EoS: public playtesting feedback - Read OP before posting!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

• 2400pts
      4 hours on UB, we got to turn 4 or so where I called it because it was late and he was going to mop me up from that point. I am a casual I don’t know his but I expect ~Expert. My first with Draft don’t know his. Neither of us felt it was balanced. He said his others lists would have destroyed my me (I already felt pretty destroyed…)

EoS
      Knight Commander with Sonnastal
      Captain with BSB Red Ring of Fire
      Wizard lvl 2 Fire
      Preacher with hardened shield, mounted
      2x artificer with long rifle
      2x20 handgunners with long rifle
      1x15 bowmen
      1x13 Imperial cav with lances
      2x5 Reiters with brace of pistols
      3 mortars
      2x5 rangers
      Arcane engine (+1 to Hit, thunderbolt)
      Cannon
      4 Knights of the sun griffon with lance and shield

Haute Elfes
      Prince on Griffon (all upgrades)
      BSB on Griffon (all upgrades)
      Lvl1 shadow on griffon
      Lvl 1 shadow on flame phoenix
      Silver helms with +2 dispel banner
      2x5 reavers
      2 Skycutters
      5 Dragonprinces
      Frostheart phoenix

Prince could reroll all his to hit and to wound rolls (maybe once per game), I had to reroll my armour saves. Another I had to reroll 6s to wound. One had 3++ against shooting, one had 3++ against magic, another had 4++ I think the other also had a ward. All were Fireborn.

I found 4+AS fast cav for elves a bit too much and griffons are very good (S6 ap(1) 5W) opponent agreed.

I was frustrated that militia have bows and not longbows. Cannons are nerfed but flying monster mash is still good. Considering how hard it hits and how mobile it is, why play any other way? I think a flying chariot with a Volley Gun that has Quick to Fire is a bit much. 4W was also an annoying surprise.

I liked the Knight Commander, with a priest and arcane altar he does 4 wounds a turn which is great against cav. He is really the only thing in my army that did anything. His Fast cav destroyed mine. His whole army is striking first, hitting on 2s, S5 min, lots of S6, lots of AP, M9 or flying. His horses hit before my troops. Initiative and striking first matter. Mortars were OK, it was not an ideal matchup. I think cannons are still the way to go though mine did nothing. Heavens really seems the go-to Lore for EoS. The Lore Attribute is a big boost to cannons and the Thunderbolt can come in handy too. I never used the Red Ring of Fire and can’t see ever using it again if I have an Arcane Altar. I can see always using an Arcane Altar.

Dispel Banner is a good Idea (allows no magic armies) but may be under-costed a little with the ability to Support Dispel. 2 Lvl 1s + Icon of Prosaic Days +Dispel Scroll is very strong for its price. I am not sure if it is the cost of the banner so much as that the banner can be taken on cheap units so that it has no opportunity cost or unit tax

The post was edited 8 times, last by EggselentWaffles: Formatting and stewed in my mind ().

• Size of Game 2500 ptsLength of Game (time). 3h/6 turns
      Player Experience Level: TournamentOpponent Experience Level: Tournament
      # of Game With Current Draft:1 # of Game with Current Draft:1
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): nIf opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list): n
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) yIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) y

So, had a game as Eos vs SA yesterday.

My list:
      Prelate on altar, Locket of Sunna, Hardened Shield
      Great Tactitian
      lvl 2 heavens, scroll
      lvl 2 heavens
      Captain, Bsb
      2x48 Spear Infantry, FC
      15 Militia (character bunker)
      40 Imperaial Guard ( one mage here)
      Arcane Engine (Supernatural Reflexes)
      3 x Mortar
      2x Cannons
      Steel Tank

His list:
      Cuatl with extra spell, Life
      Skink high priest, light, scroll
      Bsb, Armour of Destiny
      35 Saurus, spear, Triceratops totem (+1 AS, can not purse/overrun), FC
      4x12 Hunters, Javelins
      35 Temple Guardians, Banner of Speed, FC
      2x2 Spikebacks
      2x Maceosaurus w snake altar (poision)

My plan: Stand in a corner and shoot as many things as I can. When he arrives, try to hold him off. I used the (probably) cheaty thing of putting the "+1 to hit with ranged"-order on my cannons.
      His plan: Put Cuatl in TG, Skink and Bsb in saurus and PUSH dat corner. With Posion on Everything.

Regular Deploy, no scenario.

He chose side, and I deployed Everything at once, putting my mortars off to one side and the rest in a corner behind an impass (If he wanted to dedicate Points to get 60 pts of mortar, fine).

Turn 1: My Magic did nothing but my shooting picked of one Maceosaurus and put 3 wounds on the other. His turn, he pushes with Everything and whiffs magic.

Turn 2: I put my steel tank in some skinks and shuffle the rest around a bit. Magic sees a comet getting scrolled and my cannons kill a spikeback and the last maceosaurus. I break the skinks and are in front of the spear saurus, with the templeguards unable to charge. He charges my steel tank and puts speed of light on his saurus. At this Point we realize that Spears have lethal strike against chariots as well. 2 wounds the first round on the tank.

Turn 3:I charge some skinks, which flee except one that holds for the prelate. I position one of my Spear units in charge position above the impass I´m hiding behind at an angle his TG can´t charge them, hoping to threaten him with a flank charge. Magic sees a comet getting placed and some buffs from the prelate. In combat, he puts 4 wounds on the tank. The prelate kills his skinks.His turn, he shuffles his TG forward and diverts my Spears above the impass with his spikebacks. Shooting puts 3 wounds on my prealte. 3 wounds on the tank in CC, 1 left. His skinks kills a mortar.

Turn 4: I see that his divert with the razordons aint quite good enough, so my spear guys charges the side of his TG, where his Cuatl is standing. I charge chaff with my Spears, and they flee. I push my IG forward so that if he Combat reforms the TG-combat, I get a flank and shove my chariots in buffing position, trying to get enough buffs to kill the Cuatl. Get reroll to wound in magic phase. Shot some spike bakcs with my cannons. Steel tank dies (damn, Spears are good!) and he positions his Spears to charge my Spears. Fair, right? My Spears put 3 wound on the cuatl. In his turn, he charges my Spears and rallys some chaff. He puts down regrowth and light´s protection. the comet coming down, but not really doping much difference. It kills a razordon that had flank charged my Spears engaging the TG. In cc,he kills a bunch of Spears, I kill a few saurus and I hold. My other Spears finish of the cuatl, but the TG holds.

Turn 5: More grinding and I charge my Arcane Engine into the saurus, hoping for good impac hits (gets 2). My Imperial guard is still threatening his TG, but not charging their front yet. Some buffs go down, all combats hold, he reforms up his TG to finish of the spears. In his turn he finishes off the Spears and reforms back to face the IG. Rest of the combat holds, grinding

Turn 6: My IG turns their back against the TG and go Three wide (so that they can´t get to the mage, and I keep stubborn). Some buffs in magic. Shooting doesnt do much. after the cc my Spears against his saurus are down to 14 of my guys vs 5 of his + characters. In his turn he charges the IG in the back. In cc he finishes of the Spears, which break. Since he has the totem, he can´t follow. He is at this Point down to 3 Saurus and the charcters.

Result: About a draw, with ca 1100 pts to both.

Thoughts on EoS:
      * I love the Power lelvel of Eos, It seems very reasonable. Nothing is too good on its own, but can have a lot of synergy, without feeling to powerful. I Think this book is at a very good Place Power-wise. You are Always struggeling, but alwyas have something to do about it, which I like.
      * The great tactician is a marvelous general, improving the infantry game a good deal which makes core ok. I Think he is only supposed to order parent or support unit, but it was not clear. otherwise he is near an auto-include when you´re playing cannons or volley guns.
      * Prelate on altar is very strong and versitile. Do not feel broken, but is very good. For me, nearly auto-include.
      * Cannons seems ok, even with the nerf. Hitting on 4+ is mostly ok, especially when you have the attribute from heavens to make it reliable.
      * Mortars are ok, they have some matches were they do nothing, but some were they rock (elves, VS). Fair for 60 pts.
      * Spears are now a strong chioice. Halberds are no longer the only choice, which I like. Ap1 is huge!
      * IG didnt do much, and they still die very easily. I like where they are, they feel elite enough for Empire.
      * Steel tank still solid, aswell as the arcane enginge. Maybe thunderbolt is a too good bound spell? Hitting with GW in initiative is great for IG(even though I forgot it)

Thoughts on SA:
      *Saurus with Spears are now a very strong choice for fighting core. They can now be a threat to anything, which is nice. With hatred and light-buffs, they are very good.
      *Skinks are still good, but a lot easier to handle just 4 units instead of 8.
      *Maceosaurus didnt contribute with much due to dying so easily, but they seems good, especially as their poision now stacks (giving both units poision on 5+). I´m not sure it should stack, seems too strong.
      *TG did what they usually doo, they are good Power-wise.
      *Spikebacks seem a little too good for their points. They were ok when they costed the same and had volleygun rules (i.e. getting an extra -1 to hit 1/3 of the time). Now a small price increase seems warranted (+5 ppm?)
      Square bases, happy faces!

ETC Team Sweden 2016 - Infernal Dwarves
      ETC Team Sweden 2017 - Infernal Dwarves
      WTC Team Sweden 2018 - Empire of Sonnstahl
      ETC Team Bulgaria 2018 (as Mercenary) - Vampire Covenant

UN SW

Tournament Support

Tournament Analysist

The post was edited 1 time, last by Maelstorm ().

• Hello

I did a tournament last week with a lot of verryyyyyyy good french players and this is my impressions

My List (V0.9.3)

Great Tactician : Lance ; The winter Cloak ; hardened shield; ; Great Griffon
      Archiwizard : Talisman of Supreme Shielding ; Arcane Autel ; Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

Captain: Plate Armour ; Ghost Helm ; Shield ; Battle Standard Bearer
      Cleric : Amour of the age ; Heavy Weapon
      Inquisitor : Mithril Mail

49 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Shield ; Full Command
      20 Light Infantry Battalion : musician
      10 Militia Corps: Bow ; Skirmishers
      15 Militia Corps: musician

5 Imperial Reiter Calvary: Heavy Armour; Braces of Pistols; Musician
      5 Templar : [b]Full Command[/b]

Black Powdered War Machine Mortar
      Rocket Launcher
      3 Knights of the sun griffon : lance and shield ; Full Command

My impressions:

Great Tactician was very usefull. 2 orders per turn is awesome. He is hard to kill with his 4W and T5. Ld9 is quite good. He managed to kill 2 beast of slannesh, 10 Sylvan archer, 3 kurnous who charged him (thank you the winter cload ^^) => he is not a fighting caracter, but a support caracter, never forget it. Again the dwarf, he never saw a fight because there were heavy weapon everywhere !

Archiwizard on Arcane Engine should be strange, but he is hard to kill. On the 3 games, he never died. I only use less than 3 dice for cast each spell, and miscasts did nothing. Path of light is very strong for human.

My Captain has a 2+ and parry rules. Not easy to kill, but he died against a demon of slannesh (6 attacks S6... outch) He can give order too and Brace For Impact! or Steady Men! are very very powerfull. Specially with BSB.

Cleric are essential. They give Hatred to caracters too !

Inquisitor give RM2 and -1 to cast. And he is a good caracter killer. Lethal Strike and Multiple Wound D3... are good ! He killed a Thane in a challenge, then a champion, then a other champion. My enemy didn't want to accept with his runic lord ^^"

49 Heavy Infantry Battalion is a good choice.

20 Light Infantry Battalion with Order is very strong. They kill so many units !

10 Militia Corps with Bow are bad choice because, i used to take them in V8 to be bodyguard of a wizard. But I tried to used them to redirect. But 2 units of 5 would be better. I forgot that I could take them by 5 (in V8 was 10 minimum)

15 Militia Corps: were good redirector, but unit of 5 militia should be better in this role. They killed 2 kurnous, and gave me one turn more for shooting.

5 Imperial Reiter Calvary nice, I love them. Heavy Armour is usefull and WYSIWYG ^^

5 Templar : [b]Full Command[/b] are very powerfull and fast. I prefer to pay 45 more than classic cav to get +5A, +1 WS, +1S and +1Ini.

Mortar did nothing, but I was very bad scatter dice ^^"

Rocket Launcher is very powerfull with luck. I killed one Dwarf Engeneer and a Slannesh hero. I thing for the next game to take an engineer to reroll the scatter dice and it will be more effective.

[b]3 Knights of the sun griffon [/b]are less powerfull than before, because of 2 dangerous test by model, and the 2+ instead of 1+. I think they are a little bit more expensive for now.

About Rules :

2 dangerous test by model (cav) are too strong I thing. All wounds I lost on my Griffon, templar and KFC were dangerous test !!! They are over price because of this rules. [i]Or we could be allowed to make save armour ?[/i]

In all battlefield I saw, there were a lot of forest, field, water and ruins ... so a lot of dangerous test for cav ! I lost all my unit of templar on a huge overun in a ruin ...

V9 souldn't be a game where the battlefield and the randomly terrain give a winner and a looser in the first turn.
    • 1500 pts (Empire of Sonnstahl vs Vermin Swarm)Length of Game 3 hours
      Casual; 15+ years experienceBeginner
      # of Game With Current Draft: 1 (v0.11)# of Game with Current Draft: 1
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list) nIf opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list) n
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) yIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n) y

Results Summary: EoS 1575 victory points to Vermin Swarm 1234 victory points;

EoS by 341 points, Major Win (23%)

Battleline Deployment, no secondary objectives.

EoS
      Captain
      Wizard (lvl 2, lore of light)
      Artificer with longrifle

30 Halberdiers
      10 Crossbows
      11 Handguns
      12 Handguns

6 Knightly Orders
      5 Reiters (repeater handguns)
      Mortar

Volley Gun

Vermin Swarm
      Chief
      Rakachit Engineer
      Assassin

40ish Rat at arms
      20 Vermin Guard
      20 Plague Brotherhood
      2 Weapon Teams (naptha and globe launcher)

4 Vermin Hulks

My local gaming groups first game of 9th Age. My wizard miscast and blew up first turn, so I got to try out the recent changes to magic with no wizard and was very pleased with results, it seems the magical "cold-war" of every edition of Warhammer I ever played has been mitigated significantly.

Artificer very effective at sniping weapon teams at short range. (+1 to hit, -2 hard cover: 4+ to hit, 2+ to wound)

Otherwise an not terribly noteworthy game of rats rushing a gunline. Heavy cavalry carried the day in the end for the EoS, with only the hulks left opposing. Was quite close, as only the knights, reiters and artificer remained of my force.

Gun-lines are boring, but was a good game for learning 9th Age.

The post was edited 1 time, last by RancidWalrus ().

• Hi guys,

I 've tested last week end, this compo of gunline type.

Some comments after the result :

Size of Game3 games of 2h45
      Victory points and army21(total) game 1 : 3; game 2 : 10; game 3 : 8.
      Player Experience Levelfrequently makes tournament
      # of Game With Current Draftcurrent draft
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)If opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n)
      Your most valuable unitOpponents most valuable unit
      Your least valuable unitOpponents least valuable unit

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

opponent lvl : a really good player in the first game, good players in two last games.

My list :

LORD 375
      marshal 90, general, great tactician 30 pts, seasoned general 10; 130
      archiwizard 175, level4 35, dispell scroll 35 path of alchemy; 245

hero 344
      Captain 60: BSB 25; blessed armour of frederick the great 35; Lucky Charm 5; Great Weapon 4, 129
      artificer 50, long rifle 15 65
      artificer 50, long rifle 15 65
      inquisitor 55, locket of sunna 30, 85

core 600
      10 light infantry, handgun(free), veteran(+1/model), musician champion 20, long rifle 10, 130
      10 light infantry, handgun(free), musician standard bearer 20, 100
      40 heavy infantery battalion EMC hallebarde(1pt/model) 270
      5 militia korps bow skirmishers 50
      5 militia korps bow skirmishers 50

spe 570
      1 rocket battery 130
      1 rocket battery 130
      5 imperial rangers 50
      arcane engine 130, arcane shield(free) 130
      arcane engine 130, forseeing(free) 130

rare 520
      stank 300
      1 heavy artillery canonn 100
      1 heavy artillery volley gun weapon 120

So last week I faced 3 opponents, 2 Dread and one high born elf.

First game againt dread elf (alias :pendi):

Many corsairs, lvl4 dark magic, medusas, harpies, raven cloaks, harpies. I divide the table in two, I try to shot and defend what is in one side, I focus my fire power on corsairs, harpies and medusas, the dread elf cloak is strong, assassins too.

The war machine+magic did all the work,A really good fire power style for Empire ! I think hand gunners need something to change when we compare them to crossbow, in one side AP1 and the other+6ps range, maybe instead of ap1 str5, or range 28 ps, I need to think more about that to give ideas.

we both take equal points in army but he has the objective, so a 5-5 move to 7 - 3 and he wins :)

result : 3-7

game 2 against highborn elf (meta) :
      a full dragon, a fire phoenix with some sisters, ambush etc ...

It's a no match, my war machines+ long rifle(that rework is delicious) works great, dragons and phoenix falls, he took me my militia, I take the objective and a large majority of his army.

result 10-0

game 3 againt dread elf (lake - a bold guy ).

Executioners, khain altar, dreal elf cloak, many corsairs, raptor chariot.

Here there is a large impassable in the middle of the table, I force him to split his army in two again. He has bery bad luck during this game, warp his lvl4 turn1, not succeed some saves and it's drama for the elf, I take a certain part of his army but he tooks me only my militia.

result : 8 - 2

Some comments on my units :

marshal : a field general, definitly not a fight character, orders are great !

archiwizard : a classic guy for a classic role. The magic feel ok.

captain : saw like one of two close fight against elf peasant.

artificer long rifle : the rework of long rifle is delicious, the engineer rule is ok, but I don't see the point in the master engineer rule, to me it's not attractive, I think we can make something with him and the gun powder !

inquisitor : a strange character, always a witch hunter, never like never other specialisation. It's an option guy, I think we could put him rm3 instead of 2 to make him more attractive. The magic mirror, still a disuasive option, nothing more.

handgunners : to make the gunpowder more attractive, need to buff a little the hand gun.

heavy infantery : a core classic decent choice.

militia korps : redirection jobs, a little cost, they are ok.

rocket battery : artillery in empire, our last place to live :)

rangers : love that little guys !

arcane engine forseeing/arcane shield : expansive, did their job, but a little cost reduction and they ll feet !

stank : as said before, it's an anvil, 300 points for that, I dunno it's costly effective.

cannon : might classic of the Empire, please don't nerf him again.

volley gun : a balance dissuasive machine, much missfire, balance.

Feel free to ask for questions.

See you arround !

Leith
    • Size of Game: 2400Time 1 games at 3 hours
      Victory points and army10:0 Eos:HE
      Player Experience LevelIntermediate
      # of Game With Current Draft1
      If you played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)If opponent played any modifications from Current Draft (please list)
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n): yesIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n): yes
      Your most valuable: CannonsOpponents most valuable: Swordmasters and Reapers
      Your least valuable: Griffon RidersOpponents least valuable: Unsure

Here is a description of the possible responses for "Experience Level" above. Please be honest in your assessment of your skills: there is no shame in being a casual player, and we are trying to design a game that will appeal to both Casual and Tournament players alike.

My List: 2400 points

Lords: 2
      1 grand tactician-hardened shield, full plate, general
      1 imperial prince-mount griffon, dragonscale helmet, shield, locket of sunna, sprout of regrowth

Heroes: 3
      1 captain-BSB, armor of frederick, great weapon
      1 lvl 2 mage-heaven-dispel scroll
      1 lvl 2 mage-heaven, book of arcane power

Core: 3
      44 spearmen-standard and champion, banner of unity
      20 crossbowmen-champion w rifle
      20 crossbowmen-champion w rifle

Special: 3
      5 reiters-braces, heavy armor, musician

Rare: 4
      2 great cannon
      3 demigriffon knight, lance and shield, standard
      3 demigriffon knight, lance and shield, standard

Opponent HE List

Lords: 1
      1 prince-mithril armor, great weapon, amethyst crystal, master of canreig tower

Heroes: 1
      1 commander-BSB, queens companion, bow of elu, lion's fur, heavy armor, great weapon

Core: 2
      29 seaguards-heavy armor, standard and champion, banner of becalming
      18 seaguards-ambusher, standard

Special: 10
      10 lion guard-skirmishers (general here)
      10 lion guard-skirmishers
      10 swordmasters
      10 swordmasters
      3 reapers w/ repeating shots
      3 lion chariots

Rare: 1
      1 phoenix-ice

Both Players Intermediate Level players

Only significant terran was each side got a hill. Pitched battle scenario 1. Objectives was the centre marker, a small shrine.

HE player deployed everything first to go first.

Turn 1:

HE move all his infantry forward and his chariots. I wasted a scroll T1, so magic useless. Shooting, 2 units of reiters got annihilated by the reapers, seaguards, and bow.

My turn, not much happened, only spell went through was lighting bolt and killed the phoenix. My cannons killed a chariot and crossbowmen/reiter killed another chariot.

Turn 2:
      Ambushers arrive, moves unit forward a bit more.

Magic was bust, shooting wiped out my last reiter unit and 10 crossbowmen.

My turn, My imperial Prince charges a chariot which flees as a response. Griffon knights each charges a swordmaster unit which both holds.
      My spearmen turns towards the seaguards.

Magic, nothing happened, except can re-roll hit/wound for unharmed crossbowmen. Shooting, cannons kill a reaper and crossbowmen kill 11 seaguards. CC, swordmaster inflict 4 wounds, knights inflict 4 back, no ones breaks. Swordmaster inflict 3 wounds on other battle and knights did 2, no one breaks.

Turn 3:

HE rallies chariot. Lion guards charge general IP out in open. Ambushing Seaguards charges a cannon instead of spearmen. Other seaguard moves in range on spearmen's behind.

Nothing happened in magic, Shooting, 5 crossbowmen died. CC, cannon dies. Swordmaster reduced down inflict 3 wounds again and takes 2 back leaving 4. Other swordmasters inflict 4 wounds and takes 2 back, no one breaks.

Challenge declared, general declines, moved way. Lion guard inflicts 2 wounds (multiwound) on Imperial prince, prince and griffon inflicts 4 in return. No one breaks due to BSB.

My turn, reposition spearmen. and run out the BSB to block other LG from charging IP.

Magic, Lightning bolts and kill 3 LG not in CC. Crossbowmen and cannon destroy remaining chariot. CC, LG inflict no wounds thanks to re-rolled regeneration. Prince and griffon kill another 3, unit breaks. Swordmasters failed to kill the knight leaving 1 wound and took 2 back leaving 2 and other CC, SM kills the knights leaving 5.

Turn 4:
      Other White lions charges BSB. SM moves forward toward spearmen right flank and Seaguards repositions and face spearmen/crossbow right flank.

Nothing happens in magic. Seaguard and reaper kills 10 crossbowmen. SM kill remaining knight. Prince refuses challenges and 2 lion guards gets killed after failing to wound IP leaving just Prince in contact with IP (bloody coward). No one breaks.

BSB receives 6 attacks and takes 1 wound, BSB kills 2 back in response. LG breaks from combat with re-rolled ld. 6 tests (couldn't use Prince's ld.), but didn't get caught.

BSB runs down the LG. Spearmen with great tactician charges the 18 Seaguard with commander in it who stands and shoots down 5.

1 Mage miscasts to land the re-roll hit/wound/AS on spearmen unit, takes a wound. Cannon spray and kill 2 free SM and crossbowmen kill off other SM unit.

Prince and IP challenges, IP inflicts 1 wounds on Prince with reversed stats with distracted hitting. Griffon and Prince each exchange 1 wound. No one flees.

Great tactician declares challenge and commander accepts. Both inflict 1 wound on each other. Seaguards kill 5 wounds on spearmen and spearmen inflict 3. No one breaks.

Turn 5:
      Ambushing seaguard charges the flank of the spearmen. Nothing happens in magic. Reaper kills off one unit of crossbowmen.

IP kills the Prince. Commander wounds general and Commander dies. Seaguards kills 8 spearmen and spearmen inflict 3. Banner of Unit allows steadfast and so holds.

crossbowmen is joined by BSB. IP Prince charges reaper.

Mage casts boosted Comet and killing himself with miscast putting it on the spearmen unit facing two seaguards.

General challenges again, no one accepts. Seaguards kill 7 spearmen while General and spears kill 4, no one flees. Reaper gets killed by IP.

Turn 6:

HE
      Straight CC, Seaguards kill 5 spearmen and take 2 in return.

My turn:
      I run my Crossbowmen as fast as possible towards objective.

Magic, nothing but comet falls wiping out HA seaguards and killing 6 on the flank (leaving 12). Suffered 8 spearmen casualties (leaving 6).
      CC, 2 spearmen died and one spearmen on flank died. No one flees thanks to GT orders of tossing highest dice roll.

Game over:

Alive my side

IP with 1 wound, general 1 wound, 4 spearmen, 16 crossbowmen, BSB 1 wound, 1 cannon objectives.

Their side:
      12 ambushing seaguards.

Massacre victory for me (though easily could've gone the other way)

Definitely defining moment was when LG fled from BSB and comet killing everyone. He wasn't sure if he should have refused the challenge the 3rd time. Yeah, SM and LG are still very strong! My 400 point IP almost got killed by 130 point LG if not for my re-rolls. Totally could've and should've been massacre the other way around since my BSB was not suppose to live, IP should've died, spearmen should've died as well. SM can take a full charge from demigriffion knights and can still win! I don't know about Lion chariots, but I know if they didn't die, I would be toasted. Also got lucky killing Phoenix T1.

*Note I made a mistake, didn't realize crossbowmen cannot have rifles on champions. However, my crossbowmen always fired within 24" so they couldn't been handgunners but I didn't get the extra AP.

The post was edited 3 times, last by drakeavril ().

• Hello !

Size of Game: 25003 hours
      Victory points and army//
      Player Experience LevelIntermediate / Beginner
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n): yesIf opponent felt game was 'generally balanced' (y/n): yes
      Your most valuable: TemplarOpponents most valuable: Swordmasters and Reapers
      Your least valuable: ReitersOpponents least valuable: Unsure

Empire of Sonnstahl VS The Vermin Swarm

Saisonned General : Flamming Lance ; The winter Cloak ; hardened shield; ; Great Griffon
      Archiwizard : lvl 4 Talisman of Supreme Shielding ; Arcane Autel ; Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

Cleric : Amour of the age ; Heavy Weapon
      Inquisitor : Mithril Mail
      Wizard : lvl1 ; Path of Fire
      Artificer : Master ; Reapeter

48 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Shield ; Full Command
      20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Spear
      20 Light Infantry Battalion : musician ; Veterans ; Champion + repeater
      10 Militia Corps: Bow ; musician
      2 x 5 Militia Corps: pistol

5 Imperial Reiter Calvary: Heavy Armour; Braces of Pistols; Musician
      7 Templar : Full Command + Gleaming Icon
      Rocket Launcher
      5 Imperial Archer

I won with 2200VP VS 400VP but there was a huge mistake about a fleeing direction of one of his unit => i shouldn't charge the flank of his general's unit, so they shouldn't break the combat in the next turn ... so i shouldn't win so easily ^^"

It's was his first game of 9th Age. He deployed his unit of Plague Disciples far away of his general and BSB so i managed to redirecting them 4 turn with my unit of imperial Archers :) This unit is perfect !

The Marshal is great, but with a lance, at the start of the 2nd round, S4 is not strong enought. I thing Hammer of Witches could be usefull.

Captain is the best model i have. Break test with the Order (3 dices) and the reroll ... awesome !!
      Counter Charge is awesome and very powerfull with 20 spearmens.

militia corp x5 are great.

I 'm just disappointed with reiters, that did nothing on charge ! 10 attacks Ini10 with S4 AP1 and no wounds... bad luck.

Templar are great, hard to kill and can make a lot of damage if only one rank.
    • So, I tried an all-mounted EoS-list on a mini-tourney. I know that kind of list almost have been written off as unplayably bad, so I wanted to give my take on it.

List:
      Knight Commander, 1+ reroll, Ogre Blade, Lucky Shield
      Prealte, Altar of Battle
      2x Mounted lvl 2 mage, light (one with scroll)
      Mounted BSB, Fear
      Mounted Inquisitor, Locket of Sunna, Razor Blade

2x5 Electoral Cavalry
      15 Imperial Cavalry
      11 Knightly Orders
      5 Knights of the Sun Griffon
      Steam Tank

I faced off against 3 opponenets: The Most Broken SA List Ever (TM), 2-block beastmen, Shooty HE.

This list does two things really well, create threat ranges and take objectives, all the while being close to invurnable to shooting/magic bolts. It has trouble facing elite infantry with higher Ini than 3, but otherwise plays kinda solid. Does not take a lot of Points, but does not loose many either. I usually lost griffons, small Knight units and S-Tank.

Results were
      SA (1-9, due to scenario)
      BH(6-4)
      HE(6-4)

Thoughts on units:
      Knight Commander: Solid. I like the benefits you get from running him, both the core-upgrade and the stubborn of the Knightly Orders. Still the best fighter in the book.
      Mages, BSB: Solid, nothing fancy.
      Prelate: Still one of my favourites in the book. He is good, but not overly so. He brings a lot of utility and synergy to the army, and can be used to hold up things if need be.
      Inquisitor: Probably a bit too cheap as I run him. He is about 130 pts with 1+, AP and Locket, and he makes sure some characters doesn´t even want to come Close to the army. With MR2 and MW3 he is pretty good even without the switching. Maybe a point raise?
      Electoral Cavalry/Imperial Cavalry: Nice for their Points, but they would really need WS4 base. The upgrade could probably be +1S and +1 Ini.
      Knightly Orders: These guys are bonkers. They make the entire KoE army jealous. Solid grinding, hits like a ton of bricks on the charge (especially with hatred) and people are generally very afraid of them. Maybe up 1-2 PPM.
      Steam Tank: Very solid. Is a beast in combat. I happily committed him to a star dragon and died after putting 5 wounds on him. And that was with him being slightly lucky. Now it is a cc-unit with some shooting potential, where in 8th it was the other way around.

Griffons: These guys confuses me. They are still cheap and good, but they suffer alot with their 2+ save. Every time I could not get 5+ ward or any light buffs on them, they died in droves. I really don´t know how to fix them. Or if they need fixing. I guess that if I had been playing them better and more 9th-ish, they would have performed well.
      Square bases, happy faces!

ETC Team Sweden 2016 - Infernal Dwarves
      ETC Team Sweden 2017 - Infernal Dwarves
      WTC Team Sweden 2018 - Empire of Sonnstahl
      ETC Team Bulgaria 2018 (as Mercenary) - Vampire Covenant

UN SW

Tournament Support

Tournament Analysist

The post was edited 1 time, last by Maelstorm ().

• Hello !

Size of Game: 20003 hours
      Victory points and army//
      Player Experience LevelIntermediate
      Your most valuable: Captain / Veteran HandgunnerOpponents most valuable: Abomination / Ratling /Thunder Hulk
      Your least valuable: Templar / Rocket BatterieOpponents least valuable:

Empire of Sonnstahl VS The Vermin Swarm

I try a funny list

Saisonned General : Hammer of witch ; The winter Cloak ; hardened shield;
      Archiwizard : Talisman of Supreme Shielding ; Arcane Autel (shield...) ; Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

Inquisitor : Amour of the age / brace of pistol
      Artificer : Master ; Long rifle

34 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Shield ; Full Command
      20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Spear ; Champion and Battle Standard
      2 x 5 Militia Corps:

2 x 5 Templar : Full Command + Gleaming Icon (for one unit)
      Rocket Launcher

Saisonned General is great, LD9 and 1 Order up to 6" is nice, specially to give +2mvt for militia corps. All my caracters were in the unit of 34 swordmen

Archiwizard is a little expensive because he doest improve the synergie of the army and they have no special rules. I'm OK to pay like elves (in blue tights) 15pts more for +1Ld and +1 to Channel... In my list, great with T5, W5 and 4++ , but i think that Grounding Rod would be more safe for him because i needed to cast with 4 and 5 dices big spells (like BurningBrightness : 14+ it's huge !! it's only 1D6 Hit S6... maybe reduce casting cost and reduce range... 48" don't need => 36" it's OK)

Captain, awesome like always. But i thing i will give him the sword of strength, cheap and good. Leadership test on 3D6 is a must have.

Inquisitor can make the difference : He killed with luck 2 Thunders Hulks in one round with 2 lethal strike and 2x3 wounds. AWESOME HUMAIN ASSASSIN lol I always take one because he can kill a lot of heros and monsters, he increases the combat score !

Artificer made nothing :/ reroll the scatter dice is always good. Maybe too expensive because a naked captain can give order and cost 15 less than. Sure Captain can't reroll the scatter dice, but he give 8Ld !

34 swordmen in ranks of 5 is a good anvil. My objectif was to use my 2 units of templar like Hammer. But One died agains rotary guns and the other manage to capture the secondary objectif.

20 Spearmen is a good unit of support. AP1 is good.

2x5 militia are good redirector, but they need +1 or +2 mvt to be really usefull.

Veteran Handgunners are nice, but agains skavens with The Lightning Rod + spells which give blurry + regen of abomination, they did nothing

Templars did nothing because of heavy shoot on them

Rocket Battery is in fact too hazardous : we should replace the 1D6 hits by 1D3+2 or 2D3 hits. I made 2 hits in this game, but each with 1 hit in the abo and that why my rocket battery did nothing.

Magic :
      Only one wizard, and no cleric... why not.

Path of light : nice but each time i saw battle report, it's shadow, wild, (mouvement) or fire because (offensive power)
      I think that path of light should be more efficient if attribut give +1 Ini (+divine attack, +1Ld) and if the range increase of 18" instead of 12".

About Skavens :

ROtary Gun are OP : 2 unit cost 100 pts ... for 100 pts I have 13 hangunners. Rotary Gun give 7x2 14 shoots each ! 28 shoots agains 13 !!! And they have Hard Target and Heavy Armour, and they can move 5" and shoot. Of course a fireball kills them, but if you don't, it will be a pain in the ass !! I think they have to reduce S4 to S3 with AP1. Or increase the cost a lot.

Same for globe launcher... 14 shoots, which hit most one time on 5+, 5hits => 2,5 deads. (on cavalerie, it's good !)

Magister with Book of Arcane Power on Doom (roll which give +1 to cast) can cast with +4 ... it's huge !

Abomination is OK

It's was a small victory of skavens, because i fail all my dispel roll, he put dangerous test everywhere.
      Files

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ezraen ().

• Hi guys !

I made a tournament in Paris (FR) with very good player (some ETC French team) V0.99

It was a 2500 pts Tournament, with 5 games.

Nobody was afraid of my list ^^ but most of them didn't see detachment rules =)

Saisonned General : Hallebard ; Dragon mantle ; Talisman of Supreme Shielding
      Archiwizard : Talisman of Greater Shielding ; Arcane Autel (shield...) ; Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

Inquisitor : Amour of the age / lucky charm / brace of pistol
      Cleric : Armour of Destiny ; heavy weapon

28 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Shield ; Full Command Banner of Unity
      20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Hallebard without shied ; Champion
      10 Militia Corps: Pistol, skirmisher
      5 Electoral Cavalerie : Lance ; Shield

5 Templar : Full Command + Gleaming Icon
      Rocket Launcher
      Cannon
      5 reiters ; heavy armor ; musician
      25 Imperial Guards : heavy weapons ; standard bearer ; Standard of discipline
      2 x 5 imperial hunter

I finish 5th on 18 players ... :)

My strategy : I have 800 pts of shooting : so I need to wait, kill most of things before be in close combat. And this strategy works.

My characters were hard to kill ... good save for most of them.

• I love Saisonned General because of Veteran Handgunner :) He need to survive (he is the general !) so he need a good armor : 2+/4++ is fu**ing good ! He never died.

• Archwizard on Arcane Altar is the best choice with path of light. Some spells cast in aura of 12". So you need to be in the center of your line. With the distracting aura of the Arcane Altar, it's awesome. And I don't like to put my archwizard in a unit of milia, because if 3 of them died (path of fire? Easy ! )(And the path of fire is the most frenquently path used in the tournament .... please guys, reduce the range of speels) they will run away because of their low Ld stat (8 with the lord). I thing that T5 and a ward same of 5+ is great. He never died and flee only once. He lost only 2 wounds in 5 games
      • Captain : Must have. One order per turn in his unit is great. The ghost Helm is very good, because fear is very powerfull.
      • Inquisitor : The man of the tournament. With his 1+ armor, he is hard to kill.. and which insane general would like challenge him? Lethal Strike, Divine attacks, MWD3... it's awesome ! He killed so many champions and characters ! ^^ I used him like chaff, charge alone, and ensnare lot of unit.
      • Cleric : Must have in Imperial Guard. Hard to kill with his 4++.
      • Artificer : Must have for order. I forgot to shoot with his long rifle most of time... ^^ Reroll the scatter dice is awesome.
      • 30 Heavy infantry : Good for ensnare, steadfast most of time.
      • 20 light infantry veteran : Must have. In the center of my lines and with detachment rules ... very powerfull for bunker formation ^^"
      • 20 heavy infantry with hallebardes : good with counter charge ! Can chaff enemy if they are too many.
      • 10 Militia : good with pistol, not expensive and can kill War Machine. I would like to take them by 5.
      • 5 Electoral Cavalery : Good impact, oblige my enemy to retreat some unit. Luxurious Chaff.
      • Reiters : Too expensive with brace of pistol, so i took them without. They made 2 wounds in Cyclop, 1 wound in a demon prince, killed a Jabbersynth... (beast herds... ) and chaff very well.
      • Templars : veryyy good impact. Good scoring unit.
      • Cannon : very good to kill monsters
      • Rocket Launcher : Very good to kill small skirmisher unit, small cav unit, and monster.
      • Imperial guard : very good with the banner of Discipline to have Ld10 with my general. With cleric and "fight on a extra rank“, they can kill a lot of thing in one round. They destroy (with templar in the flank) a huge unit centaur with 2 heroes in. S6 is great !

I made 10/10 against an dread Elves. I tried to ensnare his unit of 10 Dark acolyt with my 5 electoral cavalery ... and blocked his unit of executers behind them. But He rolled very good dice, and I don't. I wanted a equality (Charge + 1W against 2W in stat... ) but I failed to wound him with S5 on charge... :/ so I lose by one and I made 8 on dice... I run. This move could have bring me victory, because he needed to fast reform his executers and lost 1 turn. During this turn, I could have shot him ...

Then I made 12/8 against a demon player. I managed to used my reiters to focus the demon prince. He took one thing : the unit of Electoral cavalery on a charge of 12...
      My templar killed a unit of demon dogs, and my wizard killed the unit of horror with good blast. I was very far from the center because I wanted to see where his dogs appeared so i deployed in the corner. Then, i moved but he was very defensive demon. There were no real fight during this games. At the end, there were only 8 Slaughterers thanks to shoots ^^

My 3rd game was against Beast Herds. I made 17/3. I managed to chaff a lot of his unit (minotors,...) and my handgunners made me pround. They killed 10 Wildhorn Herd during the second turn, then 7 during the counter Charge, and they failed their charge so ... At the turn 3, I charged with my unit of imperial guard, my swordmens and my templar in the horde of Wildhorn Herd. He killed me a lot of guys, sure, with primal fury and the banner +1 strength , it's freaky ! But my imperial guard and my templar killed so many beast , they auto flee ^^ and i destroy them. At the end I sacrificed my unit of templar against the unit of centaur. Centaur charge them, kills them, overrun and impact my guards. During the last turn, I charge with my hallebard in the flanc. I destroy them.

My most difficult games was against the second demon player, who came fast, and i rolled very bad for shoot and magic. I made 8/12 in this game. He saved every wound on his crusher... I managed to slow down his unit of Slaughterers but in the end, I lost because of secondary objectif.

My 5th game was nice. I won 17/3 against Highborn Elves. He was very defensive and hidden his frost Phenix because of my cannon and my rocket battery. He cast a burning gaze with 5 dices, miscast, and died in warp. And he did nothing to my wizard thanks to T5 ^^. My handgunners scare a lot, So nobody were in the center. He couldn't take the center, and with order, +2M is very nice to take position.

I really enjoy this list, love Inquisitor, templars and handgunners ! Try them, and love them :)

I love detachment rules and orders : this is the spirit of EoS !

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ezraen ().

• Hi guys !

I played vs a friend who tried a dwarf tournament List. So i used my tournament list again, but without banner of Unity because this item is too situational.

Saisonned General : Hallebard ; Dragon mantle ; Talisman of Supreme Shielding
      Archiwizard : Talisman of Greater Shielding ; Arcane Autel (shield...) ; Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

31 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Shield ; Full Command
      20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Hallebard without shied ; Champion
      5 Electoral Cavalerie : Lance ; Shield

Rocket Launcher
      Cannon
      5 reiters ; heavy armor ; musician
      26 Imperial Guards : heavy weapons ; Full Command ; Standard of discipline
      2 x 5 imperial hunter

His list :
      Runic Master 3+/4++
      Thane BSB
      2 x Engineer

25 Greybeards ; FC ; vanguard ;
      2 x 11 Clan Marksmen

30 King’s Guard ; FC
      Steam Copter
      Cannon
      2 x Organ Gun

Vengeance Seeker
      Hold Guardians ; FC
      Anvil of Power

Classic deployment ; Breakthrough

Like always, I started to deploy my unit of militia, then my unit of hallebarde, each on the flank, to disturb my opponent. So he deployed a lot of his unit on the left flank, protected by a forest.
      => I decided to deploy a lot of my unit in the center, off range of his organ gun and crossbow :)

I think that 30% of the game is made with the deployment. I had a huge advantage with my deployment, because I had a lot of his unit in range, and he don't. He had to move his war machine.
      I used Order +2Mouvment to run fast with my swordmen, to reach his deployment zone on the right.
      20 veteran Handgunners with champion are costly (220 pts for stupid human who die easily) but they are very powerfull. They killed 6 King's Guard in one shooting phase.

I won the game thanks to my deployement : there were a ruin in the middle, just in front of his king's Guard. He had to move to reach the secondary objectif, so he tried to charge my unit of Imperial guard. I Stand and Shoot with my Handgunners : I made 4 dead more. He managed to charge my unit, but 3 King's Guard died with dangerous test. => then my hallebarde charge them in the flank.

I really love the detachment rules, and it's not OP because we have to play very carefully, because the effect range is low (6") and often reform parent units to be sure to see the flank of the enemy.

The spell Time Warp (light) against dwarf is very powerful, specially if casted on Imperial Guard with heavy Weapons.
      => they killed the unit of greybeards before they stroke.

I won 19/1

In this game, my inquisitor did nothing, I wanted to use him like CHAFF, but he was too far away.
      But my Rocket Battery managed to do 4 wounds on the Hold Guardians on the turn 4 and 4 wounds on the turn 5 => when you make 5 hits each times, it's help ! But if you don't, this War Machine is not very impressive.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ezraen ().

• Hey folks,

Here are my two cents after testing this Empire army.

Size of Game2500pts
      Player XPTournaments
      Opponent XPIntermediate
      Draft versions0.11 and 0.99
      Played VSUD, VC, SA and DE
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced'Yes
      Your most valuable unitRangers - I always get bang for their bucks
      Your least valuable unitLight Infantry

First of all, kudo to the RT/ABC teams. They did an amazing job balancing all the armybooks. The EoS army (the one I played the most in 9th Age) is incredibly pleasant to play, because pretty much all the units are performing well and there is a lot of synergy between them.

There are only 3 units that are underperforming IMO: Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry and Electoral Cavalry. Let's dig in details:

Knight Commander: I didn't played it in 9th Age, but seems an interesting choice.

Marshal: Perhaps one of the least interesting Lord character. I didn't tried the Prince, but SM for veteran soldiers is an investment a little too costly. GT is appealing at first sight, but once you test it, you realise the Orders are "nice", but they very rarely give you a competitive advantage (pretty much only when coupled with Imperial Guard). We don't want anything gamebreak, but there is something lacking here. Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas of Orders, it's what I have been waiting for a long time since I started to play WHB. It's just that, it doesn't bring your Heavy Infantry and Light Infantry at a level where they become a decent threat for your opponent. And the detachment rules don't help much as well, it can even bring negative CR... Gasp!!

Archiwizard: I didn't played it, always preferred 2 lvl 2 for the flexibility and balance they bring. I'm not the kind of player who gather his eggs in the same basket.

Prelate: Works well, on foot or on Altar, it's always a serious choice, for a decent amount of points.

Captain: Solid BSB. Can be interesting as a chaff or small unit hunter when naked on horse.

Artificer: It's not a bad choice, even though I don't like paying 55pts to make my warmachine more effective (it's 50% point increase!), but can prove worthy and eventually carry a Fire Ring to threathen warmachine hunters.

Wizard: Works well and good diversity of spells coupled with Blessings and other Bounds spells. All the lore (Death the least) are interesting.

Preacher: Works well, even though I would tend to pay 20pts more for +1W +1Ld and +1 cast Blessings.

Inquisitor: Dies too easily in challenges, even with the Locket of Sunna. An interesting character for the options it gives you at the beginning of every game, but quickly in competition with more reliable characters choices: Captain BSB, Prelate, Wizards. Potentially a threat with Lethal Strike and Multiple Wounds, but the 2A quickly brings you down to earth again.

Light Infantry: The poorest unit of EoS. Touches on 5+ most of the time, so over 6 turns it's about 21 hits... jeez 21 hits S4 for 80 static point that cannot score secondary objectives... I'll pass! Forget them against skirmishers or anything that has a cover, forget them if they move. They can't defend themselves, they are poor protectors of warmachines. I hate gunlines for having played pure CC armies for a long time, but those guys really underperform, and it's not the Orders to help. Multiple solutions could be found: decrease their points, give them bonuses to hit, give them as an upgrade for the first rank of a Heavy Infantry unit. They need a fix.

Heavy Infantry: It's hard to complain about their profile, they are human infantry after all. It's hard to complain about their price, 80pts for 20 guys is a fair deal. Detachments and Orders are very appealing on the paper, but it implies the cost of a Marshal, and as I wrote above, Marshal are not the best character choices. So without the Marshal they are lacking, but with the Marshal's investment they end up costing more and therefore lacking as well. Orders and Detachment rules are also less impressive on Heavy Infantry than on Imperial Guards. Needless to say that Fight in Extra Rank with S6 is much better than with S3. I don't think Orders or Detachment rules need a fix, but maybe the Heavy Infantry should be a little solid right from the beginning. For example to have the Heavy Armour without a point increase. Or maybe by allowing the Captain to give Orders within 6" and Marshal within 12" (Great Tactician within 18" then).

State Militia: Handy. Pistol looks good on paper, but it's not that easy to get the bang for their bucks. Pistol can be interesting to avoid your Opponent Fast Cav's infiltration. They act as diverters and naked skirmishers are just enough. With bows they are handy to protect your wizards in the background.

Electoral Cavalry: They work fine, but it's such a pitty, you can't play a bigger pack of them without the Imperial Cavalry option. WS3 is really indecent and they even hit warmachines on 4+. Please, give them WS4 (and eventually I4) without point increase, it won't hurt anybody. Like some other players said, they lack synergy with the rest of the army (Orders? Knight Commander additional bonuses?).

Imperial Guard: Work well, especially with a captain inside, because the Orders adds this little extra that makes them solid and threathening enough. I didn't played them without Great Weapon (even thought they could be interesting), but Empire really need a unit with S6 to compensate the poor CC performance of Heavy Infantry.

Imperial Rangers: The last point increase was justified and they are perfectly balanced now. You have your word to say in the Scout phase, their shooting ability is nice to have. Bottom line: very handy.

Knightly Orders: Solid cavalry unit, that suffers the competition with all the other Special choices. They end up balanced and still dangerous to the opponent if they are 6. Can be a good scoring unit when equipped with Battle Standard.

Reiters: Work well, they bring in speed even though they are fragile. The Brace of Pistol is a little too expensive now. Why not making the Heavy Armour autoinclude? All the models have that! The Repeater Gun version doesn't work IMO, but frankly I didn't dare testing them with it.

Flagellants: Work well. Deal a good amount of damages in CC, but die easily as well. Require a baby sitter to avoid your opponent using the counter part of Frenzy. I find them balanced, even though their maximum number could be reduced to 30 or 35 models.

Cannon: The 9th Age rules makes them easier to play and straightforward, but strategically wise, the old cannon line template that can pass over multiple units was more interesting. Hits less than the old cannon rules, but solid agains Large Targets. Works well but, but... I don't know what but there is something that could be better.

Mortar: Versatile warmachine. The last build is much better, however it is far from being gamebreak and it suffers the competition with other warmachines. A slight point decrease could help. Or maybe a more significant point decrease but a template of 3" instead of 5"?

Volley Gun: Short range, but efficient. Works well and counterbalances the poor shooting skills of Light Infantry.

Rocket Battery: Can perform remarkably well or very poorly. Tempted to include an Engineer to increase its reliability but 185pts for potiential 1 hit (on the 1D6) is just too costly.

Knights of the Sun Griffon: Ok choice when they are 3, but rapidly lose their threat potential. Better when 4 or 5, but their huge footprint makes them hard to play on some tables. I would include Lance and Shield for no price increase.

Arcane Engine: I prefer Arcane Shield option over Foreseeing for a better synergy with Imperial Guards. Nice Channel special rule. A slight point reduction wouldn't hurt (maybe 10pts?), for a LT with 5+ armour only.

Steam Tank: Not bad and less costly, but a little too nerfed in the last draft.

I'll finish this post thanking the devoted team of passionates WHB players who offered us the chance to play this fantastically balanced game!

Cheers,
    • Hi guys !

I tried a new list with the 0.9.5 version.

Size of Game2500pts
      Player XPIntermediate
      Opponent XPIntermediate
      Draft versions0.9.5
      Played VSDE, KoE, S
      If you felt game was 'generally balanced'Yes
      Your most valuable unitLight Infantry (veteran handgunners)
      Your least valuable unitStank

Saisonned General : Hammer of Witches ; Hardened Shield ; Winter Cloak ; Great Griffon
      Archiwizard : Dispel Scroll ; Path of Light

Captain: Plate Armour ; Ghost Helm ; Shield ; Battle Standard Bearer ; courage banner ; Dusk Stone

20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : Hallebard without shied
      [i]10 Militia Corps: Pistol, skirmisher[/i]
      [i]10 Militia Corps: Bow, skirmisher
      [/i]5 Electoral Cavalerie : Lance ; Shield

5 reiters ; heavy armor ; Brace of pistol
      Mortier
      25 Imperial Guards : heavy weapons ; Full Command ; Standard of discipline

Stank

I played against a Dread Elves (with a dragon, a hydre, a kraken, a manticore and a pegasus) and I lost 17/3
      Then I played against a kingdom of Equitaine and I lost 14/6
      Then I played against a saurian (1 alpha Carno, 2 Carno, 2 Stygiosaur) and I lost 15/5

There is a similarity between these 3 games, I failed 90% of my Ld test and my opponents don't.

About my units :

My general on griffon cost 30pts less the previously version. He has a good impact, hit most of time on 3+ or 2+. He his "immune" to path of fire, which is good. I just roll very bad dice to hit and to wound, it was crazy. But Hammer of witches would have AP(1) and it will be great.

My archiwizard was great, but I prefer him on Heliobolis.

Captain : great defense, never die
      Preacher : great defense, never die. Bound Spell help when I rolled good wind
      Inquisitor : great defense, die twice because I rolled very bad dice. Luxurious Chaff
      Artificier : the long rifle is great, but if we can choose a different target than the unit, it would be better for this price.

20 Heavy Infantry Battalion : they failed their terror test each time. 7 or 9 reroll.

20 Light Infantry Battalion Veteran : I love this unit, it's a expensive unit but If you managed to slow down the ennemy, they can shoot turing 4/5 turns, and kill a lots of models ! I love them. I think that the classic version is too expensive. Maybe reduce the normal unit by 1pt and then increase the veteran version by 3pts instead of 2pts.

Cavalry : no so bad, but they need WS4. I think I could increase the number to 7 or 8 knights.

10 Militia Corps with pistol are great, they cost 70 pts, can slow down enemies, redirect them, and kills some model. 10 shoots, who hit lost of time on 5+ (because of long range) will make 3/4 hits, and kills 2 models most of times. I take it. But they have a bad Ld, and terror test without the Ld of the general and they will failed most of time. Same for rally test. Stupid bowmen from KoE can use the Ld of knight so they have Ld8 most of time.

10 Militia Corps with bow are useless. I put my wizard in this unit, they take a large place behind my line. 24" of range is too short. If they killed one model during my 3 games, I'm happy. Reduce the point of bow to 1pt per model.
      I prefer Imperial Hunter, less expensive, better chaff, but they are special choice.
      To compar KoS Bowmen cost the same (60pts) , can have Ld8 easily, and they are protected by a small wall. If you charge them with a unit of cavalry, they will make dangerous test, and if it's a unit of 5 model in the front, you have 85% to lost a guy. To kill a unit of 50 pts. And they have longbow.

5 Templars : still great, good impact, one of my favorite unit. Except when they failed Ld test all the time.

5 reiters : I follow advices from EoS players, and I didn't take Musicien. If you do so, they need to be in range of the BSB or general, because they must pass their Ld tests. Now brace of pistol can be taken because of the decrease of their cost. Nice ! Thank. I really appreciate this unit because they can kill other Chaff, WM, small unit if we roll well. (I don't during the tournament ^^")

Mortier : great WM, you can focus Monsters, Monstrous type, Char, or large infantry unit. Range is great. During my 3 games, it kill 2 graal knights, few model (peasant, corsair...) and nothing else because of lot of misfire. But i'm still thinking that it's a good WM thanks to his versatility.

25 Imperials guards : good impact, they only see one combat, they charge a unit of knight of the realms on flanc, but my opponent managed to do his Ld4 test. With the standard of discipline it's better.
      Be carefull of the rule of bodyguard, and if you refuse a challenge. I saw this in the game next to me.

Stank : useless if it takes 3 wounds. See my point of view on the topic (tank super nerf)
      Large Target and Random Movement make it difficult to hide. It lost 6 wounds with 4 shoots of bolt throwers. Then it couldn't move, and will die alone.
      He managed to kill a unit of questing knight, because they stroke after it.
      When your opponent is smart, he knows that if he makes 3 wounds, the Stank will become weak.

I had a lot of bad luck during this tournament, but I think that my point of view is objectif.

If I had to make some change...

-remove the unit of bowmen
      -add some core knights and take a standard because I only had 2.
      -remove the Stank
      -put the wizard on Altar (lightening reflex) => I loved the Time warp spell thank to lightening reflexes, but now, I can't use this spell, except against otherworldly.
      -add a cannon

• I just played an EoS game after awhile. I really like what they did with the characters. They are simplified. Core looks great. There are lot's of combinations. The special is competitive. The artillery and shooting restrictions don't feel that restrictive. I really like 1.3. I'll have another Empire game versus ID loaded up to Evershade Gaming in a day or so.
      Evershade Gaming on YouTube youtube.com/channel/UCKjjkWnXanizMuTh5obkxpA

theforgottenturtle.com An Awesome Painting Blog
    • My summary of the units in the book I feel need a change off the back of 30+ games so far in the new version.

Orders - These are solid. I still think ready aim fire needs a rework though to be +1 to hit at long range and maybe quick to fire at short range (reducing unwieldy by 1 if you want to move)?

Support Rules - Solid in principle but needs some tweaks. Insignificance. Sharing of prayers. Maybe increase the support unit size slightly

Marshal - Needs to be split back into hero and lord version. That the upgrades cost the same for a BSB and a non-BSB seems crazy. Paying for LD 9 on a BSB is also not ideal. And it makes the pegasus and Griffon upgrades costing so much not as viable I feel.

Artificer - When this model is on a horse it should be able to give ready aim fire to a unit of Reiters

Pegasus - Too expensive for what it gives

Griffon - Slightly too expensive (maybe 20 points)

Heavy Infantry - Need the option for heavy armour to bring them in line with Chaos Warriors, Dwarf Warriors, Saurian and others

Light Infantry - Far too expensive. No reason to take over light infantry personally

Imperial Guard - Toughness 4.... please... Toughness 4! If flagellants can get it for being crazy then IG should get it for being hard as nails

Knighlty Orders - Small point reduction would help seeing them on the table over Knight of the Sun Griffons

Rangers - Point reduction or BS5. POison as an option potentially?

Arcane Engine - More protection needed. Price raise would be fair if so.

Steam Tank - Removal of the table. Option to remove the cannon and make them not one of a kind.

Playtester

EoS Community Support

Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
      Team Scotland ETC 2018 - Captain

Twitter - @Fthunder89
    • Fthundercock wrote:

My summary of the units in the book I feel need a change off the back of 30+ games so far in the new version.

Orders - These are solid. I still think ready aim fire needs a rework though to be +1 to hit at long range and maybe quick to fire at short range (reducing unwieldy by 1 if you want to move)?
      Maybe give accurate instead of the 6" range? Not quite a +1 to hit but will give some good bonuses at long range which is where we need help hitting.
      Evershade Gaming on YouTube youtube.com/channel/UCKjjkWnXanizMuTh5obkxpA

theforgottenturtle.com An Awesome Painting Blog
    • SadlerCPII wrote:

Fthundercock wrote:

My summary of the units in the book I feel need a change off the back of 30+ games so far in the new version.

Maybe give accurate instead of the 6" range? Not quite a +1 to hit but will give some good bonuses at long range which is where we need help hitting.
      That would be an elegant fix

Playtester

EoS Community Support

Team Wales ETC 2017 - Beast Herds
      Team Scotland ETC 2018 - Captain

Twitter - @Fthunder89
    • Fthundercock wrote:

Heavy Infantry - Need the option for heavy armour to bring them in line with Chaos Warriors, Dwarf Warriors, Saurian and others
      Why should EoS heavy infantry be on line with Chaos Warriors, Dwarf Warriors and Saurian Warrios? Surely you are trolling here?

Fthundercock wrote:

Imperial Guard - Toughness 4.... please... Toughness 4! If flagellants can get it for being crazy then IG should get it for being hard as nails
      No. These guys should not have toughness 4. They are human infantry. Flagellants have toughness 4 because they are used to pain (self inflicting etc), the fluff behind this is actually quite strong. Maybe you are trolling?

Fthundercock wrote:

Rangers - Point reduction or BS5. POison as an option potentially?
      Ahaha. Compare this to 40 ppm Pathfinders. Rangers are perfectly fine. Human archers with BS5? More trolling I guess.

Fthundercock wrote:

This would easily make it too powerful. The extra range is already very powerful if used correctly. Range 36 crossbows? Yes please.