Pinned 2.0 BH Beta Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • 2.0 BH Beta Discussion Thread

    So the day is almost finally here ! Tomorrow we get the official release of the Beast Herds beta book for 2.0 ! :BH:
    The Communities Role in this Beta
    Display Spoiler
    This means from tomorrow onward myself and @goatman will be here to field your concerns/comments on what we like or perhaps think needs work on our book over the next few weeks as this is going to be a public beta and not a final book in any way. All the communities feedback will be complied by your ACS team (us guys) and forwards on to the relevant rules/balancing departments.


    So we would like to propose that this thread be your first port of call for any feedback and questions and we look forward to discussing the book with you lot tomorrrow ! We hope you will be as pleased with the outcomes as we we're ! It's some very impressive work from the team !

    Oh and while you guys wait these final 24 or so hours.................. here's a little treat courtesy of @Santa Blonde Beer


    Enjoy ;)
    ETC 2023: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2022: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2021: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2020: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2019: Ireland :ID:
    ETC 2018: Ireland :O&G:
  • List of links to 2.0 BH related files for your ease:

    Main Rulebook :


    Magic Paths:


    Beast Herds Army Book :
    ETC 2023: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2022: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2021: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2020: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2019: Ireland :ID:
    ETC 2018: Ireland :O&G:

    The post was edited 1 time, last by JamesMcDonnell ().

  • I really like quite a lot of the changes implemented here - particularly Di9 on the Mino Warlord and I'm really excited about the new Giant Rules

    I am really curious to see how the new Line Formation rules affect how a unit of Wildhorns with Paired Weapons and Banner of the Wild Herd perform. Previously these guys seemed much too good even though I was the one using them! I get that the no longer will be +1 Agi but core Offensive Skill 5 troops with re-rolls to hit seems pretty incredible for 10pts/model. Surprised they didn't see a points per model increase but perhaps the new line formation changes will be enough - only time on the battlefield will tell!

    Still, I am very interested and excited about the new changes - looking forward to giving them a go. A big thank you to all the volunteers who worked to get this stuff out right before the holidays - cheers!
  • Debonair Bear wrote:

    I really like quite a lot of the changes implemented here - particularly Di9 on the Mino Warlord and I'm really excited about the new Giant Rules

    I am really curious to see how the new Line Formation rules affect how a unit of Wildhorns with Paired Weapons and Banner of the Wild Herd perform. Previously these guys seemed much too good even though I was the one using them! I get that the no longer will be +1 Agi but core Offensive Skill 5 troops with re-rolls to hit seems pretty incredible for 10pts/model. Surprised they didn't see a points per model increase but perhaps the new line formation changes will be enough - only time on the battlefield will tell!

    Still, I am very interested and excited about the new changes - looking forward to giving them a go. A big thank you to all the volunteers who worked to get this stuff out right before the holidays - cheers!
    Well with your paired weapons to get to offensive skill 5 you're looking at 12 points a model and theyre still only str 3 until we pay for a banner...... so I feel they have power potential but only after you sink points into them which is balanced ?

    Enjoy the book and make sure to give us some feedback after a few games ! Can't wait to start running giants again myself they look brilliant now
    ETC 2023: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2022: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2021: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2020: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2019: Ireland :ID:
    ETC 2018: Ireland :O&G:
  • I like how the army looks now. Some changes won't affect me one bit (like increasing minimal unit size of the Wildhorns), some changes are good to have been introduced to the community (like ditching the unkillable Razortusk chariot Beastlords).

    The one thing that has question mark above its head is now Giant...
    The tossing barrel is great (I would conider that as an option) but with that it is just marginally cheaper than Cyclops. With Ld reduction and loss of Stubborn, it can't operate as an independant operator any more. :| :|
    :BH: :DL:
  • Oh yes it can. ;) Especially if you field 3 and a Gortach. But, shhhh :whistling: Don’t tell anybody. You WANT them to be shot, cause in their Fury, they dish out some pain. Stay close to woods when using Barrels so you can swap out. The barrel isn’t game changing, but it helps to clear out a chaff unit here and there, or to soften up a target. I think you will see giants in every army that can field them now. They are my new favorite.
    B. "MF’ing" Jones - CGL Member

    D.L.- ADT - TT

    Campaign Design-Broken Isles

    Adv. Magic & Giants Design

    PlaytestTeam-Mid Atlantic USA

    Vermin Swarms LAB TT

  • I have a feeling that BH got some serious buffs in this edition. Giants, really tough lords/heroes (still got bluffer's helm) with still high armor (chariots? :) and was supposed to be weakness), better control over frenzy (Minotaurs come back to play), increased reliability of totems (with current magic mechanism; you can really lay without shaman; and shaman's themselves got access to some better defense via light armor), 0-3 beast banner (100% reliable "no.1 spell" from shamanism) on ambushing units, smaller horde size (Longhorns anyone?)... We don't know full scope of changes in other armies but I think there will be some serious grumble against BH...
  • Well I can say that other can just whine but the protection of our characters got worse than it was.
    I am not saying it is a bad thing but comparing the version before this one and this one - the characters got less protection.

    Before there were 2 4+ Ward saves (one through armour and another talisman) and 2 5+ Ward saves (again one armour and talisman) and 2x 4+ regeneration.
    Now there is only one 4+ Ward through armour that can't be placed on character on chariot or minotaur, one 5+ Ward talisman and 2 4+ regeneration saves. Flaming banners are 0-3 so it's not how it was before. Also, no more 1+As Beastlord in Razor Chariot.

    Horde formation changed for all so we didn't get too much boost. The real boost for the Longhorns is the fact that they get stubborn with Chieftain as well as Beastlord but that change was waited for because Longhorns were the only bodyguard uunit that needed only one type of character to be stubborn.

    I would say Beasts got fine tuned rather than clearly improved.

    @skripschnit - I bet that the 3 giants that work as a single force would work well, especially in forrest with autohits from tree trunks and tossing beer barrels but that role clearly changed from the version before when they were stubborn on Ld 10. That's what I ment. ;)
    :BH: :DL:
  • Hruggek wrote:

    Before there were 2 4+ Ward saves (one through armour and another talisman) and 2 5+ Ward saves (again one armour and talisman) and 2x 4+ regeneration.

    Now there is only one 4+ Ward through armour that can't be placed on character on chariot or minotaur, one 5+ Ward talisman and 2 4+ regeneration saves. Flaming banners are 0-3 so it's not how it was before. Also, no more 1+As Beastlord in Razor Chariot.
    But it is the same for every army out there - ward (sorry - "aegis") save got toned-down across the board. Flaming banners are 0-3 but one use only :) BH are the only ones who got Bluffer's (+additional enchantment increasing resilience + regen). There are no. 1+ AR but 2+ is easily available and it was supposed to be weakness (in many armies it is difficult to get to 2+ AR :) ). Don't forget access to Druidism as a survival factor + rules/enchantments giving pseudo-vampirism (twin hungers + gortach). Mages got CC buff at very cheap price - now they have dual role at quarter the cost other armies pay for being universal... (not that they are really necessary; especially with BH "magic forest" around).

    Hruggek wrote:

    Horde formation changed for all so we didn't get too much boost. The real boost for the Longhorns is the fact that they get stubborn with Chieftain as well as Beastlord but that change was waited for because Longhorns were the only bodyguard uunit that needed only one type of character to be stubborn.
    There is a change :) To get full out of the horde you need 3 ranks fighting so you need less models now (and previous 10 models per rank was really ineffective for unit with 25mm base) - easier to get hordes instead of one. Halberds, re-roll to hit, blackwing totem and you get 24A 5S at I6 with effective swiftstride (2d6+d3+1 charge range) per 581 points total...
  • wokrze wrote:

    Hruggek wrote:

    Horde formation changed for all so we didn't get too much boost. The real boost for the Longhorns is the fact that they get stubborn with Chieftain as well as Beastlord but that change was waited for because Longhorns were the only bodyguard uunit that needed only one type of character to be stubborn.
    There is a change :) To get full out of the horde you need 3 ranks fighting so you need less models now (and previous 10 models per rank was really ineffective for unit with 25mm base) - easier to get hordes instead of one. Halberds, re-roll to hit, blackwing totem and you get 24A 5S at I6 with effective swiftstride (2d6+d3+1 charge range) per 581 points total...
    But the horde change is a global change, it's not like only Beastmen get the horde with frontage of 8 and all the rest still have to use 10 models. The Beastmen aren't only army with elite infantry with 25mm bases either. There are Warriors, Orcs and Saurus too and they all got improved in that way so noone can say - "Horde is now 8 wide, Beastmen got better with that". Everyone got better, from Longhorns to Empire halberdiers.

    Regarding the common armour that grants 4+ Aegis.... Only Centaur chieftain and Beastlord/Chieftain/Soothsayer can use it. No mounted characters, no Minotaur kin characters. In other armies, things that are classified as standard size can even be cavalry so compared to other armies, that is a loss for Beastmen.
    :BH: :DL:
  • I think the biggest offenders in our book (MS-ambushing-U spam, Unkillable chariot beastlord and gortarch) were toned down or reworked a bit. The rest of changes are oriented towards the army directions and trying to get a better internal balance.

    Keep in mind this is a beta and may change in the following months :).

    BH Army Community Support

    Mathemagician

    Stop SE favouritism! we want green nametags for everyone!
  • emmm trying to make a list emmm... wtf... are now mounter characters viable? most of good armor enchants are only standar size models and i dont like too much regen.... you know... lethal strike...fire... and GG if you dont have any armor (like are now the characters) so ... its now more viable to use minotaur warlord? liked the +1 to charge with the chariot but the character is a lot worst so ...

    And im thinking about totems...mmmm not sure but its better to have a mage with +1 because using 2 o 3 dices for only 1 totem....:S worth it totems now or?
  • SnakeEyes wrote:

    Two questions:
    1) Is it intentional that Longhorns don't have scoring in their unit entry?

    2) Since the new Eye of Dominance includes Cavalry in the list of models that will hit the bearer only on a 6+, could you shove your Minotaur Warlord into a unit of Knights and they wouldn't be able to put the hurt on him?
    Oh no that would be a mistake well spotted !
    ETC 2023: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2022: Ireland (C) :WDG_bw:
    ETC 2021: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2020: Ireland (C)
    ETC 2019: Ireland :ID:
    ETC 2018: Ireland :O&G: