Petter's Painting, Fiction & Worldbuilding Thread ID, VOID, KoE, BH, DH, VC (I have a lot of armies, okay!?)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

Dragonfish Clan Speardwarves

A lot more personable and well... hostile than the Boar Clan, the Dragonfish Clan lives among the river-dense foothills of the Hammerhold mountain, making their living from fishing and aquafarming of their eponymous Dragonfish, a fierce, ell-like fish with far too many teeth for its size and a tangy, bitter taste that dwarves seem to have a preference for.

Much like the insular Boar Clan, the warriors of the Dragonfish fight in the common tight dwarven shieldwall but unlike the heavier, longer spears of the underground phalanxes they instead use short stabbing spears, well suited to a mobile style of fighting in the rough terrain of the foothills.

The Dragonfish Clan are held in higher favout by the Holder dwarves as while the march into combat under a Dragonfish standard they worship the same great five Ancestor Gods as the dwarves of Hammerhold:
      The Maker

The Queen
      The King/The Champion (differs depending on Hold)
      The Worker
      The Seer
      Still they draw inspiration from their dragonfish banner, seeking to emulate its cage of sharp teeth, immobilizing larger foes with many short spears, allowing others to deliver the deathblow.

The Dragonfish Clan takes their responsibility to provide a warrior militia when called for with the utmost seriousness, often having their contingent led by the Clan's matriarch and her highest ranking husband.
      As a possibly unrelated trivia, Dragonfish matriarchs seldom live to see the old ages common to other ruling women.

Apart from their fishing, the Dragonfish are well-known in the Hold for their excellent work in making and decorating war helmets, which are often sold to Hammerhold dwarves for large sums.

Like many of the lesser clans, the DragonFish have a few unique traditions of their own. of note is that they consider a woman showing her bare face to be a sign of intimacy. As such Dragonfish women wear elaborate masks in public when they come of age; a young dwarfess trying to show that she is open to courting might wear a small half-mask covering only her eyes, while a mighty matriarch, secure in her absolute power will wear a elaborate mask of silver and pearl that covers her entire face, being recognized by her community be her mask more than her actual face.

This tradition carries over even to warfare with female Dragonfish warriors going into battle wearing finely wrought steel masks attached to their helmets, it being highly improper to show their face to the enemy.

Yours in trust,

Krugman Bartliebhafer, Imperial Scholar.

Dwarven Clans, the lesser known Holds, forts, and villages. Vol III
      I haz a blog! the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.p…-the-moment-aslo-batreps/.

Mostly KoE and ID stuff. Now also some Void
    • New

I mostly skimmed pages 1-30 due to lacking images and links. It made it hard to get context to a lot of the written text. You should update the links for sure. This thread is awesome.

I loved the dedication (background, detail to attention and artwork), I would love to see it all and read the whole backlog.

Your dwarfs are just too great appetizers.

Petterwass wrote:

BTW, for anyone wondering. I'm not coming back to 9th Age anytime soon. I am thoroughly disillusioned with both the devs and the direction the rules are going.
      That said, I do still like my dorfs and have a bunch both unpainted and some painted that I haven't posted here before. And since people seem to enjoy them somewhat, I will try to slowly paint and post everything I have for my dorfs, if only because i quite enjoy writing it.
      You are already here. :P In my opinion world builders like yourself is what T9A needs.
    • New

Little Joe wrote:

I mostly skimmed pages 1-30 due to lacking images and links. It made it hard to get context to a lot of the written text. You should update the links for sure. This thread is awesome.

I loved the dedication (background, detail to attention and artwork), I would love to see it all and read the whole backlog.

Your dwarfs are just too great appetizers.
      Soooooo annoying that all the links broke! Most of them aren't even that old!
      I guess I should go back and replace them from facebook when I have the energy, at least those should stay stable.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll see how much energy I have when I get home from work.

• New

Glonojad wrote:

If You're no longer playing T9A, do You (plan to) use Your dwarfs to play something else?
      Atm I'm doing mostly 40K (because I saw a cool set of 3rd party Sisters of Battle and well... one thing led to another and not I got 1700p of them...) so there's not much to use them as.
      The plan is mostly to keep them around the look pretty and to stand ready should I feel the Fantasy bug once again. Who knows, in 5 years maybe GW will release a AoS 3.0 that will actually be a good game? Hope lives eternal.