Goblin Ecology

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Goblin Ecology

Many years ago an article called „Goblin Ecology“ was published in the “White Dwarf and later on in the “Warhammer Chronicles – Vol. 1”.
    The Author Kevin J. Coleman introduced 3 new types of goblins:
    • Fire Kobolds
    • Troglagobs
    • Hill Goblins
    • Dust Goblins
    You can find an overview here and here.

I like the new types because of their background-story and their skills.

What do you think? Should they be a part of the Orcs & Goblins armybook?

Translation Team - German

United we stand, divided we fall. Together we are what we can't be alone!
  • Lots and lots of fun ideas. Most of them are propably material for expansion of some kind. Many of thoseare very particuglar and limited to very specyfic lore/setting (like whole chaos dwarf/black orc combination). But there are a lot of things that could be useful. I particulary liked gigant Hill troll. This would be nice way to fix trolls problems by adding something like that to rare. And it would also be a nice oportunity to use this river troll hag model:). Some of those units seemed a little forced. Like chaos goblins or fire cobolds. But dustgoblins raised very interesting question. What happens when necromancer try to rise greenskin. If their fungal biology will remain part if the lore this is basically making undead mushroom? How should that work really :)?

Best regards
    1. Sklodo
    Best regards
    Sklodo

Retireing for unspecyfied period of time. Sometime I hate the world.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Sklodo ().

• This is a splendid suggestion, in the spirit of the Gnoblar Hordes (lovely thing, that too). Thanks for the links! Mainly this would be a background and conversion thing, though, with some counts-as proxying for some units. Still, I'd love to see a full official Goblin army list as much as I'd a full Gnoblar one.
  • JimMorr wrote:

Will we keep greenskins as mashrooms? I remember times when half-orcs existed kept as slaves in parts of Empire...
    This execution is in my personal opinion!

I don´t like the fungal biology, because, in my opinion, it`s unrealistic and degrades greenskins to vermin.

Greenskins have a special relationship with fungi, for its hallucinogenic effect, but not more!

Greenskins are a "normal" race, like dwarfs, elves, humans, whatever. They are bigger and stronger than humans, but this is their biology.
    They have different green skin clours, like any other race. But why is their Skin green? I don´t know that.
    Why have humans yellow, brown, red or pale skin (and never ever ever I mean that racist!) I don´t know too.
    The only thing I know is, that this is nature.

Back to Orcs & Goblins

GrayGork wrote:

one thing the background group is working on
    Please keep not right with the mushroom-thing! There are many other options for an Orcs & Goblins background!

• I, on the other hand, love the fungus biology. It helps explaining why greenhides may be constantly growing, why they keep respawning in large numbers and why there are no females (and really, no males either). It's unique, flavourful, and opens a ton of possibilities, while I find the regular biology to be quite bland. But I guess the Background doesn't need to decide officially and let us have our own interpretation, since it's being told a lot from an in-world perspective. Don't think the scholars of late medieval period could understand biology that far anyway! It was much more about the large-scale observation.
  • Having internal or very different sexual organs doesn't say if the organism is a fungus or not. Alternatively, spores are just one type of gametes and could in principe work with seemingly mammalian sexual organs. There was one proposal that the reproductive system would be tied to the digestive system, new offsprings coming out of greenhide dung. That would explain the desire to consume and destroy what is on their path, as well as the common devouring of weaker greenhides by the stronger. Also, dung idols and desecration!

You don't need testicles to be aggressive. Testosterone or another hormone could be secreted by other organs and responsible for aggressiveness. Besides, goblin and grotlings should be represented in the explanation. Everyone always talk about orcs! :P

The big advantage of any kind of asexual reproduction is that greenhide would not spend time and ressources looking and managing reproductive mates. They could be busy doing everything else (like going to war) all the time. I find that aspect fitting orcs & goblins as well.
  • Shlagrabak wrote:

But I guess the Background doesn't need to decide officially and let us have our own interpretation, since it's being told a lot from an in-world perspective
    I agree with this. Maybe my post was a little bit emotional and accusingly...

Shlagrabak wrote:

Don't think the scholars of late medieval period could understand biology that far anyway!
    That's an interesting view on it.

• Xargosh wrote:

I agree with this. Maybe my post was a little bit emotional and accusingly...
    It was fine, really. ^^ You were explicitly giving your opinion.
  • I am to a big fan of fungus based biology. Why degrate O&G to the same exact biology every single other race have? Fungus based biology would be unique and interesting. Making greenskins just green barbarians is boring and illogical as it requires aditional explenation how they are abale to thrive within enemy rich eviorioment where their lack of arvanced technolory and nation spread organisation would mean they could be easily exterminated by large well organised armies of other races well before they form any kind of WAAARGH!!!. Fungus biology also explains some of their quirks nicely like: lack of females, psyhic machinism working diferently form mamalian or saurian races, ability to grow so much during their lives, their green color, why they are still a threat throughout the world dispite being less organised and living in smaller comunities than other races, why there are little to none greenskin mutants (fungi are very resistant to damage by radiation?).

As for "this is not realistic" argument. This is quite ralistic in terms of biology, just not Earth biology. This is better explanation than elfs being able to live for millenia without neuro pathways degradation or loss of memory or chaos warriors being able to survive massive and random changes to their genetic code. I am of course ommiting small fact this is FANTSY setting so it is by desingn not very realistic.

Best regards
    Sklodo
    Best regards
    Sklodo

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sklodo ().

• Sklodo wrote:

Fungus based biology would be unique and interesting
    Unique...?

:whiteflag:
  • JimMorr wrote:

Sklodo wrote:

Unique...?
    ... in the 9th age world. ;)
  • JimMorr wrote:

Sklodo wrote:

Unique...?
    Yes unique. Name any other race in 9th age that has fungus based biology. Come to think about it, I do not know of any race form widely known fantasy setting (besides warhammer/WH40k of course) that has fungus based bilogy (there is propably something like that in D&D but they have everything imaginable :P).

On the other hand it is good point scholard of 9th age propably do not know anything about fungi (besides how to make good soup) so for them orcs and goblins are propably case of abiogenesis of some kind. For them they just dig themselfs out of ground. Maby some early development stages could be dug out, but where those come from nobody knows. In our universe it was around XVII century thet anyone said thet there is no abiogenesis and even in XIX century there was whidely spread conviction that toads are created from mud.

Best regards
    Sklodo
    Best regards
    Sklodo

• As @Shlagrabak noticed it never thought on "unique" in T9A context.

I would prefer goblinoids in Warcraft style not in 40k style. I can undestand motives of an agressive male fighting for loot and females. Fighting fungi are just too alien to me. And having played Songs of Blades and Heroes does not help...