My Top 10 list of Why I like 9th Age and will continue to play and promote it:

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Quick one from me:

      Something I love about this game? The community that just pitches in and does stuff.
      Here's my example:
      @Eldan translated a bunch of the scroll articles into German yesterday. He isn't even staff. Someone just asked for it and he had some spare time.
      That is what makes us great :)
      List repository and links HERE
      Basic beginners tactics HERE
      Empire of Dannstahl HERE

      The post was edited 1 time, last by DanT ().

    • Zero rules disputes for what, 20+ tournaments? Sure some uncertainty about rules but no disputes ever.

      I can use any models I like.

      It's fun as *censored*

      My crap lists can win vs good lists provided I don't play like I've been dropped head first into the ground as a child.

      Community:
      Our national community (IRL) :love:
      The forum! To have your ideas bashed and/or shared with other like minded that you'd never had a chance to interact with otherwise, it's just plain awesome.

      Did I say it was fun? :D

      I can play with my monstrous rat AND it's competitive!!!! :thumbsup:
    • Wonderful thread, inspired me to get back to painting and hobbying. I figured I should add my own thoughts to keep things rolling.

      -The game gives me an excuse to be creative and do art. My job is tedious and mind-numbing, and T9A (and WHFB before it) has given me a concrete outlet for expressing myself and expanding on my creative skillset. Excellent self care.
      -Keeps me connected to a distant friend. Whenever I'm back in my hometown I know this game will be something we can connect over.
      -Tournaments and games nights give me a social outlet to meet people I would otherwise never get to know. I've made many friends through the hobby and It feels really good having a community of people I can feel free to be myself in.

      I've learned a lot about myself through cultivating this hobby. I think it's fair to say that my adolescence and young adult years would have been much different without this outlet. I am very grateful to the team and to the community here for investing so much of their time and energy into making something they love to share with the world. I think it's pretty beautiful that this community has come to be.
    • my reasons, in no particular order:

      -It is a game made by the players for the players. It is OUR game. Everyone who is part of this community has a voice. The devs DO listen. The magic phase in the 2.0 beta is the result of a large scale analysis of suggestions from the community. I made some suggestions regarding the OK book and my feedback was taken into account by making nearly direct changes to the AB. We made this game and we should be proud of what has been accomplished these last 3 years.

      -The wide variety of available options within army books and across armies in general. This is the result of generally good external and internal balance. It seems like >90% of the unit choices are viable in at least some builds. We are seeing a very good diversity of armies being fielded in tournaments and this keeps the game interesting. There are also many different viable lists for each army.

      -The free rules. The ability to read about all the 16 armies in the game without spending money is fantastic. When an update is released, you can simply redownload the rules at no cost. Of course for players prefering printed material, this is not so easy. But this is an inherent downside to printing stuff.

      -The modelling options. There are no official models. This is probably my favorite aspect to the game: lots of companies popping up to provide support to the 9th age and sending prize support. Go to a 9th age event and you will surely see a lot of creativity being displayed. You never know what you will face on the table. I love seeing what kind of models players have chosen to represent their units, all the crazy conversions! It is truly an expression of the player's personality and provides endless customization for the hobby.

      -I like the ruleset. I like the rank and file troops, the flanks and rears and the arcs of sight, the clever redirecting and flee moves. It is a game that rewards careful and precise deployment and positioning of units. The individual statistics of the units are important but count for nothing if the player cannot move the units properly. Terrain matters and so do the secondary objectives. Sometimes you face a difficult matchup. That is ok because you can make it your goal to get 5 points instead of 0. There are different ways of playing each game: aggressive all or nothing, you win hard or your lose hard. Or your go for more of a conservative strategy and try to get 10 points or at least 7.

      -I like the fantasy universe we play in: the epic knight charges, the dangerous magic, archers letting loose a hail of arrows, brutal monsters stomping into a block of troops

      -The community aspect: someone made a unit card template and I took that and made my own in photoshop to help me learn my unit stats. The work that goes into the 9th scroll. The hard work of staff answering rules questions. I had a rules question come up in a tournament, I asked the question on the forum and 10min later it was answered by rules staff and the players could get on with the game. Hobby contests. A few guys each painted a dwarf and the randomly chosen winner got to receive every other player's dwarf!
    • Just a few thoughts:

      - The game is so well balanced that I can use models that I've never used before and can play them COMPETITIVELY therefore mixing together fluff and themes into a reliable army.

      -The community is fantastic and much better connected now. Seriously every tournament game i play is a blast and I dont have any issues with "powergamers" just good people trying to be competitive in the battlefield.

      -The model range is vast and AFFORDABLE

      -Infernal Dwarves are back!

      -This game has potential for growth beyond what WH 8th ever was. We just need to keep playing in stores and promoting it.
    • Just going to pick and choose here:

      Ghiznuk wrote:

      T9A made us all adults. We are not being fed anymore a game and a universe. We can act. Even the models are not imposed, as T9A players are now setting up their own model brands.

      Ghiznuk wrote:

      I like it because the same game expresses itself in different ways and scales, we don't all play 30 mm.

      JWags wrote:

      I'm going to be at Buckeye Battles tomorrow with nearly 100 other 9th agers. And even though I got a list that was considered weak by the web reviewers, I don't care because I know I will have a blast. I also saw many great doubles game players today having a great time with no major rules disputes that I could see. It's easy to voice negative opinions on this forum but they don't speak for all off us, so lets keep the positive posts going. Hope to see some of y'all to tomorrow on the field of battle.

      Gabado wrote:

      -Keeps me connected to a distant friend. Whenever I'm back in my hometown I know this game will be something we can connect over.

      Gabado wrote:

      -Tournaments and games nights give me a social outlet to meet people I would otherwise never get to know. I've made many friends through the hobby and It feels really good having a community of people I can feel free to be myself in.

      Morgan_Treeman wrote:

      It is a game made by the players for the players. It is OUR game.

      Morgan_Treeman wrote:

      We made this game and we should be proud of what has been accomplished these last 3 years.

      Morgan_Treeman wrote:

      The modelling options. There are no official models. This is probably my favorite aspect to the game: lots of companies popping up to provide support to the 9th age and sending prize support. Go to a 9th age event and you will surely see a lot of creativity being displayed. You never know what you will face on the table. I love seeing what kind of models players have chosen to represent their units, all the crazy conversions! It is truly an expression of the player's personality and provides endless customization for the hobby.

      Morgan_Treeman wrote:

      -I like the ruleset. I like the rank and file troops, the flanks and rears and the arcs of sight, the clever redirecting and flee moves. It is a game that rewards careful and precise deployment and positioning of units. The individual statistics of the units are important but count for nothing if the player cannot move the units properly. Terrain matters and so do the secondary objectives. Sometimes you face a difficult matchup. That is ok because you can make it your goal to get 5 points instead of 0. There are different ways of playing each game: aggressive all or nothing, you win hard or your lose hard. Or your go for more of a conservative strategy and try to get 10 points or at least 7.

      Morgan_Treeman wrote:

      -The community aspect:

      PrettyBoy wrote:

      - The game is so well balanced that I can use models that I've never used before and can play them COMPETITIVELY therefore mixing together fluff and themes into a reliable army.

      PrettyBoy wrote:

      -The model range is vast and AFFORDABLE

      -Infernal Dwarves are back!

      -This game has potential for growth beyond what WH 8th ever was. We just need to keep playing in stores and promoting it.

      Thank you to everyone for all the work you do.

      I spent 3+ hours last night trying to figure out how to make a mini game for Orcs (See the last scroll for the fluff preview). I get to join a group, do some crazy stuff like this, then watch it get published and possibly enjoyed by people around the world.

      T9A is a *Platform* for those of us who are happy to roll up our sleeves and do it ourselves. Sure, the core game is the centre that we revolve around, but we've built something that can be so much more.

      Its *our* game - we've made something pretty damned awesome if I do say so myself.

      So to the founders, The ExB, the AdvB, and everyone else - Thank you - I'm having a blast!

      Head of Lectors

      Advisory Board

      "...take a step back and remember that we are playing a game where we roll dice and move little people around the board."

      - Grouchy Badger