Vermin Anteaters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Vermin Anteaters

EDIT: latest version of the Army Book to be found here: Vermin Anteaters

-=-=-

This thread is designed for building a T9A army, the Vermin Anteaters.
      This is intended to be an Auxiliary Book for the Vermin Swarm. They could be represented by Rat models, of course, but also by Gnolls models.
      Vermin Anteaters will take some loose inspiration from the culture of the Dogons and neighbouring tribes of the Niger Valley, who live in cliffs.
      Indeed, Vermin Anteaters live in caves emerging from such cliffs, but also in gigantic termitaries emerging from the dry plains.
      They are renown for mining the mysterious darkstone. We will explore some interesting effects it may have on them.
      They may eat ants and termites, nobody knows for sure, the nickname "anteaters" is given by their neighbours, inspired from their subterranean life.

The series of Taphrian Homebrew was initiated thanks to @Ghiznuk, in It's time for Africa !
      The goal here is not merely to find an exotic setting for models.
      What we want to achieve is to take inspiration from some of the most glorious or fascinating pages of the History and Folklore of various African peoples, and realize from that a quality extension of T9A, which will give justice to the African continent and its cultures, too often forgotten in Fantasy games.

This thread is created as the Vermin Anteaters AB is only a vision.
      This is where volunteers will combine efforts to make it happen.

We will explore:
      - the background
      - the army rules (note that as it is envisioned to be an Auxiliary Book, it will inherit VS' ASAW and some Army Rules, Characters, Troops...)
      - possible models.

Please participate!

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • 1. Background.
      Initial research in It's time for Africa !
      BG in T9A material
      No mention anywhere of Vermins in Taphria, so we can assume that they are well hidden. They control no longer any city in Vetia either.
      Reports of man-sized rats with gleaming eyes and sharp black blades always abound, but few consider these isolated incidents to be cause for concern.

BG in RL and legendary material

Cultural inspiration:
      Dry Savannah with baobab trees. Madagascar landscape and background could be used.

Ghiznuk wrote:

Also, I read that the people directly South of Djenné/Timbuktu/Gao, that is, the territory of modern Burkina Faso, were never integrated in any way to the Mali empire nor the Songhai.
      They did not trade, did not send embassies, nothing is known about them, except the fact that several times in history, they launched raids and at one point took Timbuktu, pillaged it and went back home. Several Songhai emperors organised crusades against them until they disappeared.
      Modern historians understand that this warrior people is not necessarily an ancestor of the modern Mossi people.

Suddenly I was thinking that all the people of that dry highland territory between the Niger valley in the North and the forests in the South, and who are famous for their fortified villages (see here) as well as the Dogon with their cliff-hanging towns, could be some Vermin nation living in giant anthills / dug-in rocky bluffs, and having no interaction with the surrounding human nations other than war.

Inspiration for the local Vermins:

Scylla wrote:

I love this concept. A more gnoll-like, less sophisticated society of vermin living in harsher conditions - sunlight and heat outside, limited access to water and greens plants... It would survive on eating insects and roots, cultivating mushrooms (like some ants do) and raiding on the surface level for big game and slaves to store and eat.Their xenophoby, isolation and limited access to metal would prevent them from reaching the technology level of the vermin society of Avras and elsewhere, though they may steal weapon ideas from surrounding nations. In combat they would have less shooting options but possibly some fast light units (hyenas-rats: finally a reason to use the wolf-rats from Forgeworld) and a new breed of digging hulks? Their overall playstyle would move a bit towards the brutal tactics of the beast herds while retaining the core mechanisms of the vermin swarm.

Army
      VS AB. The main change may be the choice of the animal to replace rats as the main source of inspiration:
      Gnolls, Anteaters, pangolins, porcupines
      Then, probably most of the technological weaponry would feel out of theme, whereas swarms, monster, monstrous beasts and infantryseem totally adequate.

2. Army Book:
      Auxiliary Army Book of The Vermin Swarm.

3. Brainstorming.

Calisson wrote:

For the Vermins, I suggested the nickname Anteater as a dismissive name given by surrounding civilizations. This allows to use rats or hyenas, not necessarily anteaters, as basis.

For mimicking neighbors, they could blend a mockery of Koghi with some traits of termites, that would fit. They mimick also insect civilizations!

Remember that they are the ones with the widest access to Darkstone. They must functionally dig mines - and live shortly after doing weird stuff, as if they were digging out bare hand highly radioactive material.

Background team just discussed internally VS background.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• I understand the intention here and it could be interesting, but I'd be very careful about comparing any real culture to Vermin.

Also, can we please move away from the name Gnoll? I mean, I've been a D&D players for decades, but it's just not a very good name.

Also, if we don't use rats, and they don't have tech, what makes them a Rat auxillary book, instead of another Beastman army?
      A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

Do you hear the Ratmen sing, singing the songs of angry rats?
      It's the music of Avrasi, who will not be slaves again!
      When the beating of your heart, matches the ringing of the bell,
      There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!
      Will you roll all of your dice so that our banner may advance?
      Some will burn and some will run, will you stand up and take your chance?
    • 3. Models and artwork

Setting

Ghiznuk wrote:

OK, so that's what I was thinking about. They should mimic Koghi civilization while at the same time having their own rodent alien traits.

Still, we coud draw for them on some of the weird things appearing in that part of West Africa.

Reading somewhere there that termites cultivate fungus in their tunnels. Vermin could too ;)
      Models

Ghiznuk wrote:

And we should seriously think about making them more Gnoll-like than Rat-like. I just love these !!!

Hyenas are (said to be) parasitic animals, they could as well steal Human culture as well as their spoils !
      Could there be any way of writing some fluff justifying the link between the Ratmen and the Hyenamen ?

Ghiznuk wrote:

Sorry I think we never actually imagined them as actual anteaters
      This is noone's wish.
      We said anteaters because they feed on insects and other stuff that a normal human wouldn't touch, in other words, they are carrion.
      And they live in citadels that look like anthills.

The description written by @Scylla made me burst of laughter !!
      Vermins walking in the tall grass in long lines like ants, that is excellent !
      Maybe with two lines of elite warriors on each side, just like the real ants do :largegrin:

Do they also build living bridges over rivers ? :D

I'm not in favour of them being part Hyena, part Rat.
      In my opinion, they should be either this or that.
      I don't mind hyenas living in a hole. Actually, they do live in tunnels, though not very extensive ones.

I mean, Apes live in trees, Humans don't.
      Surely Hyena-men can live in more complex houses than the mundane beasts they've evolved from ?

And yes, they should be an Auxiliary list for Vermin (having roughly the same rules and units, which doesn't mean they should be of the exact same species ! they can still be gnoll while having a skaven's profile i don't see a problem in that), unless someone's got really cool ideas that'd justify making a full new army for them ;)

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• One interesting aspect, if we're using both Hyenas and Termites as inspirations: both are very communal, which fits the Vermin well, but more interestingly, Hyenas are matriarchal, and in Termites, of course, like in all Hymenopterans, females vastly outnumber males and make up workers, soldiers and reproductives.

It would give us a design space to finally talk about female vermin a bit more.

Edit: would they have to be gnolls? I would honestly prefer not introducing yet another intelligent race to this world. Not only does it feel very crowded already with its many roughly similar humanoids, I'd rather design another Vermin culture, not an entirely new race. One of my pet peeves in fantasy has always been monocultural races. If we can have several humans, elves and dwarves, why not several vermin?

• Oh, and as a replacement for weapon teams: colossus mutants with bioweapons implanted in their heads, tyranid style! Termites have them already.

• Eldan wrote:

I understand the intention here and it could be interesting, but I'd be very careful about comparing any real culture to Vermin.
      Indeed.
      The leader of this initiative is an authentic Ivorian, from the country just south of Dogons. He will make sure that we remain respectful, from an African perspective. The rest of the team is sensitive as well to this concern.

-=-=-

Eldan wrote:

can we please move away from the name Gnoll? I mean, I've been a D&D players for decades, but it's just not a very good name.
      Also, if we don't use rats, and they don't have tech, what makes them a Rat auxillary book, instead of another Beastman army?
      This book is targeted at Vermin Swarm players, current or would-be.
      For current players, it should provide an inspiration to model an army in an African style, or to play with alternative rules for a change, or both.
      For would-be players who may be inspired enough by this work (if we succeed!), it should provide a reason to start an army and play it. Later, that very army could serve as a foundation for a real VS army.

There will be another Auxiliary Book in Taphria intended for BH, but that will be for another time.

So we want this to be a VS Aux Book.
      What makes this faction VS?
      - Because they live underground in densely populated tunnels.
      - Because they mine Darkstone.
      - Because they hardly interact with neighbours.

What makes this faction different from VS?
      - No reference to Roman Avras imperial culture
      - Less technology - however, nothing prevents local ironsmith to be as weirdly creative as VS Rakachits.

-=-=-
      We will use exclusively the words Vermin Anteaters. Not Gnolls, not Hyenas, etc.
      We could use Gnolls or Hyenas conceps such as matricarchy.
      Players could use regular Vermin models, or Gnolls, or Hyenas.
      No matter, the creatures discussed here will be called Vermin Anteaters.

For the background, we need to discuss whether Vermin Anteaters are regular Vermins with a different culture, or distant cousins, or nothing related.
      Probably they are in relation with the Vermins living under Avras, in particular since Anteaters are the main miners of darkstone. We need to discuss therefore how darkstone is traded among Vermins.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Having them be the main miners of Darkstone, and Africa-inspired, connects them in my mind more to Mali or Nubia to me. Gold mining regions.

I'd absolutely keep them as regular Vermin. Make them another culture, about as different as the various elves and dwarves. Which is still quite different.

So, moving away from background, what would their style of fighting be like? What would the actual army list look like? if we take out just the war machines, we end up with a tiny and very restricted list that lacks punch. Horde infantry and a couple of creatures don't make an army. They need something unique.

So, starting with some unit ideas:
      Light cavalry. Mainly because this got me thinking about the African (North-African, though, not Subsaharan) cavalry the Romans and Carthaginians liked to use. Literal cavalry seems weird for Vermin, but that could be the niche for hyenas. Poach the stats for wolf rats, call them trained hyenas, make them our cavalry arm.

Skirmishers. Bring back the slinger units and show why they were the most terrifying ranged units of their time.

Darkstone. Sure, they can not refine it and forge it into guns, bullets and lighting. They can certainly hit you with it, though!

Therefore, I propose: the Darkstone Slinger. Now, Darkstone is dangerous. Very much so. Until I hear much else about it, I will argue it should be kept radioactive and poisonous. So the Darkstone Slinger would be almost like a kind of leper in their society. Sick, dying, outcast. But they would have the Darkstone Sling, which is a terrifying weapon.

If we want to go crazy: the Darkstone Catapult. Just throw giant rocks of the stuff at people. Turn the entire battlefield into irradiated wasteland. We don't care. (Is it too complicated to represent Darkstone Rock as terrain pieces that slowly kill everyone near them, so they can be slung into the enemy half of the battlefield as area denial?)

Since you mentioned crazy iron smiths, I'd like to suggest the idea of armored war beasts. Something huge and heavy, just pushing a giant amount of steal. Some kind of rat-elephant hybrid, maybe, but armored, with a ram.

However, we should avoid focusing on the beasts too much, as that puts them into competition with the Fetis. Not thematically, as I see them as having neither healers nor gladiators as such, but in army list competition.

As for how darkstone makes its way into the lands of the Avrastes, I propose that the Sicaran league, which is more based on the Italian city staes, could also partially take a more Portuguese role, mixed with Venetian. They could have coastal outposts, ships and trade caravans and thereby connect the Ant Eaters with the Avrastes.

• addendum: apart from Anteater, has an endonym been discussed?

• Eldan wrote:

addendum: apart from Anteater, has an endonym been discussed?
      No, it was my initial suggestion and was not challenged. A better name is open for discussion, of course.

Eldan wrote:

I'd absolutely keep them as regular Vermin. Make them another culture, about as different as the various elves and dwarves. Which is still quite different.
      That is why we appreciate to have VS players give your advice! No problem for me.

Eldan wrote:

Having them be the main miners of Darkstone, and Africa-inspired, connects them in my mind more to Mali or Nubia to me. Gold mining regions.
      Close to Mali: Burkina Faso.
      Actually, in RL, gold came from further south, Malians were only traders of gold.
      Actually, in RL, uranium comes from either more North-East (Niger) or more South (Gabon).
      Never mind, this is where the main resources of Darkstone will be located, and we intend to take inspiration from the natural nuclear reactor of Okio to imagine all kinds of weird consequences.

Eldan wrote:

what would their style of fighting be like? What would the actual army list look like? if we take out just the war machines, we end up with a tiny and very restricted list that lacks punch. Horde infantry and a couple of creatures don't make an army. They need something unique.
      Thanks for all your suggestions! :largegrin:

What I had in mind was to make them really swarms.
      The starting point is that Vermins have sensitive whiskers, sensitive tails, large eyes giving them excellent lateral vision, large ears.
      They must be exceptionally aware of anything going on in proximity.
      I would like to see a unit moving really like a swarm, thanks to these properties, and very distinctively from Humans.
      For example, all Vermins should IMO move like Light Troops, but get the normal Full Ranks. This alone could give Anteaters an immediate fluidity which, alone, would transform the playstyle.
      At the moment, having VS follow just the same rules as everyone else tells me that they are considered like Mickey Mouse, not really like another species.

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• Oh, the name Anteaters is fine. I was more wondering about endonyms. I.e. what they call themselves. Just like the book is called Vermin Swarm, not Republic of Avras or the Rat Legion. After all, our dear rats would see themselves as neither worms nor an unorganized swarm.

Now, the problem with swarms in the current rules of the ninth age is that they don't win games. They need more than that. Swarms are for the most part just area denial and roadblocks. We need a few hammers, especially if we lack artillery and medium weapons.

As for their senses, as long as perception is not part of the rules, I don't see how that would change the rules al ot, really, as this is not one of those more detailed wargames where there's rules for orders, messages, terrain, weather and sight lines.

Though I suppose light troops with swarm would be a good start.

Can we poach the swarm rules from my Rakatoi book?

The problem with basing anything on natural nuclear fission reactors, whether they be Oklo or any others, is that in nature, they don't do much. A bit of heat, some weird isotopes. They were only detected when people started analyzing isotope anomalies. The very first question would have to be what a natural darkstone reactor would mean in the setting.

• Eldan wrote:

We need a few hammers, especially if we lack artillery and medium weapons.
      They could have access to weird creatures from the underground. Giant rat-moles?

Eldan wrote:

Can we poach the swarm rules from my Rakatoi book?
      Sure.

Eldan wrote:

The very first question would have to be what a natural darkstone reactor would mean in the setting.
      Well, just Googling Chenobyl Mutant, there are some suggestions (probably fake, but it does not matter for us).

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

• That's fake, yeah. Not to say that Teratogens aren't real. Interestingly, a lot of animals and plants are doing surprisingly well around chernobyl, because it's free of humans. For proper images of Chernobyl mutants, you may want to google Cornelia Hesse Honegger, a scientific illustrator who spent a considerable amount of time there.

As for giant rat moles, sure. Give them the Tunneling beast, I can copy-paste over the stats.

• Calisson wrote:

For example, all Vermins should IMO move like Light Troops, but get the normal Full Ranks. This alone could give Anteaters an immediate fluidity which, alone, would transform the playstyle.
      @Calisson, WHAT ?! :largegrin:
      You must be either joking or trolling me !!

-–––––––––––––––

I think we need to copy-paste @'Scylla''s view of the Anteaters moving in columns like termites in the posts above, as it was an excellent idea.

Eldan wrote:

Since you mentioned crazy iron smiths, I'd like to suggest the idea of armored war beasts. Something huge and heavy, just pushing a giant amount of steal. Some kind of rat-elephant hybrid, maybe, but armored, with a ram.
      You mean like a dung-pushing scarab ? :D

It could be a very big scarab pushing a giant ball of iron.
      Or a giant ball of dung !

––––––––––––––––

@Calisson – don't forget the Bohicon !!!
      The Vermin are using it against Koghi after they rejected him !

––––––––––––––––

Calisson wrote:

The leader of this initiative is an authentic Ivorian, from the country just south of Dogons. He will make sure that we remain respectful, from an African perspective. The rest of the team is sensitive as well to this concern.
      Only third generation though, the first black-blood generation of my family is the fourth one :D

And to be honest, Ivorians are not always very fair nor politcally correct when it comes to describe people from Burkina and Mali :whistling:

–––––––––––––––––

I don't see our Taphrian Vermin being very much involved in the Darkstone business.
      I just see them scrapping dirt in the savannah around their giant mudhills, gathering pebbles, wood, and growing mushrooms.
      I don't even see them having much of a subterranean life outside the fact that they live underground ; they should like spend at least half their day outside.

What about giving them basic Strength 2 ?

Then they can have much stronger Hyena-men mercenaries hanging around.
      Or they can have much stronger warriors with Str 4/Res 4 to guard them.

–––––––––––––––––

I rather like Hyena men, especially since we removed them from Vanhu in order to keep them for either Vermin or Beast Herds.
      And since we discussed the fact that Beast Herds should be all ongulates……

–––––––––––––––––

In my understanding Hyenas are allies of the Rat-Vermin, but they are two different species. They unite because Humans hate both of them, though they have different cultures.

–––––––––––––––––

Taphrian Vermins should have a totally different culture, I totally agree.
      Like, they don't even have to be friends.
      The Avrasi Vermin could consider the Taphrian ones to be primitive and not worth caring, just like European Humans used to consider African Humans.

–––––––––––––––––

Pangolin. Like the one on the attached pic. Found her (she's a pregnant female) in the cashew plantation. They said it would make good soup.

–––––––––––––––––

I love the idea of this army being an alliance of those weird beasts of the savannah.
      Pangolins, porcupines, giant bushrats… and the bohicon.

« Revenge for our brothers ! »

« YOUR DEATH… WILL BE AVENGED ! »

What I like with this beast, the Agouti, is that they look a lot like the WoW Kobolds that I was imagining all along for this army.

So, if you're looking for a cool endonym, we could imagine this, « Agouti », translated into local languages.

I know that it's a « kpêma » in Baoulé language.

I found here that they're called « seere » (sg.) or « seya » (pl.) in Moore, the language of Burkina.

They're « môôwô » in Senufo, a language of Northern Côte d'Ivoire / SouthWest Burkina.

In Bambara language, which is the language of Mali and… of the Koghi Empire, they are called « kánsole ».
      Rat, on the other hand, is « tóto ».
      Files
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • While the idea of a giant dung ball is of course amusing, I was more thinking of an armored elephant-like creature. Or maybe a buffalo. Taking a scarab feels like we're stepping on the toes of the Tomb Kings a bit. Also, what's a bohicon, other than a region of Benin, as google tells me?

• Oh, sorry, I meant a Bonnacon of course ! :largegrin:

It's a creature that Calisson found on Wikipedia, the article says it used to live in Romania but for some reason, Calisson decided that it was cool for Africa.

It's a kind of giant bull that sends flaming farts when it runs away.

Rules have already been written for it. It just that I didn't like it in the Koghi army, as much as Calisson did not like my rules for Customized Prehistoric Beasts (we got the Tylopods instead).

My supreme argument to remove from Koghi was : « Let's reserve it for the Vermin Anteaters ». So there you go.

Basically, it's a large beast that, if it ever chooses Flee as a charge reaction or run away from a combat, sends a Flaming Breath Attack to whoever happens to pursue it.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • Oh, right. Yeah, I know that one. And the idea of it shooting fire on fleeing is a thematically very fitting one, of course. (Warlord mount?)

Actually, can we get a Catoblepas? I mean, it's another Greek creation, and said to live in Aethiopia, which is quite some distance away, but it's just cool. And it's assumed to be either a buffalo or a wildebeest, so it might fit.

• Great idea! The greater I've been a few weeks ago in Western Africa ;) Gnolls are really best option as that will allow us to use them as slaves for the main rulebook and there are a few gnoll miniatures around including plastic ones!

In western Africa there existed a caste of griots. They were poet/bards responsible for each tribe tradition and history. When a griot died he could not be buried as he had refused to work with soil in his life and soil would not accept him after death. Instead griots were buried in old baobab trees.

We could use this custom. Awaken burial tree of Anteaters powered by hundreds bound souls of dead griots would make a wonderful hive-guardian and high level wizard-monster. It would be also wonderful mockery of Treefathers. The baobabs are one of the few trees in Africa that drop leaves in dry period making them very suitable addition to the army.
      StormRider Games
      StormRider Facebook
      _____________Join my closed Facebook group: Åsklander Bar
      Or my WoT EU clan:
      The Ninth Army