound the chariot even once, and so he broke from combat.

KoE
      B2-T1-B.JPG

I moved the left flank into position while the centre held and rallied. On the right, Questing (Hedge) Knights failed their charge through the forest aimed at silencing the Hellscream Cannon.

Turn 2
      WDG
      B2-T2-A.JPG

Light barbarian cavalry charged the remaining Pegasus, while Wasteland Knights, as anticipated, charged the Questors. As fleeing the Charge might mean fleeing the battle, I decided it was better for them to die fighting - with S6 perhaps they would take a barbarian or two with them. In hindsigjt though, the chances were not that great and maybe failing the charge would mean receiving the charge of a Challenger Duke's Own on a flank...

Two Chaos Spawn - mutated beyond recognition so much they looked almost like Ogres ;) - emerged in Ambush from my table edge and moved towards large Lances held in reserve.

Magic and Shooting further reduced the size of the main Lance, but discipline of the Knights held.

Close combat saw Questing Knights decimated, and Chaos Lord reformed his Knights to face the approaching right Equitannian flank.

KoE
      B2-T2-B.JPG

On the left I carefull moved the large Grail Knight Lance and the once-large KotR Lance for a potential combi-charge.

On the right I decided that little further manoeuvring is possible and decided for an all-out charge, which was unfortunately failed by the Duke's Knights. Although I managed to kill several Chaos Knights, more bodies fell on my side and with no Rank Bonus and against a War Banner, Grail Knights failed their break test - whereas the Errants held, meaning WDG won't be able to move outside of the threat range by the Knight of the Realm w/Duke unit.

Turn 3
      WDG
      B2-T3-A.JPG

Jaszczur formed a battleline betwee a house and a hill and I was already sure a multiple-angle charge won't be possible against his foot troopers (especially that a 6-turn game was already threatened) . Still, they were not that numerous and a chance to break their Steadfast was quite reasonable. My opponent knew that well, so he charged his two not-Spawn into a flank and the back of my remaining lances, to block them for my incoming turn. Grail Knights failed to be impressed by the idea and slain the creature outright :D, while it took KotR two more turns to do so.

KoE
      B2-T3-B.JPG

The battle was already almost decided with this turn. I made a combicharge with my Grail Knights, BSB with few remaining KotRs and the HippoDuke, breaking the Warriors promptly with 10 or twelve slain and not a lot of my knights killed as a result. On the right flank however, the Duke was unable to help his last remaining knights with his flank still blocked by the notSpawn.

Turns 4+ and the outcome

Little more happend in turn four - Chaos Lord, having gotten rid of the Errants moved out of the charge range of my Duke, while his artillery finished the already weakened smaller Grail Knight unit. One of my units got to the Hellcannon but failed to kill before the game end, while large Grail Knights, who pursued broken Warriors together with other units, got DECIMATED by a flank charge of a Chaos Chariot. This final straw swung the balance back in Jaszczur's favor and the battle ended with a draw - with just 2 small VPs separating us!

Post-battle thoughts.

Perhaps waiting an extra turn with the charge on the right could give me better coordination and a chance to break the Knight unit; truth to be told,though, I'd have to block the unit with Aspirants (for lack of other light troops -but in line with their universal role) and play it wisely to ensure a combi-charge by the remaining two units. With Deamoncannon barrage incoming this would hardly guarantee a better outcome I think.

I also think I need more light troops to better play in the movement phase, with blocking or deflecting enemy charges and defending myself against the same. I guess Questing Knights will have to return to the drawer for the time being...
      Previous entries: 2018: Aug 01&10, Jun 18,Apr 03, Mar 09,2017: Dec 04, 26, 30; Nov: 04, 19.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Glonojad ().

• As one of my multiple ongoing projects, I am making a new Standard Bearer for my 5th edition Grail Knight unit.

I've collected all the necessary parts, but before assembly I tried to make a copy of a crest for use on the horse's head. Unfortunately, this time InstandMold failed me (or GreenStuff did, anyway the combination didn't work) and I was unable to get a good copy; in the end I had to use good'ol modelling saw and just trim the crest from an extra standard bearer.

Below is a WIP photo, showing halfway completed assembly - and all the failed clones' nightmare reminiscent of the Forced Unleashed somehow...
      DSC_0818.JPG

Bits used:

Grail Knights SB horsehead (5th ed)
      Grail Knight legs (5th ed)
      2 x Grail Knight torso (6th ed)
      Grail Knight banner (6th ed)
      Feudal Knights' horse taile (Gamezone - if anyone interested, I'll find which precise bit, there are SEVERAL patterns!)
      Plastic Bretonnian Warhorse (5th edition)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Glonojad ().

• So, I have played another two battles as a part of the tournament on Sunday. The tournament was a classic three-battle, but I could've only played two - still, with results of 5:15 followed by a 0:20 my will to play was not exactly high after the second game anyway :(

I did make some pictures, though, and will try to think about the reasons for such appaling results.

For some reason I will begin with the second battle, mostly because I already have adjusted the pictures to fit within the 1Meg limit! ;)

ARMIES

Equitaine: as per previous posts, I've chosen the variant with 2xKotR and 1xKE in core. In short:
      Hippogryph Duke with Might & Dragonlance combo
      Grail WH Duke with Valour, general, Strength potion, Blade of Strife, Hardened Shield, Dusk Stone.

Questing BSB with Piety
      Realm Paladin with Daring and Scorn

10 KotR (SMC, both Paladins deployed here)
      8 KotR (SMC, Discipline - Duke deployed here)
      5 KE (lt armour, no banner)

3 Pegasi (M,C,vanguard)
      5 yeomen (M)
      5 yeomen (M)

8 Grail Knights (full command)
      6 Grail Knights (full command, Aether)

Greenskins:
      Big Shaman with green magic
      Orc Lord on a chariot

Goblin shaman with Wilderness (I think)
      Orc BSB with Wizarding Hat (which, as usual, rolled Alchemy against me..)
      2 goblin chieftains on mid-sized spiders
      Orc hero on a chariot (incidentally, this one used a Grimgor model, not the Lord one :P )

a horde of Savage Orc Boys
      2x5 boar riders

3x5 squig hoppers
      2 catapults

2 gargantuan spiders, one with web catapult

DEPLOYMENT

B2T0.JPG

The scenario was a Flank Attack with Breakthrough combination, with me being the defender and moving second. Despite that, I deployed far to the front, as the enemy had three catapults (one spider mounted) and three wizards (including a Metal one) so I definitely had to come to them (and swapping smaller GK lance for a pair of Trebuchets might not have changed that).

Since the enemy had more unit selections, he was able to "burn" my deployment chocies and protect the flanks accordingly. Due to that I decided to keep core knights close to each other for mutual BSB-Duke inspiration and sent Grail Knights on the flanks.

Vanguard moves took me a little forward but, since I was not sure of the first turn, I did not risk going within the charge distances.

TURN ONE

Orcs and Goblins
      B2T1a.jpg

Despite being better suited for ranged warfare, greenskins moved quickly in - mostly with light troops like squig hoppers. One of the so-called "tomatoes" units charged a Mtd Yeomen avant-garde in the centre.

Ranged phases saw most of Pegasus Knights destroyed, which prompted the Champion to withdraw within the safety of the General. The hippogryph also got wounded by a lucky Rock Lobba shot - fortunately the Blessed Scripture worked exactly as advertised and saved his life halving four inflicted wounds.

Close combat saw poor squires completely DECIMATED by a supposedly equal priced goblins. Come on, S5 I4 mounts AND D3 Impact Hits AND fly movement? I mean, seriously?!

Equitaine

B2T1b.JPG

Although still shocked after last halfturn's close combat, I decided to stick to the plan and swipe at squig hoppers. Well, this worked wonders... not. Another MY unit decimated, and Errants were left with just a Champion standing, who promptly decided to run past her Duke for cover.

The larger Knight of the Realm lance charged at the Squig Hoppers, miracourusly losing only one Knight and turning the 'tomatoes' into green-hued ketchup. :evil:

TURN TWO

OnG
      B2T2a.JPG

This was a time for some greenskin charges. On the left the Grail Knigts, deprived of support that deceased MY and PK provided, got charged by an Orc chariot and more tomatoes; I didn't really try to avoid the charge the turn before, confident at my Rare knights. In the centre, gigantic spiders manoeuvredstaying just outside the charge distances of the Knights.

Shooting and magic saw the destruction of the last Knight Errant and the death of the Hippogryph - with Blessed Scripture rounding up, this was a mostly sure outcome.

Close combat turned to be a complete disaster for the Grail Knights. Despite their legenedary resiliance, only the Command Group survived and they fled the battle only to be destroyed in pursuit. Such a shameful end...

KoE

B2T2b.JPG

Things begun to look quite grim. Although casualties were not yet catastrophic, I was left without half of my main teeth and support units and with fast troops completely removed. I could no longer redirect enemy charges, and the range of big spiders (7" plus swistride) meant it was a guessing game married to a time bomb - my only chance was to risk charges, but I was kept cleanly outside of the range (well, I mayh have tried a charge with the larger Knights thanks to Daring, but a failure would lose me the game on turn three.

So I moved as far forward as reasonable and watched if the enemy took the risk themselves.

TURN THREE

OnG

B2T3a.JPG

Squig hoppers have, once again, proved crucial to the enemy plans as they have blocked both my large lances (in the case of the left one - just on the verge of their distance!). The gargantuan spider moved bravely within the charge range of the Grail Knights on the lance - much to my enthusiasm in fact - while in the centre the other one kept just outside 12" of the Ducal Guard should they decide to move against the tomatoes.

Magic and shooting begun to take their tool on the larger Knights of the Realm lance.

KoE

B2T3b.JPG

There was little to gain from the charges at the hoppers, so I withdrew a little to gain a chance for some charge range failures in the upcoming "sandwich" charge turn by the OnG.

Heroic Grail Knights charged the gargantuan spider on their right flank and hit it badly with full six wounds inflicted, loosing two Knights in combat. The beast stood, however, and now a countercharge was imminent.

TURN FOUR

OnG

B2T4a.JPG

Orc Lord on Chariot countercharged the Grail Knights, light troops sorrounded the Ducal Guard preparing the ground for the final charge white magic and shooting kept the barrage on the large KotR lance.

Close combat saw three further Grail Knights dead and just a single wound remaining on the Gargantula... the remaining Champion bravely keeping his ground with just a single thing on his mind: to finish the spider before his inevitable fall.

KoE

B2T4b.JPG

There was little I could do at this moment I think. I charged the squig hoppers with my Ducal Guard as there no longer was a chance t get out of the spider's range and moved a little to the back with the KotR in case I got a chance for a redirection (somehow) - getting forward was to risk a comibined charge from the Boar riders and even infantry.

Brave Grail Knight failed to kill the monster and died in the flurry of blows that followed below his Initiative level of 5.

TURN FIVE (and mopping up)

B2T5a.JPG

Well, there's little to be told about the remaining turns. It turned out as a 0-20.

SUMMARY

Well, I certainly didn't play the game well, it wouldn't be a 0-20 if I did. Frankly, though, I don't really see major flaws in my gameplay, even thouh quite a few mistakes could have been avoided; I fear that with my army composition I wasn't really equipped with the right tools for this pairing. On the other hand, what would have a pair of Trebuchets change? Should I spend two-three turns trying to kill the squig hoppers from the distance? Because at their sick rules traditional shooting would certainly work not.

All in all it's been a while since I was handed my butt over so drastically and I'd gladly hear a word or a page ;) of comments from more advanced players.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Glonojad ().

• Some dreaded Polish garage company I guess ;) I don't know the specifics, would have to ask on the club's forum.

What about the battle itself, @Klexe, @Kratos?

• Yeah, he was the general for this reason and Ld10, I just badly edited on the phone :/
    • Gnashers dashers are tricky to deal.

They go down easily with magic, but you had none :(

Also I think you deployed badly, there's no reason to keep the center lances that close. Minimum space between lances should be 8" so you can cover more charge arcs and he has more difficulties chaffing all of them.

Another tip, save your yeomen for crucial moments. I even vanguard them backwards just to make them redirect just when i need them. I only put them infront of my knights vs heavy shooting lists to give cover.

Gnashers doing D3 S5 hits and some S5 hits vs 2+ 5++ is much less damaging than vs 5 naked yeomen.

And lastly be more aggressive, you can charge with paladins alone to deal with chaffs, and then move your lances to threathen them. Always move, if you stay static you get swamped fast. Vs that list i would probably field ALL the heroes alone (except piety one) , so he have more threats and cannot redirect all of them.

Hope it helps! Have Faith on the Lady and your enemies will fail!
      Visit our blog, The Gates of Kislev!
    • Thank You Kratos, that was really a bucketload of advice!
    • one more thing @Kratos, if I may - do You think the army itself needs any tweaks?
    • yes. Sure it does.

We are an ok powerlevel, but have issues than need adressing.

We need more viable options more synergies, bound spells, some price readjustments, some restrictions removed, etc...

But most importantly we need to become more stable and more forgiving. Koe is too hard to play and one bad movement or deployment cost you the game
    • @Kratos I was asking about my army roster ;)

• ops xD

I think you need magic somehow.

Maybe downgrade the valor duke to paladin and get a pair of damsels or a lvl 4.

Or a solo duke with humility and wizards hood tome of lore or dispell and some protection. And swith those aspirants for a spear levy

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kratos ().

• Yeah, I've been there and it seems I can't really cast my way out of a paper bag :P

What I am condsidering is:

-swapping smaller grails for a pair of Trebs (not that I am that much better at rolling Scatter than casting, but still better) and/or
      -swapping smaller KotR for some peasants or a more aspirants (for a total of two units with heavy armour, full comamand and six strength or three five-strong units with just musician and champion - to get more light troops to fight chaff and redirect).

Still, getting these changes to extreme (ie swapping both smaller Grails and smaller KotR) would mean I get down to two banners, which seems kinda too few for some secondary objectives.

• Well, I've finally managed to finish my second Trebuchet! Just in time considering the fact that I am actually playing an all-combat force.., but I digress :P

Here are the pictures! The last one is (purposefully) a little too bright but I think this allows to look on the details of painting better.

20160712-Treb2b.jpg20160712-Treb2c.jpg20160712-Treb2d.jpg

Of course, the whole thing is magnetised for ease of transportation and to have the crew act as wound counters.
      20160712-Treb2a.jpg

As always, I am thankful for all the comments, whichever way they may go!

Yes, magnets in the feet and in the machine frame, but also in the base. Magnetic rubber is only the dark stripe underneath the machine itself. Crew have D1.5mm magnets and these were already difficult to mount (finecast...) - the rest are standard D3's.

The wood recipe is based on Charcoal - Beasty - Plague brown by Vallejo, for details You will have to wait until I return from holiday. ;)
    • So, I've played another tournament. The army stayed the same, because I couldn't decide on changes and... forgot to print a new roster sheet!

It turned out not that bad really... so it was:

Hippogryph Duke with Might & Dragonlance combo
      Grail WH Duke with Valour, general, Strength potion, Blade of Strife, Hardened Shield, Dusk Stone.

Questing BSB with Piety
      Realm Paladin with Daring and Scorn

10 KotR (SMC, both Paladins deployed here)
      8 KotR (SMC, Discipline - Duke deployed here)
      5 KE (MC, lt armour, no banner)

3 Pegasi (M,C,vanguard)
      5 yeomen (M)
      5 yeomen (M)

8 Grail Knights (full command)
      6 Grail Knights (full command, Aether)

The first battle was against Saurian Ancients, with Diagonal deployment and Hold the Ground secondary objective.

Saurian Ancients army included:

2 (Two) Carnosaurs with one being a Prime,

a Stegadon with the Engine of the Gods,

two pairs of Spearbacks (the lizard-machines with barbs anyway)

lots and lots of skinks with javelins, poison, blowpipes, poison, chameleons and more poison. And a Shaman (or two) and a BSB, too. Also Skinks.

DEPLOYMENT,SCOUTs and VANGUARD:

B1T0.JPG

Saurians deployed all at once to get the first turn. I considered all the good advice received (thank You guys!) and deployed the main lances quite widely, trying to assign support (chaff) units to each one. On the left flank I moved mounted Yeomen to intercept scouting Skinks.

TURN ONE

Saurian Ancients:

B1T1a.JPG

Left flank (standard) Carnosaur threatened to charge Yeomen, who moved to close in their hunt for Skinks. So, as per standard procedure, they withdrew.

Magic and shooting was concentrated on Pegasi, leaving only a wounded champion on the field; one Grail and one Realm Knight also fell.

Kingdom of Equitaine:

B1T1b.JPG

I had nothing to wait for with no Magic and just symbolic shooting, so I charged artillerylike LIzards: with Knights Errant on the left and the Ducal Guard (with the Challenger Duke) on the right. In the first cased I hoped to get through to the Carnousaur and at least soften it in the SA phase, leaving him ripe for a charge by the Grail Knights - as the latter failed their own charge which would take them straight into the T-Rex! :(

On the right I've seen a nice line to the Skink Cohort with BSB, hoping to get the latter if not in a challenge, then by a knight or three. The lone Pegasus moved to block the charge of the Alpha T-Rex, or at least redirect it from the main lances -a brave sacrifice I must add.

The Hippogryph moved to the hill to be able to intervene should the Alpha Carnosaur turn or in case the General Duke meets any opposition. Smaller Grail Knights were held in reserve, as they carried the dispel banner.

Close combat verified my plans - although the Duke managed to get through to the Cohort (though not without losses), the Errants failed to finish the Weapon Beasts which held and left the young knights asking for a countercharge by a Saurus Veteran.

TURN TWO

Saurian Ancients:

B1T2a.JPG

The countercharge was sure and came in the form of a T-Rex smashing into Knights Errant and a skirmish band of Skinks trying to flank the Ducal Guard. The Duke smashed a Skink champion two pieces while several other skinks fell (the whole unit still held though). Pegasus Champion fell while completeing his duty; Aspirants got shred to ribbons, though, and the overrun move was just long enough to reach Grail Knights on the left flank... Mirorring the very manoeuvre I had planned myself!

Kingdom of Equitaine:

B1T2b.JPGB1T2b-zoom.JPG

The enemy opened up a little though not really in the way I wanted them to :/. The big dilemma was to select the target for the main KotR lance. On the centre, I could've gone against a Stegadon, and, with the number of attacks, eventually slay it (especially with some luck for my Questing BSB, who already has an Abominasion on his victory score). On the other hand, charge Grail Knights were in need of help as between the Saurus and Carnosaur there were enough high power (if low Initiative) attacks to heavily damage them. In the end I've decided that mutual support is the best solution and charged the Carnosaur. In the end the Carnosaur got heavily damaged (and failed to get even a single Knight with itself!) and fled, only to be destroyed by the pursing Knights - just as they charged into a Skink skirmisher force.

On the far centre, a similar support manoeuvre was performed by the Hippogryph Duke who smashed right into the flank of the Skink Cohort. As BSB fled to the far side of the unit and another Skink champion jumped to meet its destiny at the hands of the Challenger Duke, the Hippogryph and its rider killed eight or nine skinks, almost doublehandedly robing them of the Steadfast advantage. Needless to say, there was little to re-roll with the BSB at the end of combat and, while the General and his remaining men chased the cohort off the table, the Hippogryph turned around to measure his most challenging enemy - the Alpha T-Rex...

TURN THREE

Saurian Ancients

B1T3a.JPG

Pursuing Grail Knights failed to move outside of the arc-of-sight of the Stegadon and thus were charged in the flank by the dinosaur. Carnosaur moved to intercept the Dukes, trying to stay out of range of the smaller Grail Knight unit.

Stegadon charge got a Grail Knight down (ONLY one, I may add, as there was fortunately only a single Impact hit rolled!), but the skink unit evaporated from attacks of two Lances, forcing the beast to pass a Break test. (un)fortunately this also meant that Knights of the Realm were no longer within the same combat as Grail Knights, but could reform again at the end of the phase to angle for their charge turn to come...

KoE

B1T3b.JPG

Once again the Knights of the Realm had a choice of either supporting the Grail Knights (now facing the Stegadon on their front) or supporting the Duke with a charge against the Ancient T-Rex. Confident that Grail Knights will be able to take care of themselves after the shock of the charge, they rode to support the Hippogryph who combi-charged the greatest threat in the enemy army with them.

Although the Duke got heavily wounded, the dinosaur was overpowered and with the support of two ranks and two banners of the Knights of the Realm the beast turned tail and fled, to be rode down in thunderous pursuit which took the Knights right into the remaining Skink Cohorts.

TURN FOUR and CONCLUSION

B1T4a.JPG

My Lizardmen-playing friend lost much of his heart after the death of his pet T-Rex and I really understood him well. The remaining turns were mostly mopping up, although the Stegadon has finally overpowered the Grail Knights whom I was not able to support in time. Knights of the Realm claimed the center of the table (conviniently marked with an eight-pointed star of the long-forgotten gods of the previous eight Ages) and I won a 19:1 victory. Which I feared would put me on a high table with some tournament veteran wanting to shred my precious Knights to pieces! But that is a story for another ... post :P

POST-BATTLE THOUGHTS.

I obviously had some luck with Ward saves here, though these did balanced my rather unimpressive rolls to hit and wound (not to mention charge distances, which caused a great deal of trouble on the left flank) - just two wounds from the Dragonlance combo is mild result!. The army was, however, well composed against this type of threat and even a little suboptimal number of light troops didn't hurt this time.

Also, I think my opponent may have underestimated me a little, as it was our third game and previous two were clearly won by him, and the news of "no Trebuchets" additionally pleased him.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Glonojad ().

• My victory took me to the second table in the second round - a place I've never been to I think. I fully expected to meet a professional with an optimised army and, as a result, to be returned to back tables (were the games are usually the most fun!!! :P ).

Here is a Sneak Peek of what I met in this round

B2T0WWW.jpg

...to be continued!