Petter's Painting, Fiction & Worldbuilding Thread ID, VOID, KoE, BH, DH, VC (I have a lot of armies, okay!?)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Due to a temporary issue, avatars are currently disabled. Don't worry, this is known and looked at!

• Dragonfish Clan Speardwarves

A lot more personable and well... hostile than the Boar Clan, the Dragonfish Clan lives among the river-dense foothills of the Hammerhold mountain, making their living from fishing and aquafarming of their eponymous Dragonfish, a fierce, ell-like fish with far too many teeth for its size and a tangy, bitter taste that dwarves seem to have a preference for.

Much like the insular Boar Clan, the warriors of the Dragonfish fight in the common tight dwarven shieldwall but unlike the heavier, longer spears of the underground phalanxes they instead use short stabbing spears, well suited to a mobile style of fighting in the rough terrain of the foothills.

The Dragonfish Clan are held in higher favout by the Holder dwarves as while the march into combat under a Dragonfish standard they worship the same great five Ancestor Gods as the dwarves of Hammerhold:
      The Maker

The Queen
      The King/The Champion (differs depending on Hold)
      The Worker
      The Seer
      Still they draw inspiration from their dragonfish banner, seeking to emulate its cage of sharp teeth, immobilizing larger foes with many short spears, allowing others to deliver the deathblow.

The Dragonfish Clan takes their responsibility to provide a warrior militia when called for with the utmost seriousness, often having their contingent led by the Clan's matriarch and her highest ranking husband.
      As a possibly unrelated trivia, Dragonfish matriarchs seldom live to see the old ages common to other ruling women.

Apart from their fishing, the Dragonfish are well-known in the Hold for their excellent work in making and decorating war helmets, which are often sold to Hammerhold dwarves for large sums.

Like many of the lesser clans, the DragonFish have a few unique traditions of their own. of note is that they consider a woman showing her bare face to be a sign of intimacy. As such Dragonfish women wear elaborate masks in public when they come of age; a young dwarfess trying to show that she is open to courting might wear a small half-mask covering only her eyes, while a mighty matriarch, secure in her absolute power will wear a elaborate mask of silver and pearl that covers her entire face, being recognized by her community be her mask more than her actual face.

This tradition carries over even to warfare with female Dragonfish warriors going into battle wearing finely wrought steel masks attached to their helmets, it being highly improper to show their face to the enemy.

Yours in trust,

Krugman Bartliebhafer, Imperial Scholar.

Dwarven Clans, the lesser known Holds, forts, and villages. Vol III
      I haz a blog! the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.p…-the-moment-aslo-batreps/.

Mostly KoE and ID stuff. Now also some Void
    • I mostly skimmed pages 1-30 due to lacking images and links. It made it hard to get context to a lot of the written text. You should update the links for sure. This thread is awesome.

I loved the dedication (background, detail to attention and artwork), I would love to see it all and read the whole backlog.

Your dwarfs are just too great appetizers.

Petterwass wrote:

BTW, for anyone wondering. I'm not coming back to 9th Age anytime soon. I am thoroughly disillusioned with both the devs and the direction the rules are going.
      That said, I do still like my dorfs and have a bunch both unpainted and some painted that I haven't posted here before. And since people seem to enjoy them somewhat, I will try to slowly paint and post everything I have for my dorfs, if only because i quite enjoy writing it.
      You are already here. :P In my opinion world builders like yourself is what T9A needs.
    • Little Joe wrote:

I mostly skimmed pages 1-30 due to lacking images and links. It made it hard to get context to a lot of the written text. You should update the links for sure. This thread is awesome.

I loved the dedication (background, detail to attention and artwork), I would love to see it all and read the whole backlog.

Soooooo annoying that all the links broke! Most of them aren't even that old!
      I guess I should go back and replace them from facebook when I have the energy, at least those should stay stable.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll see how much energy I have when I get home from work.

• Glonojad wrote:

If You're no longer playing T9A, do You (plan to) use Your dwarfs to play something else?
      Atm I'm doing mostly 40K (because I saw a cool set of 3rd party Sisters of Battle and well... one thing led to another and not I got 1700p of them...) so there's not much to use them as.
      The plan is mostly to keep them around the look pretty and to stand ready should I feel the Fantasy bug once again. Who knows, in 5 years maybe GW will release a AoS 3.0 that will actually be a good game? Hope lives eternal.

• Little Joe wrote:

I mostly skimmed pages 1-30 due to lacking images and links. It made it hard to get context to a lot of the written text. You should update the links for sure. This thread is awesome.

Might be interesting to know that I just finished going through the entire thread and replacing all broken links I could find (except the battöe reports, those are lost forever). So the thread should be good again

• Petterwass wrote:

Little Joe wrote:

Might be interesting to know that I just finished going through the entire thread and replacing all broken links I could find (except the battöe reports, those are lost forever). So the thread should be good again
      Yes, working again, going to read it all later on.
    • Dwarven Artillery and Engineers

My noble patrons have made no pretense that one of the main reasons for their sponsorship of myself is to try and ferret out the secrets behind the devastating dwarven warmachines that have devastated so many imperial battleline in the last war.
      While far from as deadly as the tales once tell that is was, dwarven metalcrafting is a highly accomplished art and their warmachines are no less expertly crafted than any other of the weapons they wield.

Mortar

Mortars are greatly feared for their ability to explode deep in a pike square, flinging dead bodies and shards of metal in all directions.
      While not complicated; merely a metal tube packed with explosive powder, launching a metal sphere filled with more of the same and fitted with a fuse, dwarf engineers have the almost supernatural skill that comes with decades of training and use when it comes to calculating the fuse time. As such dwarven mortar shells rarely embed themselves in the ground or explode prematurely, like a young nobleman bedding his first harlot.

In typical dwarven fashion, expert enginering is further enhanced with fine runecraft; the runes around the muzzle imparting extra momentum upon the shell, allowing the mortar to easily outrange any human attempts at counter-battery fire. I have even heard tell of larger such mortars, set in place in the walls of the Hold itself than can impart enough momentum into it's shells to fire almost to the horizon!

The gem-studded device at the front is a crude control device for said runes, enabling a skilled rune-gunner to tailor the amount of additional kinetic energy to their needs, so as to not overshoot their targets.

(The runes reads "explosion" for no reason other than I though it looked too plain without them)

Organ Cannon

There are very few of the common warmachines that instill such terror as a Organ Cannon, infamous for its ability to mow down entire ranks of infantry or stop a cavalry charge dead in its tracks amidst a mess of broken horses and men, in a single volley.

The dwarven version of such is far more simple than the temperamental imperial one, eschewing complicated clockwork-assisted rotary arrays of cannon for the simple solution of a number of cannon (often ranging three to six) in a line. As such a dwarven volley will not penetrate as deeply as a imperial one but instead sweep all across the front of a formation.
      As benefits its simplicity, dwarven Organ Cannon rarely malfunction and unlike out own complicated clockwork arrays, never lock up because a gear fell out of arrangement!

Protected behind a heavy shielded mantle of metalclad wood, the swarven gunners may as such fire with almost impunity from shotte and arrow, a vital ability given the limited range of the smaller barrels a Organ Cannon is fitted with.
      Should the gunners be wealthy enough, they will often pay a Rune Mistress, Rune Priest, or a Runesmith to inscribe runes of protection unto the shield, hardening it against incoming fire and lightening its weight, so as to make it easy to maneuver into position.
      So enchanted, a dwarven Organ Cannon in a surprisingly nimble piece, often able to keep up with advancing dwarven infantry and provide close-ranged fire support where needed. It can also be hitched to either Cave Beasts or hardy ponies (depending on if fighting above or below the ground) if the call is sounded to make a hasty retreat. For that reason alone, a dwarven Organ Cannon is rarely captured by the foe in any but the most confused routs.

(Runes along the front reads "protection")

The cannon barrels are also often inscribed with runes to enhance their durability during continuous firing where a imperial cannon would weaken and bend. Accuracy is often of lesser importance for a Organ Cannon than simply filling the enemy frontlines with a hail of lead, but even so dwarven gunners and artillery engineers are skilled marksmen even with such a crude device.

(The ones on the barrels read "Fire on my command!" for no reason other than it being the right amount of characters)

Bear-mounted Cannon

While by no means a common practice, the engineers of Hammerhold have a ancient tradition of taming bears and using them to haul heavy munitions as well as deterring enemy warmachine hunters.
      In the woodcut you can see above, you can see two brave engineers who captured a bear cub during their initiation ritual and trained it to actually carry a small cannon on its back.

A dwarven cannon, especially one as light is this, hardly differs much from its imperial counterpart apart from a much longer range than one would expect from its short barrel, due to runic enhancement.
      The presence of a armoured bear however means that this particular light cannon can redeploy with great speed and easily see off light skirmishers.

The engineers in question have rightly gained in status from having tamed such a mighty beast and have both used it to secure a gainful marriage for themselves, both to the same dwarfess no less!
      Their gold-trimmed robes denote their high status for males, as do their richly decorated tools of their trade.

While a bear-mounted cannon naturally cannot carry as much spare shotte as a stationary one can pile up near it, the bear is still strong enough to carry enough for several reloads of solid shotte and the bags hung from the platform hold a great many small metal balls to be fired as grapeshotte at close range, preferably after using their bear-enhanced mobility to approach a enemy flank.

And while they are loathe to risk it, in desperation the armoured bear itself is a magnificent weapon.

Dwarves in general have a great many animal cults worshipping the great cave bears to gain their power, a animal that in the early days of the world often warred with the dwarves for choice cave systems and underground resources. But with the Maker's gift of metalcrafting, the dwarves gained the upper hand and now cave bears are bred for their meat, which is considered a delicacy (though far to strong of taste for my palate) and wild ones are sometimes captured and broken to the bridle as a wasteful but impressive beast of burden or of war.

But most dwarves have little affinity for the beasts and often feel uneasy in their presence, likely a primeval remain of having evolved from a prey species to the bear.

Engineers

Dwarven Master Engineers often accompany their artillery hosts to war, not only to repair any warmachines that break from stress but also to mix improved powder mixes, build bridges to cross rivers or even raise entire temporary fortifications, for the education and skills of a Master Engineer are multifaceted and deeper than most human engineers will ever be able to reach in a lifetime.