Ork in Progress

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Ork in Progress

Greetings fellow gamers and welcome to my painting table.

After lurking around here for a while now, I thought it would be nice to contribute something that at least imitates content.
      A disclaimer is always a good way to start, to keep expectations low. Here it comes: I admire the ability to paint whole armies. Unfortunately it’s something I am not gifted with. I usually just start painting, finish a unit and a couple of characters, start some more and start something new. So there is a lot of unfinished business. Collecting new warbands or armies on a regular basis is fun, but it’s also sad to see all those unpainted little monsters.
      I thought about joining the painting league for a while, but I didn’t think failing in the first month would contribute anything to either the forum or my motivation. Looking back at my output of maybe 2-3 models a month this year, it might have been a good decision. At least I won’t be short on stuff to paint anytime soon, if I keep it at this pace. Well, we will see about that… Slow and steady wins the race, right? Anyway, I reached the conclusion that I need something a little less ambitious, but still with a little more visibility to force myself to actually finish something.
      Maybe a little focus might help as well, so as the title suggests I will try to concentrate on my greenskins :orclaugh: (sometimes also redskins). I’m normally too lazy/slow to paint whole units, but my army really needs more orcs. I’m sure they will get a lot better with the next update and I want to be ready for that glorious moment.

There shall be progress! The battle against the never-ending hordes of unpaintedness has begun. In the following posts I will (hopefully soon) present the evidence of my great victories (and WIPs).

Fare thee well
      Spaulding
      And through the storm there came a ringing:
      Thirteen tolls of that dread bell
      And all of those who dwelt in Kavzar
      Watched their city turn to hell.
    • As I said, my army needs more orcs. Consequently, I painted a goblin. And he's not even a regular part of the army, but belongs to my Mordheim warband.
      Anyway, it is some kind of progress (hooray :clapping: ) and it should give an impression what you can expect paintingwise.

Enough talk, time for a crappy picture. Since first impressions are so important, I took it with my phone in very bad lighting.
      WITNESS ME!

Display Spoiler

In addition, here's my painting table.

As you can see, there are even more goblin's, but also some orcs. So there is still hope for the horde.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Spaulding ().

• Wellity, wellity, wellity. Real updates might take a while. I started on a unit of 20 orcs, but only managed to basecoat the skin… and now I won’t get back to my brushes before Monday. I don’t want this threat to gather dust that fast, so I created a diversion: A little trip to Drakenheim. (Again with crappy pictures. Once I finish a unit, I promise to take out a real camera.)

Display Spoiler

It is a nice place, well defended.

At the market you can get some fresh food and drink.

Unfortunately, the tavern hasn’t reopened yet. Seems like some people had a little too much last night. But as you can see, the maid is already cleaning it up.

And if you get tired, there’s a nice place to rest in peace just around the corner.

Have fun, look around and don't talk to strangers.
    • This is looking really neat. Always nice to see some OnG, they have a special place in my heart. This blue colour scheme you've got going is looking promising :)

Drakenheim looks awesome. Very cool little details. I'm curious though, is the whole thing "just" a display piece, like a big diorama? And could we get some pictures showing the whole thing?

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

Empire of Sonnstahl Blog, including links to my other blogs
      The 9th Wiki, a community wiki for the official 9th Age background
      T9A: Skirmish Campaigns
    • Mad 'At wrote:

This is looking really neat. Always nice to see some OnG, they have a special place in my heart. This blue colour scheme you've got going is looking promising :)
      Thank you, I hope to meet the expectation with some new stuff soon.
      And yeah, OnG are great. I like ‘em so much, when I tried to make a beastmen army, they also turned out to be orcs in the end (just redskinned). :panic:

Mad 'At wrote:

Drakenheim looks awesome. Very cool little details. I'm curious though, is the whole thing "just" a display piece, like a big diorama? And could we get some pictures showing the whole thing?

It is actually a complete gaming table. I might have to wipe the dust of it before the next game, but it works quite well. Could need some more ladders, bridges and stuff in certain places… maybe some more inhabitants.
      And don’t worry, of course I want to show off the whole thing. I just have to wait for good lighting and use a real camera to get some descent pictures.
    • Greetings,

yesterday I managed to put some colours on some miniatures and some of them are even orcs. The skin of these guys is done and I even finished the first model in the unit. Not an orc though, but who cares. I like gnashers, I like unit fillers and done is done.

• Another week has gone, time for something like an update.

To whom it may concern, here’s another picture of Drakenheim. I just noticed that I am still no use with a camera. :no: Therefore, here’s another detail.

Once I finish some of the orcs I originally intended to paint here, I think I will paint one of my warbands and take more pics of the table.

For now I decided to put some paint on something and managed to complete the skin on the unit of 20 Orcs with shield I’m currently working on. I also painted parts of an ogre for my mordheimer orcs, but it’s all far from done and not really impressive, so I didn’t bother taking pictures.

There’s still something to show for. The first actual orc model in this threat is done now (hooray again :clapping: :(

Unfortunately, I can’t take all the credit for it. After base coating and washing the skin, I thought there was to much skin on him to paint along with the others and put him on the side. My wife saw him and thought it was a good opportunity to practice a bit…

It might not be up to her usual standard, but definitely up to mine. Now I’m considering to put some other stuff on the side. That might speed up the process.
    • ScumlordDodo wrote:

Go go! :) looking Great your Minis!!
      Thanks for the motivation! I'm really trying to get somthing done this week, but I'm so horribly slow and there's this stupid RL stuff :panic:

kollibri wrote:

Just love your terrain, its totally brilliant. Would love to see a dozen more pictures of that!
      Happy to hear that! I will post more of those every now and than, when I have nothing else to show for. :D
    • This week wasn’t extremely productive. It’s terribly warm and the colours dry faster than I paint... Yeah, stupid excuse. I'm lazy and I know it. And obviously, I'm not good at staying focused or maybe I just don't like finishing anything. So I just started painting another one of my mordheim thingies (and some parts of my characters).

This means, more OIPs

I still keep my hopes up. By the end of the month there shall be something finished to add to the great green...
    • …and I did it. I actually painted a whole model.

He is still missing a base, but that’s due to the chariot on it. (He still counts as finished.)

I also tried to do something for the unit, so here’s the attempt to put something nice on the banner. It might be a little complex for a bunch of core orcs, but there's no turning back now. The next one will just get a crooked skull and check pattern or something like that. Anyway, I think it will look nice once it’s done.

Fare thee well...
    • Oh my, lots of cool looking greenskins! (and I really like the name of your blog, btw). Like your colors, to me the greenskins look exactly that tone. However, I really need to know if in the picture with the orc, is there a goblin riding a chicken on it's right?! What's that mini???

The banner looks good too. And, as a fellow painter that lacks reliability, paint whatever you want, this is a hobby, not your day time job (or so I hope...)
    • ScumlordDodo wrote:

im interesred in those birdy birdy Riders :)

But the Orc looks very very good!!

felipem wrote:

Oh my, lots of cool looking greenskins! (and I really like the name of your blog, btw). Like your colors, to me the greenskins look exactly that tone. However, I really need to know if in the picture with the orc, is there a goblin riding a chicken on it's right?! What's that mini???

The banner looks good too. And, as a fellow painter that lacks reliability, paint whatever you want, this is a hobby, not your day time job (or so I hope...)
      Thank you both. But don't remind me it's not a job or I might get even lazier ;)

...and no, those aren't goblins riding chickens. That would be ridiculous. They are riding roosters! Great Malifaux models by Wyrd! Never played the game, but I love the gremlins. The older models are even better, but those are still too good to resist. Quality is amazing as well.
      I considered using them as raiders, but sadly they are too skinny.
    • The first rank is ready for battle, only three more to go. Or maybe they can just hide behind the banner and no one will notice them…?

Anyways, three orcs all at once is a bit too fast for me. To balance this out, I won't do anything this week. (Ok, it's mostly because I won’t get anywhere near my painting table).
      So it’s time for another diversion:

Release the kraken!
    • Greetings,

the pause was a little longer than intended and even though I did some work, nothing is finished yet. So, instead of showing new models, I will just write down some random ramblings about T9A and put up some more pictures of stuff that is already done.

Usually I don’t like to bother people with my opinion as there are already too many of those out there. :oldmen: But this is my threat, so it’s kind of the right place for it. And you should feel free to ignore whatever you like, anyways.

A while ago I read through most of a threat about the loss of content and now there’s one about reducing complexity of the orc armybook, which is the one thing that troubles me in this project. I understand there is only so much time and work force to add content and I still hope that we see a turn in that process with the Warriors and Demons books.

Nevertheless, some arguments were a bit irritating to me. Stuff like T9A fluff is a skeleton to build upon with your own imagination or Pyromancy can be anything you like.

First of all, I expected (and still do so) that the intention was indeed to create more than a skeleton, because otherwise (imho) there wouldn’t be much reason to create fluff at all, just throw humans, elves, dwarfs, orcs and some magic in a bucket, season to taste and be done with it. Also, the arguments about background being a reason that rules have to be what they are wouldn’t make much sense either.

Also, it’s nice to create stories on your own, even if they contradict the general canon sometimes, but they still need a solid background to work. I’m really looking forward to see what this world is about and if the intention was to just create something like ‘here’s orcs, there’s elves, we tell you stuff about them, but it might not be true at all and you will never know, so do what you like with them’, I would rather play something else.

I.e., if I am supposed to play pyromancy just as a destructive path of whatever he likes, destructomany (which was suggested in the threat, but I forgot by whom) would be much more fitting. With pyromancy it is fine to say that my goblin shaman throws around green firebolts, but an icemage …not so much (flaming attacks because of frost burn?). Even an electromancer might not work that well. I can imagine the discussion

My wizard casts chain lightning. - You mean pyroclastic flow. - No, it’s chain lightning, it just uses the rules of pyroclastic flow. I told you last turn. - Yeah, sure. - Now he casts a lightning bolt. - Is that the big or the small version of the fireball?…

Can’t really see the immersion here.

Anyway, long story short: if something is supposed to be generic and I should create my own fluff, then it should be generic. If something is called pyromancy and has flaming attacks that is pretty much it. And in my opinion that is how it should be.

I have to admit, as far as I am concerned there could be 40 different lores and if 90% of my O&G spells have the same effects as 10 other lores, I don’t mind. That kind of redundancy is not useless complexity (imho), it’s part of identification with my army. (Not sure, if that is the correct expression…? I hope you get what I’m trying to say anyways.)

Balance and lawyer-approved rules are fine, but the things that keep me interested in a game are weird things that produce cinematic moments. I don’t mind complexity, if that means I can have my scroll back to turn wizards into frogs. (What else is this dude good for: )

Not everything has to be effective. If there’s an option that nobody takes because there are better choices, just leave it, it won’t hurt you. I would love to see a hundred magic items per army. If 90 of them are crap, I don’t care, as long as they are there. It’s just nice to be able to create unique characters and hope for epic deeds, even if not in a narrative game. Too much complexity shouldn’t be an argument, if the players who care about that only have to remember the top five items anyway. (I want my Iron boar back and the scroll that turns a wizard into a frog. My models seem kind of useless without them: :wiz: )

I know that my take would probably not result in the intended game and I don’t mind. Not everything has to follow my imagination. I just hope that the fear of complexity won’t result in army books which exclusively include meaningful choices. Sometimes I need redundant and pointless stuff. To illustrate this – here is my cave goblin BSB on giant squig I built in 8th edition of the game that shall not be named.

In games it was an even bigger liability than I thought he could be, but I am still glad the option was there, because otherwise I wouldn’t have that model now. The possibility to use it in games is much more important for my motivation than its actual usefulness. (That’s why I would like 10+ units of orcs. It’s much easier to havea playable unit, even if you need at least 30 to be useful.)

Ok, that sounds a lot like complaining, which wasn’t the intention, but well, enough whining for now. T9A is still great and I’m sure will become even better. There is just a bit to much focus on balance for my taste and I hope some other aspects of the hobby will become a little more prominent soon

To compensate for all this pointless babbling, have some more pictures of a chariot WIP, a test-boar

(the drybrush was the greatest invention ever)

and some Drakenheim details:

Fare thee well :hat: