Tipps for / Help with agressive play style

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

The latest issue of the 9th Scroll is available! You can read all about it in the news.

The brand new army book for Infernal Dwarves is finally available, along with a small surprise! Remember that it is a beta version, and provide us your feedback!

• Tipps for / Help with agressive play style

Greetings everyone,

ever since I've started playing Warhammer Fantasy and later on 9th Age I've been drawn to monstrous units and monsters themselves. At some point or another, every army I picked up and/or played with over the years brought forth lists including large units of monstrous Infantry/Cavalry and monsters.

Be it Shabtis and Sphinxes, Minotaurs, Trolls and Spiders, Rat Ogres and Rat Deamons or the whole army book of the Ogre Kingdom/Khans. :D

Kinda controversially or surprisingly I've always had great (in most cases actually greater) success with more defensive, counter-charging, sometimes even gun-linish lists.

Maybe that is or was due to the nature or the game, the meta, or, which I'm starting to believe more and more, me not fully commiting to an aggressive playstyle.
      I've started to notice that even when I try to build an aggressive list, that wants to engage in close combat, certain defensive elements sneak in.
      In the case of the Ogre Khans I absolutely love the Mercenary Veterans and I enjoy playing them with a brace of Ogre Pistols and Poison Attacks. But having them in my list, there seems to be a reoccuring thought meddling with my intended game plan: If I march and get into a good charge range, I can't fire their expensive pistols.

This brings me to the actual topic of this thread:
      Could some of you help me out with some advide or tipps regarding aggressive play styles?
      What are things that I should avoid at all cost? What are the things that I absolutely have to do (be it deployment or movement wise)?

I'm up for any kind of advice or criticism.

Here's my most recent Ogre Khans list (sadly I haven't been able to test it yet) for a point of reference:

Ogre Khans - 4499 points

• 565 - Shaman, Great Weapon, Light Armour, Binding Scroll, Lygurs’s Tongue, Wizard Master, Shamanism
      • 365 - Khan, BSB, Great Weapon, Death Cheater
      • 620 - Great Khan, General, Trolleater, Iron Fist, Yeti Furs, Obsidian Rock, Rod of Battle, Heart-Ripper
      • 860 - 10 Bruisers, M, S, C, Pennant of the Great Grass Sky
      • 275 - 4 Tribesmen, Iron Fist, Musician
      • 80 – 1 Sabretooth Tiger
      • 80 – 1 Sabretooth Tiger
      • 899 - 7 Mercenary Veterans, Iron Fist, Plate Armour, Poison Attacks, M, S, C, Banner of the Gyengget
      • 80 – 5 Scrapling Trapper
      • 245 – Scratapult
      • 430 – Frost Mammoth, Ogre Crossbow

The Great Khan is supposed to join the Mercenaries and the Shaman and Khan go into the Bruisers.
      If there are any daring problems with the list, please feel free to point them out or suggest a change.

Thanks in advance!
    • SnakeEyes wrote:

If I march and get into a good charge range, I can't fire their expensive pistols.
      I thought Ogre Pistols had Quick to fire? So you can march and shoot but suffer -1 to hit for moving and shooting. Give them Accurate as one of your Battle Scared options and you can march and hit on a 5+. Not bad, especially if throwing in poisoned attacks.

EDIT: I've realised that this is a massive lie and Q2F doesn't do this. Sorry.
      Never argue with Idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    • Sir_Sully wrote:

SnakeEyes wrote:

If I march and get into a good charge range, I can't fire their expensive pistols.
      I thought Ogre Pistols had Quick to fire? So you can march and shoot but suffer -1 to hit for moving and shooting. Give them Accurate as one of your Battle Scared options and you can march and hit on a 5+. Not bad, especially if throwing in poisoned attacks.
      EDIT: I've realised that this is a massive lie and Q2F doesn't do this. Sorry.
      No problem.
    • Maybe try dropping the scrataput, give yourself no ranged attacks and then you'll be forced to go full aggro ? Might not be the best way to play the book but it will make you push when you have no chance of doing damage sitting back
      ETC 2021 Luxembourg: Team Ireland (Captain)
      ETC 2020 Luxembourg: Team Ireland (Captain) :ID:
      ETC 2019 Novi Sad: Team Ireland :ID:
      ETC 2018 Zagreb: Team Ireland :O&G:
    • get more units instead of large units with chars. Combo charging and setting up charges is all agro. Only ever bring ranged stuff that can also fight or support the main goal of getting to get the enemy to you.

You could drop the bruisers for almost 3 *4 tribesmen. This will let you swarm the enemy. Same goes for mercs, split them into two units.
      The more moveable elements you have the more aggressive you can play.

The reason you loose is that your big units gets locked down easily. Thet get chaffed, run into a tarpit, one spell hit them all, etc.
      and I still believe; Light infantry should fight and shoot in 3 ranks, FREE command groups for EoS units. Imperial Guards should have weaponmaster and both parent and support, and that halbardiers should wear heavy armor. Brace for impact should be changed to, or there should be an extra order: " Have at THEM!" The unit gain battle focus.
      For Sunna and the Emperor!!
    • I don't play ogres but I run an aggro dark elf list and it was quite fun.

with no range you really got to get aggressive. So that means some extra chaff/redirectors. Also take more mobile stuff, even banners of speed become worth a bit more in aggressive lists. Or any other way to up speed and damage.

... Some armies can fo it, others not so much.