Pinned ID General Chat

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Because it is a larger game, how do you handle the magic phase? Are you increasing the magic dice and veil tokens generated or do you play them as listed in the book?

      Executive Board

      Administrator



      Want to help out? The 9th Age is an all volunteer organization and we're always looking for like-minded folks! Message me if you are interested!!
    • What's everyone's experience using big units of Disciples in the latest version?

      After recent discussions here and with DanT, I thought I would try them out in a list; however it turns out I'd been playing the Theocratic Litigators rule incorrectly....

      Maybe everyone else spotted this, but as the MR2 also applies to enemy units that are in contact for friendly spells. So casting any of the following spells would result in "paying" the MR casting value:

      Hereditary
      Alch: Corruption of Tin
      Occ: Pentagram of Pain, Hand of Glory, Rot Within, Breath of Corruption
      Pyro: Cascading Fire, Flaming Swords

      Specifically, if you're playing Occultism, many of your options are just super expensive here.

      Do players just add extra dice to counter this?
      Play magic light and count on not having to support this unit in combat?
      Or how else do you handle the situation you're making your own magic phase harder for this unit?
      Or is MR just not as big of an issue as I think it is?
    • I run them into things and then use my Hobgoblin to cast Twisted Effigy on his wizard. Suddenly my opponent is at -4 to cast and it totally ruins his magic phase. Of course if he actually stops Twisted Effigy, that's fine because that means my bubbled Flaming Swords went off and all my shooting is now rerolling to wound. Titan Mortars with reroll to wound and +1 to wound is tasty!

      Executive Board

      Administrator



      Want to help out? The 9th Age is an all volunteer organization and we're always looking for like-minded folks! Message me if you are interested!!
    • Grimbold Blackhammer wrote:

      Because it is a larger game, how do you handle the magic phase? Are you increasing the magic dice and veil tokens generated or do you play them as listed in the book?

      Reminder: Official big game bigger magic phase rules exist. They're not required, but I'd love to see someone use them! :)

      Background Team

    • (not commenting in staff role)

      Bit of an aside: I love the lawyery element to the MR rule:
      Display Spoiler

      Me: "ok, so our units are going toe to toe and so they both have magic res. My unit has good stats and aegis 5++. And flaming."
      Opponent: "Right, but the magic res makes it harder to make my unit flammable, you flaming attacks are wasted"
      Me: *casts alchemy spell and puts the attribute on enemy unit, noting that MR makes no difference in this case* "you were saying?"

      Lawyered! :thumbsup:
      List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
      Empire of Dannstahl HERE
    • Grimbold Blackhammer wrote:

      Because it is a larger game, how do you handle the magic phase? Are you increasing the magic dice and veil tokens generated or do you play them as listed in the book?
      We use the basic rules for everything, same for the magic phase :)

      Even if we are in 7000 points, we only played with 5/6 spell per games (1 master + 1 adept ; 2 or 3 adept).
      My friend prefer a single master with 4 spells most of the time (or 5 spells with the magical heirlroom).

      Magic dice could be lower some times so we try to have at least Channel (3) on our game to maximise them.
      And we focus on casting modifiers to try to pass a lot of spells (Book of arcane mastery for example, or tablett for ID or magical forest for BH).
      To illustrate this on my previous list, you can see 2 spellcasters (so channel (2). If my opponent give me channel (1) on Lamassu it's a good point for me.
      If he give me a 5th spell, I have tablett to manage my magic phase with 3 dice /spells.

      For each magic phase, we think a "storm" of little casting value could be better than a big 5 dices spell.
      So we try to cast around 4 spells (with 2/3 dices).
      Maybee little for my friend (with his DE caster he have a -1 that do not help him). So 3/4 spells for him, but much more harder to dispel.

      About this 4 spells,1/2 fails (random dice), 1 spell is dispell by opponent, 1 spell is a succes.

      It's a small equilibrium and well balanced.
      If one army have more luck or mischance (2 spells succes on a round), Magic take a really big importance in the game and that could lead to a quick victory.

      Hope it answer to your question :)

      Dahou
    • durion wrote:

      What's everyone's experience using big units of Disciples in the latest version?

      After recent discussions here and with DanT, I thought I would try them out in a list; however it turns out I'd been playing the Theocratic Litigators rule incorrectly....

      Maybe everyone else spotted this, but as the MR2 also applies to enemy units that are in contact for friendly spells. So casting any of the following spells would result in "paying" the MR casting value:

      Hereditary
      Alch: Corruption of Tin
      Occ: Pentagram of Pain, Hand of Glory, Rot Within, Breath of Corruption
      Pyro: Cascading Fire, Flaming Swords

      Specifically, if you're playing Occultism, many of your options are just super expensive here.

      Do players just add extra dice to counter this?
      Play magic light and count on not having to support this unit in combat?
      Or how else do you handle the situation you're making your own magic phase harder for this unit?
      Or is MR just not as big of an issue as I think it is?
      The rules of this unit is very interesting because it opens up game options for you.

      - Army Full MR (with bigs units) (2 *30 lugar and 1 *30 immortel with characters MR...)
      - Sacrificial unit that makes a good lawless area half hidden behind his house and You will concentrateyour magic elsewhere (small units)
      - Unit very well with a master, to do damage. Spell items are also good because not impacted (road to battle/ golden idol)

      On the other hand, if you want a list with lots of reinforcement spells (lamassu + master), it's not the best unit i think
    • DanT wrote:

      (not commenting in staff role)

      Bit of an aside: I love the lawyery element to the MR rule:
      Display Spoiler

      Me: "ok, so our units are going toe to toe and so they both have magic res. My unit has good stats and aegis 5++. And flaming."
      Opponent: "Right, but the magic res makes it harder to make my unit flammable, you flaming attacks are wasted"
      Me: *casts alchemy spell and puts the attribute on enemy unit, noting that MR makes no difference in this case* "you were saying?"

      Lawyered! :thumbsup:

      Do not think that it can be called lawyering. Quite standard practise.
      DH - main
      WODG - secondary
      OK - reborn be my childhood army
      DL - side project
    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?

      They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.


      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?
      Free command groups for standard infantry
    • Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?
      They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.


      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?

      Because sometimes their friends and allies ask them to help in battle and they answer the call?

      I said peaceful, not pacifist. They live in a violent world. Just because they don't like being the cause of battles doesn't mean they won't help their friend Kazhab survive being in one.

      Background Team

    • I have been using slaves as well. Soft cover is very nice and I get a free chaff tarpit to boot and if im really lucky and my enemy gives a juicy flank I can charge with them hehe. I would like to second that our core is very competitive internally.

      How are people liking the mass ranked blunderbuss units? I feel they are too unwieldy to be super effective right now but would like to hear peoples feedback based on experience. I love them on the baby taurukhs I will say.
    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.


      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?
      Because sometimes their friends and allies ask them to help in battle and they answer the call?

      I said peaceful, not pacifist. They live in a violent world. Just because they don't like being the cause of battles doesn't mean they won't help their friend Kazhab survive being in one.
      I’m sorry but the ID fluff is terrible. It’s actually so bad it’s put me off 9th fluff.

      Then a lammasu all of a sudden being smarter and more peaceful than every dwarf in the fluff but now (and game wise) isn’t the leader? And isn’t in charge of spell selection?
      Free command groups for standard infantry

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Cam ().

    • Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.

      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?
      Because sometimes their friends and allies ask them to help in battle and they answer the call?
      I said peaceful, not pacifist. They live in a violent world. Just because they don't like being the cause of battles doesn't mean they won't help their friend Kazhab survive being in one.
      I’m sorry but the ID fluff is terrible. It’s actually so bad it’s put me off 9th fluff. The full fluff is actually a disgrace tbh.
      Then a lammasu all of a sudden being smarter and more peaceful than every dwarf in the fluff but now (and game wise) isn’t the leader? And isn’t in charge of spell selection?
      lmao look at the real world and all the societies ruled by its smartest most peaceful people. I can totally imagine a spiteful race of dwarves dismissing peace as weakness in favor of strength and wealth and stoking the fires of war.
    • Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.

      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?
      Because sometimes their friends and allies ask them to help in battle and they answer the call?
      I said peaceful, not pacifist. They live in a violent world. Just because they don't like being the cause of battles doesn't mean they won't help their friend Kazhab survive being in one.
      I’m sorry but the ID fluff is terrible. It’s actually so bad it’s put me off 9th fluff. The full fluff is actually a disgrace tbh.
      Then a lammasu all of a sudden being smarter and more peaceful than every dwarf in the fluff but now (and game wise) isn’t the leader? And isn’t in charge of spell selection?

      We never said they were smarter than every dwarf?

      They're not better at magic than the dwarves (observe lack of Masters), so really not sure where you got that from?

      Their unusual spell selection ties into them being peaceful and supportive though - they don't have normal blasting spells.


      If you would like to explain what you dislike about the background (either ID in specific or in general), I am listening - why do you object to Lammasu being peaceful and not in charge? This isn't their book.

      Background Team

    • YungPabby wrote:

      I have been using slaves as well. Soft cover is very nice and I get a free chaff tarpit to boot and if im really lucky and my enemy gives a juicy flank I can charge with them hehe. I would like to second that our core is very competitive internally.

      How are people liking the mass ranked blunderbuss units? I feel they are too unwieldy to be super effective right now but would like to hear peoples feedback based on experience. I love them on the baby taurukhs I will say.
      I've been using a unit of 20 with shields, and their defence has been pretty useful in jamming units in place. Even though the shields rule had been mostly useless in that matchup (Vamps), they still stalled a Vark for a while and managed to rally after breaking, leading to the unit in question being caught in the open and finished off with ranged attacks.

      Lord of the Hobby

      The Great Horde of Chaos <-My hobby blog Tyranno's Ride into the Steppes <-My Makhar hobby/army-list blog
    • WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Cam wrote:

      WhammeWhamme wrote:

      Jarec wrote:

      What's the reason Lammasu having Not a Leader. Would be fun having an army lead by a flying manbearpig.
      Because they're... not a leader?They're peaceful scholars (note that their stat profile is worse than manticores, chimerae, wyverns etc. accordingly) with no interest or expertise in commanding armies.
      It's also mechanically fairly redundant (as an option) with the Prophet of Shamut (who can ride Bulls), and would probably raise the cost of the Lammasu to remove it (as it is a drawback).
      If they’re peaceful why they in the army book?
      Because sometimes their friends and allies ask them to help in battle and they answer the call?I said peaceful, not pacifist. They live in a violent world. Just because they don't like being the cause of battles doesn't mean they won't help their friend Kazhab survive being in one.
      I’m sorry but the ID fluff is terrible. It’s actually so bad it’s put me off 9th fluff. The full fluff is actually a disgrace tbh.Then a lammasu all of a sudden being smarter and more peaceful than every dwarf in the fluff but now (and game wise) isn’t the leader? And isn’t in charge of spell selection?
      We never said they were smarter than every dwarf?

      They're not better at magic than the dwarves (observe lack of Masters), so really not sure where you got that from?

      Their unusual spell selection ties into them being peaceful and supportive though - they don't have normal blasting spells.


      If you would like to explain what you dislike about the background (either ID in specific or in general), I am listening - why do you object to Lammasu being peaceful and not in charge? This isn't their book.
      If he’s a peaceful scholar why is he on the battlefield? Like at all?

      No offence but the background is untouchable on the forum so won’t bother. But yeah I don’t like the ID background and looking at the SA stuff that isn’t my cup of tea either, so it’s maybe just a personal thing.
      Free command groups for standard infantry