Torshov Krigshammerklubb (9th club)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Having re-read the rules for miscast, I now know that the extra dice added when miscasting (in general) does not count towards MDU (thauma still does though). Same mistake as last match. This means that fewer of my lads will blow up in the future! Great match, @Halfwhere!

Edit: The auroch vs. talmanes fight was ridiculous - I had forgotten that one! Also, I forgot to leadership test for comat reform as loosing side.

Army Design Team

The post was edited 2 times, last by Watertheplant ().

• Hallaisen karer :) Er dere med på The 9th Age norges facebook gruppe eller? :)
      Dere kan gjerne joine der og promotere kampene deres der, når nok frem til et par ekstra norske viewers iallefall :D
      Håper dere blir å se på neste turnering også :) (Invasion Kristiansand woo and hoo) :D
      Karl-Erik Hansen
      Kalerith
      :thumbsup:

Team Norway O&G 2016 Athens
      Team Norway O&G 2017 Salamanca
      Team Norway VC 2018 Zagreb
      Team Norway ID 2019 Novi Sad
    • Nice batrep gents! Thanks for posting! The OK list was far more suited to taking in the SE this time. :)

Question: why did you send the canon into Talmanes during the challenge instead of holding it back for impact hits etc? It added combat res but also meant it couldn't shoot etc while showing its epic flank to the Thicket Beasts.

@Halfwhere, nice list, though I agree about needing a little chaff. :) If you decide to stick with no chaff then perhaps consider a unit of Kestrels as they are massively manouverable for Combo charges early game and are great as late game chaff once they're whittled down a bit.
      "The combination of lemon and habenero peppers was confusing to me. I will pay for this tomorrow i think." - Rosanjin Scholar, Iron Chef
    • Fleshbeast wrote:

Nice batrep gents! Thanks for posting! The OK list was far more suited to taking in the SE this time. :)

Question: why did you send the canon into Talmanes during the challenge instead of holding it back for impact hits etc? It added combat res but also meant it couldn't shoot etc while showing its epic flank to the Thicket Beasts.

@Halfwhere, nice list, though I agree about needing a little chaff. :) If you decide to stick with no chaff then perhaps consider a unit of Kestrels as they are massively manouverable for Combo charges early game and are great as late game chaff once they're whittled down a bit.
      Thank you, @Fleshbeast. I also agree that the list was better suited for taking on SE the second time around! I sent the cannon into the combat to add +2 combat resolution to my side in the hopes of winning and freeing my expensive unit (6 bruisers, shaman+khan = a lot of points) before the Khan died. Alternatively I could have waited another round, but that would have increased the chances of the khan dying. If you have any alternative courses of action @Fleshbeast, I would very much like to hear them =)

Cheers

Army Design Team

• @Watertheplant, I had a very similar situation against KoE (I was running SE) on Sunday.
      My opponent's Stubborn BSB with GW T4/1+/5++ (with 8x lance formation retinue) went into my Thicket Shepherd General (with 5x Entangled Thicket Beast block). After one round I lost one Thicket Beast and his retinue was down by half. I accepted his challenge with my champ (died the following turn) and opted to focus on killing off the rest of his retinue. So just his BSB vs my General and 3 TBs. When my champ died I refused his challenge with my general and instead opted for the greater number of attacks at a lower WS (same S5). Reforming after combat to take my General out of alignment and maximise RnF contact. The pillow fight went for a few rounds, then I ended up flanking with 3xKestrels and killed the BSB through sheer number of attacks at S5 AP(1).

I was lucky in that my Thicket Anvil is pretty robust at T5 4+/5++ while I'm not sure what your Bruisers were packing (T4 4+?) so they may have fallen over faster than the amount of time it took to get the Canon in position. Assuming it would take one turn to set up the charge then I would have fed a champ then used the impact hits etc the following friendly turn. You can always follow your option and challenge with your Khan the turn after if the impact hits don't do enough damage. Soften him up a bit before the Khan smacks him down. :) The miscast timing was pretty brutal.
      "The combination of lemon and habenero peppers was confusing to me. I will pay for this tomorrow i think." - Rosanjin Scholar, Iron Chef
    • One of our regulars in my gaming group plays MSU OK and I find myself getting a 10/10 (pre-secondary) at best against him with my SE. Usually I just get obliterated... He's been out for 6 months with work but I flicked him the link to this report and so I'm waiting for the smack talk to begin! :)
    • Fleshbeast wrote:

Nice batrep gents! Thanks for posting! The OK list was far more suited to taking in the SE this time. :)

Thanks @Fleshbeast, we actually find it quite entertaining to make these reports, and if other people also find them entertaining, then that is even better.

I agree with chaff, got 3 old 5th edition warhawk riders waiting a paint job, once they are done, I'll give the Kestrels a spin.

I also have to say that maybe the biggest issue I had this battle was my inability to kill the two dogs. 20 Sylvan Archers doing zero wounds, etc. My god that is annoying. Next time I might bring a Hail Shot, just to make sure those bloody wolves die.
    • Kalerith wrote:

Hallaisen karer :) Er dere med på The 9th Age norges facebook gruppe eller? :)
      Dere kan gjerne joine der og promotere kampene deres der, når nok frem til et par ekstra norske viewers iallefall :D
      Håper dere blir å se på neste turnering også :) (Invasion Kristiansand woo and hoo) :D
      No @Kalerith, we're not a part of that facebook group. What is it called?

I won't make Invasion, as I'm stuck with work in the UK (real work, not painting ;)). However, you should try to convince @Watertheplant, @aresko, @Knowlaugh and @mrmossevig to make the trip. I'm sure they are itching to beat a few southerners in the beautiful game.
    • @Fleshbeast, not calling a challenge/refusing his would probably have been a better solution, as cannon impact hits really could have made the crucial difference, even though I woukld have suffered more wounds from Talmanes. I have never refused a challenge, but as I am nearing thirty years of age I should be able to make an adult decision such as that one (while weeping as my general cowers behind the musician). I will keep the option in mind for future battles, especially with OK hellfist, as they really do not need Khan LD to pass a break test vs a single model unit (steadfast+re-roll). Also, do get your OK buddy involved in the game again. His tribesmen must be hungry after such a slumber. And to answer your question about Bruisers; they are T4/5+ - so not too tanky, but a unit of 6 has enough wounds to take some punishment as long as I remember not to count the extra dice from overwhelming power as MDU!

Army Design Team

• @aresko (HBE) faces @Watertheplant (EoS) in this 3000 points battle played at @mrmossevigs house (who was playing vs @Knowlaugh in the background). Please excuse the wobbling and camera focus, it gets better after the first three minutes. For our next video @mrmossevig has procured a proper camera, so you may all look forward to some quality battle reports in the future.

3000 points, encircle, hold the ground

Please feel free to comment or ask questions, cheers!

Army Design Team

The post was edited 1 time, last by Watertheplant ().

• A bit unoriginal Battle Report this time... It's text and pictures, but most importantly it's based on our fun interpretation of PUBG in a fantasy setting. What we call Fantasy Battle Royale. It's a multiplayer, last man standing scenario, with armies of 2000 points each.

The full rules are posted over here: Fantasy Battle Royale (FBR) - a multiplayer survival scenario

But I'll copy the story here:
      The Shattered Sea, once the home of a long forgotten people, lies abandoned and overgrown between the continents of Silexia and Virentia. From it's treacherous waters, during the transit of the Seven Tailed Comet, ascends the Island of Trials. Among it's kelp and tidal pools, obsidian idols guard ancient relics - exposed to the sun only once a century.
      As the Island violently retreats into the abyss, mortal armies strive to claim the favor of long forgotten Gods. Meteors rain from the skies and blood mixes with sea water to the faint sound of an ancient madness, cackling with laughter.

So, with only 2000 points to spare, the list turned out quite interesting:
      - One HBE list with Flame Wardens, a Dragon, Spearmen, some skirmishing bow-dudes and some horses
      - One SA list with a super defensive Saurus block, complete with a skink on Palequin, with 2 regen spells and a saurus warlord, spiced up with a Stygiosaur, a set of snake swarms and two flamethrowers on legs.
      - One similar EoS-list with a infantry deathstar of halberdiers, combined with a Prelate, General and a wiz-master with Cosmo to give them speed and ward saves. Some skirmishing bow-dudes, a small unit of normal Reiters and 8 Reiters with repeater guns.
      - One KOE-list led by a Damsel with Shamanism to mess with enemy movement, with an Aspirant Nuke (Banner of the Last Charge), a Grail Dart, a Treb, 15 Bowmen and a 10 skirmishing bow-dudes.

After deployment, before scouting, the die in the middle is the center of the Blue Zone:

Seen from the KoE-camp:

The lizards are ready:

The elves are ready:

The empire is ready:

And the knights are ready:

Game turn 1:
      The blue zone shrinks by 8 inches and creeps over towards the elven corner. Still not too much to worry about, but the comet is heading straight for the lizard home-base:

The empire takes first turn and expands their sphere of influence. Fearing the trebuchet, the Reiters with repeater guns aim at the woodwork, but it stands proud with 2 HP left.

Next out is the lizards, and with the comet aiming straight at them, it's RUN-RUN-RUN!

The fastest lizards in town, the flame throwers, runs a bit further and removes a couple of spearmen:

The elves just sit on the blue zone centre and chills, but the knights are fed up with the Empire a and their gunpowder. The Grail Dart needs a '9' to get in and rolls it. They almost take a hit on the S&S, but the Lady is guiding them and brings them in:

They take down four (where horses actually scores two of the kills) and routes them. Thinking they are invincible, they charge on into the big block of halberdiers (can be seen in the distance):

The skirmishing bow-dudes on all fronts are shooting a bit on random. I think the elves take down a Reiter or four.

At the end of the round, the comet strikes, and just touches the Saurus block. Having beefed itself up on regen-saves, they actually steer clear with out too much damage.

Round 2
      This time it's the knight that are starting to feel the pressure. The comet is coming straight at the peasants in the back, and the water level is rising, with the radius shrinking to 31".
      The Aspirant Nuke moves out to control the side of the table, forgetting that it's actually a significant chance (50%) that the Saurians will have two rounds before they can move again.
      So the Saurians reform to face the threat to their right, and with it's toxic breath weapon, the threat is significantly reduced:

The remaining Reiter with pistol are sent on a suicide mission to make sure that none shall move too fast. Here you can see the center of the blue zone, just behind the elven horsies:

The empire skirmishing bow-dudes charges the the other skirmishing bow-dudes to hold them pinned down with the rising water, aiming to just stay out of the water themselves:

The elves once again just shuffle around. Those damned campers!

Luckily for the Equitainians, the comet fails to strike and just gather strength, but the peasants are starting to feel the rising water. The treb takes yet another wound and are now down to the last HP, while the peasants are losing almost half their numbers to the treacherous sea.

Round 3
      Round 3 sees the water rising another 6", and the safe zone is now only 26" in diameter.

The Empire decides to go on the offensive, and charges the Fire Lizards, needing only a short overrun to get into combat with the elves and avoid the charge from the Saurus:

But of course they fail:

So the Saurians take the bait and come charging in:

On the other end, the Stygiosaur charges the remaining knights, who flees, and are subsequently eaten:

And then it's finally it's time for some elven carnage! With the Saurians now standing in the middle of the elven deployment zone, it's the perfect storm that hits the lizards, and while they fight good and tanks a lot of the damage, it is still the elves taking the win with a proper multi-charge:

Fun game. 10/10 will play again.
      Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

My previous KoE project and complete army pictures: Army of Celeste

The post was edited 1 time, last by mrmossevig ().

• Tomorrow it's 9th Super Saturday here in Oslo, and four of us from TKK will be attending. With warband rules and 3k point limit the stage is set for a lot of thematic lists, and we are all aiming to field fully painted armies.

First out is @Halfwhere with his humongous Treefaggot Ancients and their tree hugging friends:

Next out is Noir's Fecal Few:

And the Baron and his jolly men in tights:

Lastly, @Watertheplant is also rumored to field a lot of artillery and chicken kniggets, but he was busy with other things on a Friday night and did not send his picture in time. I'll try to take som photos tomorrow, so maybe you'll see them in action anyways.

But! Most importantly, because we are nerds and like to show it, we decided to make ourselves some scalp decoration. A so-called cap:

And if I should say it myself they turned out rather exquisite. Here's a close-up of the logo:

So long. See y'all tomorrow (at least 9 of you).
      Currently posting a lot of Dread Elf WIP pictures over at: MrMossevig's Painting League 2019 - The Year of the Dragon

My previous KoE project and complete army pictures: Army of Celeste