Should I start to play T9A now? Why?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Should I start to play T9A now? Why?

Baranovich wrote:

There needs to be a positive thread called, "Why I'm still playing 9th Age". This thread is grinding into another rules debate, which can go in circles forever. :) ...although I am all in favor of any positive discussion over improving the layout or ease of understanding the rules.
      There are some who are still playing.
      Some have not started, or hardly.
      What can you say to incite playing T9A:FB, for someone who has not found yet the time/envy/investment/whatever reason?

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • I started playing because I like this kind of game. I played WHFB 8th Edition and enjoyed the style of game (and especially the hobby aspect. It is nice to have an outlet for my creative tendencies), but found myself making house rules or banning specific types of lists due to their extreme unfun nature. T9A doesn't have any of that. The game is fun to play.

I keep playing T9A because it is just a good time. I get to hang out with friends, and play a fun game. There isn't any egregious BS to contend with (no purple sun, no white lion death stars with the banner of brokenness, no 1+3++ flying blenders, etc.), so we can bring whatever lists we want and have a good time. That doesn't mean that a haphazard list will do as well as a carefully crafted list, but it does mean that in most cases, the game will be determined by skill rather than by broken tools.

The game play is fun, and the fact that I can make my army how I want without being compelled to buy the "official" models makes me happy.
    • I like this game because it's a rank and file game that requires correct, precise positioning of units to be successful. It's also really nice to be able to use any model from any company. Plus the rules are free: I can view the rules for any army my oppponent uses and have access to all the updates at no cost.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Morgan_Treeman ().

• I want to preface this by saying I have played many different tabletop games.

If you want to play a fun, tactical and balanced tabletop game, then you should play T9A.
      If you want to use what models you think look cool (within reason), then you should play T9A.
      If you want to have updates to rules, balance patches and hotfixes, then you should play T9A.
      If you want to have the best and most balanced set of rules, then you should play T9A.

If you want to roll buckets of dice with all your models in the middle of the table, if you want to have random uncontrolled activation of units, if you want things to be so simple a toddler could learn to play in 20 minutes or if you want to sit in one place rolling the same dice every turn, then T9A is not for you.

I watch people at my LGS every week playing various different games, games which have terrible design flaws or dozens of pages of FAQ's, games which have no tactics at all to speak of. These people stick to their games and don't know how much better it can, and should, be. They drive around in their Gremlin while we drive around in a new BMW, they just never looked to see that both were the same price.
    • lawgnome wrote:

I started playing because I like this kind of game. I played WHFB 8th Edition and enjoyed the style of game (and especially the hobby aspect. It is nice to have an outlet for my creative tendencies), but found myself making house rules or banning specific types of lists due to their extreme unfun nature. T9A doesn't have any of that. The game is fun to play.

I keep playing T9A because it is just a good time. I get to hang out with friends, and play a fun game. There isn't any egregious BS to contend with (no purple sun, no white lion death stars with the banner of brokenness, no 1+3++ flying blenders, etc.), so we can bring whatever lists we want and have a good time. That doesn't mean that a haphazard list will do as well as a carefully crafted list, but it does mean that in most cases, the game will be determined by skill rather than by broken tools.

The game play is fun, and the fact that I can make my army how I want without being compelled to buy the "official" models makes me happy.
      Is the game perfectly balanced? No
      is it balanced to the point of allowing a variety of playstyles? Absolutely. WAAC or Fluffbunny - the game is NOT decided at the list building stage. This game is about how you play and the luck of the dice. What you bring to the table only takes you so far - as it should.

draeth187 wrote:

I want to preface this by saying I have played many different tabletop games.

If you want to play a fun, tactical and balanced tabletop game, then you should play T9A.
      If you want to use what models you think look cool (within reason), then you should play T9A.
      If you want to have updates to rules, balance patches and hotfixes, then you should play T9A.
      If you want to have the best and most balanced set of rules, then you should play T9A.

If you want to roll buckets of dice with all your models in the middle of the table, if you want to have random uncontrolled activation of units, if you want things to be so simple a toddler could learn to play in 20 minutes or if you want to sit in one place rolling the same dice every turn, then T9A is not for you.

I watch people at my LGS every week playing various different games, games which have terrible design flaws or dozens of pages of FAQ's, games which have no tactics at all to speak of. These people stick to their games and don't know how much better it can, and should, be. They drive around in their Gremlin while we drive around in a new BMW, they just never looked to see that both were the same price.
      Free BMW 2002 - Must change your own tires and pump your own gas with no choice of colour
      1500$ Gremlin - As is.

Stick with the BMW ;)

Head of Lectors

Advisory Board

Quick Starter Team

"...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

- Grouchy Badger

• I play 9th Age simply because it addresses most of the problems faced by other tabletop games.

1. Without "official" models, players are allowed to create their armies in any aesthetic they please. Adhering to correct base size is really the only limit. Over these last few years I've seen some incredible armies. None of that was possible back in the times of WHFB, where at best I could see some conversions and paint jobs of the same GW models. Now, a variety of companies and even home sculpting provide the models.
      2. Free and easy to access rules cannot be understated. I recently got back into Warhammer 40k (not out of spite for 9th Age, I just wanted to add another game system to my palette) and I was alarmed by the entry cost. $50 for faction specific codex, $50 for the main rulebook, and another $10-$20 for all of the necessary cards and objective markers. I play space marines, and I liked the idea of playing them as their various sub factions (Blood Angels, Dark Angels, etc.). It didn't occur to me that these would each have their own book as well, and if I wanted to play in a GW sanctioned tournament I would be expected to fork out the dough for those also. This added cost nearly turned me away from 40k before I even started. I think everyone should at least try T9A, they don't have much to lose.
      3. Fantasy Aesthetic. For me, I see T9A as a Low-Fantasy world. What I mean by that is more A Song of Ice and Fire than Wheel of Time. A world where the heroes are flawed and the villains have some admirable traits, and the morality of the world is grey rather than black and white. As an Empire player I feel that my faction is the embodiment of this. Men rise and fall, clawing at each other for money and power while at the same time struggling to defend their conglomeration of states against the ravenous outside world. It's a cluster #### of politics, backstabbing, and nationalistic fervor. As a history teacher this freedom greatly inspires my interest, and I believe that all others can see T9A in the light that they find most appealing.
      4. Mass battles that can be played in under 3 hours. I like that I can have a regiment of 60 models on the table, and I like even more that that regiment actually represents hundreds of soldiers in an army. The small house to house skirmishes within a city in 40k can be fun, but my biggest enjoyment will always be columns of soldiers marching under waving flags and to the beat of dozens of drums.
      5. An open and invested community. This has been the first time that I've interacted with a community so dedicated to the good will and development of a game system. People still throw up their hands and give up from time to time, but most of what I see on this forum is people rolling up their sleeves and getting to work to try and make things better. And that's inspiring. Even though the game is never going to be perfect it's great to see that so many people around the world are invested in the success of this project.
      "The old wisdom born out of the west was forsaken. Kings made tombs more splendid than the houses of the living, and counted the old names of their descent dearer than the names of their sons. Childless lords sat in aged halls musing on heraldry, or in high cold towers asking questions of the stars.”

Show off your Gaming Club!

Southern California 9th Age Facebook Page

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wstanley ().

• The Beninator wrote:

kisanis wrote:

Free BMW 2002 - Must change your own tires and pump your own gas with no choice of colour1500$ Gremlin - As is.

Stick with the BMW ;)
      I really don't understand the car metaphor. T9A is not a cheap game at all. Probably best not to give new players false impressions. The only thing cheap about T9A is the rules.
      Depends how much cardboard you have...
    • Vamp87 wrote:

The Beninator wrote:

kisanis wrote:

Free BMW 2002 - Must change your own tires and pump your own gas with no choice of colour1500$ Gremlin - As is.

Stick with the BMW ;)
      I really don't understand the car metaphor. T9A is not a cheap game at all. Probably best not to give new players false impressions. The only thing cheap about T9A is the rules.
      Well, if cardboard is used, then that does validate the car metaphor, except that both cars have their interior stripped bare and potentially contain human defecation.
      The BMW is faster tho...
    • The Beninator wrote:

kisanis wrote:

Stick with the BMW ;)
      What I said has nothing to do with it being cheap or cheaper. I am saying it is more or less the same price, at worst. It costs over $400 to get properly started in AoS, which is more than a whole 4500pt army costs in T9A.
    • Vamp87 wrote:

The Beninator wrote:

kisanis wrote:

Stick with the BMW ;)
      no..........
    • I just started this thread below, explaining my motivations and reasons for why I started playing and continue to play 9th Age. Can't specifically tell anyone why they personally should start playing 9th Age in and of itself, but rather I give my own personal story which I think has many universally held beliefs that we can all relate to!

Link:
      The real reason I play 9th Age!
      There are many magic rings in the world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly!

The post was edited 3 times, last by Baranovich ().

• Kind of a beginner here, and I have to say I am absolutely fond of 9th age. I left my country (and my models) for more than a year now, with no possibility to play and I'm still absolutely thrilled by the project ! I follow all its developments and I can't wait to comeback home to push some toy soldiers on the table :)

I was kind of unlucky in wargaming at first. I collected GW models for years but never actually played with it. When I decided to do so by building a big dwaf army, GW crushed Warhammer (alongside my dreams) and put up AoS. After few months of despair, I heard about 9th age. I packed up my models, went to a store to get an initiation from a local game group and instantly fell in love. 9th age is exactly what I expected from fantasy wargaming : huge armies filled with monsters and led by mighty heroes clashing violently. I mean some stuff happening are trully epic and fun, with actual strategy.

But for me the most impressing thing about this game is how it is developed : when I learned it was built by an army of volunteers providing every rule and army book for free, while listening to the community and involving it through its development, I have to say I was in awe. To me this goes beyond wargaming, it shows that we don't need big corporations to create cool stuff and that "people getting together" actually works even for big, long-term projects.

Finally I would like to say to beginners that it's not as hard as it seems to get into this game. Without even talking about the quickstarter (sorry I didn't read it yet), I got my little brother (16yo) to play and have fun in 2h ! Taking into account rules explaination, the game itself and the points calculation at the end. Go for small battle (1500-3000pts) and take the straight forward units that looks cool but not too complicated. But it's true if you don't have an experienced player to tutor you it's quite a load to get. But this game is meant as a social experience you know, so go on facebook or else to look for a local gaming group, ask them to help they will surely be happy to show you !

And just a word for the 9th age team, you guys are doing great and I trully appreciate what you're doing. thanks and keep up the good work
    • There is no other hobby for me that comes as close to T9A that gives the same thrill, satisfaction, belonging and creativity.

You are able to build your own unique army and customize it 100%. While this takes some time, it all is your own choice and no matter your skill, a fully painted T9A army on a nicely made terrain looks epic.

I remember as a small boy going to a war museum and seeing these battles simulated by miniatures. I loved these simulations and could look to it for hours. With T9A for a couple of euros/dollars you can start your own army instead of going to the museum, how cool is that!

Do you love games like strategy games like Total War, Age of Empires? Fantasy Movies like the Lord of the Rings?

Than T9A is made for you as you get to fight orcs, dragons, undead. You will start to fear the power of cannons and magic, or waves of arrows of deadly wood elves. There are likely many man (and women) like yourself. If you find others that also like fantasy and strategy, T9A can give you (for free!) endless hours of epic and thrilling war simulation between mighty and unique races.

PS. There is one problem. I still call T9A Warhammer as for me it has remained the same epic game. Unfortunately the name Warhammer is owned by the company that besides starting and building this hobby, also destroyed it. T9A is Warhammer for and by the players, with no profit motivating the rules and army updates. So for those veterans that have played Warhammer or those that liked the game Warhammer: Total War, T9A is the evolution of that game. Eventually T9A will become as famous as Warhammer.
      Follow the adventures of Lord Drakon on his ferocious dragon Luna at: XIII Legion Dragonblog

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lord Drakon ().

• Why should you start playing T9A?

If you dont already wargame, then for the love of god don't! It will eat all your money, time and sanity buying, building and painting toy soldiers!

If you already have models from old game, then you absolutely should start playing T9A. Free rules that aren't so far from old game that you'll have too much to learn before you get the hang of it so what is there to lose?

You will be able to attend tournaments also, which you are hard pushed to find for old game. Going to tournies is great! how often do you get to be in a room with 50+ likeminded game nerds all with their own lovingly crafted unique armies to admire with a ready supply of beer? Whether you are capable of doing well or even interested is neither here nor there, if there is a tourney near you, go to it! you wont regret it!
      Take a look at my painted army so far. Feel free to share a pic of yours!

Pics of my ever expanding warriors army

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2018

WastelandWarrior Painting League 2019
    • I'm in it for the hobby. Even back in the days the most important aspect was always the hobby, converting and painting models and armies. Still, I was never good at painting just for the sake of painting, I needed goals and games to inspire me. Most inspiring were the tournaments. I love going to and hosting tournaments to engage with like-minded people and to share the hobby.

I got into 9th Age early on as I saw it as a chance to continue doing that, to continue painting my minis for a game I found interesting and to continue going to and hosting tournaments where I could engage with my friends. At first I was mostly excited about the rules, which offered the opportunity to keep using my armies as I always had. but the game evolved and got even more exciting. Though as more an more background has been released, I've found myself getting really invested in it, which has made me more inspired than I've been in a long time to try expand my armies and start new ones.

For my VC I've been adding models and banners to tie it to the 9th Age background, and I've started a Sonnstahl army taking inspiration from both fluff texts and some of the beautiful art pieces made for the project. Though since the release of the full WDG book I've also wanted to start a new army of them, devoted to Sugulag and Nukuja.

All in all, I see the whole project as a great source of inspiration to continue doing what I love.

Rules Clarification

Lord of the Hobby

Empire of Sonnstahl Blog, including links to my other blogs
      The 9th Wiki, a community wiki for the official 9th Age background
      T9A: Skirmish Campaigns