Glonojad's Bretonnians and Co.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• @Hollowduc: Thanks! Well, most players usually bring lots of chaff so either try to shield their valuable targets or block my moves, so I have to move swiftly. I try not to risk charges over 16" unless there's little risk of a countercharge and prefer targets that can either lead me to another unit or an overrun manoeuvre behind enemy lines. I also should consider potential countercharges if I fail to break the enemy, but I often forget about it :P

As for combi-charges - these don't work as often as one would wish for. Usually either one of the combined units fails the charge or there are so many targets I have to divide forces. Last time I remember a good combi-charge with three lances it was a Dwarf unit and this didn't turn out to well (but it seems I've selected the worst possible unit as a target - most of them are stubborn or bodyguard anyway).
      My PLOG - restarted on the Ninth Age! - updated:
      06th December: Grail Knight WIP
      28th November: two battle reports!
      11th November: WIP Harpies
      20th October: 10 more Spearelves
      17th September: Battle Report is complete finally
      Previous entries: 2018: Aug 01&10, Jun 18,Apr 03, Mar 09,2017: Dec 04, 26, 30; Nov: 04, 19.
    • The second battle was agaist a "cavalry" Imperial army. Why the semicolons? Well, it included:

Two 10+ strong units of Imperial Cavalry (formerly Knightly Orders)
      One 10+ strong unit of Special S4 A2 Sv1+ Knights which make Questors look silly by their very presence :P (at 26 points per model!)
      Two units of five Reiters (how about a charge with 10 I10 S4 AP attacks? from LIGHT cavalry?)
      Five skirmisher archers (a Special choice - humans with bows, hell yeah)
      A Steam Tank and Two Cannons
      Several characters: Grand Master, BSB (Dusk Stone, Hero's Sword), Warrior Priest, at least two (if not three) wizards, an additional Captain.

So, it turns out that after several versions there still is no Imperial army without at least two cannons - even a supposedly cavalry one... Wasn't "no autotake units" a core principle of the project?

Aaaaanyway... deployment follows:

B2T0WWW.jpg

As You can see, Imperial Cowardly Orders deployed in the corner of the table, with the Steam Tank blocking potential for side charges. That's why I've sent the Grail Knights to that flank.

As Imperial Wizards knew the Chain Lightning Spell, I've deployed all main units with 6" distance inbetween to minimise the chance for "jumping" at least in the first turn.

TURN ONE

The Empire moved first.
      B2T1aWWW.jpg

The first turn saw the Empire... further withdraw (sic!) with the Reiters and begin the artillery and magic onslaught, which costed me two Grail Knights and all the Pegasi - who were supposed to balance the Reiters a little.

Equitaine

B2T1bWWW.jpg

I've moved forward as far as possible, even trying to block the Knightly Orders block with the Yeomen. There was little point in hiding the Hippogriff behind the hill (though my enemy promptly reminded me of the possibility to "save his points")so I positioned him with a potiential of a charge at the Steamtank, but not in the next turn yet.

TURN TWO

The Empire

B2T2aWWW.jpg

The BSB Captian charged out of his Imperial Cavalry unit to eliminate the Yeomen blocking Knightly Orders. Then magic and cannons once again rained death upon my units, wounding the Hippogriff and Yeomen on the right flank, circling with one of the Reiter units.

On combat the Captian swiftly disposed of four Yeomen (sic!) and the remaining musician sounded the retreat (which was promptly ignored by the Duke passed by the peasant).

Equitaine

B2T2bWWW.JPG

Unfortunately, most Imperial targets were still out of reach of my Knights and those that were - worked as bait. Knowing one more turn of shooting will be a problem I ground my teeth and manoeuvred further, trying to close the distance but don't risk a countercharge which would reduce my saves to paperlike 5+/6++

TURN THREE

The Empire

B2T3aWWW.jpg

The Steam Tank tried to ride towards the Grail Knights but was one inch short! That was the opening I was waiting for... until the artillery finally shot the Hippogriff down :( .

I believe some magical buffs or hexes were cast this time, but unfortunately made no notes so don't remember really :(

Equitaine

B2T3bWWW.jpg

Well, for what was worth, I charged the Steam Tank with those who could - ie Grail and Errant Knights. Totalling almost 30 attacks between them they had some chance to at least solidly damage the machine, if not destroy it.

Unfortunately, only three (or maybe four) wounds were inflicted and this was the time for the Grinding Phase.

TURN FOUR

Empire

B2T4awww.jpgB2T4a_zoomW.jpg

The Empire moved in, mostly with light troops trying to block the charges of the main wave of Equitaine. Only the leftomost Imperial Cav moved within the range of the smaller Grail Knight lance, teasing them to test their mettle.

Equitaine

B2T4bWWW.jpg

In response I decided to act somewhat out-of-the box; I've moved both Paladins from the large KotR lance to the Ducal Guard, as this unit was in better position for a charge and had a chance to withdraw a little from the threat range of the Knightly Orders.

In the meantime, Grail Knights charged at the Imperial Cavalry exposed at them (unfortunately loosing one knight on the stockade). Of the remaining three knights, only the Champion, locked in challenge survived, but four Imperials paid the price for their arrogance (that's right, GKs fell two Imperials each!). Only the heroic Champion remained, determined to defend the position as long as possible..

Yeoment continued their "dance" with the Reiters and Steam Tank continued the grinding of the Grail Knights, who failed repeatedly to penetrate its armour. Kingdom for a Bastard Sword!

(CONTINUED IN A FOLLOWING POST)
      Previous entries: 2018: Aug 01&10, Jun 18,Apr 03, Mar 09,2017: Dec 04, 26, 30; Nov: 04, 19.

The post was edited 7 times, last by Glonojad ().

• Well, I don't want to spoil the report before it is completed, so I'll just say I REALLY need that Armour Piercing on Grail Knights, and am afraid my Daring Paladin will have to get shelved to that end...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Glonojad ().

• battle report continues...

TURN FIVE

The Empire

B2T5aW.jpg

Having locked most of the units, the Imperials finally moved in for the kill. Knightly Orders prepared to finish the Aspirants, who had no power to stop the Steam Tank from slowly, but purposefully grinding one Grail Knight after another. The Reiters moved in to block the Ducal Guard but in their movement I've sensed a possibility of getting at least some points, evacuating the Staff to a safer position and, if Lady allowed, maybe even saving the last Grail Knight..

Equitaine

B2T5bW.jpg

So it was high time to sound the charge. Imperial player made a mistake positioning his Reiter redirectors and so I charged them with my smaller KotR unit, carrying all three remaining characters. The Duke slaughtered them personally, and the unit overrun into the Imperial Cavalry block... just in time to witness the Imperial BSB killing Grail Knight champion in challenge! The retribution was swift and brutal, with the Imperial Cavalry broken, pursued and destroyed in that very turn.

On the other flank Knights of the Realm proceeded to destroy the irritating archers, overrruning them far enough to avoid a flank charge by the Knightly Orders - and face the second Imperial Cavalry next turn.

Fortunately, this time no Grail Knights fell, but no damaged passed through thick metal hide of the Steam Tank neither.

TURN SIX

the-ninth-age.com/index.php?at…6ea0cddbbbbf965d269d23e74

It was time for final Imperial charges. The Reiters charged at the back of the Grail Knights, aiming to utilise their precious 30 point difference over Yeomen with 10 I10 S4AP attacks (hell yeah), while the Shame of the Questors (ie Knightly Orders) charged at the flank of Knights Errant. As could be expected, this ended the stalemate on the right flank and generated considerable Victory Points for the opponent.

In the centre, the Imperial Cavalry charged Knights of the Realm, eventually braking them and earing the second Standard for the scenario.

On the left, the General was unable to engage any enemy and had to grind teeth at the losses his forces suffered in the battle.

SCORE: 7:13 from victory points, -3:3 from Capture the Flag scenario, result: 4:16

AFTERMATH

Well, I begin the game with the feeling I am somewhat overmatched and the idea didn't change througout the battle. Yeomen seem poor cousins of Reiters (much more expensive, granted, but I feel really worth every extra point paid), and direct match between Imperial Cavalry and Knights of the Realm has shown that the former have a definite advantage in further turns of combat (as 2+ is better than 3+/6++). All those cannons quickly got rid of my more exotic troops, namely Hippogryph and Pegasi, of which especially the former loss hada heavy impact on the outcome: even a moderate rolling Dragonlance charge threatened to severly wound the tank, if not kill it on charge!

Of course, I made mistakes, too: with maximally aggressive deployment, it may have been possible to put a Hippo in combat by turn 2 (of course, with two turns worth of shooting too); also, leaving the Questor BSB in the larger KotR unit may have saved them, as this time the Challenger Duke showed more than competent at disposing of enemy even outside of the challenge. Though, on the other hand, with poorer rolls I might have lost even more...

All in all after the second battle I fell back to table five to face Warriors of the Dark Gods. Relatively combat-oriented (no Hellcannons!).
      TO BE CONTINUED
      Files
      • B2T6bW.jpg

(467.62 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by Glonojad ().

• So, I've finished the second battle report.

The third battle was against Warriors of the Dark Gods with more or less following composition:

Chaos Lord on Manticore
      L4 Sorcerer

Chaos BSB on Manticore (yeah, a flying T5 W4 BSB)
      L2 Sorcerer

20-25 Warriors of Nurgle
      20 Marauders
      2x5 dogs
      2 chariots
      3 Juggers
      Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

One of the wizards (possibly Lord) had Tzeentch, the other - Heavens, and I think there may have bin a Wizarding Hast with Fire too (but am not sure of that).

DEPLOYMENT, SCOUTS, VANGUARD:

B3T0W.jpg

TURN ONE

Warriors of the Dark Gods deployed all at once, claiming the right for the first turn.

B3T1aW.jpgB3T1aZOOMW.jpg

Warriors moved their light units quickly, trying to block my movements and force my move - though with strong magic, perhaps, they could have waited, I had little time for this battle and my friend agreed to mobilize for a quick fight.

I've overdone the vanguard move and a chariot charged a Yeoman unit, fortunately killing only two but braking them nevertheless; perhaps I should have fled the charge really). Magic got one of the Pegasi in the meantime.

Equitaine

B3T1bW.jpg

I've reacted with some bold moves too. As the chariot refused to pursue, I've charged it with my Hipogriff. Errants cleared the Hounds for the Knights of the Realm, while the Grail Knights, taking full risk of a potential Juggernaught charge, moved in to clear the hounds on the east flank. Yeomen moved in to block the large Warriors of Pestilence unit, while damaged pegasi moved behind the enemy lines to look for potential rear charges.

In combat both hound units were slain; the Hippogriff Duke, however, failed to destroy the Chariot - and exposed himself for a countercharge.

TURN TWO

Warriors of the Dark Gods

B3T2aW.jpg

Pestilence Warriors took the bait and went for the Yeomen unit, while the Hippogriff Duke had to endure a charge by another chariot and a Manticore - mounted BSB. On the right flank, a massive charge of brass behomoths and a dragon-ogre Shaggoth struck ... at the smaller Grail Knight unit!

Magic all but destroyed Knights Errant.

In combat Yeomen got destroyed, but Warriors didn't try to overrun into Errants not to risk a flank charge from the Ducal Guard, so reformed; the Hippogriff Duke withstood impact hits and challenged the BSB, thus eliminating the chariots from combat (which had the downside of not being able to wound them neither) and managed to stay in combat with both Duke and BSB handy.

Quite miraculously, the Grail Knights not only withstand the thundering charge (Shaggoth failed to kill a single knight!) but killed one of the Juggers, balancing the loss of three of their ownand passing the break test as Steadfast.

Equitaine

B3T2bW.jpg

The previous turn opened the way for multiple charges, I just had to select appropriate targets.

On the right flank there was no decision really, only a hope dice wouldn't fail me like they like to do.

On the left the decision was more difficult: I could try to save the Hippogryph Duke with the Ducal Guard, but then the combat between Knights of the Realm and the Warriors might end in different ways, and a Steadfast Break Save was almost assured. That I could not risk.

Another reason to consider was the positioning of Chaos Lord - with no assurance that the Ducal Guard would break the combat (remember that there already was one Challenge being fought there!), I would have to risk a high chance of a rear charge by another Manticore - with no possibilty to move the Duke to intercept as per the current Make Way rules (I am not sure if the First Rank didn't come as a problem either).

All things considered, bearing in mind this was a Capture the Flag scenario, I've concentrated charges on the Warriors - quite costly - unit, hoping for the Hippogryph to prevail - or at least, not lose too soon.

Combats turned out not as optimistic as I hoped. Although I did brake the Warriors on some absurd negative break test, several Ducal Guard fell to their Great Weapons. As the larger lance chased them down, I reformed the Duke and his remaining bodyguard to face the Manticore's general approach vector.

On the right Grail Knights wounded a Juggernaut several times, but failed to remove another model from the game why Shaggoth made short work from all the other Knights from the smaller unit. WDG passed their break test in this combat, and we went to what Equitaine likes most - grinding ! :p

TURN THREE

Warriors of the Dark Gods

B3T3aW.jpg

Warriors didn't have much battleworthy units left, so Manticore landed before my general, screaming a challenge. This I have accepted and charged, but neither my Duke nor Chaos Lord managed to succesfully harm the enemy and this combat ended with no winner.

In combat, Grail Knights managed to kill another Juggernaut and finally break the WDG units, scoring me several fun victory points!

In the center, however, Manticore finally ripped the Hippogryph Duke to shreds.

The battle ended with a 11:9 draw for me, which, thanks to a 2:1 score in Capture the Flag, was finally counted as a 14:6 victory!

To be continued ... or not :P

The post was edited 3 times, last by Glonojad ().

• I've finished the third report. Unfortunately, as this was the last battle, I don't remember all the details but the score is sure ;)

Overall I claimed a sixth position out of 22 players in this tournament, which is my best result in years really. Obviously this must mean that KoE is now overpowered and I think I know what is going to get nerfed - Grail Knights, as a Gamezone box is somewhere on its way to me... ;)
    • So. I've received my Gamezone package, including a box of Grail Knights (german edition), a Damsel and a Mtd Squire to be turned Castellan.

The Grail Knight box looks like this after opening:

20160828-GKII-1k.jpg

Each model is individually packed in a paper bag, and the whole lot gets into a foam-filled carton box.

Once again I must say that the quality of models is stunning - GZ's website fails to give them any justice!

For example just have a look at the Grail Knight Champion's warhorse:

20160828-GKII-2k.jpg

The barding has freaking stories sculpted on!

(I do have larger pictures, but the attachment size is limited to 100k only...)
    • Okay, let's see if I have this album thing covered...

First, here's a better version of the Grail Knight horse:

And secondly, and more importantly - a Knight of the Realm which is a hybrid of 3rd and 5th edition models :). This was supposed to be just a "refurbishment" of a model painted long ago but, in the end, most of the colours got repainted anyway.

The inspiration for this model is a postcard I received from my brother long ago:

I hope You like him!
    • Thanks guys! :)

Well, I do have a large tower/small keep, but I was told it was better to make pictures with a neutral background.
    • So, I wanted to share some Work In Progress as I've spent quite some time on this project already.

I've been looking for a suitable mount for my "Bohemond" Duke for quite some time - and then I realised I could try to convert the spare 5th edition Hippogriff to fit him! The 5th Edition king will have to wait for the 'griff I currently use to be repainted I guess, as I find him a bit OTT really.

The hardest thing was to sculpt the saddle, as even after changing the pose of the mount the fit was not perfect and I am not a sculptor at all. I hope that with some filing and painting I will be able to cover it up enough so that it doesn't hurt to look at - in the end, 6th edition saddles moulded on horses and were REALLY simple!

Some more details:

To make the pose work I had to make a suitable base. I have little experience with scenic bases, so I decided to go for something simple: I wanted the Hippogriff to start from a corner of a wall, to justify the lowered pose as compared to the original. Other than that the model was quite simple to bend, as I just had to cut one leg a little and fill it back with green stuff.

Hope You like him!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Glonojad: Ort. ().