Pinned Beast Herds - RT poll

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Beast Herds - RT poll

A common complaint, and something the rules writers agrees with, is that armies have lost much of their character. Too many armies are good at everything. Armies lack clear strengths/weaknesses, and many armies lack play styles that the players feel should be possible with the army. When we get around to major overhauls of the armybooks, we want to give these things more attention, and give each army as much unique character as we can. To do this, we need to have a clear picture of what each army's strengths and weaknesses should be. We are now looking for community input on the matter. Please vote here before August 30th.

Note than weaknesses are as important (maybe even more) as strengths when building character for the army. An army that has everything is not very characterful (unless "jack of all trades" is the theme of the army).

Also note that this poll is only a single piece of the puzzle to establish the army's play styles and strengths/weaknesses. In addition to community input, we need to make sure no two armies have the same combinations of strengths and weaknesses (we want all armies to be unique). We then also need to consider if certain combinations of strengths or weaknesses cause balance problems or create "unfun" armies. Lastly we need to run this through the T9A fluff, making sure the armies fit their backgrounds.
    All this means that the end results of this poll will not necessarily correspond to what strengths and weaknesses the armies then actually end up with when they are given new armybooks, but we hope we will be able to follow the community's wishes closely.
    - Head of Rules Team -
    - Assistant Head of Rules Clarity Team-

The post was edited 1 time, last by fjugin ().

• STRENGTHS​ 163
      MOBILITY - Deployment (ambush, scout, vanguard) (148) 91%
      DEFENSE - Toughness (113) 69%
      COMBAT - First-combat-turn damage capacitiy (105) 64%
      COMBAT - Continuated damage output ("grinding") (82) 50%
      MOBILITY - Speed (75) 46%
      MOBILITY - Maneuverability (ability to change direction) (72) 44%
      DEFENSE - Strength in numbers (many low-quality wounds, including raising) (59) 36%
      SUPPORT - Magic spells (buff/debuff) (55) 34%
      LEADERSHIP - Bubble Ld (units are brave when close to general/BSB) (51) 31%
      SUPPORT - Intrinsical inter-unit synergy (33) 20%
      SUPPORT - Buff wagons, unit-enhancing characters and items (27) 17%
      SUPPORT (friendlies) - Magic (18) 11%
      RANGED - Offensive magic, smaller damaging spells (Fireball and similar, "Small arms spells") (17) 10%
      RANGED - Small arms fire (lots of low strength shooting models, bows, crossbows etc) (12) 7%
      SUPPORT - Debuff wagons, unit-de-enhancing characters and items (11) 7%
      RANGED - Maneuverable shooting (9) 6%
      DEFENSE - Avoiding hits (7) 4%
      LEADERSHIP - Ignore morale (ITP, unstable etc) (3) 2%
      LEADERSHIP - Unit's Ld independence (units are brave when alone) (2) 1%
      RANGED - Offensive magic, single big devastating spells ("Heavy arms spells") (1) 1%
      RANGED - Medium arms fire (Few medium strength shootin models, bombardiers, rotary guns, ignoters etc) (1) 1%
      DEFENSE - Special Saves (1) 1%
      DEFENSE - Armour (0) 0%
      RANGED - Heavy arms fire (war machines and artillery weapons) (0) 0%
    Which qualities do you think this army should be among the better armies at? I.e. which should be the armies strengths?
    Pick maximum 6 choices.
    - Head of Rules Team -
  • WEAKNESSES 163
      DEFENSE - Armour (145) 89%
      RANGED - Heavy arms fire (war machines and artillery weapons) (144) 88%
      RANGED - Medium arms fire (Few medium strength shootin models, bombardiers, rotary guns, ignoters etc) (144) 88%
      LEADERSHIP - Unit's Ld independence (units are brave when alone) (118) 72%
      RANGED - Offensive magic, single big devastating spells ("Heavy arms spells") (90) 55%
      DEFENSE - Avoiding hits (88) 54%
      DEFENSE - Special Saves (85) 52%
      LEADERSHIP - Ignore morale (ITP, unstable etc) (85) 52%
      RANGED - Small arms fire (lots of low strength shooting models, bows, crossbows etc) (82) 50%
      RANGED - Maneuverable shooting (70) 43%
      SUPPORT - Buff wagons, unit-enhancing characters and items (42) 26%
      SUPPORT - Debuff wagons, unit-de-enhancing characters and items (41) 25%
      RANGED - Offensive magic, smaller damaging spells (Fireball and similar, "Small arms spells") (41) 25%
      LEADERSHIP - Bubble Ld (units are brave when close to general/BSB) (21) 13%
      COMBAT - Continuated damage output ("grinding") (21) 13%
      MOBILITY - Speed (17) 10%
      SUPPORT - Intrinsical inter-unit synergy (15) 9%
      MOBILITY - Maneuverability (ability to change direction) (14) 9%
      COMBAT - First-combat-turn damage capacitiy (8) 5%
      SUPPORT (friendlies) - Magic (6) 4%
      DEFENSE - Strength in numbers (many low-quality wounds, including raising) (6) 4%
      SUPPORT - Magic spells (buff/debuff) (4) 2%
      DEFENSE - Toughness (3) 2%
      MOBILITY - Deployment (ambush, scout, vanguard) (1) 1%
    Which qualities do you think this army should be among the better worse at? I.e. which should be the armies weaknesses?
    Pick 10 choices (picking less that required amount of options only means that the people who comply with this get more power).
    - Head of Rules Team -
  • Preferred play styles 180
      Gerilla fighting (ambush, scout etc) (142) 79%
      Infantry based (115) 64%
      Monstruos Infantry/cavalry/beast based (112) 62%
      Single-model based ("monster mash") (74) 41%
      Big main block + many support ("deathstar") (24) 13%
      Mixed arms/jack of all trades - master of none (23) 13%
      Avoidance (13) 7%
      Flying circus (3) 2%
      Cavalry based (2) 1%
      Other, leave comment (1) 1%
      Gunline (0) 0%
    Which play styles should be the the go-to play styles of the army?
    Other plays styles could still be possible, but with less possible variations on the builds and less competitive.
    - Head of Rules Team -
  • Unavailable play styles 175
      Gunline (159) 91%
      Flying circus (136) 78%
      Cavalry based (110) 63%
      Avoidance (84) 48%
      Mixed arms/jack of all trades - master of none (62) 35%
      Big main block + many support ("deathstar") (37) 21%
      Single-model based ("monster mash") (14) 8%
      Monstruos Infantry/cavalry/beast based (6) 3%
      Gerilla fighting (ambush, scout etc) (5) 3%
      Other, leave comment (3) 2%
      Infantry based (0) 0%
    Which play styles should NOT be the possible with the army? Note that units of given types/play styles could still be available, it would just not be possible to base an entire army around it.
    Pick at least 3 (picking less that required amount of options only means that the people who comply with this get more power).
    - Head of Rules Team -
  • I think beastmen should have best monsters in the game. Monsters, and hit and run guerrilla tactics.

Imagine big monsters do the heavy lifting, while the dudes in ambush poke the enemy with sticks until they're dead.

Make Ambush good again! lol
    Dawmons My Record

Dwarves vs. Vermin Swarm • 2 wins - 3 losses
    KoE vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 1 losses
    Highborn Elves vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 1 losses
    EoS vs. Infernal Dwarves • 0 wins - 2 losses
    SA vs. Orcs & Goblins • 1 win - 0 losses
    Highborn Elves vs. Warriors of the Dark Gods • 1 win - 0 losses
    Dwarves vs. Warriors of the Dark Gods • 1 win - 0 losses
    Daemons vs. EoS • 1 win - 0 losses
  • First of all I'd reduce the availability of itp for every armies and stubborn too. Those rules kind of takes away the point of outmanouvering your opponent.

Centaurs are our cavalry so I wouldn't limit access to them and on the subject of death stars I think all armies would benefit if those are limited across the board.

I like the current playstyle of beast herds. Low armour and mediocre initiative on all units really pushes players to think what they do with their army. I'm still in the learning process myself and the results have all over the place. :)
    All things wargaming. My super entertaining hobby blog where anything wargaming related can happen.

"I heard a television interviewer once suggest that the use of dice made battlegaming on par with Snakes and Ladders and such like games of change. Well, he was being just stupid, or trying to take a rise out of his guest. It is in fact the imponderable which does give reality to 'Battle' and, as we shall see, does cause the players to make proper allowance for the unlikely or even seemingly impossible, which, as we read, did happen surprisingly frequently in the annals of war."
    -Charles Grant
  • I know this post is old, but since 9th age team is working on Gold edition we may want some more feedback :)

We have been talking a lot during US tournaments, and issue for Beast Herd is low Discipline for chaff and independent unit.
    In US big monster are "hot" right now, and because of all terror, break, panic test Best Herd is really difficult to handle.

General can not support all units... and that can end up really badly :(
    I would be happy to have a mount with "towering presence" for example! Or have an item like Ogres to extend General LD.

But one point come back often is Crown for General, if we extend his leadership bubble it should not increase "auto primal instinct" on same time, would be to much.