For Dice We Must!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Casas wrote:

I overwrote it with the one for this battle :(

Additionaly, if we end up playing the third round, it may not be good for me revealing you my week points for the specific match :P
      Doesn't need to be today :D
      Just because I'm on the Legal Team doesn't mean I know anything about rules or background in development, and if/when I do, I won't be posting about it. All opinions and speculation are my own - treat them as such.

Legal

Playtester

Chariot Command HQ

• Important message for the fans!

ATM I'm working in writing the BR from my battle against VC, but that one is going to be a long one. I also started painting the ogre as was suggested, but right now is at too early state as to show anything. Maybe you'll see something by the end of the week,.

And an important thing. Another ub tournament is gushing between the spanish community, and I need to prepare my list. What would you guys want to see? Options are:
      • Similar double wyvern list
      • Good 'ol full goblin list
      • WDG crazy list (first time playing with them ever)
      • Other (suggest)
      I'm looking forward for your input, guys!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

Marathon Finisher :D

My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; Follow me on IG: @fordyewemust ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
      Seriously, a blog? In this century? For Dice We Must
    • Behold!

Finaly the final report from my battle vs @Jon653. This one is really really long, so prepare some tea or something before starting. We actualy play this game (unlike the last one), so pictures have templates, and measures and stuff in there. What happens when you record live ^^

How I miss the screenshots from UB1....anybody knows if there is something similar in UB2, or a way to get better images?

B2: ST7 - Chapter 5: Evocating the undead

And the day came for my battle versus that VC army which looked so bad to me. Will all my bad expectations come true? Will I be able to save some points? Will I completely destroy my opponent’s army in an epic feat of greenish fury? We will soon see.

As every battle should start, we rolled for magic. I got the almighty scorching salvo and flaming swords (+1 to wound). But wait…he has thousands of weakly soldiers which may come back…scorching salvo has no use at all in this battle! Just for the spawns and the wolves, everything else doesn’t care!

He got spells 1,2,3 and 6 on evocation. What do they do? Who cares? He almost only casted the trait (evocation of souls) to bring troops up. Ok, one of those lets you repeat to wound and another repeat to hit, those were casted maybe once or twice. But seriously, just bring troops up :no:

He chose sides, deciding to keep the one down. To me both sides looked very similar, in fact maybe up was better to me thanks to the impassable (allowing me to hide from him better). I don’t know. One thing was true, the one playing up had to turn all his units… maybe that was what decided it for him. Since I had the opportunity to decide who started deploying, I took some time to machinate a little bit. I saw that we both had the same number of drops, and being the deployment tipe counterthrust the one starting would have a +1 in the starter deciding roll. Then I thought if I would like to go first or second. As I said in my previous thoughts, in my head my only opportunity to survive was not fighting versus his troops. But maybe, maybe, he didn’t have the idea to come full throttle to me. Maybe he would expect both to move slowly towards the opponent and finally found each other close to the middle. It is bubble VC, they need to all close to be OP, maybe that would work. So in case he starts and doesn’t move full the first turn he wouldn’t see until my turn that I was not going to go for him, making him lose some precious inches. Sounds stupid? Yes, I know. But that’s just what crossed my head in the moment. Once again feeling a genius I decided to start deploying and get that precious +1. Also due to the 18” distance in counterthrust, deploying first would allow me to place the wolves at the edge of the deployment and force him to be 18” away. And that’s what I did. And he answered with the same: his wolves at the edge of the deployment zone on the other side, so I would have to deploy far from them. Since I wanted to hide my absolute cowardice as much as possible, I continued deploying the gargantulas at 18” from his wolves, so he could think I was trying to be as close to him as I could. Of course, my initial plan was moving them back ASAP, making the most of their 14” march. So coward, so machiavellian, so cool,… I should go back to playing gobbos :GobboFreaky:

So after all our drops the battlefield looked just like this:

On the orcs, left to right: trolls, general, wolves, 'eadbashers, gobbos with both chars, garg1, boars, feral, garg2
      On the vamps: barrow knights, skeletons, altar, barrow guard, zombos with cadaver wagon and 2 necros, wolves, spawns, general

And there I saw something that I didn’t think about (and of course he did). He placed his spawns last because he wanted to charge with them as soon as possible. Those guys fly 9”, so they can get a charge on a 10 if I’m deployed at the edge. Does anyone remember what I said about the spawns? Shooting and magic until there are only 3 or 4 left, then you can fight them. Well, I just gave them the possibility for a charge in the first turn. Well played! And to add more to it, he placed his general just beside the spawns so he could have the exact same charge to my spider.

We roll to decide who would play first, he got a 6, I got a 5+1, tie, he chooses since I finished before. But he said that he wanted to go first, so it doesn’t matter at all.

T1 VC: Of course, he charged with both spawns and general to my closer spider. Checking the position of the units and the impassable terrain, only one of the two would be able to fit, meaning that at least I would not have two enemy units in my deployment zone in the first turn. But well, he got two opportunities to make that swifstride 10. I S&Sed against the spawns, and was able to take one wound of them. Then he just got the 10 with the spawns, and the general failed his charge .The rest of the army started slowly coming towards me. In magic he got a (4,5) and channelled (he was doing it on 3+ I think), and what did he do? Cast four times Evocation of Souls. I mean, why not? He just needed to get a 2+ (meaning auto success with two dice) and was getting extra bodies plus lightning reflexes thanks to one of the altars/chariots. I’ve got to admit that he had so many things, special rules, and stuff that already at this point of the battle I simply had no idea what extra bonuses he was getting and why. I just know that two dicing a spell and getting the snake eyes meant another 10 or 12 skeletons, plus lightning reflexes in another unit. Well, where was I? Oh yes, so 2diced 3 times evocation of souls, from which I dispelled one, and then he four-diced it again, getting a miscast with his general. Miscast meant nothing to him (nothing at all), and in the end he was able to get 22 new skeletons and heal the wounded spawn. In the combat he hit first, and with the 22 spawn attacks he hit 17 on 4+, meaning in the end 6 goddamn wounds on my gargantula. Then she was able to make 6 wounds on return, but he healed 1 with vampiric. I passed my stubborn ld test. But dude, 6 wounds…that spider was already as good as dead.

T1OnG: On my turn one I decided to charge the spawns with my feral. Yes that meant having him surely charged by his general on second turn, but at least I would get rid of the spawns before. On the movement side, I tried to place the second gargantula in place to help the feral combat in my second turn, in case they both were still alive then. On the other flank, trolls started moving forward, and the same did my general, trying to have in sight both skeletons and barrow knights. In magic I got (6,4)….darn! I need magic phases with 5-7 dice, not this! I tried to cast flaming swords with 4 dices and got (drumroll) a 6! And that was my first magic phase. Shooting I killed a few wolves. In combat the impact hits of my feral killed one spawn. Then he got 7A S8 and just hit 2…clap, clap, :clapping: ! He send all his attacks to the gargantula killing her, but at least she hit back at the same ini, killing enough of this things to make them lose combat and vanish into dust. What in fact was bad news to me. If at least two had survived I could have moved the feral just beside the impassable, and avoid the charge from his general. Instead he overrun like the frenzied monster he is, becoming the easiest charge for the lahmia count.

T2VC: During his turn happened something that you may recall from the last game: I was safe with my gargantula behind some wolves, and he just charged with them to have free way with the barrows. Well truth be told this time I expected this kind of movement, or at least I would like to think so. I least I measured to have them on the front, but rethinking again, maybe I should have placed the spider better. So he charged his general and the wolves to my feral, and the barrow guard to my only surviving spider. Barrow guard needed an 8 and got it. The other charges were easy ones. During movement, the zombies with the corpse chart turned towards the feral combat, and the skeletons advanced a little bit. The barrow knights moved backwards getting as far as possible from my general. In magic he got (5,2) and of course channelled. And well, this was a strange magic phase. He just casted evocation of souls once, to get 10 more skeletons. Then he tried to give repeat to wound to the barrow guard, which I dispelled, and gave repeat to hit to his lord. In the combat versus the spider I failed almost all my dice, and even with stomp was able to only kill 4 guys (and I think the goblins helped). I don’t remember how many wounds he caused to me, but I lost combat, failed my rerollable stuborn break test and run out of the map. He restrained pursue and just stood there. For the other combat I quickly made a lot of numbers: if I kill enough wolves (say all 5), and manage to suffer just 1 or 2 wounds I still win combat and cause some wounds to this thing…so the math to kill 5 wolves is…waaaaait! He challenged. And of course I hadn't even thought on that possibility. In anyway, it was all in vain. He forgot to do his impact hits, going directly to his vampire attacks. With 4 attacks caused 4 wounds. End of the story. Hmmmm…start of my turn 2 and I’ve already lost the two gargantulas and my feral, meaning all my punch. This looks great! At least he had lost also his block of spawns which truth be told is also really punchy.

Note: That big block of skeletons is there because I took the image while he was filling the unit from the last magic phase

T2OnG: During my second turn I didn’t move much. Just put my boar riders out of LoS from those barrow guard, turn my ‘eadbashers and goblins to give the front to the same barrows, keep advancing slightly the trolls, bring the wolves close, and push a little bit with the general towards the barrow knights, but keeping him in IP of the trolls. I didn’t expect those barrows to be so close to me at this moment, maybe I could have placed the ‘eadbashers better before. In magic I got (5,1) and none of us channelled. I casted flaming swords on the goblins with three dice to see if I could do some shooting damage (8 shoots man, don’t get too nervous). He dispelled the thing with his five dice…looks like he didn’t care at all about the scorching…therefore, I casted the salvo with my other three dice, hitting all the units but the altar. To our surprise, I got 6 impacts in all the four rolls….what meant a few skeletons, a few zombies and a few barrow guards dead, but nothing he should even care about in the end. Shooting I did nothing. No combats, so fast turn.

T3VC: In his third turn he moved both units of barrows back (knights and guard), and everything forward searching for greenish blood. In magic he got (5,4) and channelled. He casted four times the evocation of souls from which I managed to dispel two, meaning 10 more skellies and 6 more barrow guards. With his remaining two dice he casted repeat to hit on his barrow guard, getting another miscast on the cadaver wagon. Being the cadaver wagon, that was like miscasting with 4 dice…well he killed two zombies. And then passed turn.

T3OnG: At this point I seriously doubted if I should go all in against the skeleton block. I could charge trolls, ‘eadbashers and general, and use the wolves to redirect his general and prevent it from charging in a pair of turns. Of course he would come to me with the other chariots (and its impact hits and stuff) but maybe it would have worked. My numbers say that ‘eadbashers plus trolls plus general should be able to kill about 25 skeletons per turn plus eleven dying from unstable…well there were already 88 skeletons in there, I’m not sure if it would work. Buuuut instead I decided that I was a coward, and declared just one charge: my general against the barrow knights. Killing those knights would mean that I would be ahead on the objective, so I would just have to keep my units alive another three turns to save those precious 3 points. Since I couldn’t fail that charge (that would mean 2 full turns without using the trolls) I screamed waaaargh to get that +1 movement on the wyvern. He made it, and had no problems with the DT due to the forest. Apart from that I moved the orcs back again, the boars out of LoS from the barrows, and placed the wolves to redirect the skeletons and send them to the trolls. Since the general was too far away, the only way to prevent failing stupidity with the trolls was having them in combat for my fourth turn, so I wanted to force that by sacrifying the wolves. Supposedly trolls should hold the skeletons for the full remaining of the game, so having them there would be really good for me. In magic I got (5,5) and he channelled. As always, I tried to cast flaming swords on the goblins, which he dispelled, and killed some stuff with salvo and shooting. In combat I caused three wounds with the general, and he saved two of them. Then the wyvern killed another guy, and he answered with a lethal strike meaning one wound on my warboss. Unstable left just one guy in there. Luckily I didn’t really need to finish the combat in one turn, so I can just complaint of that silly wound received.

T4VC: In his fourth turn he charged the skeletons to the wolves and advanced full everything else. He placed his general in order to threaten the boars, but still close to everything else. At this point I realised that that was a field, and therefore does not provoke DT’s on marching infantry… I was sooo happy hiding my goblins behind it, and all for nothing! During magic he got (6,4), and casted evocation of souls thrice. I dispelled one, and he miscasted another with the cadaver wagon losing the spell and killing some zombies. In the end it meant replenishing the barrow guard, and winning 2 zombies. Then he casted Danse Macabre in aura (everything moves 8”) with the general miscasting again, what meant three wounds and losing the spell. But everything came even closer. In combat he killed the wolves and then was doubting if overrunning. Inside I was craving for that charge, if not the trolls would be totally useless. Luckily he decided that a flank charge of the orcs was not a real threat having his barrow guard there, and went for the trolls. My general finished killing the barrow knights, meaning I was ahead on the objective. Yay!

T4OnG: And here is where I think a committed a second big mistake. I could charge the ‘eadbashers to the flank of the skeletons, and redirect the barrow guards with the goblins. Luckily, I would kill enough skeletons (not difficult if they are disrupted) to reform the orcs afterwards and get them out of LoS of the altar. That way I would have three complete combat rounds to kill those ninety something skeletons. Sounds like a lot, but statistics say that is more than feasible as long as they don't come back by dozens, and even more with the help of the general on the third round. And with the skellies out, I would be even closer to saving those 3 objective points (or even maybe win them!). But instead I made a different math. I counted two enemy turns, one shaman and one BSB. In other words, two redirectors to distract the barrow guard for those two turns. So I did the same once again: move back the orcs and hide the boars. And then place my shaman to redirect his unit. I realised that my magic had being totally useless the whole battle, and a BSB could still be useful for fifth turn. In combat I killed a bunch of skeletons and he managed to take four wounds from the trolls thanks to lightning reflexes.

T5VC: And here came my surprise. The goddam general can create a death aura causing 1d6 S5 hits on turn five. Of course, that easily killed my redirecting shaman, giving free way to charge whatever he wanted. He charged the barrow guard to the ‘eadbashers, and the altar to the goblins. Then turned the general to look to where the real battle was. During magic he restored all the wounds on his general, brought back to full power the barrow guard, and gave them repeat to wound. On the trolls combat he did me nothing and I killed a few skeletons. The altar killed some gobbos and made me check Steadfast, which I failed by one due to fear, fleeing out of the field. The barrow guard killed 18 ‘eadbashers (eighteen!!), and received no wounds in response. He decided not to pursue, and I was able to stay on the field after a rickdickculous flee roll.

T5OnG: His fifth turn clearly destroyed any chance of survival I had. Still impressed by how easy the barrow guard had gone over the ‘eadbashers I decided to try to get some final victory points. Therefore I moved my general and boars to try to hit the zombies in turn 6, and see if I was able to do something to them. ‘Eadbashers regroup, and trolls kept killing suffering two wounds in response.

T6VC: He charged again the eadbashers with the barrow guard, and moved full the zombies to try to flee from my boars. But then during magic he brought 16 more to no-life, so he didn’t really get so far. He put another wound on the trolls, and, of course, destroyed my ‘eadbashers

T6OnG: In a desperate move I double charged the zombies, killing a big bunch of them, but also losing a lazy boar in the process. In the end didn’t mean anything, so who cares?

Making numbers it ended being a 19-1 to him. Reviewing the pics, and thinking about the match, I think I shouldn’t have played so cowardly. I could have concentrated more stuff on the skeletons and I maybe could have been able to kill them. Especially with that flank charge on turn four. There everything else on his army was looking to who knows were, and breaking steadfast while causing 20-30 wounds per turn goes way too good versus them. But instead I decided to play the conservative way, thinking I could be able to keep my three scoring units until the end (or maybe two). Not seeing that killing aura that left my without redirectors also dilapidated any hope of survival. Still it is true that Jon’s was a really powerful army, with a lot of synergies while playing in bubble, and a few things I couldn’t even dare to touch, like his general or the barrow guard.

Buuut not everything is sorrow here. Good news of this brutal beating is that I should play a mid-table rival next round (what I really deserve ), and maybe I can end up in not a very bad in place at the tournament. Or maybe not, just time will say.

As always, opinions, comments, suggestions, even insults are much appreciated. I’d love to know that I’m not writing this only for me, and that there is someone reading at the other side (I already know from some of you, but I need moar, MOAR!).

See you soon guys!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

My unupdated CMON gallery X/ ; Follow me on IG: @fordyewemust ; I accept painting commissions. If you want me paint something for you, just PM!
    • B2: ST7 - Chapter 6: A visit to the Stable

And here comes the last round of this Shifting Tides tournament, were I’ve been paired to play versus @Kyrys and his KoE knights. This time was this list:

Kyrys wrote:

Kingdom of Equitaine, Favour of Grail
      525 - Duke, General, barded warhorse, shield, Viertue of Renown, Crusaders Helm, Potion of Swiftness, Blessed Sword
      377 - BSB, barded warhorse, Virtue of daring, Grail oath, lance, Banner of Speed, hardened shield
      585 - Damsel, master, +3 spells, Essence of Free Mind (Divination/druidism). Skullsplitter. Ring of Fire. warhorse
      260 - 3x5 knights aspirant, mus
      639 - 11x knights of the Realm, FCG, Banner of Discipline
      745 - 8x knights of the Grail, FCG, Flaming standard,
      730 - 8x knights of the Grail, FCG, War banner
      110 - 5x yeoman outriders, throwing weapons

Truth be told, I don’t know why I always end up playing versus the Equalian in every ST. Seriously, in the five times I’ve taken part, from the 15 games I’ve played at least 3 times against them. And they were always a headache for my armies, since trolls were my only unit able to kill those knights. Will it be the same with the wyverns list? Lets calculate it:

First off, Favour of Grail? I guess is to fight the almighty anti-cav spears, but, if it were me, I would clearly always go for the King one. I don’t know, maybe during this battle I learn that I am wrong.

The Duke: I remember Equitanian Dukes as being killing machines who used to repeat every roll with S6 and an impenetrable armour. But for some reason this one isn’t. This Duke seems specifically designed to kill Scourges of Wrath and die in the process, but doesn’t look that really hard against anything else. Ok, if he gets any of my wyvern he has a 50% probability of killing them in one go, but the same probability of doing them nothing. And as every good character, that rerollable 1+ makes him hard to die, but seriously, I remember this guys harder. In anyway, try to keep your wyverns away from him if possible.

The BSB: Another rock with his 1+/5++, but causing no harm at all. The problem is that the unit he is in charges from one edge of the table to the other, so the real threat is his unit, not him.

The Damsel: What can I say of this lady? Beware with the trolls and the ring of fire and fate’s judgement, the wolves and the skullsplitter, and those +2T, regen 5+ or put your steadfast unit into a forest. No idea which path will he get, if it were me I would maybe get druidism due to this last three, but I’m not 100% sure.

Aspirant knights: Or aspirin knights as I end up calling them for sure. Three small units of this guys. They can hit hard on the charge, but don’t do much afterwards. In addition that WS3 combined with I3 makes them an easy objective for wyverns and gargantulas, who hit first. So I may bait them blatantly in order to get a charge and get rid of them fast.

Realm bus: And as in every other battle I played vs KoE, there has to be a Realm bus. So those guys are 12 attacks, S6 on charge, but just S4 afterwards. As long as I hold the charge, during the remaining turns they should go bit by bit down without killing much. The problem is that unless I put my trolls in there, they never go down fast enough. I guess both chars will go in there (maybe even the three of them), so this unit may be able to charge anything they want. It would be great to make them charge any of my blocks (gobs or orcs) and then flank charge with trolls. That should make it easy

Grails: And this is the big threat of his army. If they get the charge, they can easily kill any of my best offenders. Additionally the unit with the flame banner could chop through my trolls like (beware, spoiler) Rick through rats. Luckily, when they are not on the charge, they can be dealt with by my gargantulas or the feral. So I will most likely bait one of the units with a gargantula offering long charges or something, and play hide and seek the other with the feral. I hope that works.

So what I get as conclusions? I should try to get rid of the aspirin knights asap, possibly with the use of my feral and a gargantula. Hold the grail knights with the feral (again) and the other gargantula. Try to deal with the bus with ‘eadbashers and trolls. Hide the boars and squeeze them in his deployment zone in the last turns. Use terrain as much as possible (maps has one forest, one wall and one ruins) since DT are the main enemy from Equitaine. And have fun dude, have fun!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Hi Casas, so about my list :)

Duke – yeah, he works more as threat, than killing machine. My oponent mostly just cant risk to go against him. He can do (and he often does) nothing. But on the other hand, he can kill (specially flying) big nasty things with (almost) one blow.

BSB – exactly, hejust provides delivery services for my units. Charge range 24“ is something, you must count with.

AP wards save – my both grails have 5++ against everything, so the ward save only matters for 3 units of aspirants and one bus of realms. I often send my small aspirants through forrests and fields in order to get some flank charge, so my AP ward is mostly against terrain test. And lethal strikes of course.

My thoughts about your list:

Lord on wywern with axe of aporcalypse – something i have to evade at all costs. I remember tournament one year ago, when I killed in 3th turn 80% of my oponnents army. In 4th turn charged with my general (due to blocators) into unit of two models – warboss with aporcalypse and BSB. I was able to give him just two wounds, then he rolled 3 for that d3 and my general died. In next 2 turns I losty my grails and realms with wizard and BSB. This two models were able to turn my big win into bis loss. So I have to be carefull now.

Lord on wywern with blessed sword – not so big threat. I can charge you with any big bus and win by combat res.

Gargantulas – ouch. Have to be carefull there. With 8W I can only kill it with only grails, supported with magic (re-roll to hit would be best here) or with some combo charge. But two big spiders age nasty. Big and nasty :)

Eadbashers –dangerous, but i can win on the charge. With spears I should try to get some flank charge. But dont think it will be possible.

Magic – only two spells from fire magic? Nice, I only have to keep eye on my yeomans. Thats the only unit without armor save.

Shooting – no catapults and no flying drunken mads, nice! I dont like high AP. And it seems you have none.

My conclusion:

With weak shooting and magic you will probably go forward with full speed. Gargantulas first, wywerns on flanks, infantry ready for flankcharge if (when) I get stuck in gargantulas.

I should have two turns of shooting (not much to do here) and magic before our armies meet. Ok, so I will try to take Divination and pray for spells No. 1 and 5. I will pretend to go aggressively, but wait with real charges for turn 3-4-5. I need to kill (or seriously wound) at least one gargantula or aporcalypse guy with my magic before I can really charge you.

If you go forward, I have to keep distance and go backwards eventually. And keep my army wide spread, so you cant encirle me and cant harass my long flanks. This will be difficult game for sure.
    • Thanks for the thoughts @Kyrys, it's great to have the opinion from the other side in order to compare, it's a great extra addition to the blog, and helps me know if I was in the good way X/

Now that I read you, we were both just planing to wait for the other to come....great strat! :D

I'm working on the report, I'll try to upload it asap....and also have to write the ST7 aftermath thinking, some painting advances, another tournament coming (so list and first round), and one or two specials I want to include.....if I only had the time! :P

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• B2: ST7 - Chapter 7: Trampling under hoof

And I finally played my game versus @Kyrys. I’ve got to say that I didn’t play the game in the best conditions. I played it on a Thursday afternoon/night and I was leaving on holyday on the next day. Meaning that I had to end the game that day, and in the meantime do laundry and prepare my luggage for the tryp. Additionally, I’ve got a problem with UB2, and @Lorenzo does not look like willing to solve it (or to even read my mails). Due to the ‘no space characters’ politics of UB2 I cannot access my infinity pro account anymore, so I had to play with a proxied army from a free account.

Therefore, first of I would like to say that I’m sorry for the proxies, but again, it’s UBs fault, not mine.

But dude, stop crying and start writing! :gbully:

So he choose divination, getting spells 0 (gives distracting and hard target), 1 (1D3 hits that auto-wound with no Ward/regen. Boosted is 1D6), 3 (repeat to hit and divine attacks) and 5 (2D6 hits which wound on 4+ with AP(2) and divine). Additionally the path has an attribute which gives cold blood to a unit. So good news because he didn’t choose druidism, bad news because he has the two spells that destroy my wyverns and trolls (1 and 5).

On my side I got for the third battle in a row Scorching Salvo and Flaming Swords. He won the roll to choose side, and decided to pick up. I would have picked down, so perfect for me. And I decided to let him start deploying, since I wanted to know where his knights were going to be. My deploying plan was having the feral and one spider on the left side, and the rest of the army on the other corner, hidden behind the forest. But of course, I didn’t want him to know it from the beginning, since I would rather have him distribute his units as much as possible along the deployment line.

He started deploying some aspirins, and I followed with wolves, more aspirins, boars, yeomen, one gargantula, more aspirins, another gargantula and grails. Up to here I had still everything almost hidden, since I had just placed one spider at each corner of the field and still no units.He had already placed all his aspirins distributed through all the field (so no problem from multi-charges) and there was no space for more units in the right corner, so I decided to drop everything in the right side, having a +2 for the starting roll. I said I wanted to go first, so I could start to bait with feral and gargantulas, and maybe keep him further away from my army a little bit more time.

So after vanguarding the battlefield looked like this:

Note: KoE left to right: aspirins, aspirins, yeomen, realm bus with general, grails with damsel, grails with BSB and fire standard, aspirins
      OnG: boars, feral, wolves, gargantula, goblins with 2 chars, trolls, general, ‘eadbashers, gargantula

At this point I realised that I had lots of socks to fold, and that I had no idea how to kill his grail knights. And that the realm bus was not ultra-fast, but the flaming grail unit…interesting….

I got a 6 to decide who was starting, and therefore first turn. I wished him good luck, and started moving.

OnG1: I threw the feral against his leftmost aspirins, offering an easy charge for him. I seriously expected him to take the bait, mostly since he has a way bigger chance to hurt me charging than receiving a charge. Also moved rightmost spider a little, offering a long long charge to the ultrafast grails, and also moved a little bit the centre spider. During magic I got (3,4), and started casting flaming swords on the centre gargantula. He didn’t try to dispel (don’t ask me why), and I casted nothing else, since everything was out of range. Shooting with the firey gargantula I killed a yeoman, and the other gargantula killed one aspirin knight…not bad!

KoE1: So he decided not to charge, and instead turn the knights and run away from my feral…craven! :grouch: . He slightly moved most of his army towards the gargantula in the centre, and moved front a little bit the right aspirins and grails. He also sent the damsel full steam towards the feral lord. In magic he got (5,6). Casted spell 0+Att on the yeomen (cold blood, distracting and hard target) with 3 dice, which I let go, since I didn’t care much (8 goblin shoots, I don’t spect to kill them). Then he casted the ring of fire with 4 dice on the spider. And with T6, I didn’t care at all of 1d6 S4, so I let the spell in. And there he ended his turn.

OnG2: I pressed again with the feral, going towards the centre of his army, and threatening aspirins, damsel, realm bus and yeomen. I also moved back the right spider since I didn’t want the grails to charge to her so easy. In magic I got (4,4). I tried again to cast flaming swords on the centre spider with 4 dice, which he dispelled, and I casted a salvo with the other 4 dice, reaching only one of the grail units and doing nothing. But then shooting with the gargantula I managed to kill another yeoman, even with his spell on.

KoE2: During his movement he was easily able to hide yeoman, aspirants and damsel from my feral beast. He also turned the realm bus to give me the front (I was not gonna charge in anyway as long as the duke were there), and moved the central grail unit a little bit towards the centre. The unit of aspirins which was hiding in the corner turned again and decided to go back to the battle. The right flank didn’t move at all. In magic he got (3,5), and I managed to channel. Then he casted 5 on my feral with three dice and got a 14 (+2) with 3 dice. That meant that I needed at least 5 dice to safely dispel the spell, and since there was no point on saving one die, I roll the six of them to dispel the spell…damn! Then he casted the ring of fire on the feral, which I didn’t care at all (as the spider, T6, so no problem), and finally 1 also on my feral, from what he lost 2 wounds…bad news for him

OnG3: I decided not to charge the feral to the realm bus. Mostly because there was no point on doing that. He could just challenge me, maybe kill my character, maybe suffer 1 or 2 wounds (but I don’t think I could kill that duke), and then win the combat due to static resolution. Not cool. So I decided to press again both units of aspirin knights. Additionally I decided to add the spider to the mix, since I felt the feral would not be enough to hold bot aspirin units, maybe not even one. I was also putting an impassable between the realm bus and the spider, what is always good. Not thinking too much, I moved the trolls a little bit front, not really sure why. At this point I wanted to press his centre, but I was still afraid of that ultrafast grail unit, so I couldn’t just go with everything. So I calmed my needs by moving a little bit the trolls and wait for whatever may come. In magic I got (4,6). I casted 5 on the goblins with four dice, and got a ridiculous roll (1,2,2,6), but he decided not to dispel it. Then I casted salvo with four dice, and he dispelled with everything. In the end, those flaming goblin bows did nothing, so pointless magic phase.

KoE3: Once again he managed to hide both units of aspirin knights from my feral. Aaand I have no idea how he did it. I went to put some t-shirts on the wardrobe, and when I came back both units were just at the edge of his LoS. Seriously, did I place him that bad? With the rest of the army he pushed front, but still keeping the grails on the right far enough from a charge by the spider. During the magic phase he got (3,6). He casted Unerring Strike on my feral with three dice, and got an 8 (+2). Since it should be easy to dispel, I just throw three dice, trying to save some for the upcoming Fate’s Judgement, aaaand didn’t get enough. Gosh, a 9 with three dice! So he killed my feral, ending with that the magic phase.

OnG4: After the death of my killing machine I stopped thinking, forgot about my plan, and decided to go forth and finish fast. I saw that I could move the gobos to the front going out of LoS from the realm bus, so I forced them to face the grails. I moved the trolls beside, but a little bit less. This way he could have an easy charge to the goblins, and most likely get stuck (maybe kill my shaman and BSB), or try a slightly longer charge to the trolls who could maybe survive. At least my numbers said they should survive. What worried me most at this point was the second unit of grails (the one with flaming banner) charging my trolls (even with the forest in between), so I also placed them in a looking to semi-nowhere position to try to get some inches in between. I also moved forward the ‘eadbashers, and the gargantula to try to follow the rest of the army. And here I commited a big big error. I moved my general in the space between the LoS of both grial units, so he couldn’t charge me with them. But I moved 18” instead of 16". I don’t know why, I was sure he could move 18 at the moment of measuring. When Kyrys asked me half a minute later, I realised my mistake, and we decided to backtrack it 2 inches, and left him inside the forest, but still out of LoS. Truth be told, and thinking about it now, I don’t feel right for this final decision, and IMO the correct one would have been placing the general behind the trolls or the wolves, and not moving him anymore. But at the heat of the battle I decided to go for the ultra-favourable solution for me, and do this. From here I want to say sorry to Kyrys for my mistake with this movement :wallbash: . But yes, in the end I placed the general in the forest, out of LoS from all his units and looking to the realm bus and the grail knights, ready for a later charge. On the other side of the field I moved the gargantula towards the aspirins to see if I could do there what the feral didn’t. On magic I got (3,5). I casted with four dice boosted flaming swords, so both gobos and trolls would have the +1 to wound. Also killed one grail with the attribute. Then I 4-diced a boosted salvo which he dispelled.

KoE4: And here he did something I didn’t expect at all: he charged his grail and aspirin knights to my gargantula. I was 100% he would head crazily to the trolls, and didn’t see this coming at all. Then the rest of the army just dodged my goblins and trolls getting in my deployment, while the aspirins in the left corner slowly fled from my gargantula. During magic he got (2,4), casted repeat to hit on the leftmost aspirant knights, which I dispelled, and then he gave them Distracting and Hard Target. In the combat (finally, combat :hurrah: !) he caused me 5 wounds, and I was able to kill two aspirin knights. Being the spider stubborn, and with the general close, it was no problem for me to pass the ld9 check. And then he asked me something I just hate getting asked. He said ‘do you want to reform?’ Every time a player says that sentence means that he is going to pull a dirty trick with no realistic sense at all, but which the rules allow, making he save his but from something. Tricks such as fighting sideways with a fire phoenix, or the like. So he placed the grial knights in two ranks in order to get out of LoS from my ‘eadbashers, and violently laugh at my face.

OnG5: at this point I checked the rules for declaring charges in the BRB. If I had checked the FAQ outcome would have been different, but I checked the BRB. According to the FAQ the ‘eadbashers can charge the grial knights and save the spider. According to the BRB they can’t. So instead of doing an epic flank charge and kill those pesky knights, I had to turn them and watch how they destroyed my battle line. Also, since I was in my no thinking mode, I charged the general to the flank of the other grail unit. There are so many reasons why this was a bad idea….finally, my leftmost spider was able to charge the unit of aspirin knights (needing a 10 for that). Since both the grails and the realm bus had pass me by my left, I needed to bring back the trolls to where the action was, and for that I needed to put the goblins out of the way. So I had to make a pair of strange movements in there that left each unit looking worse than the other. Also, I needed my gargantula to survive another round of combat and then die in order to be able to charge those grail knights with the eadbashers, and since I took away my general (see, I said it was a mistake), I needed to bring the BSB alone closer to her. And there he went in a crazy journey through the battlefield, exposed to magic and shooting with no armour at all…And at this point I remembered the objective and my boars. I measured the distance to his deployment zone aaaand….nope, impossible to get there in two turns… Crap! So I just turn them to where the battle was just in case. On magic I didn’t get any spell in, so I won’t extend on it. During combat my leftmost spider failed everything, and was just able to kill one knight. He hit back and caused me one wound. But then he failed his ld test and flee out the field, so was not that bad after all :gwhistling: . The other spider caused five wounds to the aspiring knights, from which he saved four. Luckily afterwards the gobos killed the last aspirin. In anyway, I lost combat, checked rerollable ld6 aaaand failed, leaving the table. My general was able to kill a brave unit champion in the meantime. Then he turned his unit to face death…or not

KoE5: In his fifth turn he charged the flaming grials to my BSB, who fled, and then redirected to the ‘eadbashers. Then he charged the realm bus to my general. There I was still folding t-shirts, so I was too slow. He just measured the distance to my general, checked it was an auto charge, and placed the unit. Then I asked him if that movement was possible with my wolves and his yeomen there. Checking the picture from last turn, I’d say that in no way. Finally we decided to solve it with the yeoman charging to the wolves. Even though, I’m not 100% sure those charges can be done, but I guess we would need to measure it in the field, and it was not feasible anymore. Of course, this meant the end of the battle for me, since that combat was ultra-lost just due to static CR. He also moved the last unit of aspirin knights away from my spider. In magic he didn’t got anything in, so let’s move to combats. He started with the generals, were he challenged with his duke. I accepted and suffered 1 wound, answering with another two for him. Then had to check on a 3 with no reroll. I failed, fled and he caught me. Due to the warboss breaking goblins also fled, and he also caught them, being then able to turn the grails towards the trolls. My wolves bravely killed the yeoman, and the ‘eadbshers hold the grail charge with only 11 deaths, while killing a pair of knights.

OnG6: On my turn I just tried to put the wolves away from dead and regroup the BSB. Orcs killed another two knights, but lost combat by one, failed their steadfast ld test, fled and died. Fast turn, no pics!

KoE6: he decided just to flank charge the trolls with the big unit of grails, not wanting to expose the other two surviving or his general to my vomits. Also, instead of charging my BSB with the aspirin knights he decided to try to use his skull splitter. He was just able to cause him one wound, so he came back home alive :clapping: . Trolls died killing just one grail knight. And that was it.

In the end it was a 20-0 for him. I’m not sure if the 20 was really deserved, but I surely didn’t play my best. I commit some big mistakes with unit positioning (units looking to nowhere, he getting out of my LoS too easily), and didn’t pay enough attention through the whole game. I should have pressed better with the feral, and put him in a combat at least, and should have prevented the cumbersome movements between goblins and trolls. Of course I’m also angry with the FAQ/BRB thing. Charging the grial flank with the ‘eadbashers would have meant a great point swing (making some fast numbers, a difference of 2552 points, and a 15-5 instead) buuut rules where hidden in the FAQ…guess they were faqed for a reason.

So this meant the end of this ST7 for me, a tournament which started pretty well, but ended up being kinda catastrophic. Soon final thoughts and results!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• hey, I didnt know you werent on pc during my movements. How could I? Thats actually pretty mean. And you still had the movement log in the chat in that case.

1) feral. My bottom aspirants unit made pivot and went slightly back. My other unit (with wizard) made reform, facing up. Going something like 2"forward and then 6" wheeel. Yes, you placed him incorrectly.
      And if you just focused on that unit with wizard then - wizards leaves the unit, goes out of LoS, shooting at you in magical phase. Rest of the unit makes 180 degree pivot, and goes away. You charge, they flee, you roll failed and I have next turn of magic.

Feral should have stayed behind that rock on the bottom. And if I would go down with my units, then you will let him harass my flanks.

2) realms charge - they went forward, made wheel, ended like 0,1 " from your riders and went into B2B contact with your general. Since you stated it wasnt possible and I already moved, I just declared charge with yeomans. You hold - I move yeo first and realms can wheel on spot. You flee - i move realms first. No change. I lost 110 points, but was still able to chase down your general.

But you are right about that FAQ. I didnt know that as I only checked the BRB as you did. The rule is from 17.August aparently, so pretty new. And Im very sorry about that. If you would want rematch, I will gladly play anytime.
    • While I wait for the ST7 to finish, so I can post my final conclusions of it, and start with the next tournament, I'll take some of your time to present you a new book, the book in which I will post random paintings for my personal collection, and which can't therefore be included in The Quest. Here the first part of the first short story. Hope to be able to finish them someday (since serious painting projects tend to take loong loong time for me X/ )

Book 3 - Short Stories from a Lost Painter

Unbreakable
      (a.k.a. Skinny Jimmy)

Following popular demand, I started painting my out of scale full scratch ogre. For those interested in it, this is a miniature which I completely modeled back in the summer of 2015 if I'm not wrong, while I was writing my masters thesis...those were some crazy days, were I used to write the thesis from 9 to 21, and then create this thing until 3 or 4 am (or 5 or 6 during weekends). If someone does not know what I mean with full scratch, the miniature is completely done with putty (a mixture of miliput-standard and green stuff to be precise)....well ok, not completely, the giant's head and one of the bags in his back are GW spare pieces, but almost completely. If anyone wants to see more pics of the sculpture, or a size comparison, there are some more in my Cmon gallery.

So I wanted to paint the guy in a cold atmosphere, meaning, lots of blues here and there. So don't get worried for the green-blueish look, is done on purpose. There's still lots to do in the guy, and nothing can be considered as finished, but at least there is already something to show.

Pics are just as they come from my phone camera...I didn't even take the time to cut them :S

You may ask, why 'Unbreakable'? Well, I was listening a lot to Delight and Angers by the time I was sculpting this guy ^^

So, what do you people think about it? Any suggestion, comment, question, angry rant? Everything you can add to the blog will be welcomed! Hope to be able to bring more news soon!!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Well, I've always been more a miniature painter than a player....I've never gone to a tournament, but have several trophies from painting contests at home, for example

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• And since we are talking about painting, one of my busts make it top of the week in Coolmini! Yay!! :hurrah:

I'm sooo happy I need to share this :wink:

It's been a poor week but hey, there it is!

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter

• Haven't finished the last tournament and there is already another one...new book incoming!

Book 4 – Goblin Bigotudo Univerzal Battle Vol 2

MiniPrelude

In the Spanish subforum there is a little tournament organized via UB also which I decided to take part in. I played the first one with my full gobos list, but this time I will play with my first WDG list due to popular demand. Tournament is mostly the same as ST, 3 rounds, swiss, have fun, etc, etc. So not much to say about this, let’s go for the list

B4: GB2 - Chapter 1: The List

As I said in the Preface, I’ve played my whole life with OnG. Never tried another army in anything minimally serious. So this will be my first try to a different thing. And truth be told, I’ve always liked WDG, since they are all that orcs promised and never delivered: a full combat army. An army that can go aggressive and hit you in the face. So no more hiding in a corner, no more huge expensive units of ‘eadbashers not fighting in a whole tournament, no more crying, no more fleeing, no more running. It is time for some action, and I hope this army can try to bring some.

Of course, I’ve almost never played vs WDG. Yes, believe it or not, in more than 15 years playing, and some hundred battles, I may have faced them maybe 4 or 5 times, and only 1 or 2 against players who really knew what they were doing. So I sincerely have no idea how the army works…but don’t panic, it is just one more on the list!

So a few months ago I decided that if I could start a new army, this would be WDG. I was bored at work, and started reading the WDG tactics subforum. I read a lot of listbuilding, tactics and battle reports (from here I’ve got to thank @Kathal, @Krokz @Bobo and @AxelVicious, between many others, for their inspiration), and finally came up with this list. As the last time, we will go step by step.

The general: I was aiming for a full combat list, so to start with, a Lord of Chaos, of course. A good thing of Lords of Chaos is that it is possible to make them killing machines while still being really tanky, unlike orcs, which usually could only be one of the two. Mounted in a disc of change, and with a 4++ he can fly 8” through the battlefield almost safely while bringing his 5 WS8, S5 attacks wherever they may be needed. Add the burning blade of chaos MW(D3), AP(6) and Divine due to Marc of Change, and he may kill almost anything he may find in his way. And finally, a shield which I thought was interesting, the Dueler’s Shield. This way the typical character-killing-hero with 3 attacks who needs a 6 to wound to destroy your superhero has one less opportunity. Summing up, we’ve got:

Casas wrote:

Anointed – Lord of Chaos, Mark of Change, Third Eye of Change, Burning Blade of Chaos, Dueler’s Shield, Talisman of Greater Shielding, Disc of Change – 740
      The BSB: almost every army needs a BSB. Of course there are some with special rules who can go without it (‘ehem hellfist ‘ehem), but if not, rerolling ld is most of the times even better than having a general with higher ld. So I included one of those unkillable chaos BSBs. Easy, rerollable 1+ and great weapon in case he needs to kill something:

Casas wrote:

I am still amazed how easy was to get him to 1+, even without using a shield!

The Wizard: and here comes something I’ve never done: no Wizard. No Wizard?? Nope, no Wizard. It is sad to hear this, but T9A has forced me to try a wizardless army. Not really complaining about it, I think that the possibility of going with magicless armies is great, but maybe they went too far, and magic is now too expensive aaaand…that’s a discussion for another day, back to the list slacker! So yes, instead of a wizard I’m bringing The Anti-Wizard, a Wrath Priest. Cheap, still fighty, wizard master, giving magic resistance to my crazy wrath unit…what else may I need? And Hero Sword fits sooo good on this guy. Also a non-wizard scroll just in case, and the path of the fallen, so he can join his unit, but we will get there:

Casas wrote:

The Barbarian: I saw this on a pair of lists out there and thought it could be interesting. A pesky unit of barbarians coming from your back? I need to try that. Of course, try to keep this guy as cheap as possible:

Casas wrote:

Barbarian ChiefHeavy Armour, Great Weapon, Asklander Jarl – 218

The Core: In core my Barbarian Chief is bringing his own personal guard. Meaning a bunch of crazy naked guys with throwing weapons (so they can be bothering from the moment they arrive), and a musician to get some manoeuvrability. Also a big block of Warriors of the Wastes…yes, I'm a block-like player. Since I wanted this guys to be kind of my anvil, they are going with Mark of Pestilence (almost everybody hitting them on 5+, that’s epic!!). Just try not to make they fight goblins or peasants. I gave them Halberds, so they can still hit hard while not wasting their I4. And finally gave them the banner of speed so they can try to follow the pace of the rest of the army:

Casas wrote:

19xWasteland Warriors – Mark of Pestilence, Halberds, C, M, S, Banner of Speed - 792
      20xBarbarians – Throwing weapons, M – 200

The Elderly: here the main hammer of the army, the hitting guys. So a unit of Wrath Once-Chosen with 5 attacks per model (beware hordes), and a unit of Pestilence Once-Chosen hitting with S6 to deal with the big things. It is a pity this guys can only have a 50 point standard, I would have loved to put some extra spices in them:

Casas wrote:

5xOnce-ChosenMark of Wrath, Paired Weapons, C, M, S – 470
      5xOnce-ChosenMark of Pestilence, Great Weapons, M, S – 510
      I wanted to put Champion on both units, but only one fitted, so went for it in the Wrath unit. Not sure if that was the best choice (technically not, is 1 more S4 attack, instead of S6), but it is there to prevent my Wrath Priest from crazily challenging everybody.

The Redirectors: of course, something I learn from playing coward OnG is that wolves are always a must. Here it was not gonna be different:

Casas wrote:

5xWarhounds – 100
      5xWarhounds – 100

The Monsters: and to fill my need for gargantulas, I added a pair of monsters to the mix. I’ve seen the EDC many times but it was just too expensive for my list. Again, if I know something about this game is that monsters should always come by pairs. So as long as I could keep my general and BSB alive these two things should be able to bring some headaches to my opponents while still being cheap. It is true that I miss a few wounds more (3 at least), or more T, but they can hit really hard in combat. So keep in mind, this things need to be in combat in turn 3 as of late, no matter what!

Casas wrote:

Blood Beast – 315
      Blood Beast – 315

Team pic

Casas - WDG:
      Anointed – Lord of Chaos, Mark of Change, Third Eye of Change, Burning Blade of Chaos, Dueler’s Shield, Talisman of Greater Shielding, Disc of Change – 740
      Anointed – Harbinger of Chaos, Mark of True Chaos, BSB, Great Weapon, Dusk Stone, Dragonscale helm, Waste-Hardened Skin – 440
      Wrath PriestPath of the Fallen, Crown of Scorn, Hero Sword – 300
      Barbarian ChiefHeavy Armour, Great Weapon, Asklander Jarl – 218
      19xWasteland Warriors – Mark of Pestilence, Halberds, C, M, S, Banner of Speed - 792
      20xBarbarians – Throwing weapons, M – 200
      5xOnce-ChosenMark of Wrath, Paired Weapons, C, M, S – 470
      5xOnce-ChosenMark of Pestilence, Great Weapons, M, S – 510
      5xWarhounds – 100
      5xWarhounds – 100
      Blood Beast – 315
      Blood Beast – 315
      Total: 4500

And that’s the list! Will it work as expected? Will I be able to get in combat with it? Or will I keep hiding in a corner waiting for my opponents to come? We will see!

By the way, any comments to the list, opinions, or whatever will be highly appreciated. Additionaly, since it is my first WDG list, it would be great to know if it’s illegal and that stuff :D

Translation-Team ES

Comission Painter