Kegiz Gavem – Nemed Dhuraz - the Ethiopian Dwarves of Light

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is here! You can read all about it in the news.

Our beta phase is finally over. Download The Ninth Age: Fantasy Battles, 2nd Edition now!

• Calisson wrote:

<off topic reply>

Ghiznuk wrote:

Never heard of the Sainte Chapelle…

By the way, how do you manage to visit two museums in one and the same day ? That sounds like a very rushed visit :D
      A jewel of medieval architecture, built in 1248 by King Saint Louis to shelter holy relics. Restored in 1855 to medieval state.Painted glass are extraordinary. See Pilgrims and Saracen Homebrew. Now I have a lot more pics of knights. :P

Took me 2 hours to visit at length.
      The other museum took me 6 hours. Got now plenty of pics of masks. Vodun Homebrew may get more pics. :P Not forgetting other Taphrian Homebrews. But not much for Kegiz Gavem.

Today, only one museum... Louvre.
      Number one tip for the Louvre: take a turn in the opposite direction whenever you see a sign saying "Mona Lisa". Most of the rest of the museum was almost empty and far more interesting when I was there. Not that I saw most of it in the half-day I spent there.
      A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

Do you hear the Ratmen sing, singing the songs of angry rats?
      It's the music of Avrasi, who will not be slaves again!
      When the beating of your heart, matches the ringing of the bell,
      There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!
      Will you roll all of your dice so that our banner may advance?
      Some will burn and some will run, will you stand up and take your chance?
    • OK, found some time to update!
      In particular:
      Explored the chariot as a mount for Ras and as a reliquary.
      Created “Chronicler” as a Stone statue champion.

Added a couple of pictures.

Pdf: drive.google.com/open?id=1h1I5z5hXg1cBGzSwVrVvdaHZVbJuk2sv
      Word: drive.google.com/open?id=1BVnzOL81dBZL67RONQL3NwaX-bg-iQSA

Note: I would not be surprised that some typos would be still left, I found some...

Social Media Team

UN Coordinator, aka UNSG

- druchii.net contribution: The 9th Age - Dread Elves
    • Nice brainstorming, folks! Will look through it in detail later on and fire some more proposals and sketches when less busy.

Random doodle of Gavemite coffee harvestrix. Note ancestress faces on the hem of the skirt:

Reference:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

• Hehe, most true! My drawing style has always been one of grit and wrinkles, doubly so when done on the quick like here, and extra much so when drawing women. Pale shadows of the original basis.

Inspirational reference material, fictive Aksumite character Mekonnen, by Jerome Matiyas:

• @Calisson: I really like the royal lion chariot and reliquary. Nice direction with the army list! The image of stone golems/hold defenders as a persistent part of Gavemite lands keeps popping up.

The Travails of Makada

In times of yore, in Iron bound, an Age of Ruin, the Fourth undone.
      There rose a tide of savage tribes, of Orcs and Goblins slaying scribes.
      Felling stelae, burning home, their arms too mighty, free to roam.
      In ancient towns were only death, bloodied under snorting breath.
      Trampled under filthy feet, toppling every marble seat.
      Unspoken forefather's name, corpses lay astrewn to maim.

Her legs both broken after raid, crawled forth a despoiled maid.
      Hair burnt off and flesh a crisp, no tongue even left to lisp.
      Hiding 'mong the husks of kin, finding infant starving thin.
      Makada took him as her son, giving milk while eating none.
      Holding boy so hardly grip'd, on single arm she crawled and slip'd.
      Miles and miles through ash and dust, over cliffs in windy gust.

Hiding deep mid bramble-thorn, wounds afresh and tendons torn.
      Makada hugged Grumaz up close, bearing future Ras through lows.
      Her pious form wild beasts would shun, and Goblin scouts the Light did stun.
      Sparing both for shouldering pain, their suffering relieved by rain.
      Caked in mud she reached strong walls, open gate the watcher calls!
      Dying sheltered carved she rune, for fallen Mountains of the Moon.
    • Kegiz Gavem Dwarves by Matthew Klaas de Witte

@Ghiznuk: Thanks for sharing! Fascinating for sure. And something for us to make use of in Kegiz Gavem in some form. I keep imagining stone golem guardians standing still in niches amid highland masonry structures, with trees growing up on both sides of them.

Canadian artist Matthew Klaas de Witte over on Deviantart accepted a commission from me to draw us his own vision of Ethiopian Dwarves for the Ninth Age: Be welcome to leave a comment for him under the artwork on Deviantart. de Witte has a deft hand at playing with historical styles in fantasy artwork, as can be seen in his gallery!

Also, some artistic impressions by a friend of mine, let's call him Deviatecod. To the left, insanity from deprivation of resource, mayhap thirst or hunger:

Furthermore, some thoughts from over on Bugman's Brewery:

Thrang Thunderforge wrote:

When you said that these dwarves worshipped a sun god it nudged a couple of things which I’ll mention here.
      One was that some fantasy work (perhaps D&D?) told the story of an elven theologian who proved that a primary dwarf god was a sky-god rather than an earth-god because the miners, by tunnelling, were opening the dark earth and bringing it air and light. (I think the dwarves disputed that suggestion!)

The other thing was the real world ‘labrys’. If you draw a north-south line on the ground and mark where the sun rises and sets with a little dot, and continue to do this all year, you get a bow-tie shape, or a double headed axe. I can’t find a suitable diagram to show this at the moment but it’s a direct link to how a double headed axe became the ancient symbol for the Sun. There’s a lot more to it than that but I thought it was an interesting tid-bit of information.

Pyramid building (Egyptian style or South American) might be an interesting dwarfish compulsion when forced to live in a flat landscape.

I find it very hard to marry up mesapotamian and associated cultures with dwarves, which are so deeply embedded in Northern European stylisms. But it’s very interesting to see the results!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

• Wellll………. the Mesopotamian and pyramid-building compulsion has everything to do with Infernal Dwarves, it's already been mentioned in NS6 by Hold Dwarves that they build pyramids because they long for the mountain.
      Ethiopia has not much (nothing) to do with Mesopotamia, actually.
      The two closest influences are Egypt and Arabia, but it had its own very original development, too.
      GHAÂAÂAÂARN ! — The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young
      First T9A player in West Africa
    • @Ghiznuk: Aye indeed! Just passing on input from other sites. You're welcome. I very much want to involve learned fantasy artists interested in history, whether or not they're into T9A in general. You can get some great and varied designs that way. Some may want to volunteer their vision when asked, others may be enthusiastically interested in the concept, but only do it for payment out of principle. I'd like to establish the niche of Ethiopian Dwarves as a classic fantasy theme for the future, akin to what GW did with Chaos Dwarfs and Skaven, but way less ambitious and with just a miniscule fraction of the art funding. It's all brand new now in the brainstorming stage, but some memorable artworks from different artists will go a way toward etching it into a wider fantasy consciousness.

Icon of Garuvebiz the Scorched

Legends tell of a strong and warlike ancestor who was the first to explore the rich and sacred coast overseas, uncovering mysteries both occult and divine, and learning of the Heavenly Light's will for Kegiz Gavem to grasp this dry land for her own and purify it from Infernal clutches. The name of this man was Garuvebiz, a strapping fellow who dyed his beard red with henna and spilt red blood in the sands for the sacred cause of the Light. First he was to discover, and first he was to set foot ashore among a mighty Gavemite expeditionary force led by Ras Avrakam II's oldest son, Yugnaz the Stalwart.

In battle Garuvebiz was a force unto his own, for his vision became filled by the Light on high as he slayed its enemies and cleansed the promised shores from both Infernal Dwarves and their slave soldiers. Yet the sheer success of this famous champion planted arrogance in his heart, and for this sin did the Heavenly Light cast him aside into captivity and punishment at the hands of Garuvebiz' hateful foes. They stripped him of dignity and armour, and chained his wrists. A command beyond words struck into the mind of him as he lay languishing in his cell, a higher call making Garuvebiz understand that he was to lift his head during his coming torment, and never once have eyes for anything but the light above.

The shackled champion did maintain his gaze upward into the bright sky while kicks and whiplashes rained upon his gnarled hide, yet he finally faltered and looked down for but a moment as the jailors lowered him into a pit of fire. His skin was burnt to a crisp for this brief loss of eye contact with the divine, yet the Light ultimately shielded him from the worst of the flames for the sake of his repentance, and for his resumed stare into the heavens above. And so it was that the cruel and jeering Infernal Dwarves dragged Garuvebiz' twitching body to a nearby Gavemite fort, and dumped his burnt form outside its gates in order to sow terror into the hearts of their pious foes. The Infernal Warriors left their still-smoking victim with a baleful laughter at their lips.

Appalled, the garrison of the fort took their burnt kinsman inside, and eventually discovered a hidden miracle while they slowly nursed him. The hellish flames had indeed seared and ravaged the skin of Garuvebiz, akin to the burning off of superficial pride. Yet their hot bite had not destroyed the flesh beneath the hide, for penitent Garuvebiz had proven his inner spirit to be pure and humble, and thus the Light saved him from death, though not from torture and disfigurement. And so his health and beard eventually returned by the blessing of the Light, and Garuvebiz the Scorched was both able to father sons and daughters, and return to the wars against the Infernal Dwarves overseas. And amid the Gavemite hosts, he bore his horrible burn scars steadily, and once more wreaked higher judgement upon his foes in battle.

The post was edited 10 times, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

• Light Against Darkness, by Mitchell Nolte

@Ghiznuk: They'll sure come, but later on. Especially when I want to practice drawing horses and rhinoceroses. There'll be doodles for all manner of factions in the future, though probably irregularly and far between. Up to my neck in projects mainly related to sculpting and selling minis, and doodling some Kegiz Gavem stuff has become a way to relax and do something I mustn't do for a little while in some odd evening. Yes, I'm obsessed with Dwarves!

The artist Mitchell Nolte over on Deviantart accepted a commission from me to give us his vision of a Gavemite Dwarf, preferably engaged in some activity against an Infernal Dwarf, for the Ninth Age. He drew the link to Mazdaism with its frontal clash between Ahriman and Ahura Mazda, of good versus evil, light against darkness, and set to work making some quick painterly sketches, and then set out to produce this piece of art. Be welcome to leave a comment for him under the artwork on Deviantart. Mitchell Nolte has a deft hand at illustrating historical scenes, fantasy and mythology in colourful artwork, as can be seen in his gallery!

Light Against Darkness wrote:

Swathed in heavenly radiance and girt for war did faithful Negusaz, son of Eraphram, son of Danak, son of Alemakyu, stand his ground against Azerak of the Chains.

For horned Azerak rose from out of a pit of flames beneath the shadow of his heathen idol, and he threatened Negusaz with a baleful end if he did not stand aside, and yet the son of Eraphram would not yield to let him pass.

And roaring an oath with tusked maw did Azerak tread forth from the hellfire in fury, for he brandished a twin-headed axe with murder in his eyes.

And axe of dark steel clashed with bright-lit sickle sword, locked in mortal combat.

For under the higher gaze of heaven and under the eyes of infernal idol did the warriors trade blows, where light and darkness met.

The painterly sketches, which are highly interesting for us as downsized thumbnail artwork material in their own right! Please take note, @Calisson:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Karak Norn Clansman ().

• Oh, that is gorgeous.
      A summary of all proposed ideas from the VS LAB brainstorm thread

Do you hear the Ratmen sing, singing the songs of angry rats?
      It's the music of Avrasi, who will not be slaves again!
      When the beating of your heart, matches the ringing of the bell,
      There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes!
      Will you roll all of your dice so that our banner may advance?
      Some will burn and some will run, will you stand up and take your chance?