Goblin Ecology

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• I would like to suggest that maybe it should not be entirely clear how the orcs and goblins reproduce.
    Given that it would be hard to ask an orc (and that they may not care), and that the human scholars have little clue, I find that it could be nice to leave this part out from the backstory, adding to the mystery. This would give players room to interpreted there one view.

Regarding squigs. This might be a species that have a definitive fungi reproduction.

Btw, I believe that trolls and giants are not part of the greenskin race and reproduce much like we do.
  • I had another thought. I do not know if anybody talked/thought about it. Maby even me :P?? But no matter. If we stay with fungus based/related biology for O&G (I am assuming for this argument and hoping we will) than it actually do not explain greenskins green color. Most fungi do not contain clorophile that is main source of green in plants. There are some greenish mushrooms but only parts of them has this color. So if O&G biology is purerly fungi related they should be in fact diferent color. Maby greyish?

There is of course explanation of O&G greeneness quite common in Earths ecology. Another case of symbiosis. Since we assume O&G are symbiotic creatures adding another lifeform to mixe of even hundereds of fungi living in symbiosis with animal organism should not be a problem. My main candidate would be algae. They are green and comonly form symbiotic bonds with other organisms. In fact Lichens are exactly what we need symbiotic organisms of fungi and algae (althou most of them are not green). Similarly green sea slugs have symbiotic relationship with algae (and they are green :D).

This is rising interesting question. What is a nature of this symbiosis? Algae propably gets coumpounds it needs from animal or fungus parts as well as protection from animals it would usually feed on it. But what it gives in return? Most propably energy from photosynthesis in the manner similar to process used by aftermentioned green sea slug. This would mean that greenskins could, if exposed to light, live for extended periods of time without food or on very VERY limited rations, since their bodies would use energy provided by algae photosynthesis. This would be very good explanation on how massive WAAAAGH!!! population can survive for extended campaigns (I did some reserch a while ago and come up with some numbers, showing that in old lore some WAAARGHS!!! lasted for several years, and if WAAARGH!!! should be threat to area bigger than week march distance this problem need to be adressed) with little to none provisions outside what they are able to loot and pillage (and seeing as greanskins are prone to destroing and burning everything they come across and not thinking about things like logistics, this would not be much).

Just some thoughts as usual :D.

Best regards
    Sklodo
    Best regards
    Sklodo

Retireing for unspecyfied period of time. Sometime I hate the world.
  • I always saw them as synthetic organism gone out of control of its makers. Not a single species, but a group of species, a traveling self sufficient ecosystem. While this makes more sense in 40K, I think it would be interesting to expand upon.

In the context of 40K lore, Orks (known as Kroark at the time) were created by the Old Ones , probably before the war with Necrons. When the War with Necrons started the Kroark were changed to fight, and thus the Orks were born. As the Old Ones disappeared control of the Orks was lost.

So why create a traveling ecosystem. The most obvious answer I came up is to do terraforming for you. Spores are launched into space, and when they land on inhospitable worlds they spread and change the landscape to match the worlds the Old Ones wanted, Terra like. If spores landed on a colonized world, supposedly the Old Ones would be there to control them and keep them from spreading.

The actual Orc/Goblin/Squig species are a part of a ecosystem and serve the same function as do the Lymphocite cells in a human immune system. My idea is that the Orc/Goblin/Squig species were modified when the war with Necrons started to be much more aggressive and dominant in the ecosystem. With the loss of Old Ones to control them, the aggressive nature of Orcs and Goblins was unchecked and now they behave as what would be a autoimmune disease or leukemia, a immune system out of control.

The Orks themselves are dual natured: the ecosystem/immunesystem part of their organism where they want to protect their ecosystem and deal with any invaders, and the animal part in which they are individually ambitious.
  • Personally I like the idea of Gnashers as a distinct species from greenskins and originally totally independent. Their relations with gobbos are the same the gobbos have with spiders and wolves.

In my mind gobbos are extremely adaptable, so they can relate and interact with animals in different ecosystems. I would love to see in the future more gobbos related to different, brand new ecosystems such as desert gobbos riding ratsnakes, for example.

Display Spoiler

A jackal, O Karna, residing in the forest in the midst of hares regardeth himself a lion till he actually sees a lion.

Armies of Fluff: because narration is important - a blog about fluffing your army.
    Armies of Fluff: repository of my unofficial short stories and excerpts

:WDG_bw: :VC: :O&G: :EoS: :BH: :DE: :KoE:
  • Ghremdal wrote:

I always saw them as synthetic organism gone out of control of its makers. Not a single species, but a group of species, a traveling self sufficient ecosystem. While this makes more sense in 40K, I think it would be interesting to expand upon.

In the context of 40K lore, Orks (known as Kroark at the time) were created by the Old Ones , probably before the war with Necrons. When the War with Necrons started the Kroark were changed to fight, and thus the Orks were born. As the Old Ones disappeared control of the Orks was lost.

So why create a traveling ecosystem. The most obvious answer I came up is to do terraforming for you. Spores are launched into space, and when they land on inhospitable worlds they spread and change the landscape to match the worlds the Old Ones wanted, Terra like. If spores landed on a colonized world, supposedly the Old Ones would be there to control them and keep them from spreading.

The actual Orc/Goblin/Squig species are a part of a ecosystem and serve the same function as do the Lymphocite cells in a human immune system. My idea is that the Orc/Goblin/Squig species were modified when the war with Necrons started to be much more aggressive and dominant in the ecosystem. With the loss of Old Ones to control them, the aggressive nature of Orcs and Goblins was unchecked and now they behave as what would be a autoimmune disease or leukemia, a immune system out of control.

The Orks themselves are dual natured: the ecosystem/immunesystem part of their organism where they want to protect their ecosystem and deal with any invaders, and the animal part in which they are individually ambitious.
    Well this is Wh40k lore. This can be useful as sme base but does not fit directly into 9th age. Unless you asumme 9th age is a planet in Wh40k universe and hence can be "infected by greenskins".

In reality we can preatty much ignore where O&G came from from the lore perspective. With mediveval/renesanse level of knowledge nobody knows (maby elves or saurians have some magic based thery but that is all). Question is how it looks like for people. We can name Greenskins fungus based lifeforms or symbionts. But for People of 9th age they will be just green, dangerous creatures with afinity for violence, that apear from nowhere, multiply very fast just digging themselfs out of the ground and eat suprisingly little for their size.

Best regards
    Sklodo
    Best regards
    Sklodo

Retireing for unspecyfied period of time. Sometime I hate the world.
  • Shlagrabak wrote:

@Ghremdal but that's heavily relying on the existence of terraformation, space navigation, Old Ones, and Necrons, which are not tied to a fantasy world (not mentioning that some of this is GW IP).

What is the idea that you would extract from this for the 9th age, exactly?
    If I was in charge of creating the 9th age OnG fluff, I would use what I stated as a basis but never stated out loud. Instead I would focus what kind of effects does such a ecology have on the OnG society. I believe you eventually want stories about and with Orc and Goblin characters, so the ecology basis will enable me to answer these questions:

1) What does a individual OnG character want. What sets him apart?
    2) How do the OnG interact with other races. Especially peaceful interaction.
    3) How does the collective (horde) mentality clash with individuality
    4) How does OnG society work, and what makes it similar to human based societies, what sets it apart.
  • I hope that the common goal will be to have more depth to the O&G race than just a bashing warmongering horde.
    It would be nice to depict a more complex view of the greenskins, with traders, diplomats, alliances and such.

As Ghremdal stated,

Ghremdal wrote:

4) How does OnG society work, and what makes it similar to human based societies, what sets it apart.
    I would like to get a feel for the orcs and goblins responsible for making weapons, cocking food or building ships.